Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Update, Day Two:

OGD half-empty. Will have to finish off through the day after my ride. And get another on the way home, tomorrow. Morning hot chocolate got spiked because gently caress you, bourbon at any time when tent living. Dog has not spilled the whiskey. Is good dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

FrankieGoes posted:

Found the bitters. Ginger beer has gotta be better than ginger ale, right? Same stuff but some alcohol in it. Ginger beer kicks balls in something like a Dark and Stormy or a Moscow Mule.

What are good proportions for a ginger bourbon concoction?

e:

Hope you realize that Ginger Beer doesn't have any alcohol in it. There is a couple on the market that do have alcohol (they are probably garbage though), but Q Ginger Beer is not one of them...

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Kirkland bourbon is surprisingly drinkable. Good enough on the rocks. I'd put it above that Bulleit poo poo.

Bulleit rye is okay. The bourbon is poo poo though.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Large chainring on my road bike is toast and cranked its last nine miles from camp. Brown ng my sorrows in bourbon just sloshed in a mug. Grand-Dad really does look out for ya.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
What is the best cheap scotch

Is there even a good cheap one or do they all suck

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Good scotch starts at around $40 for anything single malt, anything cheaper that isn't blended is probably underwhelming. As for workable blended scotches Ballentines and White Horse are good bets on a budget.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I used to like George Dickel a lot but they've steadily gotten more expensive over the years.

But it's still good for jokes. I'll give you a nickel for a taste of your Dickel.
Suck down a Dickel.
Dickels for days.

FogHelmut posted:

Bulleit rye is okay. The bourbon is poo poo though.

Bulleit is the worst. They want you to believe they're the cheapest of the good stuff, but really they're just the most expensive of the cheap stuff. Their rye is ok, another fine Midwest Grain Product, but it's easy to find other MGP ryes that are the same thing for less money. Look on the backs of the bottles for distilled in Indiana.

Rittenhouse rye is what you want for this thread. It's the evan williams of rye.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I like Johnnie Red for a do-all mixing or passing around straight with friends at the ungodly hours Scotch. J&B Rare with its pencil eraser tones for just mixing with ginger ale. gently caress Fanous Grouse.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

FrankieGoes posted:

What do you do with bourbon? What is bourbon? Is it whisky but like single malt or aged in a toilet or its whisky but from Kentucky? How do you drink it? rocks? neat? Can i drink it with ice and diet pepsi?

As mentioned earlier, bourbon is 52% corn mash minimum aged in a NEW oak barrel for two years with no geographic constraint on production. Single malt is whiskey made of one type of malted grain, generally barley at a single distillery. In the case of single malts, blending between barrels is legally allowed and the age statement indicates the youngest spirit. I believe there are some rules concerning the aging of blended whiskeys as well, but I'm not sure what they are.

As for "what" to do with bourbon, that's a matter of taste. Anything marked single barrel or small batch it's generally best to just sip it on the rocks, but that's not entirely important. I do not classify these products in the "cheap whiskey" realm as generally they're going to be $30+. Examples: Eagle Rare, Weller 12, and Evan Williams Single Barrel 10 Year, Basil Haydens, and so on. Something to also consider is the fact that age statements are being dropped by manufacturers due to shortages. Jim Beam 8 Year is now VX, a blending of 6/7 year barrels. Keep a close eye on the labeling for this when picking middle to higher end bourbons.

There are few good cheap single malts, mainly just McLellands but don't expect it to blow your mind. Try Glenlivet for quality but again this is far from the core topic of "best cheap whiskey".

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I think I'm one of very few defenders of McClelland's Islay as a very simple but serviceable bottle. Going to have to try their other stuff but will likely be disappointed.

In the meantime:

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Rebel Yell is a good cheap bottle and gently caress you if you disagree.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I refuse to buy it because of the dumbass name. N.E. needs a regional flage so I can point and say, "these colors don't run."

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

The best cheap whiskey is the dustiest bottle of cheap whiskey at your local bar. just ask for it straight up. "gimmie that dusty, rotgut, cheap poo poo straight up" you say to the bartender, instant bar cred.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MC Hawking posted:

Something to also consider is the fact that age statements are being dropped by manufacturers due to shortages. Jim Beam 8 Year is now VX, a blending of 6/7 year barrels. Keep a close eye on the labeling for this when picking middle to higher end bourbons.
Or better yet, don't get into high end bourbon right now. They're all overpriced because the old barrels were made up before the bourbon boom so they made far less quantity, not expecting it to suddenly get popular. Wait 4 years for the current higher production to catch up -- or wait until the next flavor of booze is all hyped and demand crashes.

These days I really like gin, cause nobody else is drinking it. I can have all the gin I want!

MC Hawking posted:

There are few good cheap single malts, mainly just McLellands but don't expect it to blow your mind. Try Glenlivet for quality but again this is far from the core topic of "best cheap whiskey".
McClellands is awful. Do not buy. Just buy some Dewar's or something instead. Mcclelland's method of getting cut-rate single malt is literally using the barrels nobody else wants and shipping them to the US where we don't know better. Enjoy your hangover.

Speyburn is the only cheap single-malt I'd go for -- it's not particularly interesting but totally drinkable. The 10 year is good value, 28 bucks where I am.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Klyith posted:

Or better yet, don't get into high end bourbon right now. They're all overpriced because the old barrels were made up before the bourbon boom so they made far less quantity, not expecting it to suddenly get popular. Wait 4 years for the current higher production to catch up -- or wait until the next flavor of booze is all hyped and demand crashes.

These days I really like gin, cause nobody else is drinking it. I can have all the gin I want!

McClellands is awful. Do not buy. Just buy some Dewar's or something instead. Mcclelland's method of getting cut-rate single malt is literally using the barrels nobody else wants and shipping them to the US where we don't know better. Enjoy your hangover.

Speyburn is the only cheap single-malt I'd go for -- it's not particularly interesting but totally drinkable. The 10 year is good value, 28 bucks where I am.

see i'd take the mcclellands islay over speyburn because at least then youre getting some improperly aged bowmore instead of properly aged speyburn

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Cheap scotch kinda seems like it'd be a bad bet, but I assume that it's overpriced as a rich and sophisticated drink or something Will Ferrel drank in Newsanchor movie. So the really cheap stuff would be really garbagey.

I stupidly bought a $10 Trader Joe's scotch once and had a hangover like it was raining hammers in hell.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Digging into a bottle of Ezra Brooks, because my sweet sweet Old Crow is too hard to find.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Why the hell would you drink cheap scotch when Jameson's is the same price

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

MC Eating Disorder posted:

Why the hell would you drink cheap scotch when Jameson's is the same price

why would you drink jamesons when 2 gingers, or irish manor, or paddy exist

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

The French Army! posted:

Don't ever drink Fireball.

It's perfectly fine until about age 16 or so; by them you should know better.

(At my brother's wedding he made all groomsmen, including a 30yr old political appointee SES, take Fireball shots. Dammit bro...)

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Haverchuck posted:

why would you drink jamesons when 2 gingers, or irish manor, or paddy exist

I don't think any of those have distribution where I live because I've never heard of em and I basically drink whisky for a living

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

fireball is fine and people who care what other people drink are really dumb and I haven't seen anyone do it irl since freshman year of college

Answer to the OP is definitely Evan Williams though

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Oh no these guys at a wedding - including a guy with a JOB - did shots of fireball!! Way gross!" - a child

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Lol there have been a dozen good to great bottles of inexpensive whiskey suggested in this thread and still there are goonlords trying to defend the terrible gimmick liquor that tastes like someone distilled a box of hot tamales in antifreeze.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The French Army! posted:

Good scotch starts at around $40 for anything single malt, anything cheaper that isn't blended is probably underwhelming. As for workable blended scotches Ballentines and White Horse are good bets on a budget.

Monkey Shoulder is another good blend, and depending on where you are is on the cheaper side. Usually ~$30 unless you're in a big city.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Wild Turkey 101 is the best fightin' whiskey. Nothing gets you in the mood to attack quite like half a bottle of WT101 and a bonfire.

And the way it makes your throbbing bloody nose feel afterwards is sublime. Other fightin' whiskeys just can't compare.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The French Army! posted:

Lol there have been a dozen good to great bottles of inexpensive whiskey suggested in this thread and still there are goonlords trying to defend the terrible gimmick liquor that tastes like someone distilled a box of hot tamales in antifreeze.

we get it, you have a very refined palate from all that semen you gobble on the reg, nobody gives a poo poo

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Hope you realize that Ginger Beer doesn't have any alcohol in it. There is a couple on the market that do have alcohol (they are probably garbage though), but Q Ginger Beer is not one of them...

All my ginger beer has alcohol in it because when I buy a bottle I immediately pour out half of it and fill the bottle back up with vodka.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MC Hawking posted:

Anything marked single barrel or small batch

I'm pretty sure Kirkland is both of those things.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Grant's is pretty good for mixing

J&B tastes like motor oil

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I actually did know that but probably forgot due to drunkenness. But I went and checked and I just grabbed the wrong bottle, I have a bottle of Hollows and Fentaman or some poo poo which has 4% alcohol. Not sure if it's garbage though as I haven't tried it yet.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Butch Cassidy posted:

I refuse to buy it because of the dumbass name. N.E. needs a regional flage so I can point and say, "these colors don't run."

gently caress you, thread. Just bought a handle of Rebel Yell on the way home and my pointless boycott has come to an end. Sours gonna happen to try it out when guests get here.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mr.Bob posted:

The best cheap whiskey is the dustiest bottle of cheap whiskey at your local bar. just ask for it straight up. "gimmie that dusty, rotgut, cheap poo poo straight up" you say to the bartender, instant bar cred.

Proceed to ask for a can of coke and double-straw them.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
the answer is still evan williams

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

FrankieGoes posted:

All my ginger beer has alcohol in it because when I buy a bottle I immediately pour out half of it and fill the bottle back up with vodka.

Well then smart guy, why doesn't your ginger ale have alcohol in it?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Chinatown posted:

the answer is still evan williams

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Cedar ridge. Iowa whiskey

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
gently caress off Jastiger

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Its cheap, its local, and fulfills the requirements of the thread. Stop being so loving racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Jastiger posted:

Its cheap, its local, and fulfills the requirements of the thread. Stop being so loving racist.

no its not "local" no one is in Iowa except you sorry pal

• Locked thread