Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

In Training posted:

It's a mix of Dating Sim and Intense Action.

This is a very powerful combination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

thats the asterisk war thing. there was an anime this season

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh, so it is
lol that's bad

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it was pretty bad show. the thread became the catch-all thread for numbingly-dumb battle academy harem fanservice action fight shows. i think the game is new to japan too which is prob why you may not have heard of it

Super No Vacancy posted:

i thought the sickly little sister character on hundred was the stupidest character until asterisk introduced the the cat-eared orphan maid

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sakurazuka posted:

Same, though I could go for some dating sim intense combat

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Are Disgaea 3 and 4 worth it if I never played the series before? I liked FFT and Front Mission but played both long ago.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Are Disgaea 3 and 4 worth it if I never played the series before? I liked FFT and Front Mission but played both long ago.

If you like nonstop anime RPG parody, yes. If you want a game that takes itself even a tiny bit seriously, no.

Overall 4 is better than 3 thanks to a much cooler protagonist.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Super No Vacancy posted:

it was pretty bad show. the thread became the catch-all thread for numbingly-dumb battle academy harem fanservice action fight shows. i think the game is new to japan too which is prob why you may not have heard of it

bad game, bad show, bad thread

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Terminally Bored posted:

They're good but not much like the two games you mentioned, they're more puzzle games where you work out the most efficient way to power level yourself to 9999 than actual tactics games.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I actively tried to get into the Disgaea series with 1 and 3, and couldn't do it. It's pretty much as Sakurazuka said; the games are much less about tactics than they are about big numbers, and trying to get your numbers bigger than those of whatever your current arbitrary target is.

Some people love stat progression and grinding, and God knows you'll be happy as can be if you're one of them. It was not at all for me though.

VVV: Okay.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 1, 2016

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Backhand posted:

I actively tried to get into the Disgaea series with 1 and 3, and couldn't do it. It's pretty much as Sakurazuka said; the games are much less about tactics than they are about big numbers, and trying to get your numbers bigger than those of whatever your current arbitrary target is.

Some people love stat progression and grinding, and God knows you'll be happy as can be if you're one of them. It was not at all for me though.

Straight-up, you did get neither Disgaea, nor what Sakurazuka said. Disgaea is not about the grinding. It's about figuring out ways to skip the grind. It's about working out how the game works and then making it work for you. If stat progression and grinding is for you, then Disgaea is not your game, since doing those means playing the game in the worst way possible.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sounds "fun"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
disgaea has fun characters and you shouldn't play the first one

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The Colonel posted:

disgaea has fun characters and you shouldn't play the first one

Play the PSP version of the first one, so you can enjoy Disgaea D2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

Sounds "fun"

It is, in fact, fun if you enjoy playing games to figure out how to break them.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Thanks guys. I'm bad at maths but will try the games anyway.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Thanks guys. I'm bad at maths but will try the games anyway.

You can get through the normal content of 3 and 4 doing more or less what you want as long as you keep your party decently-leveled (i.e. do the main story stuff and enough messing around in item worlds to get your party respectable equipment). Grinding and game-breaking aren't really necessary until you get to the post-game content.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
You guys did a pretty bad job of describing Disgaea really

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Megalixir posted:

I would have done better, but I'm out of sardines.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Disgaea is a memetic SRPG with interesting mechanics for people who really, really like grinding.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I had to go back and do some dungeons early on to level my dudes properly in disgaea 4. It wasn't too bad since I was stomping the AI at that point but it might get worse later?

e; Disgaea 4 is my first disgaea game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Megalixir posted:

It's a game with a young girl who's actually a 1000 year old demon.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Disgaea is a memetic SRPG with interesting mechanics for people who really, really like grinding.

You had me at Memes

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

In Training posted:

You had me at Memes, d00d

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

somebody give me a hint on this triple dice roll

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

somebody give me a hint on this triple dice roll

The odds aren't that bad. Keep trying.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zam.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a game with a young girl who's actually a 1000 year old demon.

Interest piqued.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

For real though, unless you're way into big numbers, Disgaea won't do much for you.

And exploding penguins.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The odds aren't that bad. Keep trying.

but they said it was 1 in 212

that seems like bad odds to me

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I hit it on my 103rd attempt

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I got all 2's on my first roll which seems like it should've been close enough to be honest

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

mandatory lesbian posted:

but they said it was 1 in 212

that seems like bad odds to me

Not if you roll 212 times

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

trails of cold steel is cool but I can't wait to get past this nord highlands segment because gaius is kinda dull

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Not if you roll 212 times

that'll take forever....

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Manatee Cannon posted:

trails of cold steel is cool but I can't wait to get past this nord highlands segment because gaius is kinda dull

Gaius is my friend.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Manatee Cannon posted:

The backtracking in that section also killed it for me, as well as the plot not moving forward besides meeting Gideon

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Gaius is my friend.

he's a nice guy but he has nothing interesting to base an entire area around just him and his family

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Well, you are literally touring the nation. That's point 1 of why you are visiting the Nordlands. Point 2 is to establish how quick Calvard and Erebonia would threaten each other with war on flimsy suspicious of wrongdoing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I get why I'm here, I'm saying it's boring

the other areas had a lot more going on than this one. it doesn't help that they set up more interesting things right before I came here

day 2 will probably have more going on but day 1 hasn't really set up much anything