Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Does any information exist yet on what moves are better? Trying to decide if I should be powering up my raticate with hyper fang or the one with hyper beam. Beam's more powerful obviously, but also looks like it can only be charged once in the same time it takes to charge hyper fang three times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Geoff Zahn posted:

What does it say?

Rafza posted:

got a picture? naturally the one time i'd be interested in servers going down my game is running fine

Oh, it's behaving for me now, but it was along the lines of "our servers have been humbled by your interest" and it made me laugh.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Kheldarn posted:

I have an oscillating floor fan in my living room. On a whim, I laid my tablet on the back of it, with the game running. Came back about 5 mins. later, and my 5k egg that was at 0.4 is now at 0.41.

Lazy wins again!

Appears to only be iOS right now. However, if you visit the Google Play page for it from your desktop, it says it was last updated on July 12, 2016, though the version is still listed as 0.29.0, so I'd say it's coming.

The version when it launched was 28.x i think so we may have gotten the update already this morning

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

Pretty successful Pokewalk at lunch today!

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Nice fearow. Saw a lot of gym rats

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

I have an oscillating floor fan in my living room. On a whim, I laid my tablet on the back of it, with the game running. Came back about 5 mins. later, and my 5k egg that was at 0.4 is now at 0.41.

Lazy wins again!

I get incremental mileage improvements just sitting at my desk. I think the tall buildings around me gently caress with the GPS and make it seem as if my character is pacing around in circles occasionally.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Obligatory Toast posted:

I captured a gym twice today and honestly I want to know how the gently caress gym locations are chosen because the one I captured isn't a building - it was a carbide bunker for the town down the road to my house and the other one is a loving lamppost.

Also I heard that the White House is a pokemon gym.

Read the thread, we've gone over this multiple times.

tldr - because Ingress

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Obligatory Toast posted:

I captured a gym twice today and honestly I want to know how the gently caress gym locations are chosen because the one I captured isn't a building - it was a carbide bunker for the town down the road to my house and the other one is a loving lamppost.

Also I heard that the White House is a pokemon gym.

The short version: Ingress (Niantic's previous game) had portals that were icons of human culture. Churches, monuments, community centers, artwork (from graffiti to sculptures to famous paintings), museums, parks, landmarks, etc. were all things your team could capture for the game.

For Pokemon Go, Niantic just transferred their database to the new game to make PokeStops and gyms.

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Kheldarn posted:

Lazy wins again!

It would only take you 1.6 days to hatch that egg that way.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Does anyone know how accurate the tracking is? I walk 5000 steps a day just back and forth across my lab, could it reliably track those short, frequent distances?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

The short version: Ingress (Niantic's previous game) had portals that were icons of human culture. Churches, monuments, community centers, artwork (from graffiti to sculptures to famous paintings), museums, parks, landmarks, etc. were all things your team could capture for the game.

For Pokemon Go, Niantic just transferred their database to the new game to make PokeStops and gyms.

This was very effective for Germany, because even very small towns (like mine, 1200 people) have a cemetary, war memorial, Catholic church, and Protestant church. So it's 4 guaranteed pokestops! Although in mine, the Catholic church is a gym while the Protestant church is only a pokestop.

Also, I don't know why, but there's this one pizza place that almost always has four or five pokemon chilling whenever i run by. I don't know what it is about this particular place, it's not like there's any pokestops near it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Prop Wash posted:

Also, I don't know why, but there's this one pizza place that almost always has four or five pokemon chilling whenever i run by. I don't know what it is about this particular place, it's not like there's any pokestops near it.

High cellular activity. Go visit a department store, same thing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Does anyone know how accurate the tracking is? I walk 5000 steps a day just back and forth across my lab, could it reliably track those short, frequent distances?

I gathered 1.2 kilometers without ever going for a walk further than around the office and to and from the car, so I'm pretty sure it works. It does seem to only be tied to speed to determine if you're in a car, though, so driving at a crawl (20 MPH or less) or using a bicycle while the app is open should get you some kilometers. Keep in mind that the app needs to be open, not running in the background or locked. Turn on battery saver and put your phone in your pocket or cup holder so it doesn't drain.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

why do i have to turn off the loving music every time i open the app? why doesn't the settings SAVE?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

why do i have to turn off the loving music every time i open the app? why doesn't the settings SAVE?

The settings do save, but get reset every time the servers hiccup.

And the servers have a bad case of the hiccups.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Because app settings these days are stored server side and with the servers making GBS threads the bed its hardly surprising.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I want to know these people capable of putting an unlocked phone in their pocket without a billion screenbuttons being pressed as you walk around. Do you have special non-conductive pockets or something?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Bobulus posted:

I want to know these people capable of putting an unlocked phone in their pocket without a billion screenbuttons being pressed as you walk around. Do you have special non-conductive pockets or something?

Screen out, not in.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It seems to be that the game only registers steps if you have the app in use. If you want to wander around with your phone active all day it should be fine, but good bye battery life and hello pocket texts.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Bobulus posted:

Otter cases have a clasp cover that protects the screen.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Enjoying this so far, but the distance tracker is absolute garbage. I walked around last night (phone on, app active) for probably a 1/2 mile and it registered like 4 feet. It's kind of silly that this app can't register as a GPS app and track it in the background, or at least use the built-in motion processor in the iPhone, at the very least.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

chitoryu12 posted:

I mean, I knew the data was based on what was imported from Ingress, I only wondered why some locations were picked as stops over gyms - was it simply a matter of popularity or are there other factors that we know of? Forgive my ignorance, I haven't played Ingress, but I know the gist of it.

Also, since Ingress is still ongoing, has anyone been able to establish new pokemon stops through it? I want to know if its possible to make a new pokestop for my neighborhood.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:lol:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/07/12/holocaust-museum-to-visitors-please-stop-catching-pokemon-here/

Can someone please post the picture with the article? Phone posting

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
My pidgeotto is an adorable tiny baby.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Huh I got to level 14 but I never got the rewards. Also one of my eggs hatched, and I tossed out the bonus onyx, and then later it said hey your egg hatched but crashed because the onyx was already gone.

Also is a no-evolution pokemon just straight up useless? I'm spending 1000 dust to give this 140 onyx... 13 cp. This is pretty loving miserable. I have 50 more candy for him but it's expensive and just spit balling the math it's going to cap out at 300 cp. What the gently caress? Any random evolved pidgey can beat that.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Senerio posted:

He must be a great flyer.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Obligatory Toast posted:

I only wondered why some locations were picked as stops over gyms - was it simply a matter of popularity or are there other factors that we know of? Forgive my ignorance, I haven't played Ingress, but I know the gist of it.
If I had to wager a guess it's probably random with the emphasis being put on PStops numbers over Gyms.

Obligatory Toast posted:

Also, since Ingress is still ongoing, has anyone been able to establish new pokemon stops through it? I want to know if its possible to make a new pokestop for my neighborhood.
No. Niantic stopped accepting portal submissions quite some time ago. The only changes to portal population since then has been branding. eg They signed a deal with Circle K and made all major CK's portals and customers were given access to codes that gave them gear.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Bobulus posted:

Screen outward. I don't think most cloth is conductive, but your skin can conduct through it. I also have a case with a bit of a lip around the screen so that might also help.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Senerio posted:

I can beat that.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Seems legit.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I saw my first level 5 gym today, it is the one right next to my work that Instinct has held on to because of the 1hp bug. Come on devs, get your poo poo together before they start getting cocky

I live in a high density burb with tons of kids and 30-year old tech nerds and only one pokegym. It's held by blue who (in 3 days) got it to level 7 with 30,000 gym points and the top defender is lvl 20 with a 1200 cp Vaporeon in charge. The 6 other defenders are all 800+.

My daughter just got level 5 and picked blue cause its her favorite color, which is lucky, I guess. But it's a shame that in just a couple days the spergs have basically melted the system, there's no way anyone else can compete. Oh well, she's just happy she found an Eevee.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Krinkle posted:

Huh I got to level 14 but I never got the rewards. Also one of my eggs hatched, and I tossed out the bonus onyx, and then later it said hey your egg hatched but crashed because the onyx was already gone.

Also is a no-evolution pokemon just straight up useless? I'm spending 1000 dust to give this 140 onyx... 13 cp. This is pretty loving miserable. I have 50 more candy for him but it's expensive and just spit balling the math it's going to cap out at 300 cp. What the gently caress? Any random evolved pidgey can beat that.

Onyx will eventually evolve in Steelix (assuming they add more gens)!

Steelix sucks too though. :v:

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Seriously upset in the simplified combat system. Is it just my nostalgia?

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Maker Of Shoes posted:

If I had to wager a guess it's probably random with the emphasis being put on PStops numbers over Gyms.

No. Niantic stopped accepting portal submissions quite some time ago. The only changes to portal population since then has been branding. eg They signed a deal with Circle K and made all major CK's portals and customers were given access to codes that gave them gear.

I mean, it's for the best in the long run because everyone benefits from stops over gyms. I still can't get over the fact that the listed gyms in my town are a carbide storage unit, a lamp, a church that was once a pizza hut, and then an actual pizza hut.

Also, that sucks. :smith: I hope they reconsider opening submissions for new stops once things get settled with the servers and stability improves. It's nice going down to the local cemetery to gravehop and pokestop, but sometimes I want a stop a little closer.

Though I really don't have a reason to complain, it's less than two city blocks from my house.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Chewbot posted:

I live in a high density burb with tons of kids and 30-year old tech nerds and only one pokegym. It's held by blue who (in 3 days) got it to level 7 with 30,000 gym points and the top defender is lvl 20 with a 1200 cp Vaporeon in charge. The 6 other defenders are all 800+.

My daughter just got level 5 and picked blue cause its her favorite color, which is lucky, I guess. But it's a shame that in just a couple days the spergs have basically melted the system, there's no way anyone else can compete. Oh well, she's just happy she found an Eevee.

It does seem like you could get together a group of same-team friends with just-ok pokemon and grind a gym down that way. I've mostly only trained in friendly gyms so far though so I might be misunderstanding how it works.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Anyone can conquer a gym. Is mantaining very long with oposition that is hard.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Tei posted:

Anyone can conquer a gym. Is mantaining very long with oposition that is hard.

And its the exact same meta in Ingress. Offense is WAY more effective than defense.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The good news, Chewbot, is that once you hit lv20, leveling majorly slows down. So in a few weeks, anyone playing even moderately will catch up, and everyone will be on mostly equal footing. Other than the wailords, but that's every mobile game.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

So close, yet so far.

Another yellow in this area! There might be dozens of us. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Chewbot posted:

It's not as bad as it seems. If you figure out the combat system you can take on foes much stronger than yourself by dodging. If you make sure to set your lineup according to super effective types then you can squeeze out another big advantage there. Most of all, you can attack gyms with multiple people at the same time.

It's really easy to get the advantage and take gyms, but takes much more effort to raise them up.

• Locked thread