Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, I spent 15 minutes on it before I couldn't breathe and either way didn't matter. I looked down and half the time I was going one way, the other half the other.

It's so weird having the muscle memory of ollies and when you do it and the board doesn't come up with you. I got it back though.

This is going to take some time. At least I can skate full speed without any issues now, took a few minutes to get that weirdness out of my system.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gXpZmQ7j70

Wackiest thing since the last Gou Miyagi vid and absolutely worth the 3 million views it's got since it went up.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

:aaaaa: I want to see him and Miyagi hang out.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Intel&Sebastian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gXpZmQ7j70

Wackiest thing since the last Gou Miyagi vid and absolutely worth the 3 million views it's got since it went up.

How the gently caress is this dude sliding across poo poo in his shoes? rear end loads of wax?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I've heard mentions of really fine sand too. He did an interview where he sorta pokes fun at all of it and the super serious dudes who decry his antics and I think my favorite bit is

quote:

I don't alter spots in any way because I think that goes against the true essence of skateboarding: I won't skate a picnic table unless it's bolted down, I won't move any obstacle so I can have my way with it—that's fundamentally wrong. You cannot alter your environment in any way shape or form, and if you do you're a huge kook.

while I watch him ride the big yellow thing down a spiral staircase

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

big black turnout posted:

How the gently caress is this dude sliding across poo poo in his shoes? rear end loads of wax?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJrCjATOxZ8

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
New FESN vid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I02YRy1COU

naig
Jan 25, 2006

"crawl, walk, and then run"
Just saw the new GX1000 video. Got an instant urge to go out for crusty unskated street spots. Highly recommended.

https://www.facebook.com/kingpinmag/videos/vb.146943441986021/1297664183580602

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'd never heard of William Spencer until today, but I like his style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFoGHeMxuzA

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

XIII posted:

I'd never heard of William Spencer until today, but I like his style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFoGHeMxuzA

the 'documentary' style of that video was annoying but there were some cool AF tricks hidden away in there

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Happy go skateboard day, thread :3:

Did anyone else forget because they sit at a desk for a living? :sigh:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yah

maybe I'll ollie something in our parking lot

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

Happy go skateboard day, thread :3:

Did anyone else forget because they sit at a desk for a living? :sigh:

No. I think about it nonstop.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
imo the videogame console of the future should be discretely installed in your brain-puter, that way you can play Skate with a mind-controlled 2 inch tall holo-ccination guy who does smith grinds all over your desk equipment but only you can see him.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'm working, then staying home watching my daughter. The Wife is on a awesome vacation with some of her family. Go Skate day indeed. :negative:

Edit: the Adidas video is pretty sweet. I was totally not interested in it until I saw it. Good stuff. I had never really paid attention to Rodrigo TX but his part is probably my favorite and I don't even really care too much about that fancy flippy ledge skating.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 21, 2016

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
No, the Adidas video is Away Days, Pretty Sweet is the Girl/Chocolate video
:downsrim:

I bought my first board in years and years this weekend and have done several ollies. My knees and now my hip are killing me. I am 30 and in pain.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
heres a cool new vid with a lot of cool people in it, and its vx1000 so you can feel cool for watching it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2uBmcCQsIs&hd=1

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
The "gently caress Supreme" guy has been making the rounds haha: http://www.thefader.com/2016/06/24/the-ape-gently caress-supreme-guy

https://twitter.com/Spaceejamm/status/745058133031133185?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnvPt_a7iOQ

It was 17 years after Tony Hawk's first 900 yesterday. His age is starting to show, but he took some of those falls like a champ and filmed what could be his final 900 at 48.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I'm getting ready to move to an area with some great parks and after probably 15 years of not really skating, I'm hoping this'll give me some motivation to get back into it. I've always sucked at street related poo poo, but coming from a surfing background, I love pools/bowls. Anyone have some recommendations for a good pool/bowl build? I just have no idea what's good these days in terms of manufacturers.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Scarf posted:

I'm getting ready to move to an area with some great parks and after probably 15 years of not really skating, I'm hoping this'll give me some motivation to get back into it. I've always sucked at street related poo poo, but coming from a surfing background, I love pools/bowls. Anyone have some recommendations for a good pool/bowl build? I just have no idea what's good these days in terms of manufacturers.

Find a local skateshop and go there to buy stuff (not a place at the mall). I'd recommend getting a deck that's at least 8 inches wide, I prefer 8.5 inches. Get some Independent trucks that match the deck size, the nuts on the end of the trucks should line up fairly close the edge of the board give or take. Some Bones SPF (Skate Park Formula) Wheels, 54mm or bigger. MOB grip tape...or whatever they have at the shop. You probably don't need risers but they might be worth thinking about if you were used to riding them.

If prefer shaped boards you might check one of those out instead of the usual popsicle shape.

Personally I like ACE Trucks, they are similar to Independents but a local shop might not carry them though they could probably order them. ACEs = like Indy's but more turny/carvy IMO.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Find a local skateshop and go there to buy stuff (not a place at the mall). I'd recommend getting a deck that's at least 8 inches wide, I prefer 8.5 inches. Get some Independent trucks that match the deck size, the nuts on the end of the trucks should line up fairly close the edge of the board give or take. Some Bones SPF (Skate Park Formula) Wheels, 54mm or bigger. MOB grip tape...or whatever they have at the shop. You probably don't need risers but they might be worth thinking about if you were used to riding them.

If prefer shaped boards you might check one of those out instead of the usual popsicle shape.

Personally I like ACE Trucks, they are similar to Independents but a local shop might not carry them though they could probably order them. ACEs = like Indy's but more turny/carvy IMO.

I was actually thinking closer to 9-9.5 to be honest, and definitely shaped. Whether people think they're dumb or not, just looking around at what's available online, I love all the reissues being put out of boards from when I was a kid... Hell yeah I want to be rocking a Mike McGill deck!

Thanks for the advice, I know one of the surf shops here has a decent selection of skate stuff, I'll have to check it out.

I also have a set of Randal 180mm 42º longboard trucks sitting around, but I'd imagine those probably wouldn't do me much good.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Scarf posted:

I was actually thinking closer to 9-9.5 to be honest, and definitely shaped. Whether people think they're dumb or not, just looking around at what's available online, I love all the reissues being put out of boards from when I was a kid... Hell yeah I want to be rocking a Mike McGill deck!

Thanks for the advice, I know one of the surf shops here has a decent selection of skate stuff, I'll have to check it out.

I also have a set of Randal 180mm 42º longboard trucks sitting around, but I'd imagine those probably wouldn't do me much good.

The shapes are making a come back with the youngsteres but FYI a reissue McGill deck will have much less concave and a smaller nose than a newer shaped decks from what I've seen. I'm riding my first shaped deck in a long time and would prefer it if the nose was a touch bigger.

I wouldn't try to use those longboard trucks.

I'd see what the surf shop has and take it from there, figure out what deck you want and build around that. You'll probably have to special order trucks wide enough for a 9 or 9.5 deck.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

The shapes are making a come back with the youngsteres but FYI a reissue McGill deck will have much less concave and a smaller nose than a newer shaped decks from what I've seen. I'm riding my first shaped deck in a long time and would prefer it if the nose was a touch bigger.

I wouldn't try to use those longboard trucks.

I'd see what the surf shop has and take it from there, figure out what deck you want and build around that. You'll probably have to special order trucks wide enough for a 9 or 9.5 deck.

Word, thanks!

Also, just to provide a little content, I've had a good time watching all of Jeff Grosso's "Love Letters to Skateboarding" on Vans' youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEfn8qMSGQa8Yisy4mNhNa2VGnoUDCnEL

Grosso is kind of a lovable (or not) rear end in a top hat and it's funny to listen to a guy get salty about poo poo.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 30, 2016

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I put a big crack in my board while I was practicing ollieing. I thought this would be easier now that I'm older. :smith:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Actually the local shop had exactly what I wanted, so I went ahead and picked it up.

9 inch square(ish) tail fun shape.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
http://www.vogue.com/tag/misc/skateboarding/ jesus chirst

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

It's like the 70s all over again, but they don't get a pass because they should loving know better.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
There can't really be 22 whole steps to looking like Spicoli from fast times wtf

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Skating is mainstream, yeah.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

now all I need are some bright green slide rails.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Scarf posted:

now all I need are some bright green slide rails.

It's like high school all over again!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Lumpy posted:

It's like high school all over again!

That depends on if I walk around the mall carrying it.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Scarf posted:

That depends on if I walk around the mall carrying it.

I wish I had saved all my notebooks from back then... page after page of Gator rotating square thing pattern, all the Powell Peralta decks & rat logo.... plus the occasional note!

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
where the gently caress are your stickers my dude

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
This is the only sticker it needs:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Guys

Hey

Uh

Guyyyyys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nZZaWobR-c

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Gonna go ahead and double post to draw all eyes to the NEW GODDAMN RODNEY MULLIN VIDEO and mention that the music is by George Harrisons son and the filming is done in some sort of igloo rigged with a ton of cameras kind of matrix style.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
And there's also a rolling stone interview where he talks about fixig his own hip joint fusion by crawling into his cars wheel well until he snapped something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The "round and round we go" filming style annoyed me. I just want to watch RM do a bunch of insanely technical tricks.