Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Interestingly, although about 1/3 the concerts I''ve attended are hiphop, all the best/worst concerts I've attended fall into that genre:

WORST:
De La Soul is my favorite rap/hip hop/urban group of all time. To me, Stakes is High is the Dark Side of the Moon of rap albums. So when they headlined at my college, touring that album, I was pumped. But, it turns out, fat people get out of breath all the time. So like 40% of their show was "pumping up/rocking the crowd" i.e. "the left side, say yeah... the right side say yeah yeah." Also they remarked on how cool it was that my college had a Wendy's. Fat motherfuckers, drat.

I was willing to dismiss this... but then I saw them 4 years later as the mid-show in a concert featuring Cake and Flaming Lips. I was on shrooms, so maybe I wasn't the best judge of musicianship. But, on the other hand, I was on shrooms, so maybe i was the all-time best judge of musicianship. They did two songs, then called out the Jungle Brothers to do half their set., gently caress, you fat, asthmatic rappers, just pull a beatles and stop touring, dayum.

Still, this was not as bad as the mid-2000s when i saw Kool keith. For those of you unfamiliar with his genius, Kool Keith has spent multiple decades atop the "really creative, but also crazzy as gently caress" performers list. His lyrics include "a fetus in a jar, i've got the little baby, " "i can throw an 800 pound walrus right through the wall, " and "A,B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S... don't test." I expected some Bellvue-level craziness from his live show... But instead he just performed all his hit singles... and that's it. OF all the nights to like finally take his meds it had to be then.

BEST
Solesides all-stars.
Gift of Gab, Blackicious, their entourage, and DJ Shadow. They came out and performed playskool rap-founding "hits" like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JYtpQDcwKw

To do this song they had to plug their ears to not get hosed up by each other. THEN they did a costume change into tuxedos and pllayed the soleside label's other dozen hits or so..

Also, I went to a funk all-stars show, featuring Rick James. Before Getting on-stage, James od'd and had to go to the hospital. They announced that we would all be getting free tickets to see Al Green, and that the ohio players would be doing a two hour set to fill in. The ohio players had no preparation, so they just improv'ed every drat song into twice as long.... You could tell they'd spent decades just doing their songs, and were totally thrilled at this opportunity to shake things up, jazzmatazz-stylee. Just the intro to FIRE was 15 minutes long... Best show i've ever been to.

What are your high/low shows?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Akron Rubber Bowl 1985, Grateful Dead show.
Dylan and Tom Petty showed up to jam with the fat man as UFO's were abducting hippies I swear I seen it

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Champenema posted:

Akron Rubber Bowl 1985, Grateful Dead show.
Dylan and Tom Petty showed up to jam with the fat man as UFO's were abducting hippies I swear I seen it

Whoa :captainpop:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Best show I've ever been to was Prince, all ten of them. Rest in peace.

Worst was probably BB King. They wheeled him out and he didn't know where he was or what he was doing and it was a drat shame these people were making money off of his name and legacy by carting him onstage to embarrass himself. About ten minutes into "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine", probably the first actual song he started playing during the entire show, we just walked out.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Might have just have been due to my point of veiw from the snackbar island

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i don't think any concert i've ever attended was necessarily bad, but one that stands out as "meh" was Motley Crue and Alice Cooper. Cooper was great, but Crue didn't really have the energy that i hoped for. also, after the show, Tommy Lee bashed the venue's crowd for being "absent" even though the crowd atmosphere was really energetic, so i presume he was just trying to be an rear end.

best hands down was Children of Bodom, Suicidal Tendences, and Megadeth. the setlists were amazing, the crowd was great, all the bands were energetic and played ferociously, and the pit was glorious. managed to add a CoB tour t-shirt to my wardrobe and my friend caught one of Suicidal's picks which he has on display in his bedroom.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Best: Scissor Sisters at House of Blues in New Orleans, or Belle and Sebastian at Liberty Hall in Lawrence, KS.

Worst: Friend somehow convinced me to see David Allen Coe at some frat bar in Wichita, KS. They wouldn't even let us out to smoke weed.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Best would be DEVO, X, Meat men, Ramones, Butthole Surfers, and Naked Raygun. And I have a special place in my heart for Gwar, but that's mostly because they're friends of mine. I even played a Nazi Skinhead for them a couple times and beat "Poor OL' Tom" to death with a bowling pin that sprayed blood when you smacked him over the head.

The worst were The Grateful Dead who were so dismal I bailed on the second or third song. I'm not sure exactly since all their songs sound the same. I had a friend drag me to a Motley Cru show by convincing me that a girl who was going along was into me. That changed because she was all offended when I got stoned and fell asleep halfway through their set. Also the time The New Bomb Turks opened for us. I was a big fan of the album they'd just put out and was pumped to see them. The singer was wasted and dove into our bass stack at the edge of the stage, knocked over a box of our CDs, and started tossing them into the crowd until I dragged him off stage. We got most of them back and took the rest out of their cut. Mostly I was disappointed by what an overly apologetic pussy he was about it.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Frankenstyle posted:

And I have a special place in my heart for Gwar, but that's mostly because they're friends of mine. I even played a Nazi Skinhead for them a couple times and beat "Poor OL' Tom" to death with a bowling pin that sprayed blood when you smacked him over the head.
:stare:

jesus christ i envy you

Him
Oct 9, 2015
Best - Depeche Mode back in the late 90's. Jeez that was good.

Worst - Dave Matthews Band. I literally fell asleep. Not for any kind of affect, it simply lulled me into a coma.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I'm a reclusive shut-in and do not typically attend live events. I won tickets to a Village People concert but couldn't make it because some wildfire led to its cancellation. My GF brought me to a Jeff Dunham "concert", it was excruciating TBQH.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

SBTRKT's samples kept skipping during his biggest hit. He and his crew were desperately trying to fix it and restart the song multiple times. At some point the crowd started aggressively singing hey baby by dj otzi and didn't stop even when he started to play again. I was in the front row so could see how frantic he was getting, I'm certain that the soundtrack to sbtrkt's nightmares is now crowds of people chanting "hey baby, I wanna kno-o-o-ow if you'll be my girl".

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Best:
Crowded House, 2010
Todd Rundgren, 2011
Rolling Stones, 2015

Worst:
Aimee Mann, 2003

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
Roger Waters doing the wall was hands down the best stage show Ive ever seen

Kraftwerk was a fantastic show, really memorable visuals

Im not an iron maiden fan but holy poo poo the energy, just a fantastic show

the worst were bob dylan because he barks instead of singing these days, and beyonce and rihanna were both really lazy

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Worst: Some country concert I don't even remember who that the girl I was dating in high school liked, it was at an amusement park and figured it would be worth it to cop a feel at some point during that day.

Best: That's loving tough. I saw ICP at least 10 times, say whatever you want about their music but their concerts were fun as hell. I can't pick a single concert, but the best experiences seem to be at smaller bar venues. There was a bar/club about 40 minutes away from me who got awesome bands all the time, If I had to pick it would be seeing My Morning Jacket there. I could have reached out and grabbed Jim James' leg.

I also got flipped off by Jewel at one of her concerts and got a picture of it, which me taking pictures was why I got flipped off in the first place...afterwards I got kicked out. She didn't recognize me after the concert and still signed my ticket stub.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 11, 2016

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

symbolic posted:

i don't think any concert i've ever attended was necessarily bad, but one that stands out as "meh" was Motley Crue and Alice Cooper. Cooper was great, but Crue didn't really have the energy that i hoped for. also, after the show, Tommy Lee bashed the venue's crowd for being "absent" even though the crowd atmosphere was really energetic, so i presume he was just trying to be an rear end.

best hands down was Children of Bodom, Suicidal Tendences, and Megadeth. the setlists were amazing, the crowd was great, all the bands were energetic and played ferociously, and the pit was glorious. managed to add a CoB tour t-shirt to my wardrobe and my friend caught one of Suicidal's picks which he has on display in his bedroom.

Lehigh Valley goon? Motley Crue at the Fairgrounds and the other three at the Sands? I wanted to go to that one, but wasn't able to.

I saw Motley Crue at the fair years ago and really wasn't impressed with them. They were the main act and only played 70 minutes. I saw Suicidal and Megadeth years ago, and they were both great. I can't pick a favorite as I've seen a lot of shows, but if I had to pick a "worse" it''d be Aerosmith back in the 80's when they were still on drugs and booze. They were visibly wasted to me (basically a kid) and sounded like rear end.

Edit:

Frankenstyle posted:

And I have a special place in my heart for Gwar, but that's mostly because they're friends of mine. I even played a Nazi Skinhead for them a couple times and beat "Poor OL' Tom" to death with a bowling pin that sprayed blood when you smacked him over the head.

Also jealous. I was lucky enough to see them twice a few years ago.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

symbolic posted:

:stare:

jesus christ i envy you

The best time was when Steve Douglas was still Balsac. He and his wife just had a baby, so Hunter made a Baby balsac puppet with tentacles and a trap jaw mouth to celebrate. It was set up with a fake arm so Danielle could look like she was holding it while her real arm was inside working the jaw and triggering the blood spray, and she'd attack the front row crowd with it. Dave had hooked me up with a shitload of acid before the show and Danielle knew I was tripping my brains out, and during the whole song she just kept snapping this nightmare monstrosities jaws on my face spraying blood everywhere and thoroughly freaking me the gently caress out.

Oh yeah. She also skullfucked my head with her spiked thong during her period dance. On acid that is not at all as sexy as it sounds.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Lehigh Valley goon? Motley Crue at the Fairgrounds and the other three at the Sands? I wanted to go to that one, but wasn't able to.
you nailed it, homie. should've gone, it was an amazing show, even if i did miss Havok because of traffic and a long-rear end queue. my friend and i literally walked into the concert area as David gave his closing monologue.

Frankenstyle posted:

The best time was when Steve Douglas was still Balsac. He and his wife just had a baby, so Hunter made a Baby balsac puppet with tentacles and a trap jaw mouth to celebrate. It was set up with a fake arm so Danielle could look like she was holding it while her real arm was inside working the jaw and triggering the blood spray, and she'd attack the front row crowd with it. Dave had hooked me up with a shitload of acid before the show and Danielle knew I was tripping my brains out, and during the whole song she just kept snapping this nightmare monstrosities jaws on my face spraying blood everywhere and thoroughly freaking me the gently caress out.

Oh yeah. She also skullfucked my head with her spiked thong during her period dance. On acid that is not at all as sexy as it sounds.
i honestly don't have a good response to this, besides just: holy gently caress

and i'm still jealous

symbolic fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 11, 2016

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Internaut! posted:

Roger Waters doing the wall was hands down the best stage show Ive ever seen

Oh, yeah. This too

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Internaut! posted:

the worst were bob dylan

Ugh, tell me about it. Dylan is totally destroyed and doesn't even sound like he's singing.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Best: Garbage and the Violent Femmes at Snowball '98
Garbage in 2012.
Social Distortion and Bad Religion in the last year or so

Worst: Bob Dylan every time I've seen him
Tori Amos in 1998 or 1999, so drunk she almost fell off her piano bench.

Edit: I'm going to add Van Morrison to the Best list, but it is somewhat iffy because he co-headlined with Bob Dylan and so was infinitely better simply by way of comparison. Dylan in concert is the closest I have felt to being insulted by a musician. Also, the earlier post about B.B. King surprised me because he was great when I saw him in the late 1990s or early 2000s.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 11, 2016

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Foals seemed to resent their audience even more than is typical for a modern alternative band. The leader singer barely looked at the audience and would stop singing and walk off stage during what should have been the vocal climax of songs. They avoided playing many of their most popular songs in favour not of their recently released third album, but of lesser tracks from their first album. They would start playing a long intro to a song (like prelude to inhaler) but then right when the actual song is meant to kick in and everyone is hyped they would stop and start playing a different song with a gentle intro, completely ruining the energy.

Someone threw a shoe at the lead from Rise Against (during their own show, not a festival). He stopped the song and had the audience drag the guy onto the stage. He was a super-excited kid wearing a Rise Against shirt trying to hug the singer, but the singer shut him down and lectured him on mic, making him remove/stealing his shirt before kicking him back into the crowd. It was cool.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
i saw leo kottke a couple years ago

hold hands at the park
Apr 12, 2008
WORST: Herbie Hancock was playing on the field at a local community college. Me and a friend were pumped to see the show, pounding beers and smoking doobies in the car before-hand. Turned out to be a bunch of grandmas sitting in their folding built-in umbrella chairs sipping white wine. Herbie himself even mentioned how lame the crowd was.

BEST: Opeth at the Hollywood Palladium. The venue was kinda lame and strip-searched everybody upon entry. A beer cost $18, no joke. I was pretty bummed during the opening acts but when opeth appeared all was redeemed. They were on point as a band, and had a cool light show and fog machines. Some nerdy metalhead dude and what appeared to be his mom were standing in front of me and totally rocking out the whole time, it was great to see how much they loved opeth. The show made a very distinct impression on me. I was high on marijuana.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

thylacine posted:

Worst: Friend somehow convinced me to see David Allen Coe at some frat bar in Wichita, KS. They wouldn't even let us out to smoke weed.

did they let him do his "x rated" songs

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The best I ever saw was when a few friend and I went to see Children of Bodom in a tiny club in Pittsburgh. This was during thier 3rd or 4th album, so they were still better than I remember the later stuff being. It was awesome because you got to be so close you could watch how they fret and everything. It's really great if you wanted to learn some of their stuff. They were at a bar next door after and people could just go say hi and meet them and stuff.

Also the opening bands for them were Through the Eyes of the Dead, and God Forbid. I never heard of the first band in my life. They walked right past everyone in line when people were going in, and I seriously thought they were just some douche bags from a local band. I didn't know they were an actual thing until I was telling my guitar teacher about it later on. :shrug: God Forbid was super good live though, despite their recordings not being as good quality wise.

I don't really have a worst. I used to work security for concerts, so I guess any number of country groups I had to listen to where all their mics were not set up properly and all the instrumental work sounded exactly the same and was all drowning itself out constantly.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
I cried at a Prince concert.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
Best was a Mouse on Mars concert in the mid 2000s. They had a live drummer and it was amazing. Second was an Autechre show that was basically one hour long set with the music melding and morphing into each other, it was mesmerizing.

Worst was Four Tet, he was high as a kite and basically played a cd while adding random beeps and boops that didn't fit with the tracks with a glassy glazed over look in his eyes.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Best so far has been a symphony concert of Star Trek music. No joke, mainly because the audio was great. They played a wide variety of stuff, though no Faith of the Heart which would be my one mark against it. If I can't count that then it'd be Blue Man Group which was fantastic and just plain fun to be at.

Worst was when I got dragged to a Lady Gaga show. Some person called Lady Starlight opened and no one at all gave a gently caress. She was trying to hype the crowd and got maybe 20 people out of the entire crowd worked up. She got less applause than Hatsune Miku which was up before her. Then Gaga came out and the audio was absolutely loving terrible. It was just loud as gently caress noise. I left halfway through the second song.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mukulu posted:

I cried at a Prince concert.

Purple rain or little red corvette? :shrug:

stump collector
May 28, 2007
dead prez had a really good show but they showed up an hour late

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk
Best - U2 right after 9/11

Worst - Stone Temple Pilots on their 2008 reunion tour. My friend got free tickets and there was a time where I was very into them but that tour, at least in my city, was terrible. It was clear it was a paycheck.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Tool is the worst band I've ever seen live. High school garage bands do a better job.

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
best was probably pharmakon + haxan cloak in a basement.

there's no way i could remember the worst show ive been to.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

My favorite and best concert had to have been Wolves in the Throne Room playing with Thou opening up for them. They played in downtown Providence, RI in front of a loading dock in between two possibly abandoned industrial buildings.

There was very little light outside of some LEDs on guitars and a couple floodlights. It was a gorgeous cool September night and very surreal.

I was stoned out of my mind and it was absolutely magical.

Second best was watching Nachtmystium open up for Cradle of Filth, for some reason everyone that was there to watch Nachtmystium gathered around me and we all screamed every word and headbanged like crazy. Afterwords, I watched Cradle play and got embarrassed that I ever liked them and walked out.

Worst was seeing God Forbid live, I don't know them at all but the PA kept clipping really loving bad during every single scream. (Probably the venue's fault, but it turned me off to them for good.)

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Best was Primus. They suck and know how to play a fun show.

Worst was Wavves. The only thing I can't complain about is that my ticket was free.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Not best or worst, but Jenny Lewis is so fine in person and I was a few feet away for that one.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
gently caress it.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 11, 2016

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
#humblebrag #ripharris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Worst was probably Dylan, like others have mentioned, or Interpol in the mid-2000s right after Antics. They seemed exhausted and were missing notes -- think they were over-touring and blew up too fast. I saw them play a much smaller crowd after Turn on the Bright Lights which was great, though.

Also some rebooted Sisters of Mercy tour, which for some godforsaken reason ditched the 80s gothic guitars for heavy metal ones. Sounded like garbage.

Best: Re-up U2 after 9/11. In terms of sheer spectacle and professionalism they were no. 1. But my most memorable concerts were small club shows by industrial musicians like Daniel Myer, stuff like that.

• Locked thread