Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

JUMPYDOLL was the password to the Q room computer in VLR

That part was funny because Phi sees it written and immediately, without any idea of what it's referring to, pronounces it as "Joompy doll" to sound like the first syllable in Junpei's name instead of as the word "jump."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Ah, alright.

I really want to replay 999 but at this point it's probably smartest to wait for the port. It's definitely coming out on steam, right?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

orenronen posted:

Finished last night. I played the Japanese version (that is, Japanese text + voices, on a Vita cartridge bought in Japan). Some notes about translation:

- Every piece of in-universe text is left in English, including the anagrams and the various notes passed between the teams through Gab (VLR also had English anagrams in the Japanese version). The dialogue has the voice actors first attempting to pronounce them in English (to often hilarious result), and then spend another line translating them to Japanese for the benefit of language-challenged players.
- I'm not sure how the English version reads, but the Japanese file about the snail murder specifically says a Japanese man was falsely arrested for it, which makes it even clearer he was there on a business trip abroad or something.
- I entered the twins birthday password in the Japanese date order (20291116) and it worked. I wonder if both orders work in both versions.
- Akane was never June in the Japanese trilogy. She was Murasaki (purple) in 999, named after a grape-shaped doll Junpei gave her and the fact Mu is one way to say 6. All of these details were completely changed in the localization. One of her passwords in Japanese ZTD is still June, though, which means either the developers were lazy or Delta can see through to localization timelines.

This is all very fascinating.

Kinda confirms this one was made for the western fans first, huh?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

*someone pulls a flawless anagram of the title out of their rear end after glancing in its direction*
Zero Escape 4:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Was anyone else annoyed that Akane never called Junpie Jumpy? Did she just forget because she went back in time and for her it had been a long time?

Actually, didn't she call him Jumpy in VLR?

Whatever, it seemed like an oversight.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Waltzing Along posted:

Was anyone else annoyed that Akane never called Junpie Jumpy? Did she just forget because she went back in time and for her it had been a long time?

Wouldn't surprise me if Junpei: Edgelord Edition told her to cut it out because it was childish.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't actually think she does.

At the very least I could've sworn he called her Kanny in VLR, but then he never did on my second playthrough so I guess not

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The more I think about it the more annoyed I am at how innocent and generic Akane was. Didn't her official bio in the pre-release stuff even talk about how its mostly an act and her true self is different? It didn't show at all here unless you count her going insane and killing Carlos in a couple scenes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It would have tied the series up nicely.

Also, boo at little text docs rather than short cinematics. I wanted a wedding scene, dammit. A red wedding. Muah hah hah hah.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The more I think about it the more annoyed I am at how innocent and generic Akane was. Didn't her official bio in the pre-release stuff even talk about how its mostly an act and her true self is different? It didn't show at all here unless you count her going insane and killing Carlos in a couple scenes.

Well, this was the first time we see her completely out of her element. In 999 she had foreseen everything and it was all an act. In VLR she's either dead or again, had foreseen everything and was just acting as K. Here she has no idea what's going on.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

It would have tied the series up nicely.

Also, boo at little text docs rather than short cinematics. I wanted a wedding scene, dammit. A red wedding. Muah hah hah hah.

It was then that I realized how low budget this game probably really was. well that, plus the preorder written story obviously being intended for the game proper

uchikoshi and his staff clearly survived dev time entirely by eating khlav kalash

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

psst

FANATIC BIO R
FANATICBIOR
FABRICATION

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Linguica posted:

psst

FANATIC BIO R
FANATICBIOR
FABRICATION

That's good to know, i was going to ask "Is Fanatic Bio R even real" but I was already assuming not.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Linguica posted:

psst

FANATIC BIO R
FANATICBIOR
FABRICATION

Nice.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Hmm. Obviously this refers to two milkmen quitting their jobs and going into comedy... ZERO, WHAT ARE YOU PLOTTING!!!

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Zero Escape 4 already came out in the year 2050 and if you want to play it you better learn how to SHIFT.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

orenronen posted:

- Every piece of in-universe text is left in English, including the anagrams and the various notes passed between the teams through Gab (VLR also had English anagrams in the Japanese version). The dialogue has the voice actors first attempting to pronounce them in English (to often hilarious result), and then spend another line translating them to Japanese for the benefit of language-challenged players.\

They do the same in the English translation, except they reword it into a slightly different English phrase that means the same thing, as if they found the original line confusing for some reason. I thought it was pretty blatant what was happening in Japanese.

Edit: To be honest, I never really had a problem with them being able to solve anagrams in their head. Since Phi did the same thing in VLR, and we can just assume she and Akane are super-geniuses or something.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 8, 2016

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Tipme posted:

Zero Escape 4 already came out in the year 2050 and if you want to play it you better learn how to SHIFT.

I shifted back to this timeline to tell you that the game is ok I guess. Also it turns out I'm a dad now???

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing that bugged me is how Delta set all this poo poo up if his only super power is the ability to read peoples' minds; I don't remember it being mentioned that he also has Akane's "see all futures" ability. How did he even know the world was going to be destroyed? Also the ending is kind of a bummer when you realize that all of this accomplished precisely jack poo poo and the vast majority of universes involve all of humanity dying or radical-6 being unleashed. Also why are we supposed to assume the cast will be able to find this Radical-6 vector if Delta with his MIND HACK ability and big terrorism organisation can't pull it off.

Also, wouldn't Phi only exist in the specific history where Sigma ends up conceiving her with Diana? In all the other timelines she would never have been sent back into the past in the first place and wouldn't exist. I would think it's like the situation with Akane in 999, but if that were the case Phi would also disappear once it became clear a timeline wasn't going to result in her being conceived and Phi wouldn't still be around in VLR.

Also, the alien transporter. What a giant elephant in the room of a plot point that was never explained beyond "Well some researchers found it"

I enjoyed the game, but unlike the previous games I found myself unable to ignore the plot holes/unexplained things and wasn't really wowed by most of the plot twists. The other games also had plot holes, but they didn't leave the same lingering sense of disappointment.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Also, wouldn't Phi only exist in the specific history where Sigma ends up conceiving her with Diana? In all the other timelines she would never have been sent back into the past in the first place and wouldn't exist. I would think it's like the situation with Akane in 999, but if that were the case Phi would also disappear once it became clear a timeline wasn't going to result in her being conceived and Phi wouldn't still be around in VLR.

I think the ZE model of multiple universes works by having timelines split as you go forward in time, and converge when you go back. Phi was sent to a past in the same universe as the one we're in in the very first scene of the game - the one shared by all future branches. Therefore, she exists in all of them as long as just one branch has her conceived and sent back.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I've always assumed that the "Akane fading because she hasn't closed the time loop" stuff in 999 was just lies, since it doesn't fit with any of the rest of the series' time travel logic. It seems far more likely that Akane just left the facility whenever the timeline became too divergent to use, and any "fading away" mythos was just because she's a big fan of that movie about M wanting to bang his mom.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh Christ you just reminded me of that "we can't say the M word" talk. That was legitimately my favourite sciencebabble in the game, it was so, so 999.

I just read through the beginning pages of this thread and it seems like most people dislike Eric for being a gun-toting maniac. But, let's count how many times he actually brings it Shotgun Eric: twice. First, when Mira is dead by unknown means he waves it around for a while but relents when Sean is reduced to a crying mess.

Now the second time is a bit ridiculous (in how long he keeps it up), I'll agree, but he had his reasons. Mira is still dead, two people from another team just came in and found their own bodies, Carlos went on a murder rampage apparently, etc. I admit in the scenes that follow this I was constantly yelling at the characters to please someone, anyone, get the goddamned gun or if this poor baby's hands before he shoots someone by sheer accident though.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
That overlooks his attitude to grenade launchers.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The grenade launcher gets a pass because it was hilarious

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Delta knows everything because he can read minds. He can read Akane's mind so he knows everything that she knows.

I think.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It is kind of weird to me in retrospect how little it mattered to Junpei he was just a year removed from 999's events where Akane=Zero was kind of a big deal. ZTD was far more of a sequel to VLR than 999 but it still it was strange how much it seemed to distance itself from it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think they wanted to avoid spoiling the major twists of the other games for people who hadn't played them yet.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Nate RFB posted:

It is kind of weird to me in retrospect how little it mattered to Junpei he was just a year removed from 999's events where Akane=Zero was kind of a big deal. ZTD was far more of a sequel to VLR than 999 but it still it was strange how much it seemed to distance itself from it.

Yeah, I'm kind of annoyed that neither he nor Delta called her out on that. It seemed like Junpei was super close a few times, but he never quite got there. Maybe he figured Carlos would be way less willing to help if he knew or something.

For that matter, Sigma is in the same boat, though D Team's arc isn't really about that.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Probably around the sixth or seventh dead baby he found in a box somewhere while detectiving he got desensitized to it

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Momomo posted:

For that matter, Sigma is in the same boat, though D Team's arc isn't really about that.

I'm sure Phi rightly blames Akane for VLR, not Sigma.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Somehow I think if Carlos knew Akane was Zero he would still find something to like about her and shift back into the past when he was a babby Carlos and save her from the sudoku incinerator

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

NRVNQSR posted:

I'm sure Phi rightly blames Akane for VLR, not Sigma.

From my understanding that was a combined effort with Sigma doing most of the grunt work. He totally deserves blame for that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
If they were trying not to spoil 999, then that was an extremely odd choice. Akane and Junpei's relationship overall just seemed really weird in this game. I mean, I can buy a cynical Junpei, but the way they explained it was pretty silly when he could just as easily have, I dunno, done the research and found out exactly what Akane did to set up the previous game, and therefore became disillusioned in her or whatever. And they briefly mention how ruthless Akane can be in the Radical-6 ending where she abandons Junpei (seemingly for no reason other than "that's how the future I saw went"), but she spends most of the game being the innocent "power of friendship" lady, which just felt off.

The worst part to me is that I feel like they could have easily reconciled the difference in a single dramatic scene, but they just never bothered to.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I just want a sequel where Carlos uses the transporter to go back in time to kill Hitler, but when he arrives, someone calling himself "Negative One" traps him in a Game together with Hitler, Truman, Mussolini, Tojo, Stalin, Churchill, de Gaulle, and Władysław

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Terper posted:

I just want a sequel where Carlos uses the transporter to go back in time to kill Hitler, but when he arrives, someone calling himself "Negative One" traps him in a Game together with Hitler, Truman, Mussolini, Tojo, Stalin, Churchill, de Gaulle, and Władysław

:allears: This sounds beautiful. Someone better right a bad fanfiction about it.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Nein Nein Nein

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

dyzzy posted:

Nein Nein Nein

You don't understand what joy this brought me.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Momomo posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of annoyed that neither he nor Delta called her out on that. It seemed like Junpei was super close a few times, but he never quite got there.

There were a couple times were Junpei sort of scoffed at Akane's moral righteousness in a way that implied he was referring to the events of 999.

One other thing that bugged me even though it wasn't really an actual problem with the game's plot is that I missed VLR Sigma (young Sigma's mind). He was a cool fun dude (who banged a politician's mistress), while old Sigma is boring as poo poo.

Clarste posted:

and therefore became disillusioned in her or whatever.

This is the angle I was hoping they would take, but instead we got some dumb bullshit about Junpei being jaded because he spent less than a year being a detective. Like, I'm sure you occasionally see hosed up poo poo as a detective, but not to the extent that you stop caring about life and death and become a total rear end in a top hat*. It's not like every single trauma surgeon ends up becoming a nihilistic douchebag.

*And it wasn't all talk, either! He would still be satisfied after killing you or after you went through the deed of killing the other players.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 8, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Like, I'm sure you occasionally see hosed up poo poo as a detective, but not to the extent that you stop caring about life and death and become a total rear end in a top hat*.

Junpei wasn't just a detective, he was a detective following up on the Nonary Game and Free The Soul and poo poo which was apparently a hell of a lot worse than finding lost puppies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Actually yeah isn't Delta technically still the leader of a very large terrorist group apparently dealing in human body parts? loving put him in jail for that poo poo!

• Locked thread