Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I knew this would happen. I have to listen to this when I'm editing the audio this week too.

Yeah this subject may or may not be the source of about 15 straight minutes of bitching and moaning in the next episode. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Also sometimes the dude shifts slightly so your cursor is just too far right when you press the button.
And playing on Hard means it's more difficult to get a buffer to keep dudes from noticing you at their back.

So what I'm saying is that Coolguye's second guessing himself because of the difficulty. Which he chose.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I had the same 'arm's length is arm's length' problem when I first played through the game on normal, though you're right that the demands of the harder difficulty do make me more twitchy on it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I had the same problem too and it's something you feel out. Which you're unable to do because hard difficulty is making you twitchy.

These sane and rational arguments for why it keeps happening will not stop the legacy that is Corvo and Daud dancing though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

May I have this dance, Lord Protector?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Poil posted:

May I have this dance, Lord Protector?

There's never a bad time to use your training from RoboKy's School of Dance and Knife Tricks.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

If I remember right the first pair of students were sareth and leanna

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Zomborgon posted:

There's never a bad time to use your training from RoboKy's School of Dance and Knife Tricks.

With synchronized parrying!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Zomborgon posted:

Well we now know what the School Salute is.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just a heads up if you're one of those people watching this DLC without somehow having played Dishonored yourself, it's currently on sale on Steam.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Orv posted:

Just a heads up if you're one of those people watching this DLC without somehow having played Dishonored yourself, it's currently on sale on Steam.

It's also included in the free copy you get when preordering dishonored 2.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Orv posted:

Ooh, I recently realised I never picked up part 2 of the DLC, sounds like a good opportunity, thanks.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Binged this LP and I'm incredibly disappointed that you haven't read aloud a single of the Prince of Tyvia books. :colbert:

Seriously though, really enjoying it. I did Low Chaos everything so it's fun seeing the alternative.

Billie Lurk is the best sidekick

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

SirSamVimes posted:

Binged this LP and I'm incredibly disappointed that you haven't read aloud a single of the Prince of Tyvia books. :colbert:

Seriously though, really enjoying it. I did Low Chaos everything so it's fun seeing the alternative.

Billie Lurk is the best sidekick

The Prince of Tyvia's skin is too soft once you're in there's no way out.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

High Chaos Update

Eminent Domain (part 1):
Youtube Polsy

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I'll be straight with everyone except the Prince of Tyvia, but editing this episode had me cackling like a moron the whole time.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Coolguye posted:

High Chaos Update

Coolguye's a-bad (part 1)

edit: also

DISHONORED
Starring
EMPRESS JESSAMINE'S DANCE TROOPE
CORVO ATTANO
EMILY KALDWIN
and Featuring
DAUD

InfinityComplex fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 23, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

true story

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Good level. You definitely don't want to antagonise the guards here unless you're really up for a fight. I was actually surprised that Billie immediately killed that dude, but I guess I forgot that High Chaos was a thing that actually matters in the DLC too.

When I played this level I did also notice the way there always seemed to be more guards in odd places. I tried to methodically choke them out area by area, and I kept finding guards in areas I thought I'd cleared. I couldn't figure out if I'd somehow missed patrols, or if the game was spawning in new guards, or if the game was spawning in the old guards that I'd already silenced. I know that there are two guards that station themselves by the door to the legal district that you ended on (they have a brief bit of dialogue about how the Captain got a squad after what happened one night) and I swear I choked them out, went back round to clear the Hatters, and then when I came back to that door they were there again. I dunno what was up with that.

Oh, also if you already have the key you can get through that door by blinking behind them and they won't see you. Not a good idea, because they will still be there when you come back through at the end, will immediately see you, and commence guard hell if you're not quick.

You guys are also right about Daud's powers not having the range of Corvo's equivalent powers. Blink is a bit shorter, and if you use the Void Gaze (I'm a massive coward and am paranoid about missing things) there are hallways longer than your dark-vision's range. You kind of have to abuse the camera to make use of it, for some odd reason you have better range at the edges of your screen than you do in front of you.

Chauncy, the dead body you found, is in a different place in Low Chaos. You hear some Hatters talking about him, one dragged him back and tried to save him but welp everything's hosed so guess how that went for him. Does the hat actually let you go in there, by the way? I didn't actually think to try that.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

TheDarkFlame posted:

Does the hat actually let you go in there, by the way? I didn't actually think to try that.

I'm really not sure. I had the hat when I went up to the wood frame and the dude went to two-alert signs looking at me. I suppose we aren't dressed stupid enough for that. Trying to look up if the hat does anything seems to suggest there's nothing to it but I'd like for anyone who does know for sure to help out!

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I wonder how interesting the game would be if knocked-out guards eventually woke up. It would make clean hands an exercise in desperate scrambling rather than sitting in cupboards and waiting for gaps in the patrol route.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Sorites posted:

I wonder how interesting the game would be if knocked-out guards eventually woke up. It would make clean hands an exercise in desperate scrambling rather than sitting in cupboards and waiting for gaps in the patrol route.

I think it would be frustrating in practice and make more busywork stuffing every guard into dumpster to be sure they don't get up. How would a guard react if he woke up dangled over a pipe 20 metres above the street anyway?

It would be better for the guards if they remain unconscious in a grimy, bleak world with supernatural assassins that do terrible things to bodies.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I disagree. Metal Gear Solid had guards waking up and you could prevent that by dragging them into a locker, sure, but in Dishonored everything is really fast and easy to do. No other game I've seen lets you go straight to shouldering a guy after neutralizing him, and is one big gripe I've got with the next Deus Ex because Adam has no excuse for only being able to drag a body. Having to consider where you are, what your options are, should make playing non-lethally more challenging and active.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Lunethex posted:

I disagree. Metal Gear Solid had guards waking up and you could prevent that by dragging them into a locker, sure, but in Dishonored everything is really fast and easy to do. No other game I've seen lets you go straight to shouldering a guy after neutralizing him, and is one big gripe I've got with the next Deus Ex because Adam has no excuse for only being able to drag a body. Having to consider where you are, what your options are, should make playing non-lethally more challenging and active.

I was thinking more along the lines of Hitman where killing (and non lethal when it applies) isn't exactly hard because it's expected you set your own challenge and try different approaches. It's much more difficult to get in and out only killing the target and being completely unseen in general. Meticulously killing/choking everyone in a level removes a lot of variables.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
That avatar is still the best thing I've done on the forums :allears:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The hat is just another hint that the Hatters have stolen the key. If you pick it up before learning about that, it updates your objective.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

The hat is just another hint that the Hatters have stolen the key. If you pick it up before learning about that, it updates your objective.

Makes sense, they'd want as many ways to more directly lead the player from zero info to what they need to know in case someone murdered all the guards before they did their standard "Yo let's exposition" moments and avoided reading everything.

No one can refuse a free hat.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Aumanor posted:

So... Do you intend to upload the low-chaos intermissions for the base game at any point, Coolguye?

Orv posted:

Those will probably go up today or tomorrow.

Soo...
(Tell me if I'm being obnoxious, I'll stop)

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

He's too busy playing Viscera Cleanup Detail.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Lunethex posted:

He's too busy playing Viscera Cleanup Detail.

-to clean up his own messes.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

You say it's bad design, but an arm with a sword clearly has a longer reach than an arm without a sword.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

They might get a few cuts but you could probably choke someone out with the flat of a blade.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
That open area in front of the wall of light is where I made those screenshots I posted a little bit back. The guard spawns really are ridiculous and I kept failing at picking guys off without being detected so I said "gently caress it" and broke out the grenades etc. The building they're all over a bit further in is apparently the local city watch office so at least the floods of guards make a bit more sense there.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

TheDarkFlame posted:

You kind of have to abuse the camera to make use of it, for some odd reason you have better range at the edges of your screen than you do in front of you.

The field of vision in 3d graphics is commonly modeled as a pyramid-trapezoid thing rather than a cone (as it is for actual fov) because the rendering math is waaayyyy easier. Since the far end is always flat, normal to your line of sight, the diagonal line to the edges is longer than the straight line to the center of your screen.

What you're seeing is common in games with darkness or fog effects, because you can just draw the effect first and then the game world with a small rendering field, which allows you to have larger game objects half-in half-out of the sight range; only the "in range" parts will be drawn, with no additional range checking.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Sorites posted:

I honestly thought they did. I tried a ghost run knocking out every guard and there were alerts anyway. I assumed they were waking up.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Aumanor posted:

Soo...

I will yell at him. Literally.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Aumanor posted:

Soo...

No, you need to keep bugging me about this stuff; I need to do it and I am constantly distracted by a hundred other priorities.

MooCowlian posted:

You say it's bad design, but an arm with a sword clearly has a longer reach than an arm without a sword.

I'd buy this a lot quicker if the assassination animations didn't involve holding the guy's neck in the first place!

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 23, 2016

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

High Chaos Corvo/Daud merely has a palpable blood lust that drives him to go the extra mile for the kill.

Low chaos Corvo/Daud is a meek and gentle soul who is worried about disturbing someone, hence the shorter range.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Hm, hm. Yes. Of course.

Dishonored 1 is 50% off due to the summer sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

You need to be close to someone to cuddle them to beddy-byes, to whisper sweet nothings into their ear.

• Locked thread