Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

masam posted:

How did you get techniques above 21 at level 18 though?

Where did I do that? It's probably an error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

masam
May 27, 2010
D tabia, level 17 elite with beat own as a lv20 technique is one. I believe

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Max tech level is character level + 3, Tabia is a LV17 Elite, 17 + 3 = 20. It checks out.

masam
May 27, 2010
Herp derp I'm an idiot and forgot that it was plus three. I have t right for my players and my npcs just looking at it it didn't make a whole bunch of sense in my head. Sorry prof! Also since this is the valor thread is anyone planning on a forum or online game?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

masam posted:

is anyone planning on a forum or online game?

There was a brief DBZ Super game a couple months ago, but it didn't last - I generally think Valor's more suited to roll20 than PBP.

I'd totally run something myself but I'm already running several games unrelated to the forums, so I don't have the time.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Still really want to find a game for this, preferably for roll20 as you noted, but finding anyone talking about this game is seemingly impossible outside this forum and google is useless.

Specifically the name makes it basically impossible to find anything about the game itself searching for it.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 3, 2016

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I'm at least toying with the thought of making an attempt at a Valor game, but to date the extent of my active familiarity with the system is said Dragon Ball game. I'm game to give it a whirl in some one else's game if there's a cool pitch, but if I did try to run it, it probably wouldn't be immediately, just because I sort of play with systems by myself for a bit before I try running them.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
I'm currently running a Persona game for my IRL gaming group with Valor; once I've worked out the kinks and gotten some experience with roll20 I'll probably scavenge it for useful material and run it here. Don't honestly know when that's going to be, though.

masam
May 27, 2010
I'm drat near positive that if I told my roommate there was the POSSIBILITY of a persona game in valor he would join the forums just to play. Dudes obsessed with persona games.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

masam posted:

I'm drat near positive that if I told my roommate there was the POSSIBILITY of a persona game in valor he would join the forums just to play. Dudes obsessed with persona games.

BeholdTheVoid and I are actually co-running a pair of connected Persona games right now! His leans more Persona 3, mine leans more Persona 4. We just hit level 9.

In case it's at all useful or interesting, the mechanics I'm using for PC Shadow confrontations:
  • Combat scene against a Master-type Shadow, coinciding with a Challenge Scene.
  • 2 meters - Psyche (starts at 1) and Rejection (starts at 10).
  • Any character can take a Support Action to encourage the subject of the scene, rolling against difficulty (Level + 9) to increase Psyche.
  • The subject of the scene can take a Support Action to make an opposed Resolve roll against their Shadow to reduce Rejection.
  • The character whose Shadow is being fought gets a -2 penalty to all rolls against his Shadow, gradually raising to a +2 bonus as Pysche approaches 10.
  • The Shadow gets a +4 bonus to all defense rolls, gradually dropping to +0 as Rejection approaches 1.
Plays a bit fast and free with the way it works in the games, but it's made for some very fun boss fights.

e: I just remembered I posted an excerpt from this very campaign earlier in the thread, so, less new info here than I thought.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 4, 2016

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

masam posted:

I think if there was a Persona game recruiting on the forum it would immediately sell about twenty Valor books. The last Persona game I'm aware of that recruited here saw something on the order of forty apps.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

TheArchimage posted:

I think if there was a Persona game recruiting on the forum it would immediately sell about twenty Valor books. The last Persona game I'm aware of that recruited here saw something on the order of forty apps.

This could actually be right, since the reason each of the writers are running one is that there were too many interested players for one game but just enough for two.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
So it turns out a Master class enemy with Repositioning attacks and an improved Damage increment really put the fear of god into a party, especially when the party tank couldn't make it and the other front-liner respecced. They spent the entire combat running around the room as the boss tried to punt them like footballs into and through the terrain. One particularly lucky attack brought one of the PCs from full to critical health in one blow. The battle turned pretty dramatically once the boss got to critical health and Berserker kicked in; its armor and defenses were so weakened it almost didn't get another turn. But the players won and gained entrance to the Velvet Room, so they were perfectly happy.

I'm still mostly playing around with the system to see what's possible, but designing enemies and gimmicks is a real joy. Next time I'll have them face a minor enemy which can use the blood of its enemies to buff or heal itself and a mini-boss who can separate their head from their body to set up counter-attacks.

Very worth it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
What's the point of the muscular strike, intuitive strike, etc. modifiers, exactly? Does it mean they must use that attribute to defend without substitution?

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Nope, they're just there if you want to substitute which attack attribute you want to use for some reason. At least, that's what I recall the answer being when that question was asked in the F&F thread.

There's probably some edge cases where you want to build a core with a specific attribute for the modifier bonuses but would prefer to use a stronger attribute for the attack and think it'd be worth using a level for that.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 10, 2016

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

I always thought the use of those modifiers was that certain techniques interact differently with certain damage types, like using a Spirit Damage Core to get more range on the Line modifier but using Mind to attack.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

I always thought the use of those modifiers was that certain techniques interact differently with certain damage types, like using a Spirit Damage Core to get more range on the Line modifier but using Mind to attack.

Theoretically yes, but I'm having trouble thinking of hypothetical techniques where that kind of tradeoff is really worth it. High Muscle characters who want a good ranged attack could take an Agility/Spirit technique to turn their penalty into a bonus while taking only a minor hit in damage, or in Season 1 you could build a Mind technique to get the early access to Smart AoE and replace the attack roll with an attribute you're actually good with. Otherwise it's probably more cost-effective to just forgo the bonus and just build it with a high attribute to start.

On a side note I was planning to run an encounter where the boss' head detaches from their neck and floats around the room (an Attack Node); it then changes shape into the heads of the PCs to Mimic their techniques. Refraction Limit (attack can't be used directly, has to be channeled through a Refraction Point) is mechanically a perfect fit for this but it's limited to Season 2, and we're still in Season 1. If I adapt Refraction Limit to work with Attack Nodes instead, is that going to cause a really obvious problem I'm not seeing?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

TheArchimage posted:

On a side note I was planning to run an encounter where the boss' head detaches from their neck and floats around the room (an Attack Node); it then changes shape into the heads of the PCs to Mimic their techniques. Refraction Limit (attack can't be used directly, has to be channeled through a Refraction Point) is mechanically a perfect fit for this but it's limited to Season 2, and we're still in Season 1. If I adapt Refraction Limit to work with Attack Nodes instead, is that going to cause a really obvious problem I'm not seeing?

It would work fine - Refraction Point itself is an S2 skill if I remember correctly. NPCs and especially NPC Masters and Elites can freely ignore season restrictions (like the invisible goblin fan club a boss of a campaign I'm in had).

That said you may consider tweaking the Stamina cost reduction for making that change...

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 10, 2016

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
I might also consider making the head a Companion, then giving the boss a Mimic technique with Companion Limit.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

ProfessorProf posted:

I might also consider making the head a Companion, then giving the boss a Mimic technique with Companion Limit.

This might work better than my original plan, as having the head be targettable but not have its own HP means the players have the option to disable it without adding additional bookkeeping on my end. Thanks!

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
:siren:Valorous Foes kickstarter is live!:siren:

Relatedly, literally everything in our storeenvy store is on sale right now.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 15, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
How easy would it be to model Stands as per Jojo's Bizarre Adventure in this system?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

How easy would it be to model Stands as per Jojo's Bizarre Adventure in this system?

Houserule: Everyone gets the skill "Companion" for free, and if it gets hit, instead of being disabled, the user takes the damage as if they were hit themselves.

And you're good to go.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Hard to tell - nine months later, does the PDF have bookmarks yet?

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Hard to tell - nine months later, does the PDF have bookmarks yet?

Not on the .pdf from DriveThru, or at least not my version which I just got.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Hello Valor thread! Lots of things are going on behind the scenes that I can't really talk about right now, but here's a fun thing I've been sinking the last few months into: Really in-depth API/character sheet scripting for running Valor on Roll20.

poo poo you get:
  • Character sheets that automatically calculate all derived values
  • Build techs on the character sheet that auto-calc damage dealt and effects, then buttons on the character sheet to automatically do all the dice rolls and damage numbers and whatnot in the game chat
  • If you put an end-of-round marker called "Round" on the turn order, it'll automatically update combatant Valor at the end of each round and automatically keep track of Ammo and Cooldown limits
  • "!rest" and "!fullrest" commands to heal everyone up by an increment or up to full after scenes
  • Auto-tracking of durations on temporary effects
  • Auto-tracking of regeneration and ongoing damage
  • A whole bunch of other poo poo I've forgotten about

Disclaimer, this is unofficial as hell and probably still full of bugs, but I'm still actively working on it. If nothing else, it's the fastest known way to create NPC sheets in a hurry.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

ProfessorProf posted:

Hello Valor thread! Lots of things are going on behind the scenes that I can't really talk about right now, but here's a fun thing I've been sinking the last few months into: Really in-depth API/character sheet scripting for running Valor on Roll20.

Man, I picked a good time to get the book then didn't I? This'll be helpful for whenever I get around to rounding up my players for a DBZ game.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
Okay, so instead of DBZ we're doing a Berserk-style game. The character sheet/API stuff has been really helpful in offloading some of the initial mathing edge for my players, easier for them to change around stats and figure out their build while looking at things. So I'm just posting again to say thanks a ton for the scripts!

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Ysengrin posted:

thanks a ton for the scripts!

You're welcome! There's still a lot of bugs, and it's in active development, so keep an eye on the link and you'll probably see the version number go up every couple weeks as I get more play data.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
Also, was there ever errata published? I ask partially because in the character sheets for roll20 the Improved Damage Increment skill progression is 4/2 instead of 5/3, and was wondering if that was a mistake or a change to the rules.

Ysengrin fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 31, 2017

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Ysengrin posted:

Also, was there ever errata published? I ask partially because in the character sheets for roll20 the Improved Damage Increment skill progression is 4/2 instead of 5/3, and was wondering if that was a mistake or a change to the rules.

There's a semi-official errata list that's probably going to get published once the next book comes out (which might take a while, since our kickstarter was a flop), and it's included in the API. The rules tweaks aren't finalized, but the list looks something like this.

On my to-do list for the API is adding a setting that disables the errata and lets you play by RAW.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
Thanks for the pastebin! Shame about the kickstarter, I was looking forward to Foes.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Foes is still going to happen, it's just going to take a lot longer now that it isn't pre-funded.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

As someone who has been playing with Prof I'm putting together an "Unofficial Official Errata List" so that people know what is happening with certain changes. I was also the person who hassled Prof about the Improved Damage Increment changes the most, so you can thank me for that one. :v: (notably, it's getting changed to 4/2 to 4/2 because Ive been rigorously testing it in a campaign Prof's running and its a weeee bit too powerful as-is.)

I haven't finished it yet, but I'll throw it up here when I'm done.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 12, 2017

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Double-Post, but worth it, The Unofficial Changelog of Official Changes is more or less live right now. As far as I know between both Void and Prof, these are the main "balance changes" (with added reasoning) that are going to be making it to an updated errata list as of right now.

Disclaimers abound: This is an unofficial list and obviously not officially endorsed as errata, and this list is obviously not final. Other changes may make their way down the pipe, some changes might get rolled back as testing proves they're less feasible than thought, and this list doesn't take into account minor errata on a various number of things (of which I am told there are numerous), only major balance changes.

For those that don't wanna jump to the doc, the quick list is as follows:

• Rebalancing of Health Limit and Ultimate Health Limit, due to giving way higher value than most.
  • Rebalancing Valor gain in later seasons across the board via changes to Bravado, Inspire, and Unyielding Determination.
  • A small buff to Final Limit
  • Nerfs across the board to the value/cost of the Accuracy/Evasion line
  • An overall buff to Improved Damage Increment (reduced cost, increased effect)
  • Reduced cost to Blazing Might and Fighting Spirit to bring them more in line with Physical and Energy Attacker

If you have any questions/concerns, comments are open and you're free to leave one on the doc.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 12, 2017

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Any chance these changes could be made to a .pdf copy of the book, to avoid having an unofficial reference sheet around?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

John Lee posted:

Any chance these changes could be made to a .pdf copy of the book, to avoid having an unofficial reference sheet around?

As I understand it (so take with a huge grain of salt), that's the plan, but since the Kickstarter didn't manage to get where it needed to go the schedule's getting pushed back a bit as the work on VCF takes precedence.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
So last Friday I ran a game, and everyone had a blast. PCs were the officers of their own little mercenary band made out of 50 flunkies grouped by unit class. First session ended with them killing their potential employer and sacking the military camp, then selling their actions to their enemies. Had a morale meter for the battles, both to let people use their skills (one of the players took inspire and focused on commanding groups of units) and so that the mass combat could be abstracted a little. Having the character sheet was nice because a lot of the players weren't fans of doing math but loved messing around with the roll20 sheets to figure out powers, and made a team that really synergized well.

One player now even wants to GM their own game, based on Armored Core.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Ysengrin posted:

One player now even wants to GM their own game, based on Armored Core.

Full mecha support is on the eventual timeline, but in the interim I'm planning a game based on Code Geass, so I created a quick-and-dirty framework for making it work. You can see it here, it shouldn't be hard to adjust it for Armored Core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

ProfessorProf posted:

Full mecha support is on the eventual timeline, but in the interim I'm planning a game based on Code Geass, so I created a quick-and-dirty framework for making it work. You can see it here, it shouldn't be hard to adjust it for Armored Core.

Ohhh, this is really neat! My friend's plan is we'll have separate sheets for both our mecha and pilots, but I think once I get around to running my own mecha game I'll be cribbing that.

Also, any recommendations for running mass combat? I've been treating "units" of flunkies as moving and rolling on the same turn order, and in mook v mook combat I just abstract it to "everyone in the unit rolls to hit, everyone in the unit rolls to defend, remove however many hits went through from the defenders without caring about the range" but any other thoughts?

Edit: Said friend was interested in getting a physical copy of the book, is there anywhere that she can? The storenvy shop is "Under Construction."

Ysengrin fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 26, 2017

• Locked thread