Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Did somebody ever fanpatch the third swordcraft story game that exists and is apparently the best of the 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

If you mean the two Swordcraft Story's, they're spin offs not mainline games anyway, they've always been kind of generic SRPG's mixed with VN stuff

Oh. Then they should have kept making the spinoffs instead of the crappy main series that I have never known anyone to enjoy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yo has anybody in here played The Legend of Sword and Fairy, also called Chinese Paladin, or any of its sequels? I understand that the original freeware DOS version from 1995 has a complete English fan translation, but apparently there are multiple versions and remakes floating around, and I'd like to know which is recommended (if any).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Oh. Then they should have kept making the spinoffs instead of the crappy main series that I have never known anyone to enjoy.

I have a friend who is a fan but he is someone who basically desires his JRPGs to be as thorough unexceptional and generic as possible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I have a friend who is a fan but he is someone who basically desires his JRPGs to be as thorough unexceptional and generic as possible.

"A guy whose defining trait is his terrible taste enjoys this series" is not exactly the most glowing endorsement.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

"A guy whose defining trait is his terrible taste enjoys this series" is not exactly the most glowing endorsement.

I don't think he was trying to endorse it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

voltcatfish posted:

Did somebody ever fanpatch the third swordcraft story game that exists and is apparently the best of the 3?

There's been a project going for years but who knows when it'll actually finish. They're claiming just a few more months but I won't hold my breath.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

ImpAtom posted:

Well do I have a "game" for him!

This is my personal pick for "worst RPG I have ever suffered all the way through." That beats out 7th Saga (US version) and the first two Ultimas.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Is it really that bad? How unfortunate

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wait, can you convince the king to get divorced and then marry him?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i feel like a goddamn champion so i need to brag somewhere, still playing TWEWY. just beat taboo sho in the main-game supposed-to-lose encounter at hard mode on level 1. get hosed shitlord

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

alcharagia posted:

i feel like a goddamn champion so i need to brag somewhere, still playing TWEWY. just beat taboo sho in the main-game supposed-to-lose encounter at hard mode on level 1. get hosed shitlord

This is basically every playthrough I ever did after the first one. Hard mode is weird because you'll get super good pins like Wolf and over leveled as hell so they rain from the sky. poo poo owns. Have you found any of the optional bosses yet?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I like that Trails SC offers you a Continue option (instead of Retry on Lower Difficulty) on the fight against Loewe atop the Axis Tower, but I didn't take it. I retried and slapped the taste out of Knockout Meatballs from his mouth with Estelle's staff :smuggo:.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Yo has anybody in here played The Legend of Sword and Fairy, also called Chinese Paladin, or any of its sequels? I understand that the original freeware DOS version from 1995 has a complete English fan translation, but apparently there are multiple versions and remakes floating around, and I'd like to know which is recommended (if any).

Okay, I answered my own question. There's a complete English fan translation for the 1995 DOS/Windows version, whose data (whether or not patched) can be loaded into an open-source reimplementation of the engine, which is the recommended way to play. Although there was a 2001 remake with shinier graphics (that was Steam Greenlit), its own fan translation is incomplete and apparently abandoned. Said remake was followed by five sequels (all completely untranslated), a MMORPG, and two TV adaptations.

This game has a really good reputation, and wuxia is cool, so I think I'll give it a try.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Grand Kingdom players, don't bother using a melee DPS class that isn't the Valkyrie. They do everything the other classes do but better. Except traps but traps are awful when you could just kill everything in turn one.

There's 17 classes but a lot of them feel super redundant so I wonder why they bothered. I guess they were trying to sell DLC at one point but fortunately it's all included in the NA release.

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jun 27, 2016

Wendell
May 11, 2003

wait, can you convince the king to get divorced and then marry him?

This and that page showing a sausage enemy proves the game can't actually be generic trash!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mcJKP5VRLU

Is this game ever coming out of arcades?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

HGH posted:

That's a lot of personality to get out of a 16-bit sprite. I like it!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think it's been confirmed for a PS4 release at least

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well Trails SC's ending was fun. Always nice to see the Big Bad get utterly hosed over, and boy did Weissman get hosed. :allears:. The Aureole was a disappointment though, because the implications of it from the Data Crystals were pretty drat terrifying and in the end all it wound up doing was making JRPG Christian God No. 329914566^99. Especially when the Gospel "tests" around Liberl all wound up being facets of things it was supposed to be able to do according to the Data Crystals (especially the mist dreams), and they never coalesced into anything for the finale.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Is there a map change command for NWN2? When I get on the boat in Highwall to go to Neverwinter the game instead drops me in a map called Inner Complex with a bunch of NPCs that don't react and the only door out has a DC=127 on it. Tried a few times, even with solving the lizardman problem both ways and I can't find a single instance of anyone else having this issue at all.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

HGH posted:

Lightning ain't having any of Kefka's poo poo.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Leaked footage from the console versions is showing Technomancer to be exactly how I expected, a more spit and polished Mars: War Logs with combat more streamlined than Bound by Flame. Warning, wastes time crafting.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Don't have time to watch 30 minutes but isn't that a good thing? I thought Mars was onto some good stuff.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Oh yeah, its just he could have skipped some of the parts where the streamer obviously was reading the differences between upgrades and what-not if you wanted to get to exploration or the gameplay. It looks stable at least on the PS4, outside of some humorous mouth movement. But then again this is a game made by a french team, so maybe there will be some unintentional kung-fu dub lip flapping going for it. The syrum collecting (sticking a water draining syringe into people and sucking them dry for healing chemicals) is still there and can piss off companions, the basic lighting powers are front and center instead of gated behind story progression, the nail gun seems to have infinite ammo so you're not locked out of playing with knife combat and the shared world it has with War Logs doesn't seem to be lost so Technomancer seems like a vast improvement over its predecessor.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 27, 2016

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I just finished chapter 8 of Trails in the Sky SC. Whoever designed that chapter can gently caress right off

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

U-DO Burger posted:

I just finished chapter 8 of Trails in the Sky SC. Whoever designed that chapter can gently caress right off

You went right for the Guildhouses before doing anything else, didn't you? Chapter 9 is much easier, and loses that awful gimmick. Please say you at found the Sepith store in Grancel though.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You went right for the Guildhouses before doing anything else, didn't you? Chapter 9 is much easier, and loses that awful gimmick. Please say you at found the Sepith store in Grancel though.

I was fortunate enough to preserve my ZFGs for most of the content, and I did discover the Sepith store (though I was pissed when I lost access to it, shoulda spent waaay more there). Walking across the entire world was a terrible chore and considering the game lets you equip no encounter orbs they should have let you quick travel to cities you've already reached. So much time wasted just walking between cities...

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

U-DO Burger posted:

I was fortunate enough to preserve my ZFGs for most of the content, and I did discover the Sepith store (though I was pissed when I lost access to it, shoulda spent waaay more there). Walking across the entire world was a terrible chore and considering the game lets you equip no encounter orbs they should have let you quick travel to cities you've already reached. So much time wasted just walking between cities...

Did you at least catch the King of Valleria Lake?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Nope, guess I missed that one.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Reviews are in for Star Ocean 5/10.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

About what I expected

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
So it's just like every other Star Ocean game.

Should I start Trails of the Sky: FC on normal and hard? What's the difference? I went with hard. I hope that doesn't mean it just requires grinding.

It seems cool. Like a modern Grandia.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Normal's best for the Sky games since their hard modes aren't really balanced, they just jack up some enemy stats.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Super Ninja Fish posted:

So it's just like every other Star Ocean game.

Should I start Trails of the Sky: FC on normal and hard? What's the difference? I went with hard. I hope that doesn't mean it just requires grinding.

It seems cool. Like a modern Grandia.

Normal's better, the game's story has a pretty chill pace and you might burn out on it otherwise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite part of star ocean 5 is all the reviews that spend half their runtime on 'it says you'll go into space but you spend barely any time in space and it's just a repetitive fantasy rpg with like 6 towns and weird guns' that end with 'I hate to be so harsh, because I love the series'

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't know why SO devs are always so allergic to actually using the game being set in space, it's not like there's hundreds of sci-fi RPG's they'd be competing with and it would make it stand out a little more. But no, fantasy planet and tech = magic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

at this point either nobody knows what an actual sci-fi rpg would be like or they all hate it

even stuff like rogue galaxy had a planet list that was 50% fantasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

at this point either nobody knows what an actual sci-fi rpg would be like or they all hate it

even stuff like rogue galaxy had a planet list that was 50% fantasy

To be fair, even Juraika had a tenuous understanding of technology and the galaxy at-large. They weren't exactly under the Prime Directive.