Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Mortimer posted:

Caligold Palico (A cat)

Sunsnug Palico (A cat)

Potion x 20

Mega Potion x 10

Honey x 30

Lifepowder x 10

Voucher x 10

Baby Journal x 12 (Used to craft the baby tigrex palico armor)

Lagniapple x 10

5000 Zenny

5000 Wycademy Points (Caravan Points equivalent)

Titles: Sunsnug, Felyne, Furriend, Palico

Background: Meowster Baby

WELP, GOTTA FIND MY SD CARD NOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You can just start mh4u up once as well

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Rascyc posted:

You can just start mh4u up once as well

yeah this, regardless of whether you just made a single character or got GR 999 its the same rewards

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I registered my MH4U data and now can't find where to get the items. Any help? :saddowns:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Mortimer posted:

yeah this, regardless of whether you just made a single character or got GR 999 its the same rewards

Oh, okay then. :effort: for finding the other card then.

O-Oh, I need to update 4U. And my system.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mr E posted:

I registered my MH4U data and now can't find where to get the items. Any help? :saddowns:

I think you have to talk to your butler at your house, or something? I haven't actually booted up the game yet lol. Workposting~

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Your Computer posted:

Yes, and there are so many of them :smithicide:

e: by the way, can someone give me a step by step guide on unlocking the MH4U bonus stuff? I accidentally skipped over some dialogue and have no idea what the NPC told me I had to do.

Talk to your house cat, choose downloadable content, then redeem bonus or redeem something. That's for the 99x honey and more bundle. There's another bundle (starter pack) in the actual DLC section, I forgot how I got that, but I'm pretty sure it was either automatic or I stumbled upon it easily enough.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I've never really done ranged before, but I played tri, 3U, and 4 extensively. Would I have a good time starting off doing a ranged weapon and if so what's the most fun for someone new to the whole thing?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Farg posted:

I've never really done ranged before, but I played tri, 3U, and 4 extensively. Would I have a good time starting off doing a ranged weapon and if so what's the most fun for someone new to the whole thing?

Bow is a good candidate because it has infinite ammo, but I'm quite partial to Heavy Bow Gun, which is a semi-automatic rifle with a special stationary rapidfire mode.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

It's too soon to tell, I know, but Type 19 Voice. Just Type 19 Voice.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So how the hell do you get online in this bitch? Is there a quest requirement to play online?

edit: I'm retarded.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

enojy posted:

Talk to your house cat, choose downloadable content, then redeem bonus or redeem something. That's for the 99x honey and more bundle. There's another bundle (starter pack) in the actual DLC section, I forgot how I got that, but I'm pretty sure it was either automatic or I stumbled upon it easily enough.

There is an option for the mh4u stuff under new game

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
I am going to let this game download while I am out getting absolutely loving plastered.

4 AM drunk hunting, here I come :getin:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mr Confetti posted:

I am going to let this game download while I am out getting absolutely loving plastered.

4 AM drunk hunting, here I come :getin:

Enjoy the first 20 gathering quests really drunk!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Do any of the Prowler's attacks do mounting damage? They jump for a lot of them but I'm not sure if that's just aesthetics or if it actually counts as an aerial hit.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What chargen stuff are you not able to go back and change? Because this Type 13 Male face is really hard to pass up in the moment.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Adept Long Sword -- is there a more effective way to follow up after triggering the perfect evasion? It wasn't so bad against the Nargacuga in the demo, but smaller/faster monsters are ending up too far away after I evade. Do the I-frames allow me to roll with the monster, in the direction of the attack? Or, is there some way to extend the amount of time you get to follow up? It only lasts like 1.5 seconds.

I wish I could keep rolling directly into/through the attack and have enough time to double back, it's so fuckin' anime. I also have to break the habit of holding the circle pad in one direction afterwards; it doesn't behave after I refocus the camera, I just run off in some random (wrong) direction instead of towards the monster.

enojy fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 15, 2016

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

C-Euro posted:

What chargen stuff are you not able to go back and change? Because this Type 13 Male face is really hard to pass up in the moment.
Voice is one, not sure about face though.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ciaphas posted:

Guess I should at least try SnS Striker then because I wasn't all that impressed with Aerial or Adept on it, really

I want to at least try Adept Lance before I pooh pooh the new third hit, perfect parrying sounds totally like my jam from all the DMC-like games I've played

Keep in mind that you don't JUST lose the new third hit in Striker Lance. If that was all you lost I probably wouldn't be giving the new third hit a chance. You also lose any options off the charge attack besides the ending thrust (even if that does get its damage hella buffed to compensate). Mostly the loss of the jump attack really stings for me, as I've always enjoyed being able to do mounts without needing ledges nearby. I guess with aerial style being a thing it loses some of its luster but I still sorely miss it when trying Striker style.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Ok switch axe is making me feel like a dummy. I've been using it since it was introduced into the series; What the hell is going on with the mid-combo switches with the R button in Generations? It straight up is not transforming mid-combo with R anymore, nor can I do poo poo like the big sweeping finisher after a bunch of horizontal axe blows or whatever else. It literally just feels like my R button is broken except it's not. What stupid simple thing am I missing that's changed?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Infinity Gaia posted:

Keep in mind that you don't JUST lose the new third hit in Striker Lance. If that was all you lost I probably wouldn't be giving the new third hit a chance. You also lose any options off the charge attack besides the ending thrust (even if that does get its damage hella buffed to compensate). Mostly the loss of the jump attack really stings for me, as I've always enjoyed being able to do mounts without needing ledges nearby. I guess with aerial style being a thing it loses some of its luster but I still sorely miss it when trying Striker style.

The 3rd thrust does 15+15+15 right? And the whole combo hits 5 times for elemental/status effects right? Thinking about going adept lancer because alot of the striker stuffs seems end game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

enojy posted:

Adept Long Sword -- is there a more effective way to follow up after triggering the perfect evasion?

Even if you dodge right into the attack (and the enemy charges past you) you can still hold the stick backwards and start running in the opposite direction from where you dodged. That's the only way I've found to make it work, and you'll be doing your spirit slash blindly since your camera is the wrong way :negative:

Also a problem: Enemies who move again faster than the final attack (gauge level up) animation. I only got the hit off once on Bulldrome because he would charge again while I was doing my anime pose, and then the attack would whiff.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Ok switch axe is making me feel like a dummy. I've been using it since it was introduced into the series; What the hell is going on with the mid-combo switches with the R button in Generations? It straight up is not transforming mid-combo with R anymore, nor can I do poo poo like the big sweeping finisher after a bunch of horizontal axe blows or whatever else. It literally just feels like my R button is broken except it's not. What stupid simple thing am I missing that's changed?

You lose out on some moves depending on which style you pick.

Striker loses the axe chop finisher and the double chops with A in Sword mode.
Aerial loses the thrusting axe move that you could use to morph, which you can now do from the upwards strike. It also moves the elemental burst to an aerial attack.
Adept gets the same upwards strike morph attack as Aerial but loses the axe chop finisher (it's an adept evade move now) and the second X attack in sword mode (the vertical hit) .

Your Computer posted:

Even if you dodge right into the attack (and the enemy charges past you) you can still hold the stick backwards and start running in the opposite direction from where you dodged. That's the only way I've found to make it work, and you'll be doing your spirit slash blindly since your camera is the wrong way :negative:

Also a problem: Enemies who move again faster than the final attack (gauge level up) animation. I only got the hit off once on Bulldrome because he would charge again while I was doing my anime pose, and then the attack would whiff.

One thing that I found out that helped me a lot with aiming my post-evade stuff is to immediately hit L after an evade to center the camera on the monster and holding forwards.
Doing so will always make you run directly towards the monster. I kinda moved away from doing this *all* the time, but hey maybe this helps!

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Captain Flame Guy posted:

You lose out on some moves depending on which style you pick.

Striker loses the axe chop finisher and the double chops with A in Sword mode.
Aerial loses the thrusting axe move that you could use to morph, which you can now do from the upwards strike. It also moves the elemental burst to an aerial attack.
Adept gets the same upwards strike morph attack as Aerial but loses the axe chop finisher (it's an adept evade move now) and the second X attack in sword mode (the vertical hit) .

Yep, that was all it was thanks. I jumped in without researching a single thing so I was wondering what the downside was to the styles that had more slots. Didn't realize they altered your baseline moveset too. Switching to guild style makes it feel right.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What's a good quick combo that progresses into red shield charging on guild style charge blade? I forget and can never go above yellow.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Turns out you can break stuff on Gypceros while it's playing possum!

I just smashed its crest while it was doing this, after which I could kick it for the finishing blow. :black101:
The quest rewards somehow gave me three Gypceros heads.

Monster Hunter is the best game :3:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Barrel cat being back is so good.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Calaveron posted:

What's a good quick combo that progresses into red shield charging on guild style charge blade? I forget and can never go above yellow.

Do the shield charge while in Axe mode. If you're going Adept style, Adept guarding then pressing X does a shield charge to red.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
How do you unlock the higher leveled hunter arts?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Countblanc posted:

https://gamy.jp/monsterhunter-x/mhx-kariwaza-jouken

this link's in japanese but.... 6* and 7* quests?

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Countblanc posted:

They're tied to the completion of certain quests.

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MHGen:_Hunter_Arts
This page seems to list most if not all of them, however the quest titles are still all in Japanese so you'd have to cross-reference them with Kiranico's quest pages.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Wafflz posted:

Barrel cat being back is so good.

perpetual game of the current geological period

e: holy poo poo online HR1 is 4 pages

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 16, 2016

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Ignimbrite posted:

perpetual game of the current geological period

e: holy poo poo online HR1 is 4 pages

Caravan HR3 is, for me, six pages. With probably more to unlock.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Wow, I had a gathering palico steal three parts off one monster. The best I ever saw a thief do in 4U was one part. :psyduck:

Oh man, and meowster hunter gives actual monster parts this time around too! Shouldn't have a problem getting some early evade skills for aerial gunning now.

Minera fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 16, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Can I import my MH4U character, or do i have to try to painstakingly recreate it from scratch

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Sprite141 posted:

What kind of poo poo should I look for in a palico?

Some streamer was talking about how he was resetting his game for 8 hours just trying to get a specific palico. I don't remember the specifics and I'm not going down that rabbit hole, but I'm curious to know what benefits you could possibly have by getting the perfect palico or whatever.

I'm sure it's obviously not necessary, but I remember in Tri I think you had charm seeds or whatever and people were trying to manipulate the game so they had certain charms available to them and this kind of reminds me of that situation.

Edit: Speaking of, all these streamers saying they are doing a 24 hour stream is amusing. The guy I was watching earlier already dropped after 12 hours.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 16, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

katkillad2 posted:

Some streamer was talking about how he was resetting his game for 8 hours just trying to get a specific palico. I don't remember the specifics and I'm not going down that rabbit hole, but I'm curious to know what benefits you could possibly have by getting the perfect palico or whatever.

I'm sure it's obviously not necessary, but I remember in Tri I think you had charm seeds or whatever and people were trying to manipulate the game so they had certain charms available to them and this kind of reminds me of that situation.

I have no clue what the 'optimal' one is but I'm pretty much loving playing a lovely bomber cat in a Tigrex mascot suit, I find it hard to believe any of them are just straight up busted.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

HenryEx posted:

Can I import my MH4U character, or do i have to try to painstakingly recreate it from scratch

The latter but having MH4U save data on the system will give you a bunch of items that'll help when you're starting out (honey, potions, etc)

Also

:siren: There is a DLC starter item pack, everyone go to the DLC menu and grab everything there, it's free :siren:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Great OP, OP. I went balls in for Generations, buying the N3DS and the game. I'm still learning the game but hopefully within a week I'll be able to join an SA team and be slightly less of a bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you want to be Maximum Cat you want an Assist-type with either Big Boomerang, Piercing Boomerang, or both (you want both eventually and can inherit a single skill from another cat), I think.

• Locked thread