Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Pollies are well known for living hard dangerous lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No it's because they're all crackers.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Birdstrike posted:

electricians are called sparkies because of sparks and also because who the hosed can be bothered saying "el-ec-trici-an" when it can be shortened ya bloody drongos

But like why do people encounter/think about/fetishize working class jobs to the point where they give them cute nicknames? It stands out to me as an outsider.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DancingShade posted:

I already know I'm an rear end in a top hat but thank you for offering to show pictures of your waterlogged feet as proof of your debating prowess and superior wordplay :confuoot:

i'm just mad as hell you'd have the balls to accuse me of being a desk jockey just because I called you out on your dumb as gently caress theory

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Recoome posted:

Yeah I am pretty sure I saw you there today believe it or not.

The Greens people were great but the NXT people were poo poo so lmao

Did you see the bikes? Wasn't sure if they were staying in one place or riding to prepoll to prepoll cause I think there's another on Queens Street.

When I was entering the cyclist party bikes were there and when I left they were gone.

Like a fart in the wind.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I don't have a cute abbreviated name for what I do for a living though so I mean am I really any better than a marketing VP because obviously my job can't be very dangerous

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Count Chocula posted:

But like why do people encounter/think about/fetishize working class jobs to the point where they give them cute nicknames? It stands out to me as an outsider.

They don't. They fetishize the successful tradie with a lifted Hilux and a jet boat.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MC Eating Disorder posted:

i'm just mad as hell you'd have the balls to accuse me of being a desk jockey just because I called you out on your dumb as gently caress theory

I'm impressed you think tinea is a badge of honor. You should sort out your foot hygiene.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DancingShade posted:

I'm impressed you think tinea is a badge of honor. You should sort out your foot hygiene.

I bet you're a foot model or a "footie" as you call yourself

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Has anyone brainstormed cute names for jobs people I know have like 'soccy' (social media manager) and 'shoppie' (designers 'cause they use Photoshop, but that's probably taken by people who work at Woolworths).

Hey I've said so much negative poo poo about Australia that I gotta say MONA is the best museum I've been to; beats out everything in New York.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

DancingShade posted:

Spoken like a true shiny bum.

Please tell me this isn't real Australian slang.

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer

MC Eating Disorder posted:

I bet you're a foot model or a "footie" as you call yourself

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Count Chocula posted:

Please tell me this isn't real Australian slang.

fair shake of the sauce bottle mate

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Pollie
Tradie
Shoppie
Choppie
Landlordie
Friendlyjordie
Cookie
Bookie
Pollie

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

We had 'bookie' in America.

Somebody called me a 'cobber' yesterday. That was weird.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/terrifying-man-in-ski-mask-with-rifle-just-from-a-band-filming-a-music-video-20160620-gpnbfh.html

I love Australia's gun laws, but it's so bizarre that even air rifles are illegal. The NRA is going to use this as a cautionary tale for years to come.

And no, this wasn't my band.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
im still called a seaman :smith:

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Sludge Tank posted:

im still called a seaman :smith:

Spunky?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We call em floaters

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

So whats this hot new aussie fad of calling electrocians sparkys about then?

Nickopops
Jan 8, 2006
You must be this funky to ride.
There actually a Wikipedia article about this for some reason, although not just for occupations https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminutives_in_Australian_English

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMlWGPt5kPg

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

No it's because they're all crackers.

This was perfect.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Nickopops posted:

There actually a Wikipedia article about this for some reason, although not just for occupations https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminutives_in_Australian_English

Hehe the url shortening changed that to read 'Dim...tralian_English'

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Count Chocula posted:

It doesn't just happen to blue collar occupations, since you get things like sawbones and chalkie and shyster and pollie and journo and muso. Giving things nicknames is pretty common in Australia, regardless of context.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Is there anywhere I can see that ACA report on Nauru as I kinda missed it (I know i'm not the only one who'd pass on watching ACA).
Apparently it was shithouse journalism as usual but this time it's hit piece sponsored by our government.

Ora Tzo fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 20, 2016

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Can we start calling ourselves Dimtralians?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It doesn't just happen to blue collar occupations, since you get things like sawbones and chalkie and shyster and pollie and journo and muso. Giving things nicknames is pretty common in Australia, regardless of context.

also places: servo, bottlo

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Count Chocula posted:

Has anyone brainstormed cute names for jobs people I know have like 'soccy' (social media manager) and 'shoppie' (designers 'cause they use Photoshop, but that's probably taken by people who work at Woolworths).

Hey I've said so much negative poo poo about Australia that I gotta say MONA is the best museum I've been to; beats out everything in New York.

You should definitely call yourself a shoppie it suits you well

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

Spent today handing out green htv in groom(lol) the ALA volunteers accused labor of stealing their htvs which they obviously didn't. They whinged to the second who took them as seriously as they deserved. We have so many parties at prepoll, the Senate candidate for the DLP is there everyday, loving hilarious everytime people tell her they didn't know that they still exist.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
Signed up for four hours of H2V'ing with the Greens on election day. Looking forward to being sneered at by boomers. :toot:

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Sawbones I learned from Star Trek.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

lol if you work on a current affair and don't just hang yourself

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
australians are lazy and also drunk

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol if you work on a current affair and don't just hang yourself

Cant, too busy planning kidnappings

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
or being invited to tour rape/torture camps

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Mattjpwns posted:

Signed up for four hours of H2V'ing with the Greens on election day. Looking forward to being sneered at by boomers. :toot:

Whether that happens will really depend on where you are, both electorate and occasionally booth-wise. I handed them out in the last state election in a safe Labor seat in Adelaide, and that was all pretty kind to me; all the hatred was being directed at the Liberal candidate and voters, I didn't actually get any blowback whatsoever.

This time I'm doing it in Melbourne Ports, and with the exception of the Caulfield area I'd be more concerned about the Labor volunteers than the Labor voters (in the Caulfield area I'd be worried about both, I do not envy people down that neck of the woods). Although that has led to me volunteering for the most hilariously 'oh my god this actually exists' role in an election campaign: staking out our election day paraphenalia on the night before to make sure nobody fucks with it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Cleretic posted:

Whether that happens will really depend on where you are, both electorate and occasionally booth-wise. I handed them out in the last state election in a safe Labor seat in Adelaide, and that was all pretty kind to me; all the hatred was being directed at the Liberal candidate and voters, I didn't actually get any blowback whatsoever.

This time I'm doing it in Melbourne Ports, and with the exception of the Caulfield area I'd be more concerned about the Labor volunteers than the Labor voters (in the Caulfield area I'd be worried about both, I do not envy people down that neck of the woods). Although that has led to me volunteering for the most hilariously 'oh my god this actually exists' role in an election campaign: staking out our election day paraphenalia on the night before to make sure nobody fucks with it.

Does the Jewish community really hate the greens?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Conservative Jews aren't too keen on the BDS agenda

A Banana
Jun 11, 2013
does anyone know if there's a compiled list on the various parties policies on indefinite detention? I'm across greens and the major parties positions but I'd like some more info to provide to the people I know who are never in their life going to vote green no matter what but can hopefully be convinced to vote for some other minor party who's position is ideally positive and at least not actively evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

THAT Jewish community does. It's the foundation of the currently-sitting member's support base, and basically the only part of the electorate that likes him. He's been doing his best to paint the Greens as anti-Israel and anti-Semitic just to galvanize that section against us, and that part of the electorate's been by far the most difficult and painful to actually deal with in any way.

How to deal with meeting people that think we're anti-Semitic is literally the only specific advice and instruction on a single detail I have been given during Greens volunteering. That's how difficult that part is.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jun 20, 2016

• Locked thread