Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Futurama too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

kcroy posted:

100 pages in, got our first gay rape! Bakker does not disappoint!
yeah I got an advance reader copy, didn't want to talk about it in that thread yet but I definitely thought "wild cards" to myself when I got there

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

kcroy posted:

100 pages in, got our first gay rape! Bakker does not disappoint!

Whoa whoa whoa man spoiler that, I haven't gotten to the gay rapes yet

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

TommyGun85 posted:

Jon being named King in the North is a very different scenario that Cersei being Queen of Westeros or the Sand Snakes ruking Dorne, both of which are absurd and nonsensical.

Cersei declaring herself Queen is one thing. Anyone else agreeing outside of those within her reach to murder is another.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

yeah I got an advance reader copy, didn't want to talk about it in that thread yet but I definitely thought "wild cards" to myself when I got there

stayed up all night reading the gently caress out of it. pretty good stuff. Do you know if the entire series is supposed to be wrapped up after this next book? Or just the end of a trilogy. Another 500 pages doesn't seem enough to do it justice.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

kcroy posted:

stayed up all night reading the gently caress out of it. pretty good stuff. Do you know if the entire series is supposed to be wrapped up after this next book? Or just the end of a trilogy. Another 500 pages doesn't seem enough to do it justice.

AFAIK one more book in this quadrology + final trilogy to come.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

mcustic posted:

So someone who's never read Bakker should start with the prince of nothing trilogy?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is Prince of Nothing good? My buddy was explaining it to me the other night and it sounded like an even worse Kingkiller Chronicles in that the main character is just the bestest ever.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

VegasShirtGuy posted:

So someone who's never read Bakker should start with the prince of nothing trilogy?

Yes and it's very good.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is Prince of Nothing good? My buddy was explaining it to me the other night and it sounded like an even worse Kingkiller Chronicles in that the main character is just the bestest ever.

Your buddy might have misunderstood who the main character is. There is a good at everything character, but he is not main character.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's kind of missing the point - there is a guy who is good at everything but he's not really the main character or necessarily a protagonist. He's more of a rhetorical device than anything else. I really like the books - bakker is really good at writing about war, and making a world seem mysterious and old and dark.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Eh, we were drunk. Maybe I was just focusing on that character and assumed he was the main. I just got some gift card from Amazon for being a part of some class action suit so I guess I'll just use that and pick up the first book to check it out.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
He's also the best at everything as a result of a four(?) thousand year old ruthless eugenic project to create a race of philosopher ubermensch, so it's not like he's an rear end in a top hat. He's beyond that.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

mcustic posted:

:eng101: tetralogy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah he said the final "trilogy" would be "2 or maybe 3" books. I'm a little worried about him getting it published given the difficulty with this one, but hopefully these two will sell well enough.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

My bad. drat those Alien movies.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Mujaji posted:

This guy has nominated HIMSELF for Hugo awards three years in a row came last or close to last and calls himself a "Five-time Hugo Award nominee"

Really? That's loving hilarious. I'm tempted to buy one of his books to show my respect for his chutzpah.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yeah he said the final "trilogy" would be "2 or maybe 3" books. I'm a little worried about him getting it published given the difficulty with this one, but hopefully these two will sell well enough.

Was that the issue? I thought his publishers just dropped the ball for some reason ( changing editors, etc ).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Really? That's loving hilarious. I'm tempted to buy one of his books to show my respect for his chutzpah.

He lost to 'No Award' last year.

The Hugo voters disliked his work enough that they'd rather not give out the award for the year than vote for it.

Edit: actually, Vox Day lost out to No Award in multiple categories!

Best Editor, Short Form -AND- Best Editor, Long Form

His publishing company, Castalia House, had eleven other works on the ballot as well. None of them won, and most of them lost out to No Award. Two authors, an editor, ad a fanzine nominated on his slate withdrew their own nominations in order to not be associated with him.

He is, so far, the sole and only person ever expelled from the Science Fiction Writers of America due to his sheer unpleasantness, open misogyny, and blatant racism towards other members.

In short, gently caress that guy.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 14, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Liquid Communism posted:

He lost to 'No Award' last year.

The Hugo voters disliked his work enough that they'd rather not give out the award for the year than vote for it.

Edit: actually, Vox Day lost out to No Award in multiple categories!

Best Editor, Short Form -AND- Best Editor, Long Form

His publishing company, Castalia House, had eleven other works on the ballot as well. None of them won, and most of them lost out to No Award. Two authors, an editor, ad a fanzine nominated on his slate withdrew their own nominations in order to not be associated with him.

He is, so far, the sole and only person ever expelled from the Science Fiction Writers of America due to his sheer unpleasantness, open misogyny, and blatant racism towards other members.

In short, gently caress that guy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vox_Day

quote:

Vox Day grew up in Minnesota, the son of entrepreneur and jailed tax protester Robert Beale.[1] He claims to be of English, Irish, Mexican, and Native American descent.[2] He graduated from Bucknell University in 1990,[3] where he studied economics, history and Japanese language. Day first began to write short stories while he was in college.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
better question, why isn't Game of Bones nominated?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
We didn't have enough people in the thread willing to buy a membership.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I am compelled to write a science fantasy novel called No Award

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
How is there a human being named "Vox Day" I would have thought that would be a really lame holiday celebrating a lovely website

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mike N Eich posted:

How is there a human being named "Vox Day" I would have thought that would be a really lame holiday celebrating a lovely website

"Vox" is Latin for "voice". you can fill in the blanks from there on why a self-important shithead would choose it for a name.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
fun followup to that, in classical pronunciation you'd pronounce that "wokes".

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Something something open your eyes something wake up sheeple I'm the one speaking the truth here you can't silence me etc.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

fun followup to that, in classical pronunciation you'd pronounce that "wokes".

All those Space Marines speaking the Emperor's Gothic are doing it wrong

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Where's my phonebook novel you bastard

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Game of Thrones: Fuckers of Arizonaros

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Game of Thrones: Fuckers of Arizonaros

I don't get..

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Hot drat Preston's back to 1000 worlds book club. Skimped on the guest star this time but okay. Says tuf is the only time he's ever ended a series, so probably someone's going to make a terrible choice taking agency away from everyone in westeros but stopping them from annihilation. I don't get how that'd work.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I started watching prestons videos. This guy has an amazing talent for talking sense and then immediately throwing something insane in the followup.
"The question is: how did Dany survive the flames? I believe she is telekinetic"

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I started watching prestons videos. This guy has an amazing talent for talking sense and then immediately throwing something insane in the followup.
"The question is: how did Dany survive the flames? I believe she is telekinetic"

he has mastered the art of having people who "hate" him and think hes an "idiot" consistently watch his videos. Dude is doing something right.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

"But why would Littlefinger be trying to create marriage pacts between all Seven Kingdoms? Simple. He's an android sent from the galactic council who are returning to recolonize Planetos."

TommyGun85 posted:

he has mastered the art of having people who "hate" him and think hes an "idiot" consistently watch his videos. Dude is doing something right.
Can confirm, he kept me watching for the longest time :v: it's almost entertaining waiting for the crazy moment to drop. Sensible, sensible, sensible, BATSHIT.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Preston is great.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like it when he makes these series of videos that get increasingly batshit. Like three exhaustively sourced and detailed video about Westerosi hair and beard fashion and then in the fourth video he starts talking about how this connects to some sci-fi story GRRM wrote 30 years ago and in the fifth video he reveals how all the major events are planned by barbers who are secretly working for the iron bank which is in turn using coins with implanted microchips to monitor the movements of earthlings for their alien merling overlords. Or something along those lines.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Preston's best video will always be the one about the time he met GRRM and wanted to talk about his nerdery, but GRRM just wanted to talk about food.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So what you guys are saying is that Preston is the Ron Paul of GRRM reviewers, 5 minute rule and all?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

My favorite preston thing he ever said was:
When you look at the results of his actions, everything that Bronn says and does pushes Tyrion into acting in line with varys's overarching plot.
Therefore, Bronn is an agent of Varys. (interesting, tell me more? When was he turned? What was he offered? Preston ignores these questions and plows onward)
Bronn only entered Tyrion's company because of a chance meeting of Bronn, Tyrion, and Catelynn at the inn.
Catelynn only went into the inn because it was raining, to get out of the rain.
There is no such thing as coincidence, therefore, someone can literally control the weather and make it rain to bring characters together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I got the impression that inn was a major waypoint on the kings road. Seems like a good place to wait.