Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
These articles are a start, but the information is basically the same as the stuff they were saying in the 2012 primary and probably also said multiple times in smaller articles during this primary.

Nate Silver posted:

Data-driven forecasts aren’t just about looking at the polls. Instead, they’re about applying the empirical method and demanding evidence for one’s conclusions. The historical evidence suggested that early primary polls weren’t particularly reliable — they’d failed to identify the winners in 2004, 2008 and 2012 — and that other measurable factors, such as endorsements, were more predictive.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-i-acted-like-a-pundit-and-screwed-up-on-donald-trump/

Harry Enten posted:

Why did I ignore these polls? Early polls, even a month before a primary election, haven’t been very predictive. The candidates typically have varying levels of name recognition; most voters don’t make up their mind until right before they cast a ballot. We all remember President Howard Dean, right? Yet, there were plenty of other candidates who led in the polling throughout and won, such as George W. Bush in 2000. I still think it was right to be highly skeptical of the polls in the summer and fall of 2015. But as Trump maintained and even expanded his lead into 2016, I should have been quicker to give them more weight than I gave to the lack of a precedent for Trump. (I did do this eventually; it just took too long.)

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-four-things-i-learned-from-the-donald-trump-primary/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Pakled posted:

I don't think I've seen Trump get above 43% in a national poll.

Somehow there are still a lot of undecided voters (~15-20%). This is completely inexplicable, how can anyone be undecided about Trump at this point?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Nocturtle posted:

Somehow there are still a lot of undecided voters (~15-20%). This is completely inexplicable, how can anyone be undecided about Trump at this point?

Most of those people aren't going to vote :ssh:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nocturtle posted:

People lie to themselves and want to pretend they're still making up their mind and thus in power. Consider the partisan who hasn't decided if Clinton/Trump has proven their worth. They're not going to vote against their own party but they might say they are undecided in a poll.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Spiritus Nox posted:

So if Donald keeps quadrupling-down on the white power vote, I should be happy, because I still see no reason to think he does above 5% in any broad demographic that isn't white, and I still see no reason to believe you can win on whites alone.

But I am still goddamn terrified.
If turnout and voting patterns remain the same as 2012 for blacks and college-educated whites, and if the Democrats get 95% of the non-black minority vote at 2012 levels of turnout, then Trump needs 80% of the non-college-educated white vote (at 2012 turnout) to win. Romney got 62% of this demographic.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kilroy posted:

If turnout and voting patterns remain the same as 2012 for blacks and college-educated whites, and if the Democrats get 95% of the non-black minority vote at 2012 levels of turnout, then Trump needs 80% of the non-college-educated white vote (at 2012 turnout) to win. Romney got 62% of this demographic.

...If you were trying to make me feel better it didn't work, because I wouldn't be stunned to see Donald Trump get 80% of non-college whites. :smith:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Fojar38 posted:

The GOP has been trying to destroy Hillary for years, and the best that they have gotten payoff-wise was that FBI director calling her careless when he said he wouldn't indict within spitting distance of the RNC. This is the low point of her campaign people, and Trump can't even tie her in the polls.

What gets me is if they would have just pushed him harder about how careless Hillary really was and gotten more quotables from him, and not tried to shame him and insult him by saying he should have indicted her and put her in jail they probably would have come out ahead.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Yeah that post was not meant to be encouraging.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

DemeaninDemon posted:

Has Trump even gone above 45% or whatever nationally?

The funniest thing about the constant arzying over polls is that Trump's numbers haven't really gone up or down, the only changes in the race are Hillary's number fluctuating. I think this election is going to be an interesting test of what the exact floor of support for a Republican candidate is in the 21st century.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Nocturtle posted:

you can not like trump and also not like the other choices given in the poll, friend

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I was gonna post a link to the article about the George Harrison estate saying that the use of Here Comes the Sun at the RNC was shameful and against the wishes of the estate, or about Paul Rodgers' tweet about All Right Now not being allowed to be used by Trump either, but then I realized that it would probably just be quicker to make a list of artists who would allow their songs to be used, because I can't imagine Mick, Keith or Elton will be too terribly happy when they wake up either.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Spiritus Nox posted:

...If you were trying to make me feel better it didn't work, because I wouldn't be stunned to see Donald Trump get 80% of non-college whites. :smith:

That's pretty drat insulting to Caucasians without a degree. You wouldn't be surprised if 80% of them were wackadoodle racists?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

TheBizzness posted:

That's pretty drat insulting to Caucasians without a degree. You wouldn't be surprised if 80% of them were wackadoodle racists?
You don't have to be a wackadoodle racist to vote for Trump, you just have to not pay enough attention to what he says, or think racism is a thing of the past now anyway, or just basically be totally insulated from the reality of being a minority in the US, which definitely describes at least 80% of white people.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

TheBizzness posted:

I'd be surprised and sick, but not stunned. Chose my words carefully there.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

UV_Catastrophe posted:

It is immensely frustrating how the two party system psychologically short-circuits so many people. We are now facing down Donald loving Trump as president, and people don't want to get off their couch to vote for Clinton.

The time to push for your 100% ideal candidate was about six months ago in the primary. If your ideal candidate didn't win, you at least have the opportunity to vote for a candidate who at least partially matches your ideology in the general election. This is how the system works. This will not change unless first-past-the-post voting is eliminated, because strategic voting will always be the best electoral strategy.

Long ago and far away, but:

yoink: A phrase appearing often in "The Simpsons" televison program used to verbally indicate one has taken something from another and fled.

"Hey, great science project, Lisa. Yoink!"

[Note: this definition has also been "yoinked".

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If Bernie had grown docile in the recent weeks, he's definitely got his blood all angried up after Trump tried to use him and his platform as a bludgeon.

There's already ads/mailers going out for downticket Democrats promising to deliver on Bernie's message. If he delivers a fiery condemnation of Trump and the GOP at the DNC it's going to be fantaaaaaaastic for ramming through progressive reforms in the coming decades

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Is that 80% of the percent of that demo that turns out or is that 80% of the total number of people in that demo which means if their turnout is 80% then Trump needs 100% of the ones that turn out?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
How much of Hillary's campaign spending thus far has gone to ad buys post convention?

Also, we know that Trump hasnt expanded much on his campaign efforts since his cash on hand numbers and June fundraising numbers indicate that as of July 1st he hadn't worked on infrastructure. Hilldawg on the other hand is actively investing to the tune of ~20+ million for two consecutive months and maintaing a war chest double that of Trumps. All with the DNCC yet to happen. Plus she gained access to OFAs massive database this past month.

Basically, she has a lot of assets that arent being currently figured.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

ErIog posted:

Is that 80% of the percent of that demo that turns out or is that 80% of the total number of people in that demo which means if their turnout is 80% then Trump needs 100% of the ones that turn out?
80% at 2012 turnout.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-swing-the-election/

By the way 80% is a little optimistic. It's closer to 75%.

Leave college-educated whites and the black vote alone, move hispanic/latino and asian/other to 95% Dem keeping the turnout the same. Then move non-college white to the right until the election flips to the GOP. This should occur at 76%.

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 22, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Its because he really doesn't need to buy ads because he can just get the news media to cover what he's doing whenever he wants. Also, though he isn't running a campaign office and ground crew because it costs millions of dollars and he hasn't taken in really poo poo for donations.

I can't imagine what the debates are going to be.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Boon posted:

How much of Hillary's campaign spending thus far has gone to ad buys post convention?

Also, we know that Trump hasnt expanded much on his campaign efforts since his cash on hand numbers and June fundraising numbers indicate that as of July 1st he hadn't worked on infrastructure. Hilldawg on the other hand is actively investing to the tune of ~20+ million for two consecutive months and maintaing a war chest double that of Trumps. All with the DNCC yet to happen. Plus she gained access to OFAs massive database this past month.

Basically, she has a lot of assets that arent being currently figured.

This is going to be the election where we *really* see exactly how much a GOTV effort matters.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Hollismason posted:

The debates are going to be amazing and frustrating. Amazing because hearing Hillary tear into Trump, who can't hope to go toe-to-toe with her on the issues, is going to be immensely satisfying, but frustrating because he's going to say some stupid platitudes that will get treated by the media as being equal counter-points to Hillary's well thought-out positions.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Pakled posted:

The debates are going to be amazing and frustrating. Amazing because hearing Hillary tear into Trump, who can't hope to go toe-to-toe with her on the issues, is going to be immensely satisfying, but frustrating because he's going to say some stupid platitudes that will get treated by the media as being equal counter-points to Hillary's well thought-out positions.
Without the applause he thrives on, Trump will gasp and flail like a fish out of water.

He is hosed.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Pakled posted:

Also the bar will be set so low for Trump that basically it'll be a draw provided he doesn't call her a oval office to her face on national TV. Maybe the following debates will be a little more even in terms of expectations, but expect the first debate to be a wash, at best.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Night10194 posted:

This is going to be the election where we *really* see exactly how much a GOTV effort matters.

If Trump is serious about wasting his already weak warchest in Cali and NY this is going to be the most glorious poo poo-stomping.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Kilroy posted:

Also the bar will be set so low for Trump that basically it'll be a draw provided he doesn't call her a oval office to her face on national TV. Maybe the following debates will be a little more even in terms of expectations, but expect the first debate to be a wash, at best.

Yeah he's pretty much operating under Sarah Palin rules.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hillary will probably have spent 5 months making sure she knew every way to defeat anything even remotely close to a gish gallop.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Also it's nice that Hillary has a lot of money, but some other candidate whose Name! I can't recall spent a lot of money recently only to see his career utterly destroyed.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Kilroy posted:

I also worry he might vomit forth a torrent of self-contradictory Schroedinger's bullshit so bewilderingly stupid there's no way for Hillary to argue against it.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

Its because he really doesn't need to buy ads because he can just get the news media to cover what he's doing whenever he wants. Also, though he isn't running a campaign office and ground crew because it costs millions of dollars and he hasn't taken in really poo poo for donations.

The point of the ad buy question (I havent seen any and dont have a feel for the current schedule on US channels and especially battleground states) that Hillary big weakness is not that her opponent is a likeable guy, but that she's seen as his level of unlikeable. When her ad blitz begins I would expect it to focus on her rather than him and to find her favorables and her poll numbers to shift accordingly (so long as the conventional idea holds). Either way, even a small bump by November and locking in her base should be enough.

So the question I really have, is when is that ad blitz supposed to start? August? September?

Kilroy posted:

Also it's nice that Hillary has a lot of money, but some other candidate whose Name! I can't recall spent a lot of money recently only to see his career utterly destroyed.

While that's true, I think it's fair to state that money is a key enabler and not the mechanism of winning. Turns out if your candidate can't handle and adapt to a populist force, all the money in the world can't save you. I don't think Hillary has shown herself to be openly dunked on by the GOP, much less Trump.

Boon fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 22, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Kilroy posted:

Hillary is nowhere near as incompetent as Jeb!.

Jeb! let that dude insult his wife and then high fived him later that same night. At least Cruz had the balls to say gently caress that dude, don't insult my goddamn wife. And then Eviscerate him on a public stage in primetime.

If Hillary has low charisma and natural charm, Jeb! has negative. Also Jeb! couldn't attack him from the left like Hillary can.

aellisr
Oct 11, 2007

Alveolar fibrosis don't give a damn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl7yv7BNHsk

"I Believe in a God that calls us not to judge our neighbors, but to love them."

"I want to change the tone of Washington, to one of civility and respect."

"We will give low income Americans tax credits to purchase health insurance they need and deserve."

"Racial progress has been steady, but it's still too slow."

It's admittedly cherry picking for middle-ground, sane, talking points, but this platform squeezed out the narrowest margin for a presidency in a really long time. In my wildest dreams, I never imagined I would say, "Let me go back and watch George Bush's convention speech for an appeal to the decency that the Republican party used to stand for".

And maybe that's what Trump is, an orange funeral procession, to serve as a eulogy for the once "great" Bush administration and elevate his undeserving presidency to the same, equally undeserving, plateau of reverence that Reagan gets credited for.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

aellisr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl7yv7BNHsk

"I Believe in a God that calls us not to judge our neighbors, but to love them."

"I want to change the tone of Washington, to one of civility and respect."

"We will give low income Americans tax credits to purchase health insurance they need and deserve."

"Racial progress has been steady, but it's still too slow."

It's admittedly cherry picking for middle-ground, sane, talking points, but this platform squeezed out the narrowest margin for a presidency in a really long time. In my wildest dreams, I never imagined I would say, "Let me go back and watch George Bush's convention speech for an appeal to the decency that the Republican party used to stand for".

And maybe that's what Trump is, an orange funeral procession, to serve as a eulogy for the once "great" Bush administration and elevate his undeserving presidency to the same, equally undeserving, plateau of reverence that Reagan gets credited for.

Seriously look at this stuff.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/adriancarrasquillo/when-george-w-bushs-2000-convention-featured-a-latino-theme?utm_term=.vn95oev1w#.hmlzW7YaZ

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So is the assumption that Hillary names her VP tomorrow?

aellisr
Oct 11, 2007

Alveolar fibrosis don't give a damn.

A thousand times this. My maternal side of the family is Cuban and they adored GWB, but they loath Trump. He is a punchline that keeps giving a community reasons to ridicule and mock him. I think Sam Harris called Trump, "A poor man's idea of a rich man", which I always attributed to an assessment of financials; but, I am increasingly believing the aptitude of that assessment would lead to "poor" being an indicator of ethics and morals. "Look at him, he made being a racist work for him!"

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The Glumslinger posted:

So is the assumption that Hillary names her VP tomorrow?

Yes, she's announcing it in Florida then doing some joint campaigning down there over the weekend.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

ehck

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Wow, shocking it hasn't leaked yet. Anybody try to order pizzas for Castro, Kaine, or Vilsack?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

ErIog posted:

Wow, shocking it hasn't leaked yet. Anybody try to order pizzas for Castro, Kaine, or Vilsack?

The final shortlist was Kaine, Vilsack, Perez.

Overall it feels like it's Kaine and has been for weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

All Aboard the Kaine Train choo chooo

• Locked thread