Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Tony Zhou from Every Frame a Painting on youtube (subscribe to this if you like video essays on film editing) did a guest spot on the Filmed in Canada podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Not A Vet Yet posted:

Anyone have any good podcasts on British politics? I'll take either crazy rambling Carlin Common Sense style opinions or cool polished Radiolab More Perfect style on the system itself (although I guess thats law rather then politics, but close enough).

The Spectator do decent podcasts imo. There's a fortnightly 30 min one covering a few topics and a quick 10min daily recap when something notable happens.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I've been really liking Reveal, which tends to go for those "lost in the cracks" sorts of stories that Last Week Tonight kinda goes for, but obviously this is done pretty much stone sober. It's one of those "Yeah, I knew this was hosed, but I didn't realize just how hosed it is" podcasts, which is some combination of informative and depressing.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Reveal is a partner with propublica. If that's any indication, they do their best to delve into things

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

I've been really liking Reveal, which tends to go for those "lost in the cracks" sorts of stories that Last Week Tonight kinda goes for, but obviously this is done pretty much stone sober. It's one of those "Yeah, I knew this was hosed, but I didn't realize just how hosed it is" podcasts, which is some combination of informative and depressing.

Reveal is incredibly satisfying investigative journalism. Pro listen, but holy gently caress is it a bummer because... well, just listen to some of the episodes. :smith:

NewAccountUsername
May 5, 2006

BeigeJacket posted:

The Spectator do decent podcasts imo. There's a fortnightly 30 min one covering a few topics and a quick 10min daily recap when something notable happens.

Thanks for the reply, I've been listening to this, its good. To balance out all the right wing stuff I've been downloading the guardian's politics weekly. Can also recommend this. But I'd still like to find some UK centric Carlin-esque craziness, or some well polished Radiolab type stuff. I'm fully aware these may not exist.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Any good podcasts that cover conspiracy theories in an objective educational/historical way? I'm not looking for a debunking podcast like Skeptoid, or one where the hosts drink the coolaid and are truthers. Just someone who breaks down what the theories are, not whether they're true or not.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

feedmyleg posted:

Any good podcasts that cover conspiracy theories in an objective educational/historical way? I'm not looking for a debunking podcast like Skeptoid, or one where the hosts drink the coolaid and are truthers. Just someone who breaks down what the theories are, not whether they're true or not.

Why would you not want to know whether it's true or not? How would that even work.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Because hearing the story of a conspiracy theory is a lot more interesting than hearing the facts? As the facts are generally "Well yeah of course that didn't happen." Basically I want to learn more about what the conspiracy theories were culturally at the time, rather than hearing someone spend time digging into the veracity of them or trying to convince the listener that they're true.

Stuff They Don't Want You to Know is the closest I've found so far, but it's pretty corny.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Thinking Sideways covers unsolved mysteries, and ends up discussing a shitload of conspiracy theories in the process. Its a pretty good listen.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

feedmyleg posted:

Try Mysterious Universe. I'm not a regular listener but from what I've heard it seems like it might fit what you're looking for. The hosts seem like they are open minded but not true believers. It's not all conspiracy theories per se but offbeat stuff in general.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

ChetReckless posted:

Try Mysterious Universe. I'm not a regular listener but from what I've heard it seems like it might fit what you're looking for. The hosts seem like they are open minded but not true believers. It's not all conspiracy theories per se but offbeat stuff in general.

They started out that way, but they've become increasingly credulous after realizing how much money was in that kind of work. It's still good for weird news items now and again, but they don't use a whole lot of skepticism or logic these days. If you can track down the back catalog it's pretty good.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

WEH posted:

They started out that way, but they've become increasingly credulous after realizing how much money was in that kind of work. It's still good for weird news items now and again, but they don't use a whole lot of skepticism or logic these days. If you can track down the back catalog it's pretty good.

Ahhh, too bad. Back when I listened I enjoyed the relatively measured take on things. The monetisation of the podcast was always... prominent, so I guess it isn't a total shock.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Last podcast on the left covers things very exhaustively and always gives you a straight story on what the actual conspiracy is and why but a lot of it is jokes, them pretending to believe in it 100 percent, or Henry zebrowski doing silly voices.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Not a podcast, but Al Jazeera started a video series about the history of the Caliphs. First video starts with Abu Bakr and ends with the collapse of the Umayyads. Looks like they're giving an ocean-view tour of the people who claimed the title up until the fall of the Ottomans. (They're trying to explain the significance of the title to people who've only heard of it in relation to ISIS' dubious claims.)

Can't say much about how historically accurate it is. Sounds like they're presenting a very traditional history of the early Caliphs.

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Lizard People might be along these lines. I only recently heard about it and haven't actually gotten around to any episodes yet, though, so I can't vouch for how seriously it takes the actual theories (it's styled as conspiracy theories and comedy, so maybe something Dollop-esque?)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ron Roenicke posted:

Lizard People might be along these lines. I only recently heard about it and haven't actually gotten around to any episodes yet, though, so I can't vouch for how seriously it takes the actual theories (it's styled as conspiracy theories and comedy, so maybe something Dollop-esque?)

Really digging this, pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
Here's a new podcast on the fall of the Roman Empire by a recent PhD, focused on interpretation through current research , digging what I've heard so far! https://soundcloud.com/fallofromepodcast

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Dan Carlin must be deep in the hardcore history studio bunker since he hasn't had anything on Twitter in a while. If there was ever a news story to get him to release an episode of common sense it would have been the DNC email leaks.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I always get excited when this thread has 10 or more unread posts because that's how I know a new episode of Hardcore History dropped.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Good timing on that call, because

https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/762141245112147970

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Soon? Soon? Gaaaagh.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
What's double mean? He's already creeping up on 4 hour long episodes.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

uPen posted:

What's double mean? He's already creeping up on 4 hour long episodes.

We might be nearing 6 hours like he did on the conclusion for the Fall of Rome series

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Well, that was quick: Kings of Kings III, 5 hours long

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I have to wonder if this is a smashing pumpkins reference

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

individual865 posted:

Here's a new podcast on the fall of the Roman Empire by a recent PhD, focused on interpretation through current research , digging what I've heard so far! https://soundcloud.com/fallofromepodcast

That was not good, but it always takes new podcaster about fifteen to twenty episodes to learn how to do a podcast. I'll check in again a few months from now to see if he's improved.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

New Hardcore History is out!

5 hour long double ep to finish up the Persia series.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cervixalot posted:

It's actually the last one? YES, now to listen to the whole bunch!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cervixalot posted:

drat it, Carlin, I had things to do today!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
to anyone and everyone recommending chapo trap house, thanks fam. I'm home now.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

TheFallenEvincar posted:

to anyone and everyone recommending chapo trap house, thanks fam. I'm home now.

I liked the ones around the conventions. I tried to listen to this weeks and did not know what the hell they are talking about. Am I just too dumb for this podcast? I love keeping it 1600, but I have no idea who half the people they talk about are.

Help me see the light.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Cervixalot posted:

Time to Boxing Analogies: 3 Hours, 45 minutes. A new world record!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Kinda bummed that Carlin skimmed over Xenophon, especially when so much of the episode is devoted to how scarce and suspect the sources are. Otherwise pretty solid.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Kinda bummed that Carlin skimmed over Xenophon, especially when so much of the episode is devoted to how scarce and suspect the sources are. Otherwise pretty solid.

The Lesser Bonapartes did a series on Xenophon before the host switch if you're interested in some people getting deep into just that.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
came to see Dan Carlin, pleased to see he's up at the top of the OP. King of Kings is gonna be drat near as good as Death Throes and is about history you probably don't already know (if you grew up in the states)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
As great as Hardcore History is, thats how horrible Carlin's analysis of current politics is in his latest Common Sense.

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe
Dan Carlin is kind of frustrating to listen to when he's talking about current events because you can almost hear him physically strain to maintain an apolitical facade and therefore say nothing of substance.

But maybe it is all about hate

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

There are a bunch of Common Sense episodes where I disagree with Dan immensely when I first listen to it, but then gradually see his point. The second half of this episode was pretty much just him regurgitating his mom's views on there being "too much hate." I know he usually doesn't get in the nitty gritties of the political cycle on the show, but we barely got his take on some of Trump's crazier positions, like the nuclear arsenal thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
He has really wanted to bag on Trump specifically for like the last four Common Sense episodes, and has had to restrain himself from doing so. I don't think CS will be worth listening to until after the election.