Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Anidav posted:

"He's out here defending himself against a political party which is for no other reason than opportunism to try take his seat in the House of Representatives," Mr Keating said of Mr Albanese. "And therefore by doing so diminishing the capacity of the Labor Party to form a government in its own right."

How dare a political party attempt to diminish another party's ability to form government in its own right! :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Yeah, even if you think you'll do a much better job than any Labor candidate you should only go after those nasty Liberals because apparently they're the only ones who've been attacking you?

Paul Keating was cool when he was laying down sick burns in question time, what happened Paul?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

he's always been a neoliberal poo poo, sorry

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Data source: Domain group. And median house prices exclusively, by the looks of it, not median overall including units which make up a pretty significant chunk of Melbourne Ports for example. It's a housing market advertisement in disguise.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

starkebn posted:

Yeah, even if you think you'll do a much better job than any Labor candidate you should only go after those nasty Liberals because apparently they're the only ones who've been attacking you?

Paul Keating was cool when he was laying down sick burns in question time, what happened Paul?

Paul Keating started mandatory detention for asylum seekers.

gently caress Paul Keating.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

SynthOrange posted:

When Alex learns that Britain has decided to leave the European Union, he’s shocked by just hold normal everything seems. But the calm doesn’t last as Alex is suddenly accosted by a giant living coin from the not so distant future.

In this horrific future where Britain has left the EU, four story busses lie strewn about the streets of London after a failed plan to cut costs, the Queen’s Guard have been replaced by flying reptiles with machine guns and the River Thames runs red with molten lava.

Now Alex and his handsome sentient pound must travel back to the past and sway the vote for European solidarity, by proving that all you need is love.

This erotic tale is 4,200 words of sizzling human on monetary unit action, including anal, blowjobs, rough sex, cream pies and living pound love.

:eyepop:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Chuck Tingle is the author the internet needs

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

starkebn posted:

Pretty long bow to draw, if you just own the home you're living in and no investments that's hardly accessable wealth

I don't think people care, they are probably perfectly happy smugly bringing up their net worth over dinner with their mates.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
And probably ignoring the size of their bank debt.

Or bragging about having 15 million in debt on 20 properties

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
https://www.facebook.com/sarah.leblanc.718/media_set?set=a.10101369198638985&type=3

a glimpse into our potential future

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

no but you see the leave vote wasn't racist it was about regaining sovereignty from an undemocratic super-state

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Britain next severs itself from the Commonwealth in bid to escape Indians

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Fashwatch Sunday Edition: We Aren't Racist!

This is probably my last fash watch post before I head over to yurop, but today is sure to be a doozy.

The Brexit Effect
So really unsurprisingly, the Brexit result has reinvigorated right-wing nationalist movements in the western world, and Australia is no exception. The UPF facebook page has basically been nothing but celebratory and alarmist poo poo, although really this is just going to be backdrop for today.

Posted to the UPF page. No caption needed

Melbourne - 26/06
So some peeps may have heard but the True Blue Crew (of Coburg fame, some sources claim this is kind of like a youth/gang wing of the UPF) is organising a rally in front of Parliament House in Melbourne today, and it'll actually happen really shortly. I think that this rally is a change of tactics for the UPF/TBC, as rally is about "Flag pride" or something, and it is claimed that it isn't about Muslims or something. This is the event details.

Dumb flag thing posted:

On Sunday the 26th of June, we will be walking to celebrate our Australian National Flag.
There has been a push of late by certain factions of our great country, to label our wonderful Australian Flag as racist, and to have it changed.
We are tired of this constant, un Australian attempt, by some, to mould a negative public opinion of the symbol of our nation.
It is an insult to all Australians, from all backgrounds, especially the many Australians that have served, fought and died under our flag, as witnessed in scenes just last week, when our fallen military personnel were returned to Australia, it was the Australian flag that was draped over there coffins.
We have heard comments from people in positions of authority, such as one individual that has created a controversial education program that is currently being forced on our children, that, "once the Australian flag on Victorian parliament is taken down and replaced by the red (communist) flag, her work is done".
This is more of the same from those that wish to erase our sense of national pride, in order to further there own agenda.
We ask all Australians, no matter your background, your ethnicity, your skin colour, your political leanings, come along, and fly your Australian flag with pride.
Whether you consider yourself on the left, the right, or center of the political spectrum, whether you're conservative, traditionalist, progressive, whether you're born and bred in Australia, or new to our beautiful country, we call on all Australians to unite and join us on this walk to celebrate this wonderful, accepting, tolerant nation that we all call home.
Join us on Sunday the 26th of June, the day we bring together all proud Australians, from all walks of life, in peace and unity, for a show of solidarity, and to tell those that wish to denigrate our flag, our home, and our nation, HANDS OFF OUR FLAG!!!!

Personally, I think this is a slight tactic change by the UPF/TBC in order to attract people they normally wouldn't get. The even currently has 232 people going on facebook, but I doubt they will get these numbers. There really isn't a proximal thing to get angry, rather it's "those drat leftists" or something and people aren't burning flags in the street so :shrug:

Opposition to the rally
Obviously people aren't going to let dumb racists rally in Melbourne so theres a counter-protest happening now. The standard tactic is to show up about 30mins or greater earlier than the people holding the rally in order to take over the site of the rally and force the original rally holders to go somewhere less prominant. This was done in Brisbane and actually ended up with a nice charge of the police cordon (they let as pass, lmao). From the initial pictures, the counter-demonstration has control of the steps of Parliament.

https://twitter.com/abcnewsMelb/status/746875475742470148

https://twitter.com/gayedemanuele/status/746875790336233472

https://twitter.com/DarrenGrayRural/status/746866520005869568

e:
https://twitter.com/slackbastard/status/746876059002363905

Looks like it's about to get going

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Fascinating developments in brexit territory last night

Ler posted:

There is some suggestion, and speculation that Scotland and NIRE could possibly veto the EU exit.
https://twitter.com/jimfitzbiz/status/746722921125654528

Scotland & NI have the power of Veto on Brexit ALSO! the EU said that there's no way for Scotland to remain in the EU while it's a part of the UK.

quote:

European Commission says after Brexit vote: Scotland part of UK

The European Commission said on Saturday Scotland was part of the United Kingdom and declined to "speculate further" after First Minister Nicola Sturgeon called for talks with the European Union to keep Scotland in the bloc.

"Scotland is part of the UK," a Commission spokeswoman told Reuters. "Constitutional arrangements apply. We will not speculate further."

Sturgeon said Scotland would prepare for a possible fresh independence vote after Britain voted to leave the 28-nation EU on Friday. Scots voted heavily in favor of staying in.

(Reporting by Gabriela Baczynska; Editing by Janet Lawrence)

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...n-idUSKCN0ZB0LQ

So either Scotland or NI uses its power of Veto and pisses off most of England, or Scotland votes to Secede.

Two fucken birds one stone.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Seeing my dad at his aged care home and sadly the tv is set to the Federal Coalition campaign launch. Julie Bishop is bagging out Shorten for not being for the worker or business, I guess forgetting how her law firm treated people with asbestos

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

tithin posted:

Scotland & NI have the power of Veto on Brexit ALSO! the EU said that there's no way for Scotland to remain in the EU while it's a part of the UK.

So either Scotland or NI uses its power of Veto and pisses off most of England, or Scotland votes to Secede.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

That's magic

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
'Unintended consequence': how Australia stripped an Australian of citizenship

IDK if this has been posted yet, but it's about the latest gently caress-up by the Minister for Tubers & Root Vegetables.

quote:

Fairfax Media has found that, on the instruction of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP), adoptees born overseas can no longer present their Australian birth certificate, issued as part of the adoption process, as lawful evidence of citizenship.

Neither the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade nor the DIBP would provide reasons for the changes when asked by Fairfax Media last week.

But those amendments, now being applied by the Australian Passport Office, mean there are potentially thousands of inter-country adoptees who assume they are bona-fide citizens but are now not regarded as one, even though they have held passports.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Mithranderp posted:

'Unintended consequence': how Australia stripped an Australian of citizenship

IDK if this has been posted yet, but it's about the latest gently caress-up by the Minister for Tubers & Root Vegetables.

So these people are basically personae non gratae as of this moment as they can't really prove citizenship? I can't even believe that this is possible.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Recoome posted:

Fashwatch Sunday Edition: We Aren't Racist!

This is probably my last fash watch post before I head over to yurop, but today is sure to be a doozy.

The Brexit Effect
So really unsurprisingly, the Brexit result has reinvigorated right-wing nationalist movements in the western world, and Australia is no exception. The UPF facebook page has basically been nothing but celebratory and alarmist poo poo, although really this is just going to be backdrop for today.

Posted to the UPF page. No caption needed

I can't figure out what they're celebrating, the UK is finished and the Leave campaign is already walking back on its "no more immigrants" bullshit

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

tithin posted:

They veto it then secede :getin:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Even if it does get vetoed and some of the economic consequences are avoided, I'm not sure how or if you can put the genie back in the bottle with regards to how much the referendum has legitimised xenophobia and ultra-nationalism.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Even if it does get vetoed and some of the economic consequences are avoided, I'm not sure how or if you can put the genie back in the bottle with regards to how much the referendum has legitimised xenophobia and ultra-nationalism.

Not to mention how an astonishing number of people, including Nigel Garbage, managed to forget or actively disregard the fact that ultra-nationalism prompted someone to go and assassinate a pro-immigration MP, not 10 days after the fact.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Solemn Sloth posted:

The only way back is for the politicians to actually do something to improve standards of living for the working class instead of just paying lip service. The silver lining is that this movement seems to be scaring the neoliberal establishment as much as it is the left so maybe something might come of it.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Solemn Sloth posted:

Because god-forbid people want a say in who is allowed in their country.

Mithranderp posted:

Not to mention how an astonishing number of people, including Nigel Garbage, managed to forget or actively disregard the fact that ultra-nationalism prompted someone to go and assassinate a pro-immigration MP, not 10 days after the fact.

And an astonishing number of people have ignored someone just killed ~50 gay guys in the name of Radical Islam.

Islam is a hateful political system that disguises itself as a religion.

LibertyCat fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 26, 2016

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

LibertyCat posted:

And an astonishing number of people have ignored someone just killed ~50 gay guys in the name of Radical Islam.

Why do you hate freedom?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.facebook.com/ABCMediaWatch/videos/1234909479916862/

I could watch this all day.

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Pig Bitch

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Skellybones posted:

Why do you hate freedom?

Am I free to march into your house and make myself at home? Or does your freedom to decide who enters outweigh mine?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

TheIllestVillain posted:

I can't figure out what they're celebrating, the UK is finished and the Leave campaign is already walking back on its "no more immigrants" bullshit

Fuckinal lammo at that video, "we were always going to still have free movement of labour"

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
So you're agreeing with me that the native born guy was right to defend America from the foreign guys?

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Skellybones posted:

So you're agreeing with me that the native born guy was right to defend America from the foreign guys?

The original native born guys didn't defend their borders well enough and had their lands, culture and way of life destroyed. I'm glad we agree.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
So why did you bring it up as a bad thing :confused:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Recoome posted:

So these people are basically personae non gratae as of this moment as they can't really prove citizenship? I can't even believe that this is possible.
And neither will the court in my opinion. This can only be either a complete gently caress up or an extra voice for the dog whistle chorus a week out from an election. Cartoon says - 'Too close to call'. Unlike the election. Lol Turnball is gonna win.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Liberal party launch today, and Labor costings are out.
https://twitter.com/political_alert/status/746904338606370819
https://twitter.com/GrogsGamut/status/746905518963200000

:getin:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

LibertyCat posted:

lmao

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

LibertyCat posted:

Libertarianism is a hateful religion that disguises itself as a political system.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So with Scotland and Northern Ireland leaving...won't the flag need to change?

Meaning the AU and NZ flag will look even more silly and end up changing?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

TheIllestVillain posted:

He made the cartoon before the Brexit vote. And, he's American if that didn't make the cartoon any weirder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
ben garrison is a man who got trolled into becoming a neo nazi

• Locked thread