Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Bruceski posted:

I never noticed Dona Dona playing during that scene, it really adds to the thing. (song summary for other folks, calf headed to market lamenting that it's not a free bird and is thus bound for slaughter)

I honestly have not been able to pay enough attention during that movie to tell if it has a plot, it's just a big smorgasbord of surrealist (I think that's the right term) metaphor and imagery.
Never seen the movie, just that clip, but surrealism is basically just dream logic as applied to real life. Think David Lynch. Most good surrealist stuff leaves you wondering what the hell just happened because there's little or no consistent logic to it. Usually on purpose.

That clip is more what I would call literalism (in a non-biblical sense) if I was being kind; otherwise it's just lazy symbolism. Instead of turning reality into a dream, literalist stuff just merges metaphorical subtext into actual text. Best recent example I can think of is Snowpiercer, where the a Marxist metaphor for the means of production is represented by an actual engine of energy production that has to be seized in order to maintain power and control. There's no distance there between power in an electrical sense and power in a social sense. It's not at all surrealist (it makes as much sense as any other fictional story), but it's a very literal application of pre-existing metaphors.

So when the chick transforms into a cow here, you understand exactly what's going on; she's stupid, so of course she's a cow now. That's story/metaphor logic. Dream/surrealist logic would be if she turned into a dinosaur and stomped everyone to death and then turned into a gigantic sperm-creature that impregnated a platypus with a one-armed serial killer who huffs nitrous oxide.

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Most, if not all, of Utena's concepts can somehow be tied to the theme of growing up.

The car motif, for instance, was a blatant recurring imagery tied to sexual maturity (and corruption). Children don't drive cars, see? Adults drive cars. So cars = growing up = sexuality. Anthy driving Utena, in the form of a car, into the highway of the "outside world" is actually a pretty clear-cut allegory of the two of them leaving behind the childish, fairy tale world of princes and duels and into something a lot more dark and scary but also more fulfilling.

(I dunno about the cow thing)

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

BrianWilly posted:

Most, if not all, of Utena's concepts can somehow be tied to the theme of growing up.

The car motif, for instance, was a blatant recurring imagery tied to sexual maturity (and corruption). Children don't drive cars, see? Adults drive cars. So cars = growing up = sexuality. Anthy driving Utena, in the form of a car, into the highway of the "outside world" is actually a pretty clear-cut allegory of the two of them leaving behind the childish, fairy tale world of princes and duels and into something a lot more dark and scary but also more fulfilling.
So it's a bad version of American Graffiti. Got it.

edit: wait are we talking about two different videos or what, i do not watch the animes

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 5, 2016

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Ok one last thing. The cow thing makes more sense in context. The girl is the top "mean girl", who gets sent a "Dior" cowbell that she starts carrying because it's frickin' Dior. Noone is impressed for some reason but she doubles down on it and carries it around everywhere. I think the transformation is just an unsubtle way of saying that she has a terribly low self esteem, and defines herself by how other people see her. Everyone sees a cowbell, so she starts subliminally acting like a cow and finally turns into one.

I think.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
What do you think Barry's favorite anime is?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Whizbang posted:

What do you think Barry's favorite anime is?

The guy who voiced Lelouch in Code Geass does the Japanese dub voice of Barry, so maybe start from there?

But seriously, it's probably Cowboy Bebop.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
Goddamn anime chat in comic book TV thread.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Animes are just comic books in motion.

Well, mangas too, but you get the idea.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Barry was a 10 year old boy in 2001, his favorite anime is Dragon Ball Z.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

greatn posted:

My evidence against this is he didn't yell "Kamehameha" when he hurled that lightning at Zoom.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

greatn posted:

Tenchi Muyo, hence the idiot relationship drama.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

FactsAreUseless posted:

Tenchi Muyo, hence the idiot relationship drama.

Ranma 1/2, hence the relationship drama, father drama and constant training.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Barry wouldn't be an anime fan, he's into incest, not pedophilia.

Those are 2 different distinct mental illnesses.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Edit: nvm

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hermetic posted:

Ranma 1/2, hence the relationship drama, father drama and constant training.
Yeah, but that was never on Toonami.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

so he is big into fanfic instead of anime

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Aphrodite posted:

So you're saying Barry is a big Fire Emblem fan.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

He'd probably like the second arc of Sword Art Online.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, but that was never on Toonami.

But it should have been.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There was no toonami, Barry went back in time and stopped it. Did you even pay attention?

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Aphrodite posted:

There was no toonami, Barry went back in time and stopped it. Did you even pay attention?

No, he stopped Toonami Midnight Run, turning it into the vastly inferior Adult Swim. There's a difference.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
On the night of his mom's murder, Barry was waiting to sneak downstairs so he could watch Aqua Teen Hunger Force

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hermetic posted:

But it should have been.
Tell that to 8-year-old me and my many emails to Cartoon Network explaining this to them.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

FactsAreUseless posted:

Tell that to 8-year-old me and my many emails to Cartoon Network explaining this to them.

17-year-old me was right there with you, buddy. Awkward and cringe-inducingly nerdy, but trying to be persuasive.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Aphrodite posted:

Wait, who was talking about Star Trek? :aatrek:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Hermetic posted:

Ranma 1/2, hence turning into a woman whenever someone dumps cold water on him

... yeah I dunno it seemed like the joke to make :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Meet Kid Flash

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I assume that's the costume that's faithful to the comics, but man it just looks like the took the top half of the reverse flash costume and added it to the normal flash costume.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
So, I really like that. The yellow and red works better and is a pretty good take on the normal Kid Flash outfit.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Not bad!

I am more curious what they are going to call him. I'm sure Cisco will toss out a jokey "how about Kid Flash" which will get some jokey looks and eye rolls. It would seem kind of demeaning as an actual name since he's like 3 years younger than Barry.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Probably Impulse? I doubt Bart Allen shows up any time soon.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

Not bad!

I am more curious what they are going to call him. I'm sure Cisco will toss out a jokey "how about Kid Flash" which will get some jokey looks and eye rolls. It would seem kind of demeaning as an actual name since he's like 3 years younger than Barry.

It's flashpoint, he might've been going by kid flash since he was a kid, the diverging point is when Barry's mom died so it could be explained a bunch of ways. Plus the suit is very much Kid Flash, not very impulse at all and you can't ignore the name. Impulse is Bart Allen and Kid Flash is Wally West.

But I suppose they could make whatever changes they want, this is all new territory at this point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

As long as they avoid Black Racer.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
For what is worth, the series' official twitter is indeed calling him Kid Flash

https://twitter.com/CW_TheFlash/status/752895379700449280

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy A. Person posted:

Should just call him "Flash". No reason you can't have more than one running around.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Aphrodite posted:

As long as they avoid Black Racer.

Flash-no-the-black-one

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You mean Zoom?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jungle Rhythm The Speedy Jive Man

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A DC comic series running from 1962-1962.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

For what is worth, the series' official twitter is indeed calling him Kid Flash

https://twitter.com/CW_TheFlash/status/752895379700449280

I like it.

• Locked thread