Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The real win condition is mind controlling an archer captain with the exploding bolts perk and sending him to fight another archer captain with the exploding bolts perk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Is The Bright Lord worth playing through?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

sassassin posted:

Is The Bright Lord worth playing through?

Hell yes, it's effectively the real ending to the game.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Why'd they arbitrarily change the archery mechanic and nothing else? Bit annoying.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
To differentiate the characters a bit, I guess.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Archery as the Bright Lord is way better to be honest.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Epi Lepi posted:

Archery as the Bright Lord is way better to be honest.

If I can't slow down time and shadow strike kill in the middle of a huge melee what's the point?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Bought this during the summer sale and just got around to playing it. Managed a few hours last night and man it is pretty drat fun. I'm a big fan of anything LoTR/Tolkien related so this is pretty cool to play. With only a few hours played and not that much exploring done I'm finding all the enemies to be just be visually what I imagine they should be in middle earth.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Digital Jedi posted:

Bought this during the summer sale and just got around to playing it. Managed a few hours last night and man it is pretty drat fun. I'm a big fan of anything LoTR/Tolkien related so this is pretty cool to play. With only a few hours played and not that much exploring done I'm finding all the enemies to be just be visually what I imagine they should be in middle earth.
It's pretty amazing how visually diverse even the basic orc grunts are all from each other. They really put a lot of work into making each one seem like an individual, rather than just recycling a few stock models.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Vib Rib posted:

It's pretty amazing how visually diverse even the basic orc grunts are all from each other. They really put a lot of work into making each one seem like an individual, rather than just recycling a few stock models.

It's even crazier than that - once you unlock branding try branding a bunch of nameless grunt orcs with a shared physical feature - all the guys with the roundish pig looking heads for instance. As you travel across the map you'll start to run into guys - and the branded ones will all have that feature. Each time you enter an area it actually populates it with orcs that you may have seen before, even if they're mundane grunts and even if you never recognize them. Orcs are individuals!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Digital Jedi posted:

You are playing Batman but without any of the fiddly puzzle or Predator bits. The game is great for as long as you enjoy the combat system.

Also Shadow of Mordor 2 is very likely a thing currently in development so who knows what might happen when they put out a game that was properly developed rather than failed upwards to success.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Mzbundifund posted:

It's even crazier than that - once you unlock branding try branding a bunch of nameless grunt orcs with a shared physical feature - all the guys with the roundish pig looking heads for instance. As you travel across the map you'll start to run into guys - and the branded ones will all have that feature. Each time you enter an area it actually populates it with orcs that you may have seen before, even if they're mundane grunts and even if you never recognize them. Orcs are individuals!

They can even gain traits and ranks and titles by doing stuff in the world. For instance a band of orcs runs across one of those big rideable beasts whose name I forget now and depending on how the encounter goes a number of things can happen. If he gets his rear end kicked but survives somehow he'll develop a fear of that monster. Conversely whoever lands the killing blow might get promoted and get a title like Beastmaster and wears a big pelt and does extra damage to those beasts, or maybe gets enraged by them. Stuff like this is actually happening all around you whether you're around to see it or not. It's like the coolest Open World mechanic in a decade and nobody copied it.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Vib Rib posted:

That is what I first really noticed. It really brings the world alive.

Alchenar posted:

You are playing Batman but without any of the fiddly puzzle or Predator bits. The game is great for as long as you enjoy the combat system.

Also Shadow of Mordor 2 is very likely a thing currently in development so who knows what might happen when they put out a game that was properly developed rather than failed upwards to success.

I haven't actually playing any of the Batman games so this is a new combat system to me. I'm rather enjoying it so far.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Digital Jedi posted:

I haven't actually playing any of the Batman games so this is a new combat system to me. I'm rather enjoying it so far.
its good

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Digital Jedi posted:

That is what I first really noticed. It really brings the world alive.

My advice: dont level up your health, don't take throwing daggers, don't take the ability that stuns people when you vault over them. makes combat a bit more fun in my opinion.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I think I leveled my health once cause the combat was new and I kept attracting every mob in the world to attack me at once. Now I'm much better. Didn't even know throwing daggers exist

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Stuff like this is actually happening all around you whether you're around to see it or not. It's like the coolest Open World mechanic in a decade and nobody copied it.

Yeah! Every other open world game just feels so dead and lifeless now, completely shown up by a dang licensed setting game of all things.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Monolith at the very least should make a new game with the mechanic. Maybe the second game will break more ground and more devs will pick up on it.

Batman could be a ideal pick, I even heard that SOM was originally going to be a Batman game. If not Batman, you could have a mobster game where you can send off gangsters to do your dirty work while the other mobs have trees of their own. Plenty of possibilities where this mechanic could be perfect.

If they actually do SOM 2 instead, which the ending does leave room for, I hope they make it much more different since it'll get pretty old just lurking around Mordor all the time using orcs again.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BillBear posted:

If they actually do SOM 2 instead, which the ending does leave room for, I hope they make it much more different since it'll get pretty old just lurking around Mordor all the time using orcs again.

SOM 2 be the inverse, you are some sort of nazgul type thing or maybe just a super badass orc. you start off in the Shire chopping up hobbits and graduate to murdering elves in their forest kingdom and then eventually taking down waves of humans in the streets of Minas Tirith, singlehandedly delivering the realm of Gondor to your dark Lord.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BillBear posted:

Monolith at the very least should make a new game with the mechanic. Maybe the second game will break more ground and more devs will pick up on it.

Batman could be a ideal pick, I even heard that SOM was originally going to be a Batman game. If not Batman, you could have a mobster game where you can send off gangsters to do your dirty work while the other mobs have trees of their own. Plenty of possibilities where this mechanic could be perfect.

Yeah Nemesis system in Batman would be absolutely brilliant. Bring in a few of the well known villains like Joker and Penguin, but have them be the top dogs who are inviting new and up-coming villains and gangs to join their league of evil or whatever.

Even better than Shadow, since Batman generally tries to avoid killing dudes. So instead you'd just send them off to Arkham, only for them to randomly escape some time later. You'd think you'd settled the score with some old nemesis, only for him to come back way way way later in the game. It'd be super cool.

poo poo though, that'd be so much fun it doesn't even have to be batman! Honestly, just a game where you play a cop dealing with all these villains would be amazing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

We joked in the XCOM 2 thread that it would be great to have semi-persistent aliens that would become 'wanted' when they killed one of your guys and escaped, and they'd show back up in other missions to settle the score.

Then we got the alien rulers DLC and half of us were like "AWESOME" and the other half were like "OH GOD FIRAXIS I WAS JOKING"

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah Nemesis system in Batman would be absolutely brilliant. Bring in a few of the well known villains like Joker and Penguin, but have them be the top dogs who are inviting new and up-coming villains and gangs to join their league of evil or whatever.

Even better than Shadow, since Batman generally tries to avoid killing dudes. So instead you'd just send them off to Arkham, only for them to randomly escape some time later. You'd think you'd settled the score with some old nemesis, only for him to come back way way way later in the game. It'd be super cool.
Instead of just random armor and perks you could give them random superpowers/gadgets/abilities and then generate and color-code a wacky supervillain costume for them.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Earwicker posted:

SOM 2 be the inverse, you are some sort of nazgul type thing or maybe just a super badass orc. you start off in the Shire chopping up hobbits and graduate to murdering elves in their forest kingdom and then eventually taking down waves of humans in the streets of Minas Tirith, singlehandedly delivering the realm of Gondor to your dark Lord.

i had no idea how much i wanted this until now

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
One of the cool parts of the system is that when you kill an orc, they drag it back to the dark pits and is reborn with more metal bits. It would be hard to do that in a non supernatural way. Not saying it's impossible, but you dying and the orcs dying and everyone coming back for more is a pretty strange idea for a lot of settings. It works great here, maybe in some sci fi android body part replacing things, or aliens... Or okay it's a really great system why hasn't the nemesis system been in everything.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I wished that Mad Max had had this system... THAT game was perfect for it, you could have had all these crazy outfit designs and the warlords could even get funky cara over time that also would change based on encounters.

Shame they completely missed that opportunity.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

captain innocuous posted:

One of the cool parts of the system is that when you kill an orc, they drag it back to the dark pits and is reborn with more metal bits. It would be hard to do that in a non supernatural way. Not saying it's impossible, but you dying and the orcs dying and everyone coming back for more is a pretty strange idea for a lot of settings. It works great here, maybe in some sci fi android body part replacing things, or aliens... Or okay it's a really great system why hasn't the nemesis system been in everything.

It doesn't have to be limited to scifi/fantasy stuff at all, because the system doesn't need to revolve around actual death/rebirth. You could make, say, an open world racing game like a Forza Horizon type of thing where you can damage someone else's car to the point where they have to stop and get it towed off to some town, later on they come back at you with their poo poo fixed up and a grudge against you. Or do the same thing with injuries and rivalries over the course of a season in a soccer or football game. lots of possibilities.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 26, 2016

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I hope in the next SoM they make the Nemesis system even more robust and transparent somehow. It's actually really subtle how the Orc captains get all their little modifiers and power increases but unless you really take the time to study them you'll never see the full complexity of the system, which I think detracts from how much effort was put into it.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

My dream Nemesis game would be something involving giant mecha. Like,you gently caress up a guy's robot,he has to get medical leave, then he comes back at you later in an Ace Custom unit with fancy colors , just because he survived. You kill his friends,he begins fanatically hunting you down,in some Super Prototype. Like Jerid Mesa from Zeta Gundam or something like that.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I think the general consensus last time the Nemesis system got really discussed in depth was that it would work, with some permutations and tweaks, of course, in just about any setting or theme. It feels less like a singular gimmick and more like a fundamental system that games should start incorporating widespread.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Earwicker posted:

It doesn't have to be limited to scifi/fantasy stuff at all, because the system doesn't need to revolve around actual death/rebirth. You could make, say, an open world racing game like a Forza Horizon type of thing where you can damage someone else's car to the point where they have to stop and get it towed off to some town, later on they come back at you with their poo poo fixed up and a grudge against you. Or do the same thing with injuries and rivalries over the course of a season in a soccer or football game. lots of possibilities.

SSX3 implemented this, in an admittedly smaller scope, years before Shadow of Mordor was even an idea

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Vib Rib posted:

I think the general consensus last time the Nemesis system got really discussed in depth was that it would work, with some permutations and tweaks, of course, in just about any setting or theme. It feels less like a singular gimmick and more like a fundamental system that games should start incorporating widespread.

Agreed.

It's especially brilliant here because orcs are pretty much the archtypical faceless mooks, but somehow, in a game set in Mordor, where you fight orcs and only orcs, the legions of faceless mooks steal the show. This idiot wears a cooking apron and only talks in rhyme. This guy is wearing a head on his hat on his head. This guy's Tarz the Puny and he's literally 5 feet tall and hisses like a tiny mean dog. It's so great.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Has anyone managed to brand enough orcs to essentially own entire sections of a map yet?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Last I played, I had tried to take over an entire fortress, but as soon as I got out of range it despawned my branded orcs and replaced them with rando new ones.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Wade Wilson posted:

Has anyone managed to brand enough orcs to essentially own entire sections of a map yet?

The game will scatter your orcs all over the map. Pretty sure there's a hard limit on the amount of orcs you can control at once as well.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Seems to be, yeah. I faintly recall once trying to brand every captain in Mordor in an effort to literally conquer the entire game world, but after a certain number previous brands just disappeared.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

You can brand every Captain, and that's not a big deal. The region becomes insanely boring though, because your branded orcs will avoid coming into conflict with one another.

Branding every mook is impossible I'm pretty sure, but you can get to the point where you have at least half of everyone.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Coolguye posted:

You can brand every Captain, and that's not a big deal. The region becomes insanely boring though, because your branded orcs will avoid coming into conflict with one another.

Branding every mook is impossible I'm pretty sure, but you can get to the point where you have at least half of everyone.

I uh....no it's not.

I kept branding every single Orc band I met for awhile to test it. After 4-5 hours I stopped running into nonbranded orcs. Every stronghold I entered was nothing but my orcs, every patrol, every garrison in the countryside.

This was post branding all the Warchiefs/Captains of course.

The pool is very large, but it's still a singular pool. It won't create new orcs/despawn your orcs, it'll just move them around to create more scenarios for you. But if you keep branding nonstop, you'll eventually catch all the orcs in the pool.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Rookersh posted:

I uh....no it's not.

I kept branding every single Orc band I met for awhile to test it. After 4-5 hours I stopped running into nonbranded orcs. Every stronghold I entered was nothing but my orcs, every patrol, every garrison in the countryside.

Maybe it depends on what system you're playing on AKA console v. PC?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

VolticSurge posted:

My dream Nemesis game would be something involving giant mecha. Like,you gently caress up a guy's robot,he has to get medical leave, then he comes back at you later in an Ace Custom unit with fancy colors , just because he survived. You kill his friends,he begins fanatically hunting you down,in some Super Prototype. Like Jerid Mesa from Zeta Gundam or something like that.

This but with Battletech and the between mission game is basically Crusader Kings 2. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

I bought this during greenmangaming's summer sale, and after playing around with it some I decided to look around for some journalism:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/1/6881161/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-torture-terrorism posted:

The concept of this game is shocking when you think about what's actually happening. As an ultra-powerful white dude, you use fear and extreme acts of violence to manipulate an enemy's behavior, destroy its militaristic structure, and ultimately gain control of it in the form of living bondage despite being outnumbered by the thousands. Really, chew on this: This is a video game about a spurned man terrorizing an entire foreign culture, literally killing, branding, torturing and enslaving hundreds of living beings. And really they're only tangentially connected to the man's real enemy: another ultra-powerful white dude.
:wiggle:

• Locked thread