Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Well uhh, just like with Harvest Moon in general, you're kinda in it for the normalcy as well, so I quite liked this update.

And what monster types need names?

Whoops, I knew I missed something, I'll edit it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Did someone mention something about a cursed stone before? It sounded familiar. If two people are mentioning it it must have plot significance.

For the Troll and Titan, call one Gog and the other Magog.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Did someone mention something about a cursed stone before? It sounded familiar. If two people are mentioning it it must have plot significance.

For the Troll and Titan, call one Gog and the other Magog.

We read the book that mentioned it earlier, which is what Cecilia's referring to.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh, in that case there's a chance it's just world-building, but I doubt it. Or maybe it's like a mechanic where you can find a cursed stone when mining or something.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Is the vote for which anime you marry still going on?
If so I would like to place a vote for
##vote
1 Sharron

As for monster names... If you get a titan, name it Kronos.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Call the Troll DP. :unsmigghh:

Titan can be Promee~

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

LordHippoman posted:

Welp, time to faint.

This is so great. I'm loving this janky crap game. I assume Medication doesn't work if you've been Sealed, or does it get a special exception?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

This is so great. I'm loving this janky crap game. I assume Medication doesn't work if you've been Sealed, or does it get a special exception?

Seal does block Medication, yes.

That really becomes an issue on a later boss who can inflict both Paralyze and Seal. It's...unpleasant.

Zebrin posted:

Is the vote for which anime you marry still going on?

Yup, thanks for voting.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Oh, in that case there's a chance it's just world-building, but I doubt it. Or maybe it's like a mechanic where you can find a cursed stone when mining or something.

It's not important that Cecilia mentioned the stone...what she said afterwards might be worth looking into, though...

Brerose
Jun 10, 2016
##Vote
1 Bianca; Mist; Sharron

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014

Mzbundifund posted:

As HippoMan said, it does. I know that by Rune Factory 4 at least, spells can be upgraded. The status restoration spells slowly expand out into healing multiple status effects, to the point where any level 10 restoration spell can cure everything, including Sealed, and can be used while Sealed.

Kallev fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 24, 2016

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Kallev posted:

As HippoMan said, it does. I know that by Rune Factory 4 at least, spells can be upgraded. The status restoration spells slowly expand out into healing multiple status effects, to the point where any level 10 spell can cure everything, including Sealed, and can be used while Sealed.

There's certainly no spell leveling in this game, sadly, although I'm glad to hear it's something they added. Medication does also restore a bit of HP, though, which I forgot to mention in the update but you'll see when I use it properly.

Sadly though, I am having some technical difficulties, so there may be a bit of a delay on the new update (I try to do weekly.) It's nothing as bad as having my file get deleted or anything, like that FE12 one, but I might have to mess around with it for a few days here to get it back to normal.

Anyway, here's a preview for the next update:

This isn't a repeat image. This dialogue also apparently only shows up AFTER you've rescued Cecilia. I love Rune Factory's janky translation so much.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

This isn't a repeat image. This dialogue also apparently only shows up AFTER you've rescued Cecilia. I love Rune Factory's janky translation so much.

To be fair, I think out of place comments from townsfolk are basically a genre staple these days, Stardew even has them.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, this game is really taunting the hell out of you with these festivals you can't possibly participate in.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Glazius posted:

Man, this game is really taunting the hell out of you with these festivals you can't possibly participate in.

You will enjoy this update then!

Update 19: The Cook Off

We’ve got a busy update ahead. There’s gonna be a dungeon (We don’t finish.), a festival (We don’t participate in.)...fish. Lots of your favorites. Time to get into it.

Headed off to Clemens Cave with egam.

Sharron is still in denial. By the way, this dialogue I think doesn’t even show up until AFTER you’ve saved Cecilia. The Rune Factory script has a...couple hiccups.

With our new Rod, the average levels of fish we catch are way better. This is a 560g Raindow Trout!

Some things, however, will never change.

Also, you can charge the fishing rod.

It makes the bobber go out a little further. I don’t think this does anything. I couldn’t find out online anywhere if this did anything. So I’m operating under the assumption it’s just there to eat your RP.

I uh, I spent a while fishing. I don’t even know where egam went. I think he got stuck on the geometry.

Oh, Sharron was bodyblocking him. Thanks, Sharron.

It’s nice to know not everyone is in denial about our heroic rescue.

Rosetta is going to be dead within the month. I don’t trust Mist.

Anyway, I wanted to pick something up here.

First though, gotta sell the fishing haul. Theoretically, the mining is still more profitable, but it’s got issues with costing a lot of RP and RNG deciding to just throw Scrap Iron at you.

This is what I want. 75% reduction to Sealing chance and it goes in one of our empty equip slots? Sure.

I just wanted to show off the tome for Medication to note that our old pal Egam Dnarg is still out there.

Went to check on my Hoe at Leo’s and here’s a place I think the guy converting his dialogue into fake-Scottish made an unfortunate decision. You uh, “taint finished”?

Let’s go somewhere things will be less vulgar.

Merry Runesmas.

: Donnel, you visit to talk with me, eh? Come and see me anytime if you want to talk this much!

...I’m honestly just here for the bath.

But since we’ve hit 3 Friendship Points with Melody, she’s pretty much given us the keys to her house, and we can get in anytime. All the villagers do this, it’s required for a few sidequests. Sometimes it’s just for fun.

Shaun has his wool back, so I’m stealing it again.

Some Honey from OhGod too.

Dante’s joining us today because he was in front of egam and I didn’t notice when I asked. Whoops.

He holds up surprisingly well against the Troll.

Even the Killer Ants were no match for his pointy stick.

Sadly, these rocks yielded only disappointment.

So, instead of going west twice to the area Cecilia was in, I went through the northeast exit in that room west of the start point.

Additional Trolls! But nothing else of note, really.

Just extra fields and disappointing rocks.

More ants, and Dante’s stuck behind a fire.

So here’s the dungeon gimmick. This wall of fire is blocking our way further into the cave! How do you get past it?

Well, the Watering Can can put it out. I’m thankful they didn’t make you do something dumb like have to buy and use Aqua Laser or something here.

Also note that Dante is sealed. Status Effects can hit your monsters too.

In this room is a small lake, and a new enemy, this is the Beetle. Not much special about him, he really only has one notable ability.

Which is that his attacks knock Donnel flat on his rear end.

Dante finally falls before the insectoid menace, but the threat is cleared and so is this whole room.

Lots of fields here, and right next to a lake for watering. Too bad this is pretty drat deep in the cave.

Also...welp. This looks like a good place to stop exploring for now…

Finally.

This is a dead end, so it’s time to warp on out.

It’s like, 9:00 PM, so I think Sharron’s the only person still outside.

Here you go, Sharron.

We’re seriously getting to be good pals with the neck ghost. Also, since we can do it now, I dropped by Melody’s shop late. Actually, I think this one is always open at 9:00, but I’m power mad and I’m going to break and enter even when it doesn’t really count.

She never leaves that counter.

Sadly you cannot bathe twice a day because of Melody’s weird draconian hygiene law.

We can also barge into her room now. There’s nothing really worth mentioning, sadly. You can’t take spellbooks from the witch or anything.

Welp, time for bed.

AW HOLY poo poo IT’S THE BIG COOK-OFF (It is extremely unlikely you could participate in this during Year 1. It might be impossible. But sshhhh, BIG COOK-OFF)

I also need a kitchen, Russell, and I live in a shack.

Sometimes I think the whole Festival thing is just a racket run by Jasper to accumulate as much free food as possible.

I’m just saying it’s a probable theory.

Does this count as an innuendo?

Lara has character traits?

I’m sad we can’t buy Melody’s weird holistic medicine.

Congrats on your character trait, also your eyes are clipping into your hair.

Jasper is a true master of his craft.

So, here’s how the Cook Off works. Jasper names a random dish, and then you have to make it. It could be one of 6 things, and they all require specific ingredients, so hoarding ingredients isn’t a bad idea. However, even if you turn in what he asks, there’s a chance you won’t win. Woo, RNG!

I don’t think there’s a prize for this aside from bragging rights, though.

So I just decided to help Jasper get more Iron in his diet.

I think he ate an entire stack of 9. Goddamn, Jasper. Or he’s just hoarding it to upgrade his tools.

Meanwhile Sharron is busy being antisocial again.

Welp, time to fish.

And fish.

And fish until my inventory is full.

Then I went to grind on some Trolls. Don’t let this image fool you, I was mostly not getting my rear end kicked.

But the ants come two at a time...so they’re quicker EXP.

Nice.

Good.

LE!

And that’s how I channeled my Cook-Off rage into two more levels.

That’s all for now. Next time, more Clemens, probably, and we’re getting closer to being able to do two sidequests!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LordHippoman posted:

Also, you can charge the fishing rod.

It makes the bobber go out a little further. I don’t think this does anything. I couldn’t find out online anywhere if this did anything. So I’m operating under the assumption it’s just there to eat your RP.

With weaker fishing rods, it doesn't do too much (or anything at all), but with the better, higher-material rods, it improves the quality of the fish you catch. I know at least in RF2, you can only catch Lover Snapper at all with a charged up rod, it might be the case here, too.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

LordHippoman posted:

So I just decided to help Jasper get more Iron in his diet.

I think I love Jasper too. :allears:

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 25, 2016

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
I don't see any cook-off judgment results in this update, how will we know if our unconventional food offering swept away the competition?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Rawkking posted:

I don't see any cook-off judgment results in this update, how will we know if our unconventional food offering swept away the competition?

Sadly you don't actually get to see the contest results unless you enter the requested item. This goes for all the festivals. I'm sure Jasper appreciated it though. He is now substantially less likely to get Sickle Cell Anemia.

KataraniSword posted:

With weaker fishing rods, it doesn't do too much (or anything at all), but with the better, higher-material rods, it improves the quality of the fish you catch. I know at least in RF2, you can only catch Lover Snapper at all with a charged up rod, it might be the case here, too.

Huh, after this cast I just got like, a level 4 Salmon. I guess it wasn't big enough of a sample size, so I'll take your word on that. It's kinda hard to find a lot of info for this game online, which is a pain, as it means that unlike with my last LP I can't just pull up the giant numbers database.

HardDisk posted:

I think I love Jasper too. :allears:

That's the purpose of the thread.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Jasper's just happy to be here, isn't he?

Well, that or he's got pica.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 20: Donnel, MD: Episode 1

Welcome back to the fast paced, wolf riding, sword swinging adventure. I’m about to hideously fail at clearing out a cave!

This should have been my first bad omen. I got smacked by a Troll.

The ants ruined poor D-Dog. They healed off him, for insult to injury.

Bad Omen 2: So you know how I was all hyped about that Wind Sword? Uh. I may have forgotten enemies have...elemental resistances. I usually do 20ish damage per swing. Bees lower it to 6. I might need a backup weapon. Also gently caress bees.

Thankfully the Antidote Herbs are abundant in lava hell bee pit.

Uh, speaking of.

Good chance to try out our Medication spell, though! 80 HP regained and all status effects cleared? Good for the tiny RP cost. I think it’s less than a sword combo right now.

We haven’t been in this area before. It’s west of the Bee spawner, and full of planting land and some mining rocks.

Also a handy save point! That’s...weirdly early in the dungeon, at least if you take this path. To be honest, the layout of Clemens is weird. I’m trying to picture it right now and having trouble.

Here’s a spawner that’s generating our old Firey Friends. This was strike 3. So, the thing is, he’s hiding by the spawner, and in my rush to destroy it…

I ran directly into the fire AOE like 3 times. Donnel is hiding in this screenshot out of shame. These guys kinda suck to fight, because after you get a combo off, you can either make a beeline away, in which case you might eat a fireball to the rear end, or circle it, in which case the fire AOE can wreck you.

This...did not go well. I’m going back to town, and we’ll have some villager chat.

: I’m happy she wasn’t injured, but you really should scold her, or she’ll just run off again!

Lady, your son locked me in a room with a chimera like a week ago.

Finally, we’re acknowledged.

Oh no stop

: Lara, the nurse that everyone loves. Felicity, the mayor’s daughter who is a little sick right now. Melody, the girl that runs the bathhouse in the witches outfit. She’s got some sort of charm. Tabatha, the girl who has a demeanor not from this world. Bianca, she’s selfish, but hot! Mei, she looks young, but is older than you’d think. She makes the most of that. Mist, she works earnestly, but this sometimes slips. Sharron, a surprise package who lives in the ruins. She’s tough to approach, but is still very pretty. Tori, the way she talks is a little gloomy, but men who like a gentle soul can’t resist her. And finally Rosetta, a girl with a wicked tongue who comes to collect your shipping boxes. Well, that’s it, they’re all so cute, it amazes me! I never know which one I’d choose.

[

That was 11 screenshots we’re never talking to Lukas again.

Well, uh, let’s see...someone else.

Camus will happily pay for our million pounds of fish.

Neumann, however, won’t sell to you on rainy days. This doesn’t really matter because he doesn’t have anything worth buying but the house upgrade anyway.

(I just noticed Felicity and Donnel have disappeared in this screenshot for some reason)

: I want to live in a better town. But I don’t know what I can do to help.

Flee, Felicity. Flee this horrible town of lovely caves and creepy poets.

It’s not time for the Bathhouse to open yet, but since we’re friends with Melody, we can drop by anyway.

Donnel, however, refuses to bathe without paying the loving dime or whatever, so we can’t actually use it.

These are the only times you can find Melody in her room. Maybe she’ll have something interesting to say.

Thanks, Melody.

: I don’t know where I went wrong, but I ended up working in a bathhouse. I do wonder sometimes.

Okay, that kinda rules, Melody.

So, we can actually progress a sidequest now. We’ve broken 3 FP with Godwin.

That’s all we need for now.

: On behalf of the town, let me express our gratitude. Thank you very much indeed. By the way, what was in Clemens Cave? Was there another large monster in there?

Give it time, Godwin. Give it time.

For the next step of the sidequest, it’s got to be evening. So...uh...I could take a bathroom break, or make a sandwich, or...

J A S P E R T I M E

Well, that didn’t take much time at all. Huh. Well, there’s that bee problem…

Time for a drastic solution.

Thanks, Tori.

It is time to become the hillbilly wizard.

Oh, we can grab Edward’s house key as well, since we’ve hit 3 FP with him as well. It’s not super useful. I think we can talk to Lara here as well.

So, someone earlier in the thread mentioned that these might be useful if they’re permanent, so I’m going to try them out. Oddly enough, you can only buy these one at a time. Maybe because they don’t stack?

Alright, back into Clemens for some...spelling tests. (kill me)

Oh no! A fearsome Titan is bearing down on Donnel!

Only Egam can help us now.

There’s about a half second cast time, but we can now shoot flame!

...19 damage? I get that much from a sword swing for like, a third of the RP!

It’s a little better on the bees at least. That’s 33, not 3 and 3. It doesn’t hit multiple foes. Magic is...pretty poo poo in this game.

Still, I was adamant, and spent far too much time sitting here hurling fireballs at bees.

At least this spell is still good. Still a pal, Egam.

Time to try out the Neutralizing Solution.

Huh. Works as advertised. I cleared out a little path. We’ll see if it’s still gone next time I enter the cave.

I spent the rest of my HP bar mining.

It was a sad haul. Dejected, Donnel trudges back home, sick of magic and rocks and bees and lava caves.

But maybe Godwin will have some advice after dark.

Or maybe...wait a minute.

TWO UPDATES AGO

...Oh. Oh gently caress.

: Really? Hold on a moment.

Huh.

Well.

NEXT TIME ON: DONNEL, MD

holy poo poo i can’t believe you got tuberculosis from a rock

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

And that's how Norad discovered radioactivity.

... okay probably not but it makes for decent headcanon.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Was Cecilia sickly when she was younger before she gave this pebble to Felicity? Also everyone knows a cursed stone doesn't make you sick, it just weighs a lot and you can't get rid of it normally.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
As a first step in a quest, that one's not so bad. I really doubt it's going to be the whole story.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 21: Donnel, MD: Season Finale: Never Lupus

On the last episode of Donnel MD…

Tonight, the conclusion…

Well, we should probably tell Godwin his daughter might have been hoarding a cursed rock by accident.

He’s too busy mayoring.

Oh. Wow. These are some attractive choices.

Granted, none of them actually do anything.

: I agree, that would be convenient...but given the town’s population, would anyone use it at night? Donnel, you are often working late, eh?

: Dr. Edward examined her many times, but he still can’t find the cause.

Apparently nobody read that book about the cursed rock.

Dramatically running through the rain to the Hospital. I guess Edward’s house key is going to come in handy.

There’s typically no reason to even go upstairs, you could probably go through the whole game and never know the hospital has a second floor.

Oh, I forgot Camus lives here. Lara doesn’t, though. I don’t know where Lara lives. Maybe the Inn?

: Hey, Donnel. I hope you don’t mind me asking, but how do you feel about Melody?

: I don’t have any special attachment to her or anything, if that’s what you mean.

Donnel slyly hides Melody’s house key.

: I see… Sorry, I was just wondering, y’know?

Well, anyway. Back to more important matters.

Edward, Felicity.

Edward we have actual problems to discuss.

EDWARD PLEASE.

You have to actually take the stone out and give it to him.

You didn’t say anything about evil auras!

: Where did you get it?

: Cecilia gave it to Felicity, a long time ago.

: What’s this? So Felicity’s poor health wasn’t because of sickness after all! That’s why none of my medicine worked on her.

That sounds dangerous, Edward.

Their portraits don’t change throughout this whole conversation, by the way, so it just kinda looks like they’re screaming this whole thing at eachother.

: Yes, without a doubt.

: Great!

: I’ll dispose of this stone properly. Thank you, Donnel, you’ve done a great service.

Running back to Godwin’s house has been cut for time.

It has literally been 20 minutes, Felicity.

: I’m happy that you’re feeling better.

: I feel great now. Thank you very much!

So that’s the end of the Felicity sidequest. That’s all it is, Cecilia accidentally gave her an evil rock that gave her fantasy-wasting-disease. I warned you this was silly back in like, Update 2 or 3.

There’s no reward for this other than the ability to marry Felicity. But hey, it’s easy enough to do regardless.

Also even though we saved her life Felicity only has 2 FP. She would have liked it better if we’d brought Eggplant Curd.

Two seconds after she recovers and you’re trying to pawn your daughter off for a puppet successor.

I don’t trust you, Godwin.

Well, that was an eventful day. Time for Donnel to tell all his monsters what a hero he is.

And there we go.

So, I’d like to finish off Clemens, but we’re getting really close to the Holiday on Summer 1st. And if I used the Sleeping Bag, I might miss it. So I’m basically going to spend a few days just mining, gathering wood, and doing miscellaneous poo poo. I won’t make you suffer through all that, here’s the highlight reel.

First off, my skills and wood/money numbers pre-grinding.

Sabrina made an innuendo at me.

Even though Felicity is cured, she’s still got her job standing by a wall at Neumann’s.

...Neumann. Seriously?

Got a key to Leo’s house.

Got my Hoe back.

Results of the Neutral Agent: Not permanent. Sadly, Medication and Antidote herbs totally obsolete it.

Here’s a demonstration of the Strong Hoe. Charge up, and…

Three tiles. Nice.

Godwin is concerned about our social life.

Showering Sharron in Fire Crystals is doing wonders. I’m glad the thread still seems to be voting for her.

Mining loot almost worth 10k? Not bad.

Just wanted to point out that for some reason the Anti-Paralysis ring is called the “Parasite Ring”. I’m guessing they saw “Para” and just kinda filled in the blanks.

Our Toros Sweet Potatos are still here, by the way. Regrowable crops, good poo poo.

And here’s the results after the two days. Logging still eats way too much RP, upgrading the axe is going to be priority number 1, I think.

Time for the Beaches to open!

So, this is about the easiest festival in the game. Just talking to people during it will increase your FP with them. That’s about it, though.

Thanks, Edward.

Oh, hey, they acknowledged that.

We now know how to kill Jean, if we must.

She was literally in a volcanic cave like a week ago, Russell.

I’m not sure why Jasper is standing on the stage, but I’m okay with it.

I still hate you.

This is all Nicholas has been saying to me since I finished the Cecilia sidequest. I think I have to trigger the next plot flag to change it.

Sadly, swimming is not one of our skills, like “Camping”, so Donnel will never be able to enjoy it.

Also we’re now at at least 3 FP with everyone in town except the children and Zavier, who is an idiot.

Today was a good day.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
We can't swim? Well, I suppose HM games are rather short on aquaculture, and also it would mean an extra set of sprites.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Glazius posted:

We can't swim? Well, I suppose HM games are rather short on aquaculture, and also it would mean an extra set of sprites.

You get to walk on water in Rune Factory 3 with a pair of ninja boots. Or skim across it on a lillypad you could put in your pocket.

Swim though? Nope. Nevermind the fact that most characters there actually had swimsuit sprites...

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wow, what's the point of the neutralizers if it's not permanent? In the third game they are, though those poison tiles only appear on farmable tiles in the wild and not just in your way and they can appear randomly like any other thing that can appear on a farmable tile (sticks, rocks, herbs, etc').

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
The first Rune factory was very much a "Let's throw poo poo at a wall and see what makes a good game" type deal. There were a lot of questionable decisions made that they really smoothed out in the later parts of the series. I read the reviews and decided to give one and two a miss, and got three instead. Apparently I made the right decision.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yeah, at this point you play the first and second to see how the Rune Factory series started off. The handheld games afterward just blow them out of the water in basically everything.

And then the console titles tend to be their test-beds for very odd design choices. Not sure why.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Yeah, everything mentioned above seems pretty accurate. I haven't played any of the other RF games, the first one was kind of a curiosity I remember buying at a Gamestop back around when it came out.

I have fond memories of it, but playing it again for the LP, along with reading some of Truthkeeper's RF4 thread, really shows that it hasn't aged...well. There are a lot of design decisions that are just sorta...bad (You're very likely to die to Greater Daemon by swinging your sword too much because the RP system is very restricting at first, the controls feel really weird sometimes, enemy stats and status effects are poorly explained.), and there's some stuff that just feels incomplete.

The farming, oddly enough, feels kinda useless, despite it being a Harvest Moon series game. It takes ages and the crops you produce sell for less than just a few half-decent mining or fishing sessions. It's pretty clear you're meant to use the patches of land in caves to grow crops to bolster your RP, but it takes ages and the RP boost really isn't much, it's easier to just grind a bit and then bum rush it.

Monster companions are pretty weak and die way too fast to be of much real use, especially anything melee ranged.

Befriending most of the townspeople is totally pointless except for one potential marriage candidate who is currently spoilers.

Offensive Magic is awful because RP is scarce, and the spells are pretty weak.

The script is extremely janky, a lot of stuff feels pretty Google Translate-d and the event flags aren't really where they should be (See everyone asking me where Cecilia is, a week after I've found her.)

Still, I enjoy playing around with it, and it's clear they had some good ideas that made it into the sequels, so i'm glad to be LPing it. It's not as close to my heart as New Mystery of the Emblem was, but it's an interesting little relic of the DS era.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Wow, what's the point of the neutralizers if it's not permanent? In the third game they are, though those poison tiles only appear on farmable tiles in the wild and not just in your way and they can appear randomly like any other thing that can appear on a farmable tile (sticks, rocks, herbs, etc').

They're semi-permanent in the same way they are in later games. The problem is that the poison tiles in Carmine can show up in places other than farmable tiles, and any poison tile that isn't on farmable land will automatically regenerate when you return.

Thus, Neutralizers are only for clearing land to till. Which does still make them reasonably useless since there's plenty of healthy farmland in Carmine to not care if a tile or two is poison-gunk'd.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They appear in the first cave too. Glad they didn't put them in this way in the third game.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 22: A Layman’s Guide To Cave Botany

You know, I’m done with the Fire Cave. The Fire Cave sucks. It’s full of bees and trolls and I hate it. So, this update’s going to be all about putting an end to it.

Donnel stands prepared.

egam is also prepared.

I started off clearing the opening area, little trouble there since this is about the 10th time I’ve done it. The Troll is laughably easy, but I usually take a hit or two from the two ants.

Here’s another great example of “i hosed up and forgot about Elemental Resistance”, egam’s Fireball is doing a whopping 1 damage to this Ignis. Thankfully, I was wrong, Ignis can’t cure themselves like the Shindra.

So, I found a pretty good strategy for dealing with annoying enemies like these Queen Bees. Rush the spawner…

Screen transition.

Oh look, they’re gone. Admittedly it’s a little cheap, but I reserve the right to cheat in case of Beemergencies.

Defeating the Titan near where we found Cecilia comes with a welcome Level Up. That’s a full HP refill.

So, a new fun fact about Medication and how it rules, it’s apparently an AOE. So egam also got cleansed of poison, and healed for 80!

I used the screen transition trick on this Ignis as well. Remember that just the spawner has to go down to count towards opening the final door.

Since it occurs to me I haven’t showed off what’s up here yet, it’s more farm space. Surprise.

There’s also a Beetle spawner. These guys are still pretty nonthreatening, most melee creatures will be for the rest of the game.

To the East, another fire wall. Out comes the Watering Can.

Another trapped room!

And a new foe. Meet the Minotaur. This guy is weird, this is his only appearance in the whole game, no recolors or anything. He’s got a hard hitting physical blow, but that’s...about it.

He took out egam, though.

Still, no match for some careful positioning.

He was guarding some more rocks, and fields. This is a dead end.

Since I’m out of RP, I thought this might be a good time to Sleeping Bag it back.

This is still kind of a weird place for the Save Point.

Next up I cleared the eastern half of the cave, same stuff I did in Update 19. Trolls, Ants, and a Beetle. Nothing too exciting.

Also took the opportunity to refill my can, not that I ended up needing it here.

Then I got lost for way too long.

The spot I missed was north of the Save Point. There’s a northern exit to that room I forgot about. Yeah, the cave design in Rune Factory can get a little mazey.

EMPLOY THE BEE STRAT

Oh, just another Titan. Not much to worry about.

There was a gate here. But it just melted away when I got close. Guess that means we’re done?

But I want to do some prep work before this next boss. So it’s back to town for now.

Escape kinda rules.

First off, getting the keys from the villagers we don’t have yet.

After a brief stop at Leo’s to pick up some new hardware. This is the Flame Saber, a Claymore type weapon. The next boss is weak to Fire.

It’s got a slightly different moveset from the Wind Sword. Pressing B once slams it down.

Two rapid presses makes Donnel give an uppercut afterwards. It’s slow, so I don’t like it as much as the Wind Sword, but having two weapons on hand never hurt anyone in this game. Plus, it shreds this next boss.

First up, Jean. It has to be Jean, Rosetta has nothing for you.

: You can grow up to Level 10 crops in your field. But rumor has it some people have seen level 100 crops! Don’t ask me how that’s accomplished, though.

Huh. Well, that sounds tedious. Just a guess.

Neumann changes inventory with each season. Now he’s selling Pineapples.

Oddly enough, Camus didn’t give me a key. I guess since he doesn’t live at his farm, there’s no point going there at night.

Emmett’s at the church on Mondays, since the pub doesn’t open.

Wesley I’ve been here like twice.

Here’s the real treasure.

So, Tabatha has something special here, a new conversation. I’m not sure how many villagers do this, but once you get her FP high enough, this triggers.

This doesn’t even make sense after this conversation.

: Tabatha, even though you are human, you always refer to people as “humans”. Isn’t that a little strange?

: Oh, didn’t I tell you? I’m an elf.

: What?

Elves exist?

: It’s not the norm, but I’m working in the human world.

: I never would’ve guessed!

: That’s because I usually keep my ears covered!

Oh. The hat is practical.

: I’m surprised…

: I’m sorry I surprised you. Even now you know I’m an elf, I hope we can still get along.

: Yes, of course we can.

How did that sneak in here? Rune Factory!

I don’t think the “Tabatha is an elf” thing ever really gets brought up or matters again. But, I mean, it’s there. Maybe elves are a bigger thing in future RF games.

So this is what I really want, this is required to advance Neumann’s sidequest, which is one of the longer and more involved ones.

I got Edward to make me a potion as well, just in case of emergencies.

Also, this next boss can inflict Seal, so a couple of these might just save my rear end.

One good night’s rest later, I’m headed back to Clemens.

The nice thing here is that once the gate has unlocked, it is forever unlocked. Meaning I could just rush to the boss room here and ignore the spawners and monsters entirely.

...Huh.

Oh, Mist is here too.

Hey, only one person is allowed to do a surprise walk on at a time!

: I doubt that anyone would want to come to this place.

: You don’t have to be so blunt, Mist.

Melody kinda rules.

: I’m just being honest!

: That’s okay. Say, I wonder what kind of flower this is?

Uh. It woke up. (surprising none of you)

: Stand back you two! I don’t like the look of this!

: Okay!

Meet Mandragora, boss number 3. It’s got 780 HP, and a pretty wide variety of attacks to make up for not being able to move.

You can see one already, if you look closely. It’s summoned a Queen Bee!

It can spit these wind razors around the room, they spiral out in kind of a bullet hell-esque pattern. Not easy to dodge, but they don’t do much damage.

The yellow head can do a sweeping breath attack. It’s like Chimera’s, but it can inflict Paralysis.

So that’s Paralysis from that and Poison from the Queen Bee. Medication makes this fight a thousand times easier, and I’d make sure you have it for this.

Yikes. See my status afflictions? I’m just thankful that, for some reason, it never used its fourth attack, which summons a Killer Ant. I think it can only have one monster up at a time. I’d honestly rather put up with the Bee than risk Sealing and losing access to Medication here.

Medication takes care of defense, but what about offense? Mandragora’s wind spell and breath can make approaching difficult, but it has to pause inbetween attacks. I try to stay close and go in for 2 or 3 combos before backing off and healing/waiting for the next attack.

The Flame Saber deals 30~ damage per hit, way higher than our Wind Sword would manage on this boss. And due to its lack of movement, the slower speed doesn’t hamper me all that much.

Seriously, Medication carried me here.

It’s best to not even kill the Bee, Mandragora spawns a new one almost immediately.

Just like the other bosses, it turns red. However, unlike Daemon and Chimera, Mandragora has no new attacks. It just gets faster. Just lower the amount of combos and heal more, and this is still a cakewalk with the proper setup.

Why thank you.

Oh, yeah, the Saber is big enough to catch the Bee and Mandragora in its swing. Sadly, although the different stalks of Mandragora move separately, they are not separate hitboxes.

Soon enough, it goes down. Honestly, easiest boss so far. Thanks, Medication.

: No, I’m okay.

:allears:

: I doubt anyone would want to come with flowers like that around.

:allears: :allears:

: Hmm…

: Anyway, monsters that big shouldn’t be appearing in this world.

: What’s going on?

You two keep having this conversation, and it goes nowhere.

: I don’t know, but I bet someone is behind all this.

: Right. Besides, someone did put all those devices inside the caves.

...The what?

: So you think the Sechs are behind this?

: I’m not sure. Kardia is near the Sechs border, but it’s still part of the Norad Kingdom. Even the Sechs Empire wouldn’t dare cross the border without sufficient reason. Besides, a huge empire like that has no reason to invade a little town like ours.

I’m sure the giant shady Empire in an RPG is definitely not going to march on the innocent town. That would be unheard of. Also Mist is suddenly an expert on geopolitics.

: So it would seem…

: I guess we’ll just have to wait and see if we can find out more information.

: Right.

: Well, I’m going to head back to town. Please watch yourself, Donnel.

: I will.

: I’d better get back too. You should drop by my bathhouse for a dip sometime!

And with one final victory pose atop a dead flower, Clemens Cave is conquered. We’ll have a new destination next time.

Monster Names (Though I’m probably not recruiting these, they’re not very good. Next cave has two I DEFINITELY want, though.)

Ignis
Beetle
Minotaur

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 19, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Come on Donnel, you finish a boss fight and all you can think of is Sechs.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

theshim posted:

A flower boss fight, to be more precise.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I really hope she opens that hot spring after all. Just for the sheer contrast.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

theshim posted:

I had so many terrible pun names for this chapter, but I held off. I need to keep these in reserve, we've got like 5/8ths of a game left to beat here.

Glazius posted:

I really hope she opens that hot spring after all. Just for the sheer contrast.

Sadly this game is not that good. Though Melody does rule.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 23: Bovine At An Incline

This is the worst pun yet and welcome back to Rune Factory. Last time we took out Mandragora, the plant that was...uh...just sorta sitting in Clemens Cave not really bothering anyone.

Here’s Donnel posing on its corpse.

So, Godwin’s stepped up his cave plowing requirements. We’ll need 100 tilled squares in Clemens to progress. To start that, I hopped two rooms back, to the spawner with the Heracros.

It went well.

Okay, now it should go better.

Lots of free soil here to till, Gotta weed first...and I’m not even bothering with that stump, but hey, still a bounty.

The upgraded Hoe’s line charge makes this a lot quicker.

Then I was sidetracked, as usual, by mining.

But eventually, every square in here but 1 (STUMP) was plowed. My HP should be a good note of the toll that took. That’s...44 squares. Not quite enough yet. Still, I’m not getting it done with this HP, so might as well head back to town.

And now I realize I don’t have Emmett’s key yet. I’ll have to get on that.

The mining was disappointing, so it’s time to upgrade. At 5 silver, this boost should be well worth the trouble.

Still, 4 days without the hammer is going to be...rough. Maybe Godwin can console me.

You should really just stop being surprised at this.

: I’ll go and investigate it. Donnel, please tend to your farm and the fields in the caves you explore. I won’t issue the next pass until you plow 100 squares in Clemens Cave.

“Use the game mechanics, jackass.”

Oh, that reminds me, Donnel is literally inches from death! I should probably get a bath. First, though...

Inferno is that AOE fire spell the Ignis kept using on me in Clemens. It’s much less effective in Donnel’s hands, of course, because this game hates wizards.

Time to stare mournfully at Melody’s until 3:00 hits…

Oh, but first!

And that’s, if I’m not mistaken, every key in town. Now Donnel can loot these saps for all they’re worth and-

Not Emmett. Emmett is too good for that.

Regardless of grand larceny plots, time for bathing.

And right back to Clemens! This is just north of the second room, where that troll spawner is. Now is a good time to mention the “Magic” button and the “Pocket” button are the same, it just depends on if you’re holding something. So if you screw that up...

Whoops I Escape’d again.

Still, now you can see the fruits of my labor (And putting Fireball in my Magic slot because gently caress that escape mess-up.

Back to Godwin!

Even the game is just basically pushing you to make progress at this point.

: I’m issuing you a pass for Mt. Gigant. Make use of it!

Nice! But I’d rather not go there today. A fresh Donnel is our best shot at making any progress exploring the Mountain. So, for now...

Welcome back to Toros! Being able to kill these demons in one combo of my new Flame Saber is a wonderful feeling.

So is just Medication’ing away that pesky paralysis. We’ve grown so much. Anyway, I gathered wood, watered the crops, the usual. Let’s get to the good stuff.

After a good night’s sleep, it’s off to Mt. Gigant!

First things first, though, Shawn’s got Wool for us.

And here’s the entrance to Gigant. If it looks familiar, yes, that is Clemens right to the south of us. These two caves are pretty similar in motif, so it does make sense they’re close by.

I...don’t think we see any magma up here. But Clemens is near, so I’ll allow it.

Also check out this nice view! Enough screwing around, though.

Mt. Gigant, an arid land of

I hope you didn’t think we were getting away without Mist.

A good start.

: Okay…

: But I am a little concerned about the recent increase in monsters.

: Yeah, so am I.

: You know, the Grimoire is rumored to live on top of this mountain.

Donnel you fuckin’ rube.

: The Grimoire! According to legend, it’s a servant of the gods...or maybe even a god itself.

No bonus points for guessing the boss of this place. Greatest Daemon must remain a secret.

: Sounds impressive.

: Well, whatever it is, please be careful!

: Don’t worry, I will.

This is a total lie.

So, immediately Mt. Gigant branches into two paths. This place is pretty mazey, and like all mazes, hugging left seems like a good decision.

It leads to a small collection of farmland. Nothing great, is there anything interesting up here?

Another fork. Again, headed Left. My left, not Donnel’s. I’m in charge here. Also, yes, those fires work the same way as the ones in Clemens, the Watering Can will douse them.

Along this path, bugs! These guys are the…”Spiders”? Doesn’t look much like a spider to me, more of a weird beetle, but I mean...I’ll take their word for it. They have a melee attack that can poison. Otherwise they’re uninteresting.

They went down quick, and to my surprise, D-dog solo’d one of them! However, he’s dying of poison now.

The wonders of Medication are...wondrous.

Back at full, and these flames are concealing something…

Deadly plants! These enemies, the...Flowers...are nasty little buggers. They’ve got a spammable version of the Wind Magic “Swordstorm”, which you might remember from Mandragora. They can also suck out your HP with ranged spike spits, and Seal you. Thankfully the Flame Saber makes a good dent in ‘em.

That took quite a bit out of me, though. And D-Dog is flat out dead.

Hopefully whatever’s in this ominous cave isn’t-

...Oh my. Here’s something I’ve been looking for. This enemy only spawns here, in this one room.

I want it.

So, while you’re trying to pet this thing into joining you, it’ll attack with a charge, similar to the Silver Wolf’s pounce. This is the “Peekamoo”.

If you groan at that you haven’t read too much of this LP. Cling to that sanity.

But, after much pain…

No, that won’t do. Let’s take a thread suggested…

Oh poo poo. I forgot to ask for this one. And I last saved far too long ago. Well, it’s time to put my own creativity to the test. A great name, something memorable, funny, and...I’m gonna do a lovely meme.

IT’S HIGH MOO(N) (i played like 3 hours of Overwatch before this. If you wish to leave the thread now, I understand)

My sins are unremoovable.

So, while I destroyed the spawner, the other Peekamoo just...sat there and watched (You can see his horns on the right side of the screen). I think I exited his aggro range and he just didn’t care.

Clearly he was just impressed with my swording skill.

I slew him anyway. Donnel is fierce and unyielding.

That was also a level up, but I missed the floaty text. Sorry.

Back to the Left/South junction, what could be down here?

A bounty of ores and gems! Soon I will-

Ahh, gently caress.

Well, back at the first split. Heading right this time runs us into the Big Mush. Doesn’t seem so big to me. They have an AOE blast of spores that takes forever to go off and does little damage. Honestly, the enemies here aren’t too threatening, aside from the Flowers. It can poison you, but it’s not much of a threat.

They also watched as I demolished their spawner. It seems like the more I play this game, the jankier it becomes.

Regardless, the Flame Saber makes quick work of the plant-esque enemies. Picking this up was a good choice.

North of the Mush spawner is a new area.

It contains this guy, the Weegull. Weegulls are slow and have a long windup on their single attack, which is melee. They’re pushovers. Apparently they can Paralyse, but not even I got caught by it.

And right afterwards, a new split. Right first this time, just to mix it up.

THE SQUIRRELS ARE BACK

They’re still..nonthreatening. These are “Fuwori”, and if you remember the Chirori in Carmite and how lame it was, these are too. No special abilities of note. Just moderately quick melee attacks.

West of their spawner is a save point. But what’s on the left path?

Suspicious…

But it’s just farmland. Here’s a good spot to do your required plowing in Gigant.

That’s enough initial exploration for now, though.

Let’s visit our new pal.

After brushes, of course.

Yes, brushing is a skill. It’s called “Communication” and it’s pretty drat good, actually.

As you might expect from a NotCow, Donnel can milk HiMoo.

It comes with its own nice pyramid container!

Doesn’t sell for much now, but we’ll see…

Anyway, here’s the stat sheet. Probably our strongest monster so far, HiMoo is a good acquisition. There’s one more thing I definitely want out of Gigant, then I’ll probably start recruiting more wildly and use some of the proposed names. Sorry for the wait on that.

Anyway, I just noticed there’s a river south of the EXP Farm!

The usual stuff lurks within.

Also, a new fish!

And so, Donnel fished until he collapsed in his own yard.

Later, everybody.

LP PSA: After I finish Mt. Gigant, the Marriage Poll is CLOSING! If you’re lurking in the shadows, trying to usurp Sharron’s claim to Donnel’s heart, speak now! Or forever hold your peace.

Oh and also if there was a...hypothetical Chicken-esque monster...and you were to name it within five characters...give me that hypothetical name. Or Runes help me, I will make an even worse joke.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
He's gonna capture a giant chicken I tell's ya, a giant chicken!

Okay, maybe not so giant, but call it Boo.

Or maybe it's not a chicken at all, but Evil itself.

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Chickens are dinosaurs. Name it T.Rex.

• Locked thread