Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Kind of in the mood to pick up one more game, but limiting myself to stuff on my Wishlist under $9.99. Help!

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition
King's Bounty: Armored Princess
Dark Souls
To Be Or Not To Be
Tales of Symphonia
Dungeonmans
Goat Simulator
The Talos Principle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

C-Euro posted:

Kind of in the mood to pick up one more game, but limiting myself to stuff on my Wishlist under $9.99. Help!

Dark Souls
To Be Or Not To Be
Tales of Symphonia
Dungeonmans
Goat Simulator
The Talos Principle

I'd cross off Goat Simulator (dumb after 5 minutes), and Tales of Symphonia (supposedly terrible port) for sure. I don't know anything about To Be or Not To Be, but everything else remaining on there is good. I particularly like Recettear and Dark Souls, but they are all good depending on what type of game you are looking for.

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Re-ordered by recommendation :

Dark Souls
The Talos Principle
Tales of Symphonia (PC port is...OK but not stellar)
Dungeonmans
Goat Simulator
To Be Or Not To Be

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010
Have any of you tried the steam controller? Any thoughts on it after long time use?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

:gifttank: Last chance to jump on the Gift Train before the sale ends! :gifttank:

Come sign up before it's over!

Main game of the sale, thanks to whatever idiot bought me Highrise Heroes, this thing is consuming me.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Cardboard Box A posted:

Only a really good deal if you don't own any of them already though.

Probably too late to affect anyone's purchasing decisions, but it's as good a deal regardless of how many you own. You only pay for the ones you don't.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

My modest haul:

Stanley Parable
Subnautica
Metro Last Light Redux
Guns, Gore & Cannoli

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Revol posted:

Okay, I got an idea for a request. I'd like a recommendation for an multiplayer open world survival game (think Ark, Rust, and all the rest) where it is viable to solo. That's what I feel like playing right now, but I'm not sure it exists.

Not sure if you've already played it since it's been out for awhile, but 7 Days to Die was that game for me. I love how you can customize the game for your tastes. I sometimes crank the zombie spawning way down when I want to focus on need-based survival and exploration (there's still challenges from wildlife though). Resource gathering wasn't as grindy for me as soloing Ark, so that was a big plus.

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

snipermonkey posted:

Have any of you tried the steam controller? Any thoughts on it after long time use?

I don't regret getting one but it's...odd? It takes a lot of getting used to and isn't really intended as a one-stop-shop controller. If you have ever used a trackball mouse the right pad, despite being digital, is closer to that than an analog stick. The feedback on it does a very good job of mimicking that feeling of rolling a physical thing.

It is super flexible and the customization options are nuts. You can have per-game setups right down to have the "trackball" feel heavier/lighter or have more/less momentum or make it behave more like a mouse/analog stick. There is also a community system for games that lets you download/upload configs so you can find popular setups and start tweaking from there. The buttons are in kind of an odd spot so anything that relies on those and a stick at the same time is better served using a different controller. Several of the triggers are pressure sensitive the same way PS2 face buttons were despite clicking like buttons so they work more like proper triggers.

It works pretty well for games that don't require doing things in a tight time frame. For example it works quite well for playing Cities: Skylines and Baldurs Gate. Its probably not your go to for an FPS or anything you want a D-Pad or quick buttons for like fighting games or platformers.

It won't completely replace a mouse+keyboard or a controller but for games that fall somewhere in the middle it works quite well. I played through a good chunk of M&M: Words of Xeen on one and aside from having to type into the occasional dialogue box it worked just fine.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Dark Souls
To Be Or Not To Be
Tales of Symphonia
Dungeonmans
Goat Simulator
The Talos Principle

Dark Souls if you are in the mood for action RPGs, VtM: Bloodlines if you never played it before and can tolerate older graphics. I consider both to be among the greatest games of all time. Talos Principle is supposed to be really loving good if you like puzzles, but I haven't played it yet.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Not a large haul since I have a pretty big backlog, but it's a haul.

The Beginner's Guide
Broken Age
Day of the Tentacle Remastered
Undertale OST
LISA: Complete Edition
Crypt of the Necrodancer (Gift from DraconicImpulse; Thanks, man!)
Quake II (Birthday gift from a friend)
Freddi Fish Complete Pack (Birthday gift from a friend)

Robotic Accolade
Jul 23, 2007

EDF! EDF! EDF!

Objective Action posted:

Dark Souls
The Talos Principle
Dungeonmans
Goat Simulator
To Be Or Not To Be

Dragon Age Origins is a little slow paced for me but it's a strong loveletter to classic WRPGs with some Bioware flavor. It's also a lot of content for the money.

Dark Souls is Dark Souls.

Recettear is my personal suggestion out of your list: it's a fair bit shorter than some of the other titles on your list but if you don't mind indie-level polish and some cutsey Japanese content (nothing creepy or super-anime), it's an amazingly fun little game. I've put over 100 hours into it and enjoyed every one of them.

Haven't played the Talos Principle yet but everyone who has raves about it, so this is also a good choice?

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is an odd title. It's a little rough (it was made on what was basically a beta version of Source, I believe?) and it has... occasional pacing issues, but it captures the atmosphere and world of Vampire perfectly, and has a ton of little details that make the game. Branching end paths, multiple solutions to (some) quests, and lots of fun characters. There's a thread Here that's STILL active, if that tells you anything. A solid choice.

Goat Simulator is a one note pony. It's a fairly funny note but it wears off its welcome fairly quickly.

The others I don't know enough to comment on.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Objective Action posted:

Dark Souls
The Talos Principle
Dungeonmans
Goat Simulator
To Be Or Not To Be

Goat Simulator is go.. No wait Escape Goat is good and cute, that's what I was thinking of. Everything except the bottom 2 are really good (except ToS). They're all completely different genres so it's up to you what you think is most interesting. King's Bounty plays like the other King's Bounty games if you played them, Recettear is funny and pretty simple. I'm a dedicated Dark Souls-phile, and DS1 is the best of them still. I enjoy Dungeonmans a lot, though if you're not already into Roguelikes you might drop it pretty quickly after a few days.

DAO is okay (a solid 6/10 Baldur's Gate throwback with Mass Effect romance weirdness), you'll at least get a lot of hours out of it. If you like being an evil rear end in a top hat to NPCs it has good moments. It doesn't hold up as well in light of Pillars of Eternity. Talos Principle I've also only heard good things about but never played.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Went over on my budget. :negative:

I already had more games than time left on earth, but I think I made out pretty well. Also now part of the 500-game club! :toot:

Towerclimb
7.62 High Caliber
Jagged Alliance 2
Environmental Station Alpha
Miasmata
Primordia
Recettear
The Long Dark
Mushihemesama (gift)
DOOM (gift)
Undertale (gift)

Eador (gifted)
Icewind Dale EE (gifted)
Beyond Earth - Rising Tide (gifted)
Witcher 3 (gifted)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

HMS Boromir posted:

Probably too late to affect anyone's purchasing decisions, but it's as good a deal regardless of how many you own. You only pay for the ones you don't.
Ah thanks, good to know

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Does the DLC for project cars add anything important? I'm thinking of picking it up, but I don't want to end up with a game where 90℅ of the content is DLC.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Any of the DLC for Way of the Samurai 4 worth buying?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

What is the absolute best version of King of Dragon Pass available? Android, iOS, GOG or Steam?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Any of the DLC for Way of the Samurai 4 worth buying?

It's all shortcut dlc iirc so no.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Mystic Stylez posted:

What is the absolute best version of King of Dragon Pass available? Android, iOS, GOG or Steam?

The Android and Steam versions are essentially the same, so you can't really go wrong with either. So I suppose it just comes down to control preference. The last time I tried the GOG version I couldn't even get it to run on Windows 10, so there's that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my last two dollars.... games i'm eyeing

stargazer ($.49)
alien breed impact ($.99)
armed & dangerous ($1.49)
lost crown ($1.99)
1954 alcatraz ($1.99)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

As the final hours of the sale march in, here are a set of deals you absolutely should check out:

RPG Heroes Summer Bundle: getting the best/worst out of the way. 59 cents for 11 janky, terrible games, with the possible exception of City of Chains, which seems to be interestingly janky.

Moving onto actually good games: Dungeonmans is a great roguelike with a mechanic built into the game so you can improve future characters when your current one inevitably dies. The dev frequently works on the game and streams his gamedev, which is super interesting, and the game itself is really fun! One of the first roguelikes I ever beat. If you enjoyed Dungeons of Dredmor, I'd say this is better, and for 7.49$ you should check it out.

The Sea Will Claim Everything is 4$ and contains some of the most interesting writing I've ever seen in video games. No, really! It's a whimsical adventure game with a snappy sense of humor and apparently it goes places with its plot. I'm still in the first area myself, but it's such a soothing balm of a game to play - get a cup of tea and meander through its strange world.

Axiom Verge is the cheapest I've ever seen it at 12$, and when a kind goon gifted it to me on the gift train, I didn't know how much of a treat I was in for: it's the best metroidvania I've played since Metroid Fusion. The art and atmosphere are incredibly weird, verging on creepy in areas, and the actual gameplay is classic metroid. I am hugely, hugely enjoying it - now, to be fair, the bosses I've faced so far have not been exciting, but the meat and potatoes of the game is wandering around, soaking in the atmosphere as you explore. I'm also told the plot gets stupid, but it's so unobtrusive so far that I doubt it'll matter.

Undertale: for 7$ you get a charming, silly game that reminds me of Earthbound. It's honestly good despite the fanbase, but you'll have to dig its sense of humor. Please, please check it out.

Invisible Inc: 6.79$ for one of the best strategy games I've ever played! You're the scrappy underdog in this cyberpunk world, and you're out to steal everything you can from the corporations. It works! God, it works brilliantly. The campaign is great fun up until the final mission and its crazy difficulty spike, but for a much smoother experience, endless mode is much smoother in its difficulty curve. And as a bonus, if you're bad at games like I am, the game features an undo button, which you can adjust freely at the start of the campaign.

Deathstate: 7.49$ for the most relaxing single stick shooter I've ever played. You don't have to aim your bullets: instead you automatically fire at whoever's closest to you, and spend your focus on dodging instead. This makes for intriguing situations where you need to be close to the boss - or not, to clear out his minions. And so on. The ambiance in this game is wonderfully creepy as you fight eldritch horrors and ingest their organs for power-ups.

And to finish with a smattering of weird puzzle games: 868-HACK is a cross between a roguelike and a puzzler, and it's weird! So very weird, but I can't help but play a few games here and there, because they're short and fun. (2.82$) LYNE is only 89 cents and has simple, calming puzzles, and oh the achievements are funny. Quell, a puzzler from the makers of Highrise Heroes - you can get all three of 'em for 1.59$.

Everything in the store seems to be on sale so I could go on for ages, but there's a collection of games worth looking at, in my humble opinion. :)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Quest For Glory II posted:

armed & dangerous ($1.49)
Watch the cutscenes on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA1eRLCUgqo

It doesn't play that well. And the video compression is poo poo.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Alright goons, Go/No Go on FF Type-0 before the sale ends?

Goon asking about DAO: I loving love it, it's one of my favorite CRPGs since BG2.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

snipermonkey posted:

90% of the time I use it to watch movies/shows off my computer. I haven't been able to play a game with it unless it's one of those "needs to use the mouse every now and then" type things. It's good for emulation too, when it isn't %100 controller supported.

My haul:

Disgaea PC
Super Time Force Ultra : Really hard time rewinding contra
Hero Defense - Haunted Island
Sleeping Dogs DE
The Jackbox Party Pack 2
Ultimate Chicken Horse
Gang Beasts : Kinda dumb...
Tormentum - Dark sorrow
Dungeon of the Endless
Super Trench Attack : Stupid but actually fun
UBERMOSH : Hard, not fun
Blood and Bacon : Coop bad rats
Gemcraft - Chasing Shadows
Super Panda Adventures : Actually good NES style platformer
Move or Die
Catlateral Damage
8-bit Armies : Fun RTS
Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Last minute impulse buys:
Is Dragonball XV and/or its DLC a good game / worth it at the current prices of $12 / $18?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Shout out to Xander77 for tossing the Serious Sam DLC for Talos Principle my way. Any excuse to play more Talos Principle is a good excuse. Thanks!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Ragequit posted:

Serious Sam DLC for Talos Principle

Wait, what?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

snipermonkey posted:

I'll echo what Objective Alpha said: I like it, it is my controller of choice now, but it is not my "one-stop-shop" controller. For myself, I use it for almost every game that I normally use a controller with. Recently, there have been two exceptions. Mass Effect 3, I recently finished, I used my 360 controller because I used a controller mod on that game that was incompatible with Steam Controller, it seems. Non-steam games are usually not a problem, but there are exceptions. I also planned to use it with Rise of the Tomb Raider, and I was, but I abandoned it for keyboard and mouse. I usually play third-person games like that using the Steam Controller, but I wasn't happy aiming speed while zoomed in. I'm not completely happy using KB+M, either; Lara's movement feels a lot better using an analog stick.

This controller was designed for playing PC games on your TV that you otherwise wouldn't be able to, because the games are strictly designed for keyboard and mouse. If you want to play Civilization and Cities: Skylines on your HDTV, then this is a must buy. I haven't done this, no desire to.

What I do use this controller for are games that I would typically use a normal controller for. Third-person action/RPG games, like Witcher 3, Dark Souls, Assassin's Creed and Arkham. Metroidvania games, action side scrolling games like Salt and Sanctuary, Momodora. Typically I play FPS games using keyboard and mouse, but I did a playthrough of Portal 2 using the controller.

It is incredibly customizable, and some players have found ways to really excel with it. I just watched a video of somebody playing an FPS games with the controller, and they got nine straight kills, and was the top player of the match. A lot of it has to do with using the gyro to help with aiming. I tried a setup like that in Tomb Raider, but I couldn't grasp it. It takes a lot of practice.

If you have any kind of interest in a new kind of controller experience, I would recommend it, especially while it is still on sale for 20 more minutes.

marjorie posted:

Not sure if you've already played it since it's been out for awhile, but 7 Days to Die was that game for me. I love how you can customize the game for your tastes. I sometimes crank the zombie spawning way down when I want to focus on need-based survival and exploration (there's still challenges from wildlife though). Resource gathering wasn't as grindy for me as soloing Ark, so that was a big plus.

I was reading reviews, one negative caught my eye about cheating. How pervasive is it? I understand it's going to exist, I can't hold that against an Early Access game, but if it is really common, that's another story.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Replaces all the Elohim dialogue with Sam. It's... like it sounds? Not recommended for a first playthough.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

NRVNQSR posted:

Replaces all the Elohim dialogue with Sam. It's... like it sounds? Not recommended for a first playthough.

Gaming is weird and I suddenly want the Talos Principle.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Everyone likes a haul post, right?

Darkest Dungeon
One Finger Death Punch
Refunct
The Talos Principle
Shadowrun: HK
Dungeonmans

Now I feel that "you spent too much on video games" feeling :/

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Adequate posted:

Gaming is weird and I suddenly want the Talos Principle.

If you like puzzle games at all (especially those with an interesting story), you absolutely need to get Talos Principle.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

raditts posted:

Last minute impulse buys:
Is Dragonball XV and/or its DLC a good game / worth it at the current prices of $12 / $18?

If you have interest in the Dragonball Z universe, it's worth it. I mean, you don't have to be a bigtime current fan, I played it because I remembered watching Dragonball Z as a kid and had a blast playing through the entire ridiculous story. The fighting is fun brawl-y stuff, you get to design your own character and earn their moves and clothes and everything, there's a ton of stuff to collect.

I really like the game but I only played through singleplayer and never got in to the multiplayer.

Also I feel like the absurdity of Dragonball's story works better as a videogame than a cartoon.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Spent my last two bucks. Final total:

Gifted: Fran Bow, Bionic Commando 09, Bionic Commando Re-Armed, Tron 2.0, Trails SC, RHEM IV

Bought: 1979 Revolution, 35MM, ABC Murders, Ara Fell, Aztaka, Bleed, Darkness Within 1 & 2, Deadfall Adventures, Deadly Sin 1 & 2, The Descendent Ep. 1, Dex, Doom 3, Dr. Green, Fearless Fantasy, The Guest, Highrise Heroes, Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death, Magnetic: Cage Closed, Meltdown, Metro Last Light Redux, Mirrored Ep 1, Morningstar, The Music Machine, Neon Struct, Please Don't Touch Anything, Pony Island, Reveal the Deep, Rusty Lake Hotel, Section 8: Prejudice, The Slaughter Act One, Stargazer, Super Chibi Knight, Super Cyborg, Unreal 2: The Awakening, Verde Station, Whispering Willows

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thanks goons, ended up going with Recettear since I think that had been on my Wishlist the longest. Final count:

Titan Quest- Immortal Throne
Morrowind GOTY
Alpha Protocol
All Skyrim DLC
Age of Mythology EE
Crypt of the Necrodancer
AoE II: The African Kingdoms
Recettear

All for under $60, not bad. Now where to start :sweatdrop:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I think I mentioned I got 20 games or so. Spent 50$ (15$ or so for my own games), emptied 2 inventory pages, used up about 30 games codes. Fun times.

One of these days I'll have enough $$$ to compete with sklurb and asterioth. Not today though.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 4, 2016

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Man .... I do it every sale. The dreaded 'Last minute freak out purchase' at the buzzer!.

This time was Subnautica and Invisible Inc with the DLC.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
The clock is ticking down, I know I want one more game, and I know I want it to be survival. But I just can't make up my mind. Oh God, only four minutes left?!

gently caress it. I bought both Rust and 7 Days to Die. Over the last two weeks, I've spent over $800 on video games. I am a bad person. I should not be allowed around money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
I managed to limit myself to four purchases this time around.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong
Transistor
Spelunky
Ticket To Ride

Instead, I blew most of my holiday entertainment budget on new hardware now that my i5 system is nearing the end of it's upgrade cycle.

• Locked thread