Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Doctor Butts posted:

:lol: if Carson is the choice because that would mean Carson is the biggest sell-out in regards to his faith and the sad part is so many evangelicals wouldn't care.

Trump has got to be the least Christian candidate in a hundred years.

Carson's speaking slot is not the VP speaking slot. He and the Trump kids are doing the various "prime-time" slots for the opening days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Hillary learned gently caress all from 2009.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

sean10mm posted:

Given the Brexit fiasco, and the massive power vacuum and all around cluster gently caress that has ensued since, this one gets a big ol' :laffo:

Really? The majority of the British people voted against a core and central tenet of the Cameron government, it's correct and proper for them to need a new Prime Minister after that. This wasn't him losing on a minor platform issue, this was him losing a public referendum on something major that's heavily defined Great Britain for a generation.

Compare this to the period 2005-2008 where George Bush lost the trust and approval of the American people - we were stuck with him for three years.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Rygar201 posted:

Dude congressional districting is light years ahead of Parliament. Ours at least have to have similar populations. Whatever system you guys use is just a poo poo show.

I'm not from the UK, but by all means please explain how you think the UK system works and why that's bad.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Peerage. That is all.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

At this point it's mandatory for Dems to say a lot of poo poo about how you can't wait to talk to the other side. How predictive that is of actual behavior under real world conditions I can't say anymore.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Combed Thunderclap posted:

At this point it's mandatory for Dems to say a lot of poo poo about how you can't wait to talk to the other side. How predictive that is of actual behavior under real world conditions I can't say anymore.

For who? Are there people who actually believe bipartisanship can exist in this political environment?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

You're acting like Clinton should somehow do immigration reform without working with Republicans?

Maybe you forgot not all Republicans are Steve King, or maybe you like Democrats will win the House and a supermajority in the Senate?

MizPiz posted:

For who? Are there people who actually believe bipartisanship can exist in this political environment?

You mean like the bipartisan massive overhaul of regulations on toxic chemicals or the bipartisan bailout of PR?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

1stGear posted:

I have no idea why anyone is agreeing to compete in these conditions. I realize it's THE OLYMPICS and all but when you are basically guaranteed to get the worst case of the shits in your life and there's a pretty substantial chance of contracting something that kills you, I feel you would have solid grounds go not show up.

It's unfortunate but basically the last 12 years of their life, and more or less life goal to compete in the olympics is at the whim of the IOC and who they choose/are bribed as a host nation. So this is their one shot at the olympics and they have to do it in poop water or get zika babies.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
While the UK system has problems, I'm gonna be the 4th of July killjoy and point out that the House/Senate party deadlock you have doesn't really exist here. You either have the majority to pass laws and govern or you're not considered a government and Parliament will be dissolved. It's why the UK could never have a government shutdown like the US did.

We do have the House of Lords though, which is vestigial and stupid. So you beat us there.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It's unfortunate but basically the last 12 years of their life, and more or less life goal to compete in the olympics is at the whim of the IOC and who they choose/are bribed as a host nation. So this is their one shot at the olympics and they have to do it in poop water or get zika babies.

A few athletes have pulled out so far but there's probably more social pressure in rowing because it's a team sport. If an individual track&field person pulls out the rest of the team can still do their events but if half the rowing crew quits the other half is out no matter how willing they are to take their poop bath.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

MizPiz posted:

Not sure if there are, but all I saw was an article about how a politician allegedly intends to - gasp - wine and dine people to try to persuade them to implement their policies. :monocle:

I totally understand the desire to be wary given how the Dems wasted their majority (although there the problem was compromise within the party as much as compromise with the GOP) but even today's Take No Guff Obama that everyone worships likes to say the words "compromise" and "gridlock" a lot so they can't get painted as an extremist crippled by their own views, and that's all I took away from what reads like a campaign propaganda piece.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I don't get why the Clinton campaign is placing ads in the NYT targeted at Tom Friedman, but that's the only thing that article could be.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

You're acting like Clinton should somehow do immigration reform without working with Republicans?

Maybe you forgot not all Republicans are Steve King, or maybe you like Democrats will win the House and a supermajority in the Senate?

You mean like the bipartisan massive overhaul of regulations on toxic chemicals or the bipartisan bailout of PR?

The Democrats and Republicans tag teaming Puerto Rico probably isn't a great example to use unless you want to make the point that bipartisanship mostly happens to gently caress over poor people

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fans posted:

While the UK system has problems, I'm gonna be the 4th of July killjoy and point out that the House/Senate party deadlock you have doesn't really exist here. You either have the majority to pass laws and govern or you're not considered a government and Parliament will be dissolved. It's why the UK could never have a government shutdown like the US did.

We do have the House of Lords though, which is vestigial and stupid. So you beat us there.

Right. It's in vogue to go "LOL BREXIT AMERICA ISN'T THE WORST ANYMORE", but again, that only happened because Cameron decided to go explicitly outside of the norms of parliamentary procedure and leave the decision up to a direct vote.

If Obama decided to hold a national referendum on something like, I dunno, the Keystone pipeline or the TPP I'm pretty sure that'd have the potential to have the vote go disastrously "wrong" too.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

gradenko_2000 posted:

Right. It's in vogue to go "LOL BREXIT AMERICA ISN'T THE WORST ANYMORE", but again, that only happened because Cameron decided to go explicitly outside of the norms of parliamentary procedure and leave the decision up to a direct vote.

If Obama decided to hold a national referendum on something like, I dunno, the Keystone pipeline or the TPP I'm pretty sure that'd have the potential to have the vote go disastrously "wrong" too.

I'm not sure Obama actually has the power to do that.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fans posted:

On the other side of things needing to form a coalition to have a government exist can lead to extreme groups getting far more power than their popular vote totals would support. Israel is a good example of that happening recently.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Larch posted:

Westminster (AFAIK) can't make a legally binding referendum either, so

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

gradenko_2000 posted:

Westminster (AFAIK) can't make a legally binding referendum either, so

I'm aware. I'm not sure Obama has the power to create a non-legally binding referendum.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
jfc just give us this - we'll take back the title in four months I promise

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Shifty Pony posted:

On the other side of things needing to form a coalition to have a government exist can lead to extreme groups getting far more power than their popular vote totals would support. Israel is a good example of that happening recently.

A system that can, under certain circumstances, lead to unrepresentative outcomes is still better than a 2 party system that will always do so.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can you imagine a popular vote on China's Most Favored Nation trade status or even NAFTA?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Shifty Pony posted:

Oh we're far from perfect that's true. In our system Republicans could have 5 years to pass pretty much any law they wanted if they won and Democrats the same. So America would still be hosed up, just hosed up in a very different way.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Shifty Pony posted:

Can you imagine a popular vote on China's Most Favored Nation trade status or even NAFTA?

I'd love to see a poll on how many Americans actually know what Most Favored Nation status even means.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The United States actually has a constitution that attempts to delineate the powers of the branches of government instead of making poo poo up as they go along in the UK so I don't think a national referendum on anything, binding or not is possible in the US without a constitutional amendment or some sort of federal law

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The Larch posted:

Neither did David Cameron. It was the legislature. It's just that in the UK the executive has to have the support of the legislature or they stop being the executive.

The up- and downside of this mapping into the US system is that the built-in Republican strength in the House would translate into them dominating the entire state apparatus. But then if my grandma had wheels she'd be a bicycle.

Both countries' issues would be reduced by :siren: proportional representation :siren:

Brexit Tories should be their own party. In a PR system they'd run on UKIP lists and UKIP would have parliamentary representation instead of eating the Tories from within and causing a referendum.

The country could be lead by a Labour/Leftie coalition of Blairites and Corbynites.

The Tea Party would be its own party.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

TheOneOutside posted:

Fiestacat is orange, right? With comically tiny paws?

2016: Orange is not the new Barack

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MizPiz posted:

Probably not, but there are definitely people still hard-coded to hiss like wildcats if the news calls a candidate "partisan."

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

MizPiz posted:

I believe in bi-partisan support for Israel, building a wall as a massive infrastructure spend, loving over communists, and reforming America's broken education system.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Really the only thing that makes US politics better than the UK in any sense is the lower % of white voters in the US. With UK demographics we would live in a perpetual GOPocalypse.

Parliamentary systems can be more representative, but picking *now* to talk up how great the UK system works is legitimately funny.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The US system has a constitution, guaranteed rights, a supreme court that can rule on constitutional principles, and meaningful input from the minority party in government.

Oh, also too: no loving monarchy and lords.

Using Louie Gohmert as an argument against Madisonian democracy is the worst type of contrarian clickbait crap.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

botany posted:

Why would the brexit invalidate the UK parliamentary system and make it worse than your gerrymandered, systemically corrupt two party system.

Other than the legal Gerrymandering, which should absolutely be struck down and which there appears to be a creeping illegalization of, the only real problem with the system is our refusal to expand the House as we should. The last time was something like 1911, and it has us creeping toward 1 representative per 1 million voters. We should at minimum double the membership of the House, and more preferably expand Congress to the size of the UK Parliament; 1,350 Representatives in the House and 100 Senators. Then even Wyoming gets 2 reps and lingering Gerrymandering is weakened.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'd love to see a poll on how many Americans actually know what Most Favored Nation status even means.

hint: it's basically least favored nation status

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

The US system has a constitution, guaranteed rights, a supreme court that can rule on constitutional principles, and meaningful input from the minority party in government.

Oh, also too: no loving monarchy and lords.

Using Louie Gohmert as an argument against Madisonian democracy is the worst type of contrarian clickbait crap.

Madisonian democracy is bad because of competing mandates and voters don't get it so they don't know who to blame for poo poo being bad

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
At least in the UK they can say "well the Tories really screwed the swine this time"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Madisonian democracy is bad because of competing mandates and voters don't get it so they don't know who to blame for poo poo being bad

Voters seem to often be confused as to who to blame for poo poo being bad the wold over and regardless of political system.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Not a problem for the people who votes their political beliefs rather than some vague "throw the bums out" notion.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Well man, if the ability of the average voter to understand the intricacies of the system is the metric by which you want to judge a system of government, I think you'll find yourself disappointed by all of them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean if you think about it wasn't India also better off under British rule too? Really I think all the old colonies should be very ashamed for leaving, it was very rude and selfish of them.

If you want me to pretend a literal fuckin monarchy is better than a basic system of representation well good luck on that I guess but you need a better argument than 'well but REPUBLICANS EXIST' when you guys have literal nationalists surging in popularity and power while ours are at least being mocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

The British crown, obviously. Down with the monarchy! Up with freedom! Liberate Canada.

• Locked thread