Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a cooldown on friend summoning? My brother got me into this and he's got a super badass 5* Terra, but I summoned him once and now he doesn't show up on my list anymore. Neither does the one goon I friended from here with the Kuja.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herux
Dec 1, 2013

Trilin posted:

Does INT really drop Holy Crystals? I know INT is better for Sacred Crystals, but those are different items.

Absolutely does!

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Fenrir posted:

Is there a cooldown on friend summoning? My brother got me into this and he's got a super badass 5* Terra, but I summoned him once and now he doesn't show up on my list anymore. Neither does the one goon I friended from here with the Kuja.

I believe it's 24 hours to stop one friend from carrying you all day every day

I would guess this friendship event will end when the cactaur event goes live tomorrow
That's strictly a guess but I'm glad how long it has lasted

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I believe it's 24 hours to stop one friend from carrying you all day every day

I would guess this friendship event will end when the cactaur event goes live tomorrow
That's strictly a guess but I'm glad how long it has lasted

Hm, I have like 75 summons I should probably burn.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
The esper leveling curve is ridiculous. Spamming Westersands to get Ifrit up is killing me.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well, I caved and used my ticket.

Bedile

:suicide:

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Fenrir posted:

It's something like 3 hours, definitely not 24

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Garfu posted:

Yeah definitely way less than 24, I've seen 4hrs tossed around reddit.

Anyone who does TM grinding will notice that they won't completely run out of friends to use unless they're spending a lot of lapis to refresh.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

m.hache posted:

Well, I caved and used my ticket.

Bedile

:suicide:

and the crowd goes wild.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Decided to say gently caress it and used my 500 lapis on one last pull and finally pulled a Kefka. Probably pulled him just in time too because a new banner was datamined today:

No dates listed, but it'll probably be pretty soon.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

yeah well that's just like your opinion, man
Thankfully there's really nothing that list that's very tempting to pull. I can go on happily saving until the FFT event.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I really should bookmark the tier list.

Surprised it's not in the OP

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

m.hache posted:

I really should bookmark the tier list.

Surprised it's not in the OP

RAFZA! :argh:

Wait... wrong game...

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Kronikle posted:

Thankfully there's really nothing that list that's very tempting to pull. I can go on happily saving until the FFT event.

I'll probably pull at least once or twice, just for amusement's sake. None of them are supposedly all that good compared to the current banner, but at least if I get Locke, I might be able to kiss my sacred crystals woes goodbye...

(It's gotten a little better. Just six more to go before I'm done.)

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I need 3 before cactaur event begins and I can have an all 5 star team
Accept Edgar. loving Edgar can't be 5 star yet but his blind and poison is so useful :/
Vaan, Leo and fina should hit 5 star tomorrow. Gotta figure out who I have that can replace Edgar AND can have those skills

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

you can get a recipe for bio blaster in grandport, it's relatively easy to get the mats for too. you can make the blind spell also.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
So I tried the Devil Chimera.

And died horribly, if slowly. And then the game crashed, because this game apparently is held together with hopes and prayers.

When I rebooted it the game gave me a "you won" screen with 0 rewards...and then crashed again.

Rebooted again, was back in the Farplane by the monument, went back in for a second go against the Devil Chimera, only for it to not be present and for me to just get the Force Armor.

:psyduck:

Guess Chizuru can afford losing 8 points of attack for this.

EDIT: Speaking of, should I distribute the Cactuar Dunes exp evenly, or should I just dump it all on Chizuru until she caps for Barrage?

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 14, 2016

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

baram. posted:

you can get a recipe for bio blaster in grandport, it's relatively easy to get the mats for too. you can make the blind spell also.

Yeah I got bio blaster but his blind can hit a whole group.
I'm thinking of adding kefka next to my group though
Leo is targeted more then other people, skill at 5 star, so exdeath and kefka can more freely rain holy hell on everyone

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Yeah I got bio blaster but his blind can hit a whole group.
I'm thinking of adding kefka next to my group though
Leo is targeted more then other people, skill at 5 star, so exdeath and kefka can more freely rain holy hell on everyone

ooh my bad. you can get sunbeam as a TMR from one of the free pull chars, carrie.

another FP char, montana, has camouflage which decreases chance of getting attacked, that might be slightly useful for mages/healers at some point.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I might roll for Locke just so I can get his TM weapon for my CoD.

Shishells
May 25, 2012

Is it even realistic to farm TM without a script? I just checked, and my most-used unit (Bartz) has 2.2% on his TM since I started playing, which was about 10 days ago. That's roughly 445 more days of playing at this rate before he gets 100% TM, which is not ever going to happen.

What's with these trust moogle things I hear about? I'm guessing they'll be rare and hard (or costly) to obtain.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

the Orb of Zot posted:

So I tried the Devil Chimera.

And died horribly, if slowly. And then the game crashed, because this game apparently is held together with hopes and prayers.

When I rebooted it the game gave me a "you won" screen with 0 rewards...and then crashed again.

Rebooted again, was back in the Farplane by the monument, went back in for a second go against the Devil Chimera, only for it to not be present and for me to just get the Force Armor.

I guess I was wrong, the bug that lets you bypass farplane fights hasn't been fixed after all.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

I guess I was wrong, the bug that lets you bypass farplane fights hasn't been fixed after all.

The Chimera wasn't that tough anyway.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Herux posted:

Absolutely does!

Good to know, but man I must have absolutely atrocious luck then.
If Sacred Crystals are about 1 in every 6 runs, Holy Crystals are nonexistent for me even over dozens of runs.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Trilin posted:

If Sacred Crystals are about 1 in every 6 runs, Holy Crystals are nonexistent for me even over dozens of runs.

I get tons of holy crystals from advanced, but sacred crystals should definitely be farmed on intermediate.

You can get both from either, but the rates are definitely skewed one way or the other.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Shifood posted:

Is it even realistic to farm TM without a script? I just checked, and my most-used unit (Bartz) has 2.2% on his TM since I started playing, which was about 10 days ago. That's roughly 445 more days of playing at this rate before he gets 100% TM, which is not ever going to happen.

What's with these trust moogle things I hear about? I'm guessing they'll be rare and hard (or costly) to obtain.

Even with a script, it's balls. You pretty much have to run nothing but earth shrine for an entire month to max it out, unless you buy stamina refreshes with lapis. I'm probably going to take a break from it once the friend point event is over and tackle some other things for a while.

Trilin posted:

I feel your pain dude. For me, I actually have more than enough holy crystals, so when I see a crystal drop in the vortex, I'm like "yes, finally!", Then I find out it's a holy and not a sacred, and I'm like "oh."

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Another dumb question: How far can I get without a healer? I'm rolling right now with Rain/Lass/Edgar/Kefka (leader)/Golbez. Can I just lean on summon help until I get Fina? I was told she's one of the best healers in the game, especially this early on.

Also, I rolled a bunch of Golbez on my initial pile of 10 tickets. I combined him with himself like 4 times and his trust is nearly 30% now.

e: Also, who should I toss when I DO get Fina? Golbez only has Fira and Bio so it's kinda tempting to bench him.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 15, 2016

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Fenrir posted:

Another dumb question: How far can I get without a healer? I'm rolling right now with Rain/Lass/Edgar/Kefka (leader)/Golbez. Can I just lean on summon help until I get Fina? I was told she's one of the best healers in the game, especially this early on.

Also, I rolled a bunch of Golbez on my initial pile of 10 tickets. I combined him with himself like 4 times and his trust is nearly 30% now.

e: Also, who should I toss when I DO get Fina? Golbez only has Fira and Bio so it's kinda tempting to bench him.

You can probably beat the first island completely with that team, especially if you save your super goon-friends for the boss fights.

I'd probably bench Edgar since Golbez and Kefka are both better than him and his best contribution (Bio Blaster) can be created and put on Golbez anyway once you get to the 2nd island.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Alright, that works. Hell, I'm already on the second island. I beat the Phantom Forest, but that next part looks pretty nasty.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Ratmtattat posted:

Decided to say gently caress it and used my 500 lapis on one last pull and finally pulled a Kefka. Probably pulled him just in time too because a new banner was datamined today:

No dates listed, but it'll probably be pretty soon.

gently caress. I still haven't gotten a Chizuru, I guess I'll be blowing out every Lapis I get on this current promotion and crossing my fingers.

e: supposing that doesn't happen, should I use all these cactuars I got in friend summons on Kefka? He's by far my best guy right now. I've got like 4 and one of them is really huge and worth a whole lot of XP.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 15, 2016

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Fenrir posted:

should I use all these cactuars I got in friend summons on Kefka? He's by far my best guy right now. I've got like 4 and one of them is really huge and worth a whole lot of XP.

don't sweat who you use them on, you're gonna be swimming in them with the cactuar daily.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

yeah well that's just like your opinion, man
God drat I saw someone else complaining about how infrequently Mystic Ore was dropping from Grandshelt Castle - Second Floor. I needed about 15 and had all day to get them and because I got 3 on my very first run I figured it'd be easy. I'm sadly at 12 runs in a row now without a single Mystic Ore dropping. Really hope I can get all of these items before the cactuar event.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Took down the White Dragon first try with CoD x2, Edgar, Cyan, and Fina. He worked with me by using his fire spells repeatedly which CoD resists. She's really, really good.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Trilin posted:

One thing I've noticed is that Sacred/Holy Crystals are always "second drops" from a monster. The chest pops up, a normal evolution item pops out, then sometimes one of the crystals pops out. I have absolutely nothing but anecdotal evidence to support this, but I feel like getting that second drop is more common when you Overkill a monster. If you're just (for example) having Exdeath use Firaga once per stage, you won't ever overkill, and will thus have a lower chance to get Sacred/Holy Crystals. Meanwhile, I have a primarily physical team who can kill each monster except the tombstones quickly and easily with any two characters, so I get overkills on everything. I almost always get at least 1 of each crystal each run, and frequently get 2-3 Sacred Crystals.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Apparently you can solo the Demon Chimera with just a lone max level Exdeath. You just want a high level Shiva esper for the ice resist and stats, good magic def equipment, and preferably some MP/HP abilities. Your main source of damage and heal will be Drain and the boss shouldn't be able to outdamage your healing. When you run low on MP you toss some Ethers.

ZephYr_
Feb 10, 2004
My current team is Kefka/COD/Garland/Fina/Terra. I have a Chizuru waiting in the wings - should I replace Fina with her since Terra can heal or do a straight swap with Garland?

Also, any tips on where I can beat farm Farplane Dews? I'm swimming in crystals but the Dews have been hard to come by.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I just did a pleasant romp through the chamber of experience, how does this look so far?

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Kronikle posted:

God drat I saw someone else complaining about how infrequently Mystic Ore was dropping from Grandshelt Castle - Second Floor. I needed about 15 and had all day to get them and because I got 3 on my very first run I figured it'd be easy. I'm sadly at 12 runs in a row now without a single Mystic Ore dropping. Really hope I can get all of these items before the cactuar event.

Farm mystics in Awakening INT imo, they don't drop as often but you'll be acquiring sacred/holy crystals that you'll need anyways.

I just did an Arena match and uh.... I can only assume my Vortex drops glitched and got displayed for my Arena drops because...

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Samba De Amigo posted:

Farm mystics in Awakening INT imo, they don't drop as often but you'll be acquiring sacred/holy crystals that you'll need anyways.

I just did an Arena match and uh.... I can only assume my Vortex drops glitched and got displayed for my Arena drops because...

Yeah that's pretty common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Trilin posted:

Does INT really drop Holy Crystals? I know INT is better for Sacred Crystals, but those are different items.

It does. I've done ADV maybe twice and I've been able to get both Lasswell and Golbez to 5* via INT.

Garfu posted:

Yes.

Shark Tower posted:

Even with a script, it's balls. You pretty much have to run nothing but earth shrine for an entire month to max it out, unless you buy stamina refreshes with lapis. I'm probably going to take a break from it once the friend point event is over and tackle some other things for a while.

TM farming is balls, period. The only reason to knock it out in a month is completionism, and I just broke myself of the cheevo habit last year, I'm not getting sucked into that again. Without the TMs, I'm doing pretty well in this game, I'm quite pleased!

Zurai posted:

One thing I've noticed is that Sacred/Holy Crystals are always "second drops" from a monster. The chest pops up, a normal evolution item pops out, then sometimes one of the crystals pops out. I have absolutely nothing but anecdotal evidence to support this, but I feel like getting that second drop is more common when you Overkill a monster. If you're just (for example) having Exdeath use Firaga once per stage, you won't ever overkill, and will thus have a lower chance to get Sacred/Holy Crystals. Meanwhile, I have a primarily physical team who can kill each monster except the tombstones quickly and easily with any two characters, so I get overkills on everything. I almost always get at least 1 of each crystal each run, and frequently get 2-3 Sacred Crystals.

I think you're right. I just ran the INT awakening dungeon, using -ara and -aga spells (Lasswell, Rain, Vivi, Terra, Golbez) and I got two Sacred and a Holy two runs in a row. Someone else needs to try this strategy!

• Locked thread