Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hard mode active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

solid snake that poo poo imo

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Laranzu posted:

Popped an incense and everything poo poo out immediately after.

Great.

Same. Good times had by all.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I guess the White House is also a gym that someone has a Blastoise at.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Hey, if you guys get to brag about nodes inside your offices...

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

What happens in like 2 months when all the tryhards fill the gyms with impossible to defeat pokemon? How will people who didnt pick the game up today get into it down the road?

It's your 6 pokemon vs 1 of theirs, should be doable without minmaxing and maybe a little typing.

Rafza posted:

i am pretty sure that pokemon spawns are individual-based, so my nearby list would be different from yours if we were standing shoulder to shoulder

I think it's all server-side (which is why people aren't seeing pokemon when the servers get bogged down). A coworker and I took a walk yesterday and were seeing the same pokemon out in the wild. We both seemed to catch it if you do it simultaneously. I don't know if it dissappears if one person catches it though.

Drythe posted:

Pretty sure it's Obama

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
There's 7 pokespots where I work :monocle:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Just get a Pokemon that's strong enough to beat all the guards. :colbert:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I am now planning to get off my bus 2 stops earlier when I come home from work, because I'll walk past 2 Pokéstops on the way to my house.

Pokémon tryin' to make me fit. :argh:

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Pakled posted:

Just get a Pokemon that's strong enough to beat all the guards. :colbert:

Ackk! I dropped my keycard after that last fight!

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I'm 250 xp from level 5 and can't find poo poo. Quick question about gyms, do types actually matter? Like, can I wreck all the water type gyms in my area with parasect? Or does it not matter?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

There's an empty lot in my neighborhood where a house burned down a few years ago after the woman who lived there murdered her husband. Today I found a Gastly there. poo poo's a little too real.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Drythe posted:

Biden is fist-pumping right now because he knows he's got that poo poo on lock

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If I remember correctly, the exact requirement for an Ingress portal is that it be open to the public at least some of the time. So private homes are off limits because you're only allowed with express permission from the owner, but places with restricted or part-time public access (like schools, churches, businesses, and military bases) are generally valid. So yes, the White House counts because you're able to access it with public tours even if you can't hop the fence and sprint into the Oval Office.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Haha

Hold on tour guide dude, I gotta cap this gym

I specially trained a magnetite with self destructOHGODNO

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Knifegrab posted:

I occasionally see like grass bits flying off the ground near me, if I go to that area will I find a pokemon?

Also what is the deal with teh little footprint pokemon thing to the right of the pokeball on the main menu?

If you hit the button at the bottom right, a menu will pop up with the pokemon in the immideate area. Ones you've already seen will be filled in, new ones will be "whose that pokemon?" type silhouettes. Each has footprints based on distance.

If you pick one, you can select it, and then it'll show up on the main menu so you can see the number of prints change as you move.

In practice its pretty random, not sure if that's my GPS or the servers having issues or what.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Of course I decide to walk to the deli and hit a few pokestops on the way and the server goes down. Also a growlithe popped up on my way but disappeared when I tapped to attack it.

I'm excited since I never played Ingress but this is annoying.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So if I find a blue gym, I can drop another pokemon there to buff it up right? (assuming I'm blue)

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Do you get benefits for adding pokemon to your team's gym similar to being the leader of the gym? Is the leader just whoever has the strongest pokemon in the gym? How does this poo poo reward you

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

welp im outta poke balls and there's no poke stop close by even though im in a city of 500,000. game over man

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Bottom Liner posted:

This sounds like the gooniest loving thing ever. Please tell us the story.

It's not that goony, on our end at least.

This girl used to play board games with us every week at our mutual friend's house, and also a bunch of other stuff; she was like manicure friends with my girlfriend, and we all used to hang out and go to movies and stuff. She ended up getting super involved with the Ingress people here. Like, can't afford groceries because she spent all her money on gas driving back and forth to like Syracuse for Ingress viking raids-involved. People were calling her the War Siren of Charlotte Beach. She started flaking out on like everything we invited her to because she was up all night shoring up portals or whatever, so we just kinda stopped talking to her after a while.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Petr posted:

Literally every stop near me except one is a church. And that one is inaccessible.

Many of the original Ingress spots were populated from google data. A large percentage of the post offices, city halls, and fire houses in the country are in there, for example. And, yes, churches. Beyond that relies on player participation, usually.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Knightmare posted:

It's your 6 pokemon vs 1 of theirs, should be doable without minmaxing and maybe a little typing.

I think it's all server-side (which is why people aren't seeing pokemon when the servers get bogged down). A coworker and I took a walk yesterday and were seeing the same pokemon out in the wild. We both seemed to catch it if you do it simultaneously. I don't know if it dissappears if one person catches it though.

Pretty sure it's Obama

No, it's your six versus however many they have there. Lame.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I almost managed to catch a Dratini, but it broke out of the Pokeball and disappeared right before the server crashed again.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

m.hache posted:

So if I find a blue gym, I can drop another pokemon there to buff it up right? (assuming I'm blue)

Gyms start out level 2. I think that means they can have up to two pokemon in them. (Limit one per player). Then to put more in after that, you have to raise the level of the gym. You can raise the level of your side's gyms by "training" there, which involves picking similar-CP pokemon and winning. This rewards prestige, which levels up the gym. Using higher-cp gives less prestige.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I don't really get why Nintendo and Niantic didn't see massive, record breaking load on their servers for Pokemon Go's launch, because the servers are virtually inaccessible as of 12PM EDT and currently as a I type this. It's a goddamn Pokemon F2P game. It's as inexplicable as Blizzard's Diablo 3 server launch screwup.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

HighwireAct posted:

Two issues I've had with the game so far:
- The game doesn't remember Google logins
- When you get the “server issues” screen, there's no option to return to the main menu, so you need to actually close the app and restart it to get back

Yup. It's retarded.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I wish the servers would come back up so I could capture the gym literally 20m from my house.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

io_burn posted:

This is exactly how this "game" is for me too. I live in a reasonably dense Chicago suburb, I have a Pokestop that's one church and in the total opposite direction a gym at another church. Nothing else going on.

Where at? I'm in bollingbrook currently ruling 4 gyms for the blue team.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
Time I've spent trying to play this game: ~1hr 30min
Time I've actually spent playing this game: Maybe like 10 minutes

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Pokemon No Our Servers Are Not Up

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
On the one hand, eevees apparently live in my living room.

On the other hand, the nearest Gyms are at the local college (Which there's no way I'll be able to take/keep) and all the pokespots are at the bottom of the ludicrously steep hill I live on and/or in places where there aren't sidewalks because my town doesn't spend money on things that aren't Pizza Joints.

Also the game doesn't keep my phone from locking in low-batt mode, and doesn't engage low battery mode when it's face down, only upside down.

Hooray Ingress...

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Dead for two hours here.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I walked around for about an hour earlier today grabbing a bunch of Pokemon but around that time the severe started to poo poo themselves. I tried to take over two gyms but I couldn't fully knock out the first Pokemon in either.

Still had fun before that though! If you're in the Boston area I highly recommend coming up to Salem to get some levels, items, mons, and lunch (literally anywhere is a good choice for lunch) on the weekend.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How long until they add stamina or only have the servers available 12 hours to reduce load?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

So the pin / wrist band $35 addon. Is it GPS+4G or does it pair with your phone over blue tooth and still eat your battery?

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
I was able to log in, catch a Rattata, evolve it, and hit level 5. I clicked the gym by my work before the servers shat the bed again. Rip

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
has anyone made a pokemon NO joke yet

if not, let me be the first

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I already did on this page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

My wife and I now own a successful gym at the local Jehovahs Witness church. Come at me.

• Locked thread