Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

prometheusbound2 posted:

Western RPGs are my jam. I love well written stories that you can interact with and shape. If a game has a good, complex character and battle system I'll forgive a weak story(see, Wizardry, Divinity: Original Sin). If a game has a boring combat system with an interesting setting, good writing, compelling characters, and a wide latitude of player agency and narrative reactivity, I'm also game(see, Planescape: Torment). Hell, if a game lacks both but has intriguing exploration and a well developed world, I'm still game(see, Elder Scrolls). The thing is, I've played pretty much everything the genre has to offer, from the classics(and when I say classic, I think of the Infinity Engine games and Fallout as modern) to the AAA releases to the high profile Kickstarter games to obscure indie titles. Action based games like Mass Effect are awesome but my true love is turn based systems that most other could reasonably be called fiddly.

So now I'm looking east, and I thought this would be a good place to get customized advice. Sadly, no longer being a student I don't have nearly the free time to graze on games.

My favorite Western titles are: Fallout: New Vegas, Planescape:Torment, Arcanum, Wizardry 8, Divinity Original:Sin, Mass Effect 2. I've played and enjoyed the following JRPGs: Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, Suikoden 2, Battle Ogre: Tactics Let us Cling Together.

I like character systems and combat systems with lots of player choice: my least favorite part of the JRPGs I've played is it seemed you leveled up in a linear fashion. I like weird settings that aren't Forgotten Realms/Tolkien knock offs, but that are fairly well thought out. I like agency in the story: not only freedom to go in whatever direction, but a narrative that responds and reacts to player actions and choices, whether its branching storylines, recognizing that my intelligence stat is stronger than my strength stat in dialog(and otherwise using skills outside of combat) or having NPCs comment on small choices or sidequests. Item crafting systems are hardly necessary, but I've really liked them in the Western RPGs I've played and they seem commonplace in Japanese and other Eastern RPGs.

My only real deal breakers are really bad writing(whether its a cliched nonsensical plots about crystals or simply bad line by line translation) and please spare the standard response about LOL all games have terrible writing and obsessions with panty shots of female characters(is this actually a thing in JRPGs, or a stereotype?)

I'm pretty platform agnostic.

I'm open to general recommendations and would appreciate any comments on the following titles:

Legend of Heroes. It seems like there's two series, one that's released on PC and one that's on Playstation.
Persona/Shin Megami Tegasi
Nier
Valkria Chronicles
Disgea/any other NIS RPGs-they seem weird and obtuse in a very appealing way.

Legend of Heroes is all one series, taking place chronologically (Trails in the Sky, followed by Trails of Cold Steel). Trails in the Sky just has PSP/Vita and PC versions, while Cold Steel's exclusively on PS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

while Cold Steel's exclusively on PS3.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

isn't vii supposed to have a genuinely really good combat system

It's the same combat system but a bit more refined, I've never noticed a huge difference tbh, except for it being better balanced without grinding or using plans to make enemies easier. But then my approach to all turn based combat it 'get it over with as quickly as possible' so.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It's not exactly what you asked but, you didn't mention Witcher 3. Have you played that?

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

It's not exactly what you asked but, you didn't mention Witcher 3. Have you played that?

Played and loved Witcher 3. And the Spiderweb games. Really, pretty much every western rpg.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Zeboyd has been getting much better since their first games.

As evidenced by what?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Valkyria Chronicles is very good but it's more of a strategy game than an RPG. There are a couple of RPG elements, like leveling up, but you level up every single character in a class, not each individual character. So when you level up your snipers, all of your snipers level up.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

prometheusbound2 posted:

Legend of Heroes. It seems like there's two series, one that's released on PC and one that's on Playstation.
Nier
Valkria Chronicles

Legend of Heroes is pretty linear, the story wasn't very gripping but I enjoyed it in a "Well I played Wild ARMs when I was a teenager" kind of way.
I want to like the Persona series, but I've had consistently negative experiences.
Never played Nier.
I should probably play Valkyria Chronicles.
Disgaea will scratch any sperglord character-building itches you might have. The level cap is 9999 and you can make walking death machines with whatever abilities you want them to have, provided you have the patience to reincarnate them over and over and--well, if you get into it, don't say I didn't warn you. But if you have a Vita, get it on there, because it seriously lends itself to lying-down-and-playing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The White Dragon posted:

Legend of Heroes is pretty linear, the story wasn't very gripping but I enjoyed it in a "Well I played Wild ARMs when I was a teenager" kind of way.
I want to like the Persona series, but I've had consistently negative experiences.
Never played Nier.
I should probably play Valkyria Chronicles.
Disgaea will scratch any sperglord character-building itches you might have. The level cap is 9999 and you can make walking death machines with whatever abilities you want them to have, provided you have the patience to reincarnate them over and over and--well, if you get into it, don't say I didn't warn you. But if you have a Vita, get it on there, because it seriously lends itself to lying-down-and-playing.

If you were playing Persona 1 and 2, 3FES and 4 are vastly different and much more accessible.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh, my negative experience was P3-notFES and then Devil Survivor 1.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
For the people that have played 7th Dragon VFD, how's that game? Thinking of maybe picking it up once it comes out over here.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 386 days!

Dr. Fetus posted:

For the people that have played 7th Dragon VFD, how's that game? Thinking of maybe picking it up once it comes out over here.

Do you like Etrian Odyssey? It's pretty much the same thing.

I haven't played the recent one but I played the fan translated 1st one on DS, and it was alright, it seemed a bit easier than the EO games but doesn't hold your hand at all

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

it's CALLED a PEE ESS TEE VEE

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

prometheusbound2 posted:

Western RPGs are my jam. I love well written stories that you can interact with and shape. If a game has a good, complex character and battle system I'll forgive a weak story(see, Wizardry, Divinity: Original Sin). If a game has a boring combat system with an interesting setting, good writing, compelling characters, and a wide latitude of player agency and narrative reactivity, I'm also game(see, Planescape: Torment). Hell, if a game lacks both but has intriguing exploration and a well developed world, I'm still game(see, Elder Scrolls). The thing is, I've played pretty much everything the genre has to offer, from the classics(and when I say classic, I think of the Infinity Engine games and Fallout as modern) to the AAA releases to the high profile Kickstarter games to obscure indie titles. Action based games like Mass Effect are awesome but my true love is turn based systems that most other could reasonably be called fiddly.

So now I'm looking east, and I thought this would be a good place to get customized advice. Sadly, no longer being a student I don't have nearly the free time to graze on games.

My favorite Western titles are: Fallout: New Vegas, Planescape:Torment, Arcanum, Wizardry 8, Divinity Original:Sin, Mass Effect 2. I've played and enjoyed the following JRPGs: Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, Suikoden 2, Battle Ogre: Tactics Let us Cling Together.

I like character systems and combat systems with lots of player choice: my least favorite part of the JRPGs I've played is it seemed you leveled up in a linear fashion. I like weird settings that aren't Forgotten Realms/Tolkien knock offs, but that are fairly well thought out. I like agency in the story: not only freedom to go in whatever direction, but a narrative that responds and reacts to player actions and choices, whether its branching storylines, recognizing that my intelligence stat is stronger than my strength stat in dialog(and otherwise using skills outside of combat) or having NPCs comment on small choices or sidequests. Item crafting systems are hardly necessary, but I've really liked them in the Western RPGs I've played and they seem commonplace in Japanese and other Eastern RPGs.

My only real deal breakers are really bad writing(whether its a cliched nonsensical plots about crystals or simply bad line by line translation) and please spare the standard response about LOL all games have terrible writing and obsessions with panty shots of female characters(is this actually a thing in JRPGs, or a stereotype?)

I'm pretty platform agnostic.

I'm open to general recommendations and would appreciate any comments on the following titles:

Nier
Valkria Chronicles

My "favorite WRPG" list is pretty much identical to yours so I might have similar taste.
-Legend of Heroes is a very linear story series with generally very good writing if you like realistic but somewhat light-hearted street-level stories that very organically turn into something bigger. They kind of remind me of well-written children's cartoons that way. The character progression isn't strictly linear in the games (in Trails in the Sky, for example, you level up these magic stones and can mix and match them to give you various things abilities and benefits) but it's still fairly simple and it's probably the biggest weakness of the series.
-I never played a Persona game. P4 seems to be almost universally beloved across WRPG and JRPG fans though so I've been meaning to get to it myself.
-Never played the others except Disgaea, which is pretty fun but should be treated more like a puzzle game than a strategy game because it works better that way. It has the systems to support a very detailed multi-class SRPG but it ends up being more fun if you don't lean too heavily onto those and instead play the game underleveled. The AI is notably the worst in any SRPG you'll ever play but again, I think that relates to the developers thinking of it more like a puzzle game.

I'm going to make some recommendations.
-Final Fantasy 7: it's iconic and just about everyone's played it but that's for good reason. The materia system is actually pretty fun to mess around with though granted, it was most fun to mess around with when I was 13 years old. By modern standards, it's not very complex. The story is alright if sparse and poorly translated by modern standards.
-Final Fantasy Tactics - Tactics Ogre's weird younger brother that moved the gameplay systems both forward and backwards in a lot of ways. It's fun and it's very easy to get sucked into the job system. If you do play it, I recommend going into it blind since you've clearly played enough games that you can pick this stuff up without people telling you the OP ways to do or break things.
-SaGa Frontier: non-linear, choose your own character from a roster each with their own story, obtuse as all hell skill/battle systems, pretty decent art and OK writing. It's a love-it-or-hate-it game but I think you might like it.
-Xenoblade: Moderately deep battle/skill system, interesting world/lore, good writing and VA. If you try it, stay away from doing lots of sidequests because it will overpower you and make the game less fun.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 7, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

bloodychill posted:

-Xenoblade: Moderately deep battle/skill system, interesting world/lore, good writing and VA. If you try it, stay away from doing lots of sidequests because it will overpower you and make the game less fun.

The sequel is also an interesting game though not nearly as good as the first,

It's extremely light on plot and characterization over having more of a quest focus. I'm kind of mixed on the approach.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mokinokaro posted:

It's extremely light on plot and characterization over having more of a quest focus. I'm kind of mixed on the approach.

The plot is also missing its third act. The sheer quantity of city-filling side-content stories makes up for it a bit though. Unlike the barebones main plot, the sidequest stories tend to be really good.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

bloodychill posted:

-Final Fantasy Tactics - Tactics Ogre's weird younger brother that moved the gameplay systems both forward and backwards in a lot of ways. It's fun and it's very easy to get sucked into the job system. If you do play it, I recommend going into it blind since you've clearly played enough games that you can pick this stuff up without people telling you the OP ways to do or break things.

Don't forget making extra save files before the last battles of Chapter 3. That is potentially a game killer if you find out you cannot handle it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

tactics ogre: knight of lodis

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Someone get Steambot Chronicles on PS4/Steam pretty please.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mill Village posted:

Don't forget making extra save files before the last battles of Chapter 3. That is potentially a game killer if you find out you cannot handle it.

Make extra save files for every game ever when you can because why wouldn't you

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Andrast posted:

Make extra save files for every game ever when you can because why wouldn't you

ahh, to be so young as to not know what memory cards were

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

al-azad posted:

This game is so good. I got scammed into getting the horrible PSP "sequel", and I'd do it again in a heartbeat just for a chance at a proper follow-up.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

The White Dragon posted:

Never played Nier.

Why not? Fix this problem.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 386 days!

al-azad posted:

YES

I need more games where I can be mean as hell to my potential girlfriend and her sick mom? grandma? I don't remember and not have it effect my relationships

and more instruments to play my really bad songs

e: I guess IREM isn't a developer anymore :(

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Granzella guy made it sound like he wanted to try and get Steambot Chronicles 2 again after Disaster Report 4 is finally done (and I guess City Shrouded in Shadow, too) but didn't make any promises.

Maybe, one day..

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Why not? Fix this problem.

because i know cavia games and they're like sting games except they don't have sweet to go along with the bitter in the endings

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

bloodychill posted:

Mokinokaro posted:

TBH, I think these games aren't supposed to be just "do the story and ignore the sidequests for a while" given the amount and all the stuff they put into the quests. Plus, fwiw, when I tried to go through the first game without doing any sidequests I got gated by levels several times. It really feels like they intend for you to do a bunch of sidequests in the areas as you get to them. Not ALL of them (since frequently you can't do them all from the get-go) but definitely do some of them.

The White Dragon posted:

because i know cavia games and they're like sting games except they don't have sweet to go along with the bitter in the endings

There's a tiny bit of sweetness I felt in Nier. Still pretty dour overall but it's not completely bitter.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Hackan Slash posted:

This game is so good. I got scammed into getting the horrible PSP "sequel", and I'd do it again in a heartbeat just for a chance at a proper follow-up.

it was very good??

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

The White Dragon posted:

Sting games? Like WCW vs the World?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

it was very good??

YES!!!

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 386 days!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Sting games? Like WCW vs the World?

STiNG, the company that made unique rpgs with innovative mechanics until they got bought by idea factory so they can poo poo out nepnep games at an accelerated rate

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
There's some new WFF footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUGSNxfnsFE
Murder and capture baby chocobos for personal gain.

The aesthetic is great, I hope the gameplay balance is good.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Looks like Moon Over June.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

HGH posted:

That Tidus summon took way too long but it made me smile. Everything about the game makes me smile. I just hope you can speed up the fights a bit though since it's a little too slow-paced.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

HGH posted:

This game looks kind of ugly. The characters expressions are disconcerting.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

HGH posted:

I'm ready to buy this game

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Well there goes my plan of beating dragon quest 7 before smt4:a comes out. Is it even possible to beat dq7 in four days?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Linnaeus posted:

Well there goes my plan of beating dragon quest 7 before smt4:a comes out. Is it even possible to beat dq7 in four days?

Sure, if you don't sleep or do anything else. At all.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

96 hours would probably put you about halfway through DQ7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

96 hours would probably put you about halfway through DQ7

What is that, like, 2 bosses in?