Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Irrationally suicidal fighter pilot behavior? One particular German Ace ended his career with the words:

quote:

Theo[his squadron mate], I have run out of ammunition. I'm going to ram this one. Good bye. We'll see each other in Valhalla."

I think you can figure out what he did next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

A White Guy posted:

Irrationally suicidal fighter pilot behavior? One particular German Ace ended his career with the words:

Scream Witness Me! while chomping down on crystal meth pills?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I kinda doubt German fighters followed British bombers back across the channel...

One almost did, but not in the way you'd think.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

A White Guy posted:

He fixes her cable?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Khazar-khum posted:

Some WWI pilots claimed you could do this. The speed of the planes make it right on the edge of possible, but unlikely. It really isn't something you want to try, even as a desperation move. With no parachute, you'd be committing suicide.

By WWII the planes were far too fast to attempt this.

Basically, you don't want your plane hitting another plane midair, no matter how cool it looks in the movies.

Well you don't unless you're Germany in April 1945.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonderkommando_Elbe

Sonderkommando Elbe was a Luftwaffe unit created for the sole task of ramming Allied heavy bombers. The stated plan was for pilots to actually use their propellers to slice control forces, destroying both planes in the process but allowing the pilot to bail out. However that's pretty hard to do and IIRC only one plane managed to do the slicing attack. All the other kills of the unit's sole mission were ram kills.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Scream Witness Me! while chomping down on crystal meth pills?

Ironically enough, fighter pilots on both sides were tweaking throughout the war, the Allies favoring benzedrine as their flavor of stimulant, the Nazis favoring actual methamphetamine. I imagine that at the end of war, with the Luftwaffe running out of skilled pilots, that the experienced fighter pilots started flying way more than they should have.

Nth Doctor posted:

He fixes her cable?

Go back to fark, thx.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

A White Guy posted:

Ironically enough, fighter pilots on both sides were tweaking throughout the war, the Allies favoring benzedrine as their flavor of stimulant, the Nazis favoring actual methamphetamine. I imagine that at the end of war, with the Luftwaffe running out of skilled pilots, that the experienced fighter pilots started flying way more than they should have.

Go back to fark, thx.

Even better, you'd get to tweak after bailing out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DykpMcrVtR0

Dude buys and tries military food, some of it ridiculously old and spoiled. Here's a 1943 WW2 British RAF Emergency Flying Ration, which includes sugar cubes, chewing gum, malted milk candy, and Benzedrine.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Since we're sort of on the subject, some British bomber weirdness.

The Avro Lancaster. A good bomber. But of course it was, it was their second try! Before the Lancaster, there was the disastrous Avro Manchester, which was basically the same aircraft with only two engines, markedly inferior to the ones eventually used on the Lancaster.

Avro Manchester. Fun fact, Avro was bought out in 1963, but the Avro football club is still around.

Short Brothers Stirling:

Len Deighton was inspired to write his novel Bomber after an RAF friend told him about the cheers that went through the squadron briefing room when the crews learned that the Stirlings were going to accompany them on a raid, flying lower and slower and thus attracting all the attention of the anti-aircraft gunners and the German night fighters.

The cause of this handicap was the specs it was built to - it was limited to a 99ft wingspan to fit through the doors of pre-war RAF hangars. (Though Wikipedia debates the subject) Anyway, Shorts shortened the wings of one of their flying boats and converted it to a landplane and it unexpectedly won the tender when the favourite candidate's factory was destroyed by Geman air raids. It also used two small bomb bays where the Lancaster used one, preventing the use of the larger bombs the Lanc eventually carried.

Handley Page Halifax:

A boringly competent bomber that did a mediocre-to-fair job until the Lancaster came along.

Armstrong Whitworth Whitley:

The Whitley was designed with the wing tilted up at 8.5° to improve take-off performance. Of course, once you level off, you level off the wings, not the body. The one above is not diving, that's how they flew.

Handley Page Hampden:

It's just a weird aircraft. Look at it! It couldn't carry enough bombs and it had no toilet. Retired halfway through the war. (Only half of them were left)

Vickers Wellington:

A good bomber used in the early part of the war. It used the old style of doped canvas skin, but it had a clever frame system, essentially being built out of a diamond shaped mesh. My favourite VC winner, Sergeant James Ward, used this to good effect one night, using a fire axe to punch hand and footholds in the wing one night in order to beat out a fire in the engine with a canvas cover.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The guy partly responsible for those engines was well

wiki posted:

Charles Stewart Rolls (27 August 1877 – 12 July 1910) was an English motoring and aviation pioneer. Together with Henry Royce he co-founded the Rolls-Royce car manufacturing firm. He was the first Briton to be killed in an aeronautical accident with a powered aircraft, when the tail of his Wright Flyer broke off during a flying display in the Southbourne district of Bournemouth. He was aged 32.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Imagine surviving two years of war in a crappy Hampden, struggling to keep above the night fighters and the AA, and getting a shiny new Manchester delivered. Five months later you're back in the Hampden because the Manchesters keep throwing conrods :argh:

syscall girl posted:

The guy partly responsible for those engines was well

That reminds me of some Rolls-Royce Trivia - Early Rolls-Royce jet engines were named after english rivers to promote the idea of the smooth flow of air through the turbines.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Jaguars! posted:

Armstrong Whitworth Whitley:

The Whitley was designed with the wing tilted up at 8.5° to improve take-off performance. Of course, once you level off, you level off the wings, not the body. The one above is not diving, that's how they flew.
The B-52 works the same way; because of the way the landing gear is set up (on the centerline at either end of a really long bomb bay), it can't really lift the nose and rotate to take off like normal planes do, so the wings are tilted up and it just kind of floats up off the runway with the fuselage level when takeoff speed is reached. And so flies nose-down. when cruising straight and level:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

A White Guy posted:

Go back to fark, thx.

German soldiers were given testosterone during WWII ( it was first synthesized in 1935) to try and increase aggressiveness and performance. They were ahead of their time in the use of performance enhancing drugs.

https://books.google.co.nz/books?id...sterone&f=false

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Jaguars! posted:

Imagine surviving two years of war in a crappy Hampden, struggling to keep above the night fighters and the AA, and getting a shiny new Manchester delivered. Five months later you're back in the Hampden because the Manchesters keep throwing conrods :argh:

That reminds me of some Rolls-Royce Trivia - Early Rolls-Royce jet engines were named after english rivers to promote the idea of the smooth flow of air through the turbines.

Not just early models, the practice continues today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Trent

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Say Nothing posted:

German soldiers were given testosterone during WWII ( it was first synthesized in 1935) to try and increase aggressiveness and performance. They were ahead of their time in the use of performance enhancing drugs.

https://books.google.co.nz/books?id...sterone&f=false

Did anyone post about the early Tour de France winner who fell off his bike, was given a shot of amphetamines and a glass of brandy, then finished the race, won, & died? Thirty years old or some poo poo.

Someone should post that story, not me though.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Did anyone post about the early Tour de France winner who fell off his bike, was given a shot of amphetamines and a glass of brandy, then finished the race, won, & died? Thirty years old or some poo poo.

Someone should post that story, not me though.

Sounds like a good time

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Suspect Bucket posted:

Sounds like a good time

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Maybe the real reason why time intervals records have progressed so much in the past thirty years is because athletes stopped smoking a pack of cigs before,after, and during every event.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Massacre of Glencoe in 1692's effects can still be felt to this day. In a lot of rural places, Campbells and MacDonalds still hold grudges against each other for the Campbell's part in the murder of 38 MacDonald clansmen who did not swear allegiance to William and Mary quick enough after the failure of the first Jacobite uprising a few years before. I'm speaking from experience here. As a kid visiting my grandparents, we were told not to go over to the Campbell line, and stay on the MacDonald line because that is where our ancestors were from, and you should never trust a Campbell.

The incident has also had its impact on pop culture. The Red Wedding from A Song of Ice and Fire was influenced by the Glencoe Massacre, with the violation of guest right.

where on earth is this happening

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Polish-Muscovite War. I know this is alleged, but I learned of this in the Military History thread and thought it was metal as gently caress. "False" Dmitriy I was the Tsar of Russia in 1605 during the Time of Troubles. He claimed to be the son of Ivan the Terrible, and was made Tsar are a result of Polish intrigue in Russian courts. During the Polish-Muscovite War, the poor guy met a hilarious end:

quote:

On the morning of 17 May 1606, ten days after Dmitriy's marriage to Tsarina Marina, a massive number of boyars and commoners stormed the Kremlin. Tsar Dmitriy tried to flee, jumping out a window, but fractured his leg in the fall. He fled to a bathhouse and attempted to disappear within, but was recognized and dragged out before the populace by the boyars, who killed the tsar lest he successfully muster an appeal to the crowd. His body was put on display and then cremated, with the ashes allegedly shot from a cannon towards Poland.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

duckmaster posted:

where on earth is this happening

Rural Ontario. The 1% of the province that doesn't live in the GTA is ignored for a reason.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A White Guy posted:

Maybe the real reason why time intervals records have progressed so much in the past thirty years is because athletes stopped smoking a pack of cigs before,after, and during every event.

Then again, they also rode cars and trains.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
:siren: CHILD DEATH WARNING :siren:

Natural gas doesn't naturally smell bad. The skunk-ish odorant was added after a school blew up and killed a fuckton of kids during the East Texas oil boom. They'd tapped off the oil company's waste gas line to run their furnace (back then natural gas/propane was a waste product when drilling for oil for gasoline), there was a leak in the basement, and the shop teacher turned on a circular saw, providing a spark that lit the odorless gas filling the school. The entire building leapt into the air, and killed over 295 people -- the 295 were identifiable as bodies, but it was during a PTA meeting, so there were plenty of unclaimed little bodies with the parents also killed, and entire migrant-worker families just vaporized.

Here's the new school, with the memorial cenotaph inset, circa 1940:

Everything on that postcard still stands to this day, the school is a bit cramped, the halls are narrow and tiled like a shower stall. But it's a small town, and they spent their money rebuilding, then the oil ran out.

Also, Reich Chancellor Adolph Hitler sent a telegram expressing his condolences. You know it's bad when fuckin' HITLER sends a "sorry for your loss" note.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Tsarina Marina

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
From a collection of letters by written in the 17th to19th century by Dutch sailors that were confiscated by the British High Court of Admiralty.

I added some punctuation for readability but kept most of the stream-of-consciousness intact for proto-goon flavour.

Pieter Tallenboom, 1781 posted:

I humbly request that you or your wife will find me a young lass by the time I come home because I can no longer keep my virginity because it is becoming so heavy on me that I cannot speak of it. Because of this, much esteemed and valued innkeeper, do your best to get one for me that knows how to handle that but you do have to make sure that she isn't smelly or dirty because the Devil sleeps with that but I don't. But if you find one that is clean and proper then I would like to crawl into her body so deep that I'll come, then my servant* will do his best because my servant focuses even more on the clean and proper than I do.

But much esteemed and valued landlord and landlady I request humbly that you do not fault me for for writing such a letter because I did not think I would get a letter from Jan van de Meij because he'd been here for 8 days before I got the letter but when I got the letter I was sorry that I wrote such a letter to my esteemed landlord and landlady because I saw you and your wife's loyal avowals and this is the third letter I have written to you, my much esteemed landlord and landlady, about this journey and I hope that it will find you and your wife in perfect health, if it didn't it would hurt me in my deepest heart and soul, God who is in heaven knows this about my loyal heart but you do not yet know of my loyalty, but I hope that you and your wife will come to see my loyalty even though there are people who wish me to the Devil because they can see I barely own a pair of pants to pull over my bollocks. They'll scare people because they say you can't depend on Piet Talleboom because he'll just run away, but I poo poo on such people but it would be better if people like that would mind themselves more then they wouldn't need anyone to help them with their problems.

But it's like the saying goes: you'll never get run over by a cleaning wagon but by a poo poo cart. I don't even want to think of that word "run away" but I also won't forget it, but I will be careful to associate with such devilish scum again because as the saying goes 'he who handles tar will be tainted by it'. That's why I will abstain from that if God will spare my life.

Furthermore much honoured and esteemed landlord and landlady, I humbly request if you would be so good as to go to Cornelis Schutekat and send him my greetings and let him know I am still in a perfect state of health and that I wish him much blessings in this new year, and everything that is useful to his soul and body, and that when I find him in a good state of health when I by the blessing of God complete my journey, then I hope that God will give me that we may drink a glass of red wine in full friendship.

Now my much honourable and esteemed landlord and landlady I will break off with the pen but not with the heart, and I wish you and your wife God's blessings for illness and ill fortune, and send my greetings to Sarah and Kaatje and little Piet, and I wish you a thousand times good things, written with all love and friendship and I will stay your affectionate friend and renter until death, written by me
Pieter Talleboom

*dick

PiratePing has a new favorite as of 11:09 on Jul 26, 2016

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
RE: Ramming poo poo with planes

Wasn't the F-104 Starfighter designed with sharper than normal wings? The one at the Norwegian air force museum had safety covers in place over the wing edges. It's probably more an aerodynamics thing, but I've heard rumors that they were also intended to be used for ramming the tails of Soviet bombers after having exhausted all armament.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Free Market Mambo posted:

RE: Ramming poo poo with planes

Wasn't the F-104 Starfighter designed with sharper than normal wings? The one at the Norwegian air force museum had safety covers in place over the wing edges. It's probably more an aerodynamics thing, but I've heard rumors that they were also intended to be used for ramming the tails of Soviet bombers after having exhausted all armament.

This plane could do sustained flight at mach 2 and had a wingspan of under 22 feet. Trying to ram a bomber would be suicide, assuming you could even aim it to within a mile of the plane itself.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

duckmaster posted:

This plane could do sustained flight at mach 2 and had a wingspan of under 22 feet. Trying to ram a bomber would be suicide, assuming you could even aim it to within a mile of the plane itself.

That's both a shame and a relief.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
F-104s are "flying" lawn darts

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

In Germany they were affectionaly known as "coffin nails"

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

PiratePing posted:

From a collection of letters by written in the 17th to19th century by Dutch sailors that were confiscated by the British High Court of Admiralty.

I added some punctuation for readability but kept most of the stream-of-consciousness intact for proto-goon flavour.

*dick

lol

post more

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

System Metternich posted:

Or tent pegs.

Also, if you want one, just buy land in Germany and wait.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011

System Metternich posted:

They would become so famous for this and the corruption scandals it was involved in that someone made an album about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWipIji35Cg

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

PiratePing posted:

Pieter Tallenboom

I love how this reads like a strange Craigslist ad. It starts out with a kind of weird, but not wholly unreasonably request, and then just fully derails into an anti-social rant about how much he hates everyone he meets. These sorts of first-hand documents always serve as a reminder to me that people have really always been the same throughout history. It's like that archive of collected graffiti from Pompeii that reads like a Youtube comments page.

If you have any more good ones like this, I'd love to read them!

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

FELD1 posted:

I love how this reads like a strange Craigslist ad. It starts out with a kind of weird, but not wholly unreasonably request, and then just fully derails into an anti-social rant about how much he hates everyone he meets. These sorts of first-hand documents always serve as a reminder to me that people have really always been the same throughout history. It's like that archive of collected graffiti from Pompeii that reads like a Youtube comments page.

If you have any more good ones like this, I'd love to read them!

That's a bit nitpicky I'll admit, but that old adage of "people have always been the same" is only partially true - things like, I dunno, fart jokes or an unhealthy fixation on sex are (probably) truly timeless, but in many other points you wouldn't even have to go that far back to find that most people see the world and interact with it through a significantly different lens than you do. The guy writing this would have had seen the world in a way that to our modern sensibilities would be in equal parts horrifying, amusing and utterly absurd (this also goes the other way, of course).

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
While reading up on the F-104's effectiveness as pilot-killer/bomber groper I found myself on the RAND Corporation's webpage, which had a fun paper on ramming's special place in the Soviet airforce.

Full paper here (pdf, have to download to view): http://www.rand.org/pubs/papers/P7192.html

Choice Quote

quote:

PERFORMING THE TARAN
The aerial taran was an intentional collision with another aircraft, but it was not a simple, clumsy, or suicidal act. A pilot's method of closing and colliding with a target aircraft determined not only the damage he inflicted but also the pilot's chance of surviving the collision. Many sources list three methods of performing the taran:
(1) Bringing the propeller of the fighter into contact with the rudder and control surfaces of the bomber.
(2) Using the wing of the fighter to contact the rudder or to push into the wing of the bomber to force it out of control (a maneuver like that used by RAF Typhoon pilots against V-ls).
(3) Crashing the fighter into the main body of the bomber.

quote:

Accounts in which the third attack variant was chosen usually end with the posthumous award of Hero of the Soviet Union.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

PiratePing posted:

*dick

Reads like a post from E/N. That's the beauty of history, the more things change, the more goons never get laid.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
While commonly thought to be a conspiracy centered around pan arabists with heavy Saudi backing, the terrorist attacks on 9/11/2001 were actually organized and committed by members of the contemporary American Bush Regime under the orders of the unusually influential vice president (vizer) Dick Cheney. Cheney also assassinated Paul Wellstone, a popular political rival by having his plane shot down.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Man, history is crazy.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

PiratePing posted:

But it's like the saying goes: you'll never get run over by a cleaning wagon but by a poo poo cart.

Adopting this saying into my everyday life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I noticed something about that 115 gripes about Frenchmen book 10 pages back that I had to share.

#31) The French are insincere; it is an inborn trait with them.

"There are no 'inborn traits' which account for the social characteristics of customs of a people. The entire body of scientific anthropology prove this."

Which is really ironic when you consider the time period this was written in. It's hard to believe the writer didn't realize the social implications of this when you apply it to American social politics. He goes on to say that a French child raised in an American home will be indistinguishable from an American child, and how it's stupid to say, for example, that Bostonians have an inborn trait for baked beans.