Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You lucked out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I liked Inquisition, though I never bothered to play the DLC because too many other things came out since then.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The best bioware party member is your dog in origins

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lakbay posted:

The best bioware party member is your dog in origins

don't forget your dog in da2

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mokinokaro posted:

I was actually talking about Krem. People raised a big stink about Krem because being a dick to the trans character was one of the biggest influence losses in the game with your party members.

There was no approval loss thing around Krem. There was one dialogue option with Iron Bull where he would chastise you if you kept pressing that Krem was really a girl, an option which the player could bypass and would never come up again.

e: I guess if you really hated trans characters in video games you can later get Krem killed in Iron Bull's story mission.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've generally liked every BW game I've played except Mass Effect 1 and DA Inquisition. Inquisition's problem is I hate the gameplay with a passion and it forces you to do a lot of it. KOTOR was pretty weak too but I think that mainly me going in with sky high expectations. But it's why I want to play Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, so I can finally complete their library and say which one I liked best.

If anything beats Mass Effect 2, I will be very surprised.

Not gonna play that Sonic game, though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

NikkolasKing posted:

I've generally liked every BW game I've played except Mass Effect 1 and DA Inquisition. Inquisition's problem is I hate the gameplay with a passion and it forces you to do a lot of it. KOTOR was pretty weak too but I think that mainly me going in with sky high expectations. But it's why I want to play Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, so I can finally complete their library and say which one I liked best.

If anything beats Mass Effect 2, I will be very surprised.

Not gonna play that Sonic game, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq9ZamBxjS4

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

corn in the bible posted:

don't forget your dog in da2

Has there ever been a bad dog party member in any video game?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Electric Phantasm posted:

FO3 Dogmeat had a bad habit of walking into things that gib him unless you gave him the essential tag.

I still wish Secret of Evermore had a two player mode so that one person could just walk around sniffing all day.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

kirbysuperstar posted:

FO3 Dogmeat had a bad habit of walking into things that gib him unless you gave him the essential tag.

I still wish Secret of Evermore had a two player mode so that one person could just walk around sniffing all day.

Oh yeah forgot about him, cause I would mod him to be good. Come to think of it he was also bad in the original Fallout.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

kirbysuperstar posted:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/24/

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Well I know what I'm doing today.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

kirbysuperstar posted:

He's just following in Fallout 1 Dogmeat's footsteps. A lot of Fallout 3 is cargo-cult, really.

NikkolasKing posted:

except Mass Effect 1

fight me irl

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Oh yeah forgot about him, cause I would mod him to be good. Come to think of it he was also bad in the original Fallout.

Still better than Fallout 2's Pariah Dog, which was useless in combat, ruined your Luck stat and massively increased your critical failure chance just by being in your party, could only be removed from the party by killing it and was obnoxiously hard to kill.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
otoh, fallout 2 had two robot dogs

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well I know what I'm doing today.

Don't forget the rebalance patch.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I played about an hour of the Sonic RPG and the dialog choices were all variations of "fuuuuck you, I'm Sonic" so I kind of want to go back just to be an rear end in a top hat.

I'm pretty sure the secret to enjoying a WRPG is to be the biggest douche on the planet. You're missing out if you don't renegade Mass Effect or pick every wise rear end option in Alpha Protocol where you can goad a stone faced professional into flipping out and attacking you or tease a specter ops spook about how much you enjoyed murdering his mute punk waifu.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

al-azad posted:

I played about an hour of the Sonic RPG and the dialog choices were all variations of "fuuuuck you, I'm Sonic" so I kind of want to go back just to be an rear end in a top hat.

I'm pretty sure the secret to enjoying a WRPG is to be the biggest douche on the planet. You're missing out if you don't renegade Mass Effect or pick every wise rear end option in Alpha Protocol where you can goad a stone faced professional into flipping out and attacking you or tease a specter ops spook about how much you enjoyed murdering his mute punk waifu.

I actually get really bored with that because it reveals the flaws in the game's systems to me. I can buy that my party members hang around when I'm a capable person who is generally nice and maybe sometimes punches a Krogan in the face. When they get furious at me for literally murdering babies and then go right back to the same dialogue it really just kinda makes me go "... eh, whatever."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

Renegade in Mass Effect isn't all that great. It's fun in the first game, but as the sequels wear on it starts turning counterproductive and even self-destructive rather than brute-forcing your way to the same conclusion.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

I actually get really bored with that because it reveals the flaws in the game's systems to me. I can buy that my party members hang around when I'm a capable person who is generally nice and maybe sometimes punches a Krogan in the face. When they get furious at me for literally murdering babies and then go right back to the same dialogue it really just kinda makes me go "... eh, whatever."

I thought Alpha Protocol was one of the few games where allies would leave/betray you if you pissed them off enough, though? Or am I thinking of something else?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Verranicus posted:

I thought Alpha Protocol was one of the few games where allies would leave/betray you if you pissed them off enough, though? Or am I thinking of something else?

Alpha Protocol is a good one for it actually though it isn't perfect. At least you actually get bonuses for pissing people off instead. I was mostly thinking of the other ones.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I think Binary Domain also had a mechanic where characters you treated badly turned on you.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Verranicus posted:

I think Binary Domain also had a mechanic where characters you treated badly turned on you.

Nah. Just Big Bo.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

There's Cosmic Star Heroine.

I hoped for something more than a retro-looking pseudo-SNES game, but what the hell, at least it looks nice. I'll look it up to see if it involves travelling around in space ships before I decide against it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Libluini posted:

It's kind of funny how Japanese players have the exact same complaints over the series we have. :allears:

By the way, since Star Ocean is less a SF-RPG series and more like a running joke, are there any SF-JRPGs coming in the near future? Or is Masseffect: Andromeda basically it in both east and west?

We've got Deus Ex coming up in August, Horizon Zero Dawn in February, and Cyberpunk 2077 in... probably 2077 at this point. All of those are western and only RPG-ish though.

ImpAtom posted:

The first Mass Effect was uniquely cool in this way because your Paragon/Renegade was score totally disassociated from your speech checks. So if you wanted, you could play Shepard as a noble hero who said all the right things in polite company while actually being a total psychotic rear end in a top hat who murdered people for no reason. In later games they just combined your dialogue choices with your morality score so you kind of missed out on that possibility.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 17, 2016

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

The first Mass Effect was uniquely cool in this way because your Paragon/Renegade was score totally disassociated from your speech checks. So if you wanted, you could play Shepard as a noble hero who said all the right things in polite company while actually being a total psychotic rear end in a top hat who murdered people for no reason. In later games they just combined your dialogue choices with your morality score so you kind of missed out on that possibility.

Well, kind of.

In 1, your Charm and Intimidate skills were what determined if you could make the speech checks, but your Paragon and Renegade scores put a limit on how high you could raise Charm and Intimidate, and choosing generally Paragon or generally Renegade dialog options was how you increased the scores.

In 2, they just used the Paragon and Renegade scores directly to determine if you could make the speech check, and the difficulty of the checks was based on the number of times you could have picked a Paragon or Renegade dialog option, so you had to be consistent if you wanted to be able to continue making speech checks. This was pretty much the worst version of the system.

In 3, they got rid of Paragon and Renegade scores altogether, and instead just had a Reputation score that determined whether you could meet speech checks. Any time you picked a Paragon or Renegade dialog option it increased your Reputation, so it was rare that you'd ever be unable to make the check.

In all three of them, you could always pick either the Paragon or Renegade decision if it was not in dialog. It's only speech checks that were limited. I'm not sure any of them had a really satisfactory compromise.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The one in Fallout 4 seems to have a really bad habit of blocking things off. Also he seems buggier than the other companions.

Cait never turned invisible or started flying out of reach so I couldn't heal her at least.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Bongo Bill posted:

Well, kind of.

In 1, your Charm and Intimidate skills were what determined if you could make the speech checks, but your Paragon and Renegade scores put a limit on how high you could raise Charm and Intimidate, and choosing generally Paragon or generally Renegade dialog options was how you increased the scores.

In 2, they just used the Paragon and Renegade scores directly to determine if you could make the speech check, and the difficulty of the checks was based on the number of times you could have picked a Paragon or Renegade dialog option, so you had to be consistent if you wanted to be able to continue making speech checks. This was pretty much the worst version of the system.

In 3, they got rid of Paragon and Renegade scores altogether, and instead just had a Reputation score that determined whether you could meet speech checks. Any time you picked a Paragon or Renegade dialog option it increased your Reputation, so it was rare that you'd ever be unable to make the check.

In all three of them, you could always pick either the Paragon or Renegade decision if it was not in dialog. It's only speech checks that were limited. I'm not sure any of them had a really satisfactory compromise.

One had the best option. Straight down the middle, neither Paragon or Renegade. You'[d gently caress up so many things from hostage negotiations to de-escalating a cult encounter and lots of people would die, but you'd still come out looking uncompromising and professional, just a little bit sad.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 17, 2016

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Thuryl posted:

Still better than Fallout 2's Pariah Dog, which was useless in combat, ruined your Luck stat and massively increased your critical failure chance just by being in your party, could only be removed from the party by killing it and was obnoxiously hard to kill.

By having a high charisma, exploiting a few bugs, and not patching Fallout 2, you could have two pariah dogs, Dogmeat, and two robot dogs in your party at once. Cry havoc!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mask of the betrayer was really good for evil runs because of your 5 party members:

1 was ordered by their mom to follow you and was pretty neutral anyway so they wouldn't take offense to much, and even the stuff that did bug them they wouldn't leave over, they'd just get mad at you. there's a lategame decision involving her mom where she would leave, tho.

1 was kind of a petty dick, and if you were an evil pc you'd inspire him to go from 'petty dick' to outright cruel and if you were a good pc you'd inspire him to be better. he'd leave if you were too much of a jerk to him, specifically, not based on whether you were good or evil.

1 was a pure noble type that was also super naive and so you could make evil choices and then talk her into staying with a speech about the greater good or whatever.

1 was a bear nature spirit and 1 was an evil ghost, and they were mutually exclusive, so you'd obviously generally take one on good runs and the other on evil runs. and if you wound up with the evil spirit as a good PC, you could talk to your other party members for ideas on how to banish it, and actually get rid of it.

mask of the betrayer is the best wrpg

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
can you kiss any of them

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yeah but it evaporated my awesome adamantine weapon that i spent so much time perfecting with star rubies and diamonds and casting Light and Milf's Acid Arrow on it and poo poo, and putting on all kinds of class and alignment restriction curses so i could pack even more positive effects into it

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Verranicus posted:

This was something I really liked about Dragon Age: Origins. Some choices made your party members just instantly want to stab you to death. It was great.
Jade Empire's final choice too had this, although it's a bit forced because you literally can't get everyone on your side. Thee will always be a few who betray you if you pick Closed Fist. That's dumb, especially if you turn both Dawn Star and Silk Fox to Closed Fist and keep romancing them both.

I think I heard Planescape Torment has some of this, too. Don't tell, me, though!! I'm playing it for the first time now. The Mortuary took me way too long but I'm totally not used to this kind of game. Apparently I screwed myself by having low WIS. It didn't sound important according to the description. I went for high INT and CHR.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

This was something I really liked about Dragon Age: Origins. Some choices made your party members just instantly want to stab you to death. It was great.

It's worth desecrating Andraste's Ashes in Origins just to see the hoops they go through bringing Leliana back to life in Inquisition and her extreme saltiness toward the Hero of Ferelden.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

It's worth desecrating Andraste's Ashes in Origins just to see the hoops they go through bringing Leliana back to life in Inquisition and her extreme saltiness toward the Hero of Ferelden.

Until you play one of the dlcs that heavily implies she's an impostor if you killed her in Origins which just makes it even funnier

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I saw the story run this weekend about the Hindu community asking for an Overwatch skin to be changed which got me thinking about a similar news story earlier in the year about SMT4's use of Hindu figures. Obviously this has gone on for years so I'm desensitized to it completely at this point.

What got me thinking though is why haven't there been people who got upset about a games use of religion in story analogs and getting things completely wrong. Like VP1's use of Norse is all backwards and wrong iirc, and isn't Xenogears really inaccurate about its use of religious characters too?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

VP is explained because very few people care about the portrayals of Norse religion, because it's rarely practiced.

Xenogears is explained because it's seen as gauche for Christians to complain about questionable portrayals.

Neither of these apply to Hinduism.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Because people beyond the niche play overwatch and thus care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't know if i'd call xenogears "inaccurate" as much as i'd call it, well, xenogears