Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Someone that's 80 years old now would have been 3 when Germany invaded Poland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Munkeymon posted:

A second referendum could be actually binding and could even include a clause to stay for at least 60 years with no requirement to revisit the question after that. Also require 66% to leave? Might at least restore some certainty, depending on how binding the timeline can be under UK law, which IDK.

I heard an interview with an old man who thought he was taking his country back from the Germans who all those soldiers and airmen died fighting... but he was 80, so he just grew up with stories of the war(s?). JFC

WWII (VE day) was 71 years ago, so I'm pretty sure he would remember it (but wouldn't have fought in it).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

gradenko_2000 posted:

Someone that's 80 years old now would have been 3 when Germany invaded Poland.

I think at that point you'd still remember the war, even if you didn't fight in it. Even if you were born in, say, 1943, your life could be personally and profoundly impacted by the war. You could write a rock opera about it and pair it with a crazy film that makes people question your sanity, if you so choose.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Firos posted:

Does Germany have any room for chemical engineering graduates? Please? :(

Edit: I can even string a sentence together in German (my grammar is horrible tho)

yeah probably

There is a ~Fachkräftemangel~ in Germany right now actually this lack of skilled workers is more because of a lack of investment in corporate training schemes in many cases but if you already have a clue about things you might have a good chance
Wages in Germany are not super high but living costs are only moderate and even the bigger cities are much less overpriced than London.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

blowfish posted:

yeah probably

There is a ~Fachkräftemangel~ in Germany right now actually this lack of skilled workers is more because of a lack of investment in corporate training schemes in many cases but if you already have a clue about things you might have a good chance
Wages in Germany are not super high but living costs are only moderate and even the bigger cities are much less overpriced than London.
Yeah, looking at the five largest cities in Germany, local purchasing power is like 40% higher than it is in London. Though maybe the banker exodus will change that in Frankfurt.

Firos posted:

Does Germany have any room for chemical engineering graduates? Please? :(

Edit: I can even string a sentence together in German (my grammar is horrible tho)
I'm thinking you should be able to find a job in many places in Europe, what with the constant whining about a lack of engineers. In Northern Europe you're probably more likely to be able to land a job only speaking English though. I think the Netherlands have quite a large chemical industry too, and their level of English proficiency is very high.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Siemens here in the Netherlands had plenty of engineers on my department that didnt speak a word of Dutch. Lot of Polish and Indians.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
avoiding a derail in the GOP meltdown thread by responding to this here

Bryter posted:

The non-binding nature of the referendum isn't particularly meaningful. The government made clear it's intentions to abide by the result and didn't purposely set out to make it non-binding, it just happens that the nature of British constitutional law makes a binding referendum impossible.

It's pretty meaningful since the government said they intended to abide by the result then the head of the government stepped down and passed the buck to the next government. The government's very first official act after the Brexit vote was only possible due to the non-binding nature of it, and sets a pretty clear precedent that this is actually going to be more complicated than Leave voters were led to believe.

So yeah, it's pretty meaningful since if the referendum had been binding there would be no question about Article 50 right now, and yet that's what we're arguing about.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 1, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Didn't Cameron outright say before the vote that he'd invoke art 50 immediately? His failure to do so makes that a flagrant lie, but it's not like he'll have to suffer any consequences for it. It's pretty much the ultimate example of how there's no "consumer protection" in modern examples of democracy.

Edit: I guess on a more theoretical level you could argue that it then falls upon Parliament to pass an act to immediately invoke article 50, but the voters can't actually force them to do that, and even if they fail to do so and thus anger the electorate, that won't translate into an electoral result until 2020 (unless a whole 2/3rds of the Commons agrees to a snap election, or they repeal the fixed terms act).

The legislature and the voting populace can't react to quick and immediate changes. That's what the government is for.

This whole thing is so stupid and a week in we're discovering new hitherto unseen ways of stupidity.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 1, 2016

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

ErIog posted:

avoiding a derail in the GOP meltdown thread by responding to this here

It's pretty meaningful since the government said they intended to abide by the result then the head of the government stepped down and passed the buck to the next government. The government's very first official act after the Brexit vote was only possible due to the non-binding nature of it, and sets a pretty clear precedent that this is actually going to be more complicated than Leave voters were led to believe.

So yeah, it's pretty meaningful since if the referendum had been binding there would be no question about Article 50 right now, and yet that's what we're arguing about.

Yeah obviously it would be a meaningful distinction in legal terms. We're talking about public perception though. You said "the public treated it with all the respect and concern of an opinion poll" because it was non-binding. I'm saying that it was as binding as it's possible for a referendum to be in the UK and was very clearly presented as such in the lead up to the vote.

And what we were arguing about was actually whether the next prime minister could invoke article 50 and still avoid going through with withdrawal.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bryter posted:

I'm saying that it was as binding as it's possible for a referendum to be in the UK and was very clearly presented as such in the lead up to the vote.
The AV referendum was far more binding, because it actually included a legislative trigger within it.

I agree that it was presented by some parts of the press as if it was final and binding and the country would be out by the following Monday if Leave won though, but that's on their shoulders.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Guavanaut posted:

The AV referendum was far more binding, because it actually included a legislative trigger within it.

I agree that it was presented by some parts of the press as if it was final and binding and the country would be out by the following Monday if Leave won though, but that's on their shoulders.

It's still not fundamentally binding, and it's a pretty different situation, given that the legislative trigger is a lot more straightforward with domestic legislation than an unknown like art 50. I'll reword it as "as binding as a referendum on the question of leaving Europe could possibly be" then.

And the government emphasised how final it would be, not just some elements of the press.

quote:

The Government’s position is that the referendum is an advisory one, but the Government will regard themselves as being bound by the decision of the referendum and will proceed with serving an article 50 notice. My understanding is that that is a matter for the Government of the United Kingdom, but if there are any consequential considerations, they will be dealt with in accordance with the proper constitutional arrangements that have been laid down.

Bryter fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 1, 2016

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
Cross posting because its economics related

https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/748808618888224768

FT posted:

Michael Gove has taken aim at bankers and big businesses as he set out his case to take over from David Cameron as Conservative Party leader and UK Prime Minister.

He said too many people in financial services “are paid vast fortunes as if they are outstandingly skillful when in many cases they are simply lucky”. He also bemoaned that rewards in Britain have gone too often to “big businesses who have rigged the market in their interests”.

What madness is this, the fanatically market worshiping Gove is attacking the bankers whilst Little Red Book loving McDonnoll is busy sticking up for there interests :psyduck:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The latest Guardian article should not surprise anybody in the thread:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/01/pounded-by-the-pound-brexit-erotic-novel-chuck-tingle

quote:

Pounded by the pound: Brexit inspires its first erotic novel
Article 50 Shades of Gay: Book is latest of 50 sexually explicit stories by Chuck Tingle, and offers what he says is a ‘pretty realistic’, haunting vision of the UK after the Brexit vote

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Chuck Tingle is an international treasure.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
DON'T DO THIS THEY WILL TIP OVER :allears:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Could someone give a synopsis of the book plot?

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

waitwhatno posted:

Could someone give a synopsis of the book plot?

quote:

When Alex learns that Britain has decided to leave the European Union, he’s shocked by just hold normal everything seems. But the calm doesn’t last as Alex is suddenly accosted by a giant living coin from the not so distant future.

In this horrific future where Britain has left the EU, four story busses lie strewn about the streets of London after a failed plan to cut costs, the Queen’s Guard have been replaced by flying reptiles with machine guns and the River Thames runs red with molten lava.

Now Alex and his handsome sentient pound must travel back to the past and sway the vote for European solidarity, by proving that all you need is love.

This erotic tale is 4,200 words of sizzling human on monetary unit action, including anal, blowjobs, rough sex, cream pies and living pound love.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Pound for pound, it's the best book about pound pounding since 'Pounds that go Pound in the night.'

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
So how accurate is this?

Benjamin Timothy Blaine posted:

So, let me get this straight... the leader of the opposition campaigned to stay but secretly wanted to leave, so his party held a non-binding vote to shame him into resigning so someone else could lead the campaign to ignore the result of the non-binding referendum which many people now think was just angry people trying to shame politicians into seeing they'd all done nothing to help them.

Meanwhile, the man who campaigned to leave because he hoped losing would help him win the leadership of his party, accidentally won and ruined any chance of leading because the man who thought he couldn't lose, did - but resigned before actually doing the thing the vote had been about. The man who'd always thought he'd lead next, campaigned so badly that everyone thought he was lying when he said the economy would crash - and he was, but it did, but he's not resigned, but, like the man who lost and the man who won, also now can't become leader. Which means the woman who quietly campaigned to stay but always said she wanted to leave is likely to become leader instead.

Which means she holds the same view as the leader of the opposition but for opposite reasons, but her party's view of this view is the opposite of the opposition's. And the opposition aren't yet opposing anything because the leader isn't listening to his party, who aren't listening to the country, who aren't listening to experts or possibly paying that much attention at all. However, none of their opponents actually want to be the one to do the thing that the vote was about, so there's not yet anything actually on the table to oppose anyway. And if no one ever does do the thing that most people asked them to do, it will be undemocratic and if any one ever does do it, it will be awful.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

How is it gay to have sex with money? I feel like the title of the book is very misleading.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Anos posted:

So how accurate is this?

I read that in John Olivers voice, checks out

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

waitwhatno posted:

How is it gay to have sex with money? I feel like the title of the book is very misleading.
Both the protagonist, and the time-travelling pound coin, are male.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

waitwhatno posted:

Both gender and monetary units only have value because of social constructs, therefore if the pound identifies as a male and the protagonist accepts that identification then the construct of their relationship takes on a homosexual value.

e: Plus the pound coin has a big golden donger and rods the protagonist in the butt with it. Really.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

nm posted:

WWII (VE day) was 71 years ago, so I'm pretty sure he would remember it (but wouldn't have fought in it).

Yeah, derp, I dropped a carry in my head math.

E: to be fair, I was driving when I heard the interview and decided that he was born in the 40s so, unlike Tesla, I was much more concerned with not hitting anything than getting the math just right

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 1, 2016

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

Anos posted:

So how accurate is this?

The leader of the Opposition is reluctant Remain. He campaigned that the EU isn't perfect but that you need to be inside to change things. There are photos of him after voting Remain outside the polling booth.

It is all a right royal fuckup.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/flashboy/status/748858483550937090

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Laradus posted:

It is all a right royal fuckup.

Actually I am fairly sure the Queen and all her family are super glad they have literally nothing to do with this.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Impossible, he's been Varys from the beginning.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I don't know what to think of Brexit because I don't know enough about economics or European politics to predict the outcome. It seems everyone is acting based on emotions. The Leave voters are all going "gently caress all these drat foreigners", while the rest of Europe is going "bwaaah, Britain doesn't love us anymore". What is the consensus among the intelligentsia of Europe?

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Is the only way for Brexit to be beneficial to the UK in the long run is if the EU somehow falls apart? I don't know how it would fall apart with all these small countries to need access to the single market.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Kurzon posted:

I don't know what to think of Brexit because I don't know enough about economics or European politics to predict the outcome. It seems everyone is acting based on emotions. The Leave voters are all going "gently caress all these drat foreigners", while the rest of Europe is going "bwaaah, Britain doesn't love us anymore". What is the consensus among the intelligentsia of Europe?

I believe the educated consensus is that Britain is "hosed".

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Kurzon posted:

The Leave voters are all going "gently caress all these drat foreigners", while the rest of Europe is going "bwaaah, Britain doesn't love us anymore".

That's a remarkably wrong way to summarise the result of Brexit. Remarkable.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

waitwhatno posted:

It's so wrong and overly simplistic it could be a south park episode.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

waitwhatno posted:

It's so wrong and overly simplistic it could be a south park episode.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

waitwhatno posted:

Well, the Leave part of the statement is accurate at least. The vote won on the back of racism and xenophobia.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Well, the Leave part of the statement is accurate at least. The vote won on the back of racism and xenophobia.

And protest votes and misinformation and fearmongering and "accidental voting" and nationalism and wrong expectations and ... boredom? It's hard to tell how much each of these made up of the whole leave votes . Personally, I don't believe that racism was in the majority(but maybe plurality).

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I think the European reaction is a mix of horror, pity and schadenfreude. Well, that's my reaction as a European.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Kurzon posted:

The UK had access to the european markets and lots of trade deals under EU regulations, all of that is gone now. Which screws the UK over massively, and their economy is predictably tanking, but also isn't great for their trade partners, who will lose those trade deals as well. The EU isn't upset for some weird emotional reason, they are upset because there is literally no upside to leaving, for anyone, and it makes poo poo more difficult for everyone. Nobody profits, everyone loses. The UK "leave" voters just took a poo poo in the playpen because the brown kid from next door wanted to play with the toys as well, and now everyone has poo poo in their playpen.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36684452

quote:

Chancellor George Osborne has abandoned his target to restore government finances to a surplus by 2020.

In a speech he said, given the effects of the referendum vote, the government had to be "realistic about achieving a surplus by the end of the decade".

The target had been the chancellor's most prized goal and had been driving austerity measures in previous budgets.

But he said the economy is showing "clear signs" of shock following the vote to leave the European Union.

Does this mean you'll admit austerity has been pointless and will stop then George? No? Oh okay then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bryter posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36684452

Does this mean you'll admit austerity has been pointless and will stop then George? No? Oh okay then.

Ten years of austerity failed to return the UK to a budget surplus? Well, that just clearly shows that they didn't impose austerity hard enough.

• Locked thread