Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Spudd posted:

The Doom movie was spectacular and I'll hear of no one making GBS threads on it

Watched it again a while ago. Aside from the fps segment it was duller than I remembered it being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Thyrork posted:

I wont lie, I laughed my arse off when it goes first person. :allears:

The entire movie should have been like that, mainly because everything apart from that segment was trash.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I realize this may be quite a ways down the line, but when are you guys going to get to Heretic? I've got fond memories of playing and re-playing the original shareware more than can possibly have been healthy.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

McKilligan posted:

I realize this may be quite a ways down the line, but when are you guys going to get to Heretic? I've got fond memories of playing and re-playing the original shareware more than can possibly have been healthy.

It was released a couple of months after Doom II, so I suspect it'll come after that.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Heretic was actually my first Doom-engine game, I can't wait. :allears:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Watched it again a while ago. Aside from the fps segment it was duller than I remembered it being.
Didn't it have Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson in it? How can a movie with him in it be dull? Even that terrible movie he did with Kevin Hart recently had good parts because he was in it.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The actors themselves are great - I mean, you've got Karl Urban, who's always solid, up against Dwayne Johnson, the most charismatic guy you could ever have a mancrush on. It's just that, FPS section aside, it never gets as gleefully dumb as it could. You know, the kind of thing that made Turbo Kid or Far Cry: Blood Dragon as enjoyable as they were, just acknowledging the premise is silly and having fun with it. It's all treated very po-faced, and it suffers for it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It's just that, FPS section aside, it never gets as gleefully dumb as it could.
So it's the problem with Hollywood's output in general over the past decade or so? Say no more.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Hollywood outputs a bunch of dumb, gleefully stupid movies all the time?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

Hollywood outputs a bunch of dumb, gleefully stupid movies all the time?
No, I'm saying that they don't and that's the problem. Too much dumb poo poo gets played mostly or completely serious. I'd wager a big reason why Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool made so much money is because they didn't stick to that formula.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Y-Hat posted:

No, I'm saying that they don't and that's the problem. Too much dumb poo poo gets played mostly or completely serious. I'd wager a big reason why Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool made so much money is because they didn't stick to that formula.

That's a good way of putting it actually: look at GotG and compare it to Man of Steel and Batman Vs. Superman - DC's stuff is trying to tell a Serious Story About Serious Loss and it's all so earnest you roll your eyes so hard, you can see your brainstem. Meanwhile, Marvel's like 'so here's a bipedal raccoon with a laser machine gun and his BFF is a tree who can only say one thing: how can we make them the most popular thing in the movie?' and you just go with it because - and this is important - it's fun. Anyone can make a stupid movie, but it's hard to make a stupid movie you laugh with, rather than laugh at.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Doom was a mediocre movie which had its last fifteen minutes transplanted from a fantastic movie. And sitting through it all is worth it for that last bit.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
The BFG reveal scene was probably the best part of The Rock's performance.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

Didn't it have Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson in it? How can a movie with him in it be dull? Even that terrible movie he did with Kevin Hart recently had good parts because he was in it.

It does yes but the problem is that it's a dark and dull mess of a film that tries to play itself off as a horror movie and where nothing really happens for far too long. It's far too inspired by the visuals of Doom 3 than anything else. After a while you're just sitting there sighing because it's yet another scene of them walking through dark corridors while trying to look tense and suspenseful. To which it falls flat on its face for.
At least the black guys were like the third or fourth ones to die instead of first. :v:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
A good Doom film would be entirely first person with a selfie camera feed at the bottom of the screen. It would also feature cacodemons.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

chrisoya posted:

A good Doom film would be entirely first person with a selfie camera feed at the bottom of the screen. It would also feature cacodemons.
Doom 2 the movie, directed by Sandy Petersen.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Your talk about ammo shortage struck me, because I was trying to play through episode two and had that exact problem in E2M4 (Deimos Lab). I was trying to get monsters to fight each other as much as possible, I killed at least two cacodemons with crushers, I went back and scoured the level after I got the computer area map, and I still ended up running out of ammo and dying.

nielsm posted:

I printed out the documentation for Duke Nukem 3D sector tags, sector effectors etc. for mapmaking, and put it in binders. That got plenty of use! Actually I may even still have it... or maybe I finally trashed it a few years ago.
So did I. I got hours and hours of entertainment out of that.

Lady Naga posted:

I feel like they did the same thing with Doom 2 but I'm not sure if others feel the same way.
I think Doom 2 has a bunch of bad levels in the middle, but start and ends well?

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The actors themselves are great - I mean, you've got Karl Urban, who's always solid, up against Dwayne Johnson, the most charismatic guy you could ever have a mancrush on. It's just that, FPS section aside, it never gets as gleefully dumb as it could. You know, the kind of thing that made Turbo Kid or Far Cry: Blood Dragon as enjoyable as they were, just acknowledging the premise is silly and having fun with it. It's all treated very po-faced, and it suffers for it.
Also didn't they replace the demons with mutants or something?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Self awareness is why New Doom works so bloody well.

*ANGRILY SHOVES MONITOR*

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Thyrork posted:

*ANGRILY SHOVES MONITOR*

"...what we did was for the good of humanity..."

*looks down at a bloody corpse, cracks knuckles*

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
What I'd like to see from a Doom movie: Portal to Hell opens, demons pour out, main cast of stereotypes trapped on research station, yadda yadda yadda. Standard horror movie poo poo.

Then about 45 mins/an hour into the movie, the Doomguy walks in through the open portal.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Tiggum posted:

I think Doom 2 has a bunch of bad levels in the middle, but start and ends well?

It's been a while since I played, I just remember hating absolutely everything to do with Earth.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's a mixed bag. The final set of levels seems to focus on frustration for frustration's sake a bit.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

GilliamYaeger posted:

What I'd like to see from a Doom movie: Portal to Hell opens, demons pour out, main cast of stereotypes trapped on research station, yadda yadda yadda. Standard horror movie poo poo.

Then about 45 mins/an hour into the movie, the Doomguy walks in through the open portal.

I would unironically adore this. You could keep the tension by making it abundantly clear that Doomguy isn't on our plucky protagonists's side either. They need to keep the gently caress out of his way and there will be collateral damage to some of them.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Who would play Doomguy?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Thyrork posted:

*ANGRILY SHOVES MONITOR*

GunnerJ posted:

"...what we did was for the good of humanity..."

*looks down at a bloody corpse, cracks knuckles*

Fuuuuuuuuck, New Doom is so good. The story beats at the beginning and the title reveal are spot on. Goddam, I love all the Dooms.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Thyrork posted:

I would unironically adore this. You could keep the tension by making it abundantly clear that Doomguy isn't on our plucky protagonists's side either. They need to keep the gently caress out of his way and there will be collateral damage to some of them.

Unf, keep going.......

The Casualty posted:

Who would play Doomguy?

Karl Urban. Doomguy would never take his helmet off and Urban was able to do the same with Dredd.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Wamdoodle posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck, New Doom is so good. The story beats at the beginning and the title reveal are spot on. Goddam, I love all the Dooms.

Unf, keep going.......

Karl Urban. Doomguy would never take his helmet off and Urban was able to do the same with Dredd.

Yeah but I don't know if Karl Urban wants to be typecast as "action hero who gets zero face-time in all their movies"

Besides, Karl Urban was in the last one, wouldn't this have to be a reboot rather than a sequel? I'm probably just overthinking all of this :v:
I say you get Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson. He can also play a silent, faceless murderer, and he's The loving Mountain, man.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Casualty posted:

Yeah but I don't know if Karl Urban wants to be typecast as "action hero who gets zero face-time in all their movies"

I dunno, he seems pretty hype on playing Dredd again in the sequel so he could be up for Doomguy. I mean the movie pretty much ended with the implication that he's special now so clearly he's been possessed by the spirit of Doomguy.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Thyrork posted:

My immediate thought on this is Jason X and I'm more than alright with that. Jason X was great.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Wamdoodle posted:

Unf, keep going.......

All action sequences involving the Doomguy are shot in first person?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I'm kinda glad I started Doom movie chat, but at the same time I really enjoyed the movie for the dump romp that it is. It's like my opinion for Doom 3 as well, I understand where people come from but I don't care because I liked it a lot.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

The Casualty posted:

Besides, Karl Urban was in the last one, wouldn't this have to be a reboot rather than a sequel? I'm probably just overthinking all of this :v:
I say you get Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson. He can also play a silent, faceless murderer, and he's The loving Mountain, man.

Holy crap I completely blanked out the fact that Urban played Reaper :v: It would set up some continuity though, lol.

GilliamYaeger posted:

All action sequences involving the Doomguy are shot in first person?

This goon gets it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wamdoodle posted:

Doomguy would never take his helmet off

No, he needs to take his helmet off. He just needs to convey everything with his eyebrows. No dialogue, no sign language, just pain reactions and

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Tiggum posted:

No, he needs to take his helmet off. He just needs to convey everything with his eyebrows. No dialogue, no sign language, just pain reactions and

I like this more :)

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

GilliamYaeger posted:

This is a great idea, but there are still some things to figure out, like... who can make the awesomest sounds for SSG? :v:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Just use the game sounds. For the doors, too.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Such a pity the Rock played the bad guy then because that man knows how to work his eyebrows.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Cast a woman as doomguy, watch the tears roll in.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

Cast a woman as doomguy, watch the tears roll in.

Even better, keep it ambiguous.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Cooked Auto posted:

Even better, keep it ambiguous.

I really wished they would've done this with Doom 2016 tbqh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

chrisoya posted:

Just use the game sounds. For the doors, too.

Didn't the actual Doom movie use the door sounds, at least?
I'm all for every door in every movie using that noise, it's one of my favorite sound effects ever lol