Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I'm guessing not PAD since you can get it for free on your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It might be worth buying Captain Toad a second time so we get a sequel

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Meldonox posted:

Isn't phone PAD really heavy with microtransactions? The 3DS one isn't. Doesn't make it a great game by any means but if you want the PAD experience without having to gradually bleed money then it's the way to go.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Looper posted:

what happened to your avatar

D&D happened and I'm lazy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Weird I got no such coupon, just a wallpaper

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

greatn posted:

Weird I got no such coupon, just a wallpaper

Maybe its a regional thing?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

Maybe its a regional thing?

I'm American and my birthday was last week.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

greatn posted:

I'm American and my birthday was last week.

Same here, I wonder if it's something new?

Although... I didn't even get a wallpaper.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meldonox posted:

The Mario PAD version is a lot better because it isn't loaded down with microtransaction bullshit.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

shaitan posted:

Same here, I wonder if it's something new?

Although... I didn't even get a wallpaper.

Same! :(

Do I need to defend the eShop and own more amiibos so Nintendo will give me birthday discounts? poo poo I got nine amiibos, don't tell me I need a minimum of ten to unlock birthday wallpapers.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
poo poo, I have like 34 amiibo and own all those same games as jig job except I have super mystery dungeon and don't have Mario Party 10.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Goons help I can't stop playing Pokemon Picross but I'm quickly approaching the pay-to-play wall, what other Picross games should I grab and how do I get them?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Get the Picross and/or Picross 3D DS cartridges.

The Picross games on the eShop are fine, they just have fewer puzzles.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Check your used games store for a game just called Picross for DS, it is great. Apart from that you can grab Picross e - e7 on the eShop, Mario's picross, and if you're desperate there's pixlcross on the WiiU eshop. The thing about picross though is only Nintendo games have good controls for them. The controls from any other company suck rear end.

Also grab Picross 3D for original DS, when you're wanting a change up from the 2d ones.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Twilight Princess Picross is not bad and pretty easy to get free.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

C-Euro posted:

Goons help I can't stop playing Pokemon Picross but I'm quickly approaching the pay-to-play wall, what other Picross games should I grab and how do I get them?

Picross e5 and e6 on the EShop are probably your best bets.

I ended up "buying" Pokémon Picross and I don't really regret it since I got my money's worth, but the Picross e series gives you around the same number of puzzles for much less. There's just no customizable Pokémon hint system, and not really any challenges besides "finish the puzzle in under an hour(?) to see it in color."

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Anyone have an SD card recommendation for 3DS? The last one I bought kept randomly failing. I'm all out of space on my default one that came with the system so I'd like a pretty decent sized one.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Samsung Evo.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

PureRok posted:

Anyone have an SD card recommendation for 3DS? The last one I bought kept randomly failing. I'm all out of space on my default one that came with the system so I'd like a pretty decent sized one.

Also, make absolutely sure you buy from a really reputable source. MicroSD cards are ridiculously easy to counterfeit and set to fradulent sizes. Buy directly from Samsung or from a reputable retailer with a great return policy. Don't ever trust ebay listings. Ever.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

pnumoman posted:

Also, make absolutely sure you buy from a really reputable source. MicroSD cards are ridiculously easy to counterfeit and set to fradulent sizes. Buy directly from Samsung or from a reputable retailer with a great return policy. Don't ever trust ebay listings. Ever.

Sellers on Ali Express will even sell SD cards with descriptions like "32 GB (real capacity: 8 GB)" for people who want to make a quick buck selling counterfeits, so it has never been easier to rip people off with deceptively-labelled storage media

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm still playing Pokemon Picross and haven't paid anything for it. It's perfect for my commute because I do the training and a couple of puzzles, then I redo the puzzles to get all the challenges.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Reminder that one of the very few worth things you can spend your platinum My Nintendo points is a picross game, Zelda-themed.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm almost done with all the normal puzzles in Pokemon Picross and once I'm done I think I'll never want to play another picross game.

It's very long

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i don't understand picross

even the tutorial in pokemon picross is too much for my dull mind

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Pokemon Go is starting to release on telephones, get it if you like Ingress.

Japan's getting Wave Race on the Wii U VC next week.

Shovel Knight debuted at #1 on both Wii U and 3DS eShop charts in Japan (the Wii U version is eShop only, the 3DS version got a limited retail release bundled with an amiibo): https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/5960da60-3f28-11e6-9654-063b7ac45a6d.html

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

irlZaphod posted:

I'm still playing Pokemon Picross and haven't paid anything for it. It's perfect for my commute because I do the training and a couple of puzzles, then I redo the puzzles to get all the challenges.

I'm on (I think) Route 05 and it's going to take me a couple days of training to get the last few Picrites I need to open one of the next two routes, to say nothing of unlocking any extra Pokemon slots or extending my meter (which may not be necessary). Maybe the math will work out that I don't need to buy Picrites but it's still going to take some time.

Saoshyant posted:

Reminder that one of the very few worth things you can spend your platinum My Nintendo points is a picross game, Zelda-themed.

I still haven't registered my MyNintendo account :negative:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo posted a trailer featuring all the indie games they'll be demoing at this week's Bitsummit even in Japan, there's some new/unnanounced stuff there: https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/dd0233dc-41af-11e6-9654-063b7ac45a6d.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG35UprNokk

WII U:
Runbow
TorqueL
Ace of Seafood

3DS:
Shovel Knight
Fairune 2
Gunma's Ambition for 3DS\
Cave Story
Shin Hyu Stone (sequel to Splash or Crash/Kersploosh)
Block Legend
Back in 1995 64
摩尼遊戯TOKOYO (buddhist-themed shmup)
Nyoki-Nyoki Tabidachi-hen (new puzzle game from the ex-president of Compile, the studio that made Puyo Puyo)
1000m Zombie Escape!

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Ace of Seafood looks amazing.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

I'm on (I think) Route 05 and it's going to take me a couple days of training to get the last few Picrites I need to open one of the next two routes, to say nothing of unlocking any extra Pokemon slots or extending my meter (which may not be necessary). Maybe the math will work out that I don't need to buy Picrites but it's still going to take some time.

I downloaded it the day it released, bought only the two promotional picrite deals, and I have all areas unlocked, full party, 200 energy, mega pencil, and I'm about 300 picrites away from unlocking Alt-World, which I think is the last major unlock.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I liked the 3DS version of PAD way more than the lovely phone game. There's some clever mechanics in how the actual puzzle movement works, it's more interesting than a normal Bejeweled clone.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

FactsAreUseless posted:

I liked the 3DS version of PAD way more than the lovely phone game. There's some clever mechanics in how the actual puzzle movement works, it's more interesting than a normal Bejeweled clone.

They are the same mechanics as the phone game. It is, however, a lot more fun because the game is rebalanced to reflect the lack of microtransactions. Monsters have better stats and grow more quickly. Evolution fodder is still kind of a pain to collect, though. Also, the monster sprites are way prettier than they have any business being, like it's some Shin Megami Tensei-level poo poo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's a second PAD game for 3DS called Puzzle & Dragons X but I wonder if Nintendo will bother to bring it over, I don't think the other ones sold fantastically well.

There's also a dedicated Monster Strike game for 3DS - it looks pretty slick, with a 3D overworld and all sorts of poo poo that's not in the phone version, but it's also a tie-in with an anime so it probably won't come overseas.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 6, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There's a second PAD game for 3DS called Puzzle & Dragons Z but I wonder if Nintendo will bother to bring it over, I don't think the other ones sold fantastically well.

There's also a dedicated Monster Strike game for 3DS - it looks pretty slick, with a 3D overworld and all sorts of poo poo that's not in the phone version, but it's also a tie-in with an anime so it probably won't come overseas.

Isn't Puzzle & Dragons Z just the non-mario part of the package we got?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

They are the same mechanics as the phone game. It is, however, a lot more fun because the game is rebalanced to reflect the lack of microtransactions. Monsters have better stats and grow more quickly. Evolution fodder is still kind of a pain to collect, though. Also, the monster sprites are way prettier than they have any business being, like it's some Shin Megami Tensei-level poo poo.
Yeah. The core mechanics of PAD are fun, but the most common piece of advice is to play the tutorial over and over until you get one of a handful of specific monsters, which I think is evidence of how badly the awful F2P mechanics drag it down.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Yes. It's also the main game. The Mario one is a shorter (and bizarrely enough, harder) bonus game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

deadly_pudding posted:

Oops, I meant X:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqMfyv2uYPU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I downloaded it the day it released, bought only the two promotional picrite deals, and I have all areas unlocked, full party, 200 energy, mega pencil, and I'm about 300 picrites away from unlocking Alt-World, which I think is the last major unlock.

Then I must have hosed up somewhere along the way because I have ~75 Picrites, three slots, 200 energy, and have no other ways of earning Picrites outside of daily training or managing to beat one of these 20x15 grids that keep popping up (for which I have no useable Pokemon) :sigh:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nintendo posted a trailer featuring all the indie games they'll be demoing at this week's Bitsummit even in Japan, there's some new/unnanounced stuff there: https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/dd0233dc-41af-11e6-9654-063b7ac45a6d.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG35UprNokk

WII U:
Runbow
TorqueL
Ace of Seafood

3DS:
Shovel Knight
Fairune 2
Cave Story
Block Legend
Back in 1995 64
Nyoki-Nyoki Tabidachi-hen (new puzzle game from the ex-president of Compile, the studio that made Puyo Puyo)
1000m Zombie Escape!

I'm happy that Cave Story continues to fight the good fight and show up on every console ever released.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Man it's really telling how much money those guys pull in from F2P whales that they can make a game with that much production value. A company less flush with cash would have just recycled the phone assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

WII U:
Runbow
TorqueL
Ace of Seafood

3DS:
Shovel Knight
Fairune 2
Cave Story
Block Legend
Back in 1995 64
1000m Zombie Escape!
Wait did Japan just never get Cave Story, or are they releasing a third 3DS version of the game now??