Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Internet Friend posted:

Ask in Discord or Reddit or somewhere and someone can give you their perfect cats.

The only perfect cat Reddit cares about is the boomerang cat.

Thus it is the only perfect cat Reddit ever has or trades.

Reddit is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i'm not sure cats matter enough to be worth all the fuss

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Roland Jones posted:

I wonder if it's a dumb limitation of how they have their quest system set up or something. Like, if you do a normal quest you don't qualify to take personally yet (but do qualify to participate in, of course), you'll still have it completed when you reach the necessary HR, right? Maybe the "you need to pick your own urgents" thing is a side-effect of how they're keeping it so you don't count as having completed an urgent before you unlocked it and things breaking because of that.

I mean, it's more likely that it's just a really boneheaded design decision of theirs, admittedly. I just started trying to think of why they'd do things that way when it's so weird and frustrating, and that's the best I got, their code requiring it so things don't break.

But yeah, them changing that in 5 would be great. I hope they do that too.
I took it as flavor wise and mechanically it's supposed to be a personal test/personal gating, but it doesn't work like that.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

lets hang out posted:

i'm not sure cats matter enough to be worth all the fuss

Only thing that matters is how they look.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elysiume posted:

I took it as flavor wise and mechanically it's supposed to be a personal test/personal gating, but it doesn't work like that.

Flavor-wise it feels like it actually makes more sense to me for everyone who needs that urgent to get the rank up from it; everyone on the quest participated in it and proved themselves, and besides that urgent quests are supposed to be, well, urgent. They're big emergencies that you need to deal with and all. Everyone involved getting a rank up if they're not always that high a rank makes sense; doing the "urgent" quest four times in a row so you and all your friends rank up does not.

As for it being a gate, gameplay-wise, that likewise doesn't really make sense to me; if you're finishing the quest, then regardless of whether you initiated it or not you've supposedly "proven" yourself. You could in theory get carried by your teammates, but that can happen whether you're the one initiating a quest or not, so it's not like you being the one who chose this particular quest solves anything there.

I wonder what things from this game are going to get carried forward in future games, on something of a tangent. Styles are awesome, hunter arts are pretty neat, all weapons being upgradable to endgame levels is fantastic, there are a lot of little QoL things, and so on. I really hope these things aren't all one-offs.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Best QoL thing in this game: holding down A to gather/carve. Don't have to crouch and mash A anymore!

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

The only perfect cat Reddit cares about is the boomerang cat.

Thus it is the only perfect cat Reddit ever has or trades.

Reddit is poo poo.

Well when people say 'perfect cat' they mean 'cat with the highest possible DPS as Prowler', which is always a variant of the boomerang cat with different mixes of utility skills depending on taste.

You're clearly talking about something different and unique to your needs, so tell us what that is and maybe we can help!

Personally I'm trying to work out the best mix of skills for a healing Palico to take on quests. It's fun to experiment and see how things work out.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I think i'm in love with Astalos :allears:

His music is awesome, he looks cool and armor weapons are just badass looking.

The skill on his armor Crit Chase i think it's called, from the looks of the description,sound like it'd be good for weapons that are super fast because the increase of affinity with every hit? I wanna use it with my bug staff.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Decided I would solo the jho tonight and got a real treat.

Gaffle fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 27, 2016

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Roland Jones posted:

Flavor-wise it feels like it actually makes more sense to me for everyone who needs that urgent to get the rank up from it; everyone on the quest participated in it and proved themselves, and besides that urgent quests are supposed to be, well, urgent. They're big emergencies that you need to deal with and all. Everyone involved getting a rank up if they're not always that high a rank makes sense; doing the "urgent" quest four times in a row so you and all your friends rank up does not.

As for it being a gate, gameplay-wise, that likewise doesn't really make sense to me; if you're finishing the quest, then regardless of whether you initiated it or not you've supposedly "proven" yourself. You could in theory get carried by your teammates, but that can happen whether you're the one initiating a quest or not, so it's not like you being the one who chose this particular quest solves anything there.

I wonder what things from this game are going to get carried forward in future games, on something of a tangent. Styles are awesome, hunter arts are pretty neat, all weapons being upgradable to endgame levels is fantastic, there are a lot of little QoL things, and so on. I really hope these things aren't all one-offs.
That's part of why I said it didn't work like that. I actually got more of an impression of it being a personal thing in MH3U/MH4U than MHG, but I can't remember why--maybe I'm just misremembering things. Regarding it being a personal gating, that would really only work if they were single player, which would suck for people who want to main HH/support palico/things like LBH/HBG/box which can struggle with soloing things. It's partially that I really see no reason to have urgents be the way they are, and this is me grasping at straws for why they're the way they are.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

The skill on his armor Crit Chase i think it's called, from the looks of the description,sound like it'd be good for weapons that are super fast because the increase of affinity with every hit? I wanna use it with my bug staff.

Chain Crit is a really solid skill. The way it works is that it triggers on hit and then increases with subsequent hits within a fairly generous window to the max. If you miss or stop track for a bit it resets and it has a short cool down. It starts at 25% and increases to 30% over the next 5 hits so it is a pretty hefty boost.

With several weapons (DS being the kings but IG is right up there) you can nearly instantly max it out, so it effectively becomes Crit Eye +3 for half the points.

His armor is alright, Stam Recov is a solid skill and in particular quite useful with Aerial style. Stun resist is pretty whatever but it will save you from a cart every now and then. Having a good charm that lets you get Crit Boost or Elemental Crit would be the best way to use it, or just going for straight up Attack.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
every time i fight goddamn kirin i want to slit my loving wrists

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Apparently there's a skill that makes criticals do 40% extra damage instead of 25%. Chain Crit + Critical Boost (that skill) + I dunno, weakness exploit or Crit Eye 3 could make a pretty fun gimmick set.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Ignimbrite posted:

Apparently there's a skill that makes criticals do 40% extra damage instead of 25%. Chain Crit + Critical Boost (that skill) + I dunno, weakness exploit or Crit Eye 3 could make a pretty fun gimmick set.

You mean Critical Up, right? Gotta gem for that maybe, but be careful because a Critical Jwl 1 also has Attack -1.

EDIT: Or just wear this armor set because it has both and Crit Elemental for shits.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I like the sustain of the HH but I feel like my damage is lacking should I be crafting a better horn, or should I be playing with a hammer?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You could upgrade it.

Alternatively, check to see what the damage is like against a variety of monsters. Maybe there's a Cut/Pierce/Strike or elemental resistance thing going on.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 27, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

thorsilver posted:

Well when people say 'perfect cat' they mean 'cat with the highest possible DPS as Prowler', which is always a variant of the boomerang cat with different mixes of utility skills depending on taste.

You're clearly talking about something different and unique to your needs, so tell us what that is and maybe we can help!

Personally I'm trying to work out the best mix of skills for a healing Palico to take on quests. It's fun to experiment and see how things work out.

Heal Horn, True Healing Horn, Shock Purr-ison, the cleansing horn, and Go, Fight, Win! are at the top of priorities for a heal/buffcat. If you roll with two of them it's kinda hilarious how few support items you need to use a lot of the time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I actually have been completely neglecting my Palicoes and that might be why I'm sucking kinda hard. I'll have to review them. I haven't even set any skills or anything :downs:

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

:hf:

Astalos is the best Fated Four. Also, his armor and insect glaive together decimates pretty much anything weak to lightning in LR. Mizutsune and Rathalos barely take about ten minutes. That skill really encourages rapid attacks, and the IG (Aerial especially) kicks it up instantaneously. Especially when the weapon already has good affinity.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

That armor skill, a high affinity Insect Glaive, and the Kinsect that gives 30% Affinity with the white buff are really easy ways to quickly stack Affinity buffs.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Speaking of kinsects, does anyone have a list of Gen's kinsects? For some reason I can't seem to find one anywhere, so I've been upgrading blind.

Thank god for whoever pointed out that you could duplicate nectars by doing cat quests, though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I want to play Horn some more today but I am a daft bastard at remembering the songs and notes :(

cream of the clop
Sep 24, 2005

serious duck
I got this game the other day and I already feel left behind being only HR2. Got dang, people move fast.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Team Stab posted:

I got this game the other day and I already feel left behind being only HR2. Got dang, people move fast.

I feel you. I move really slowly through the low ranks because of my play style (I have 39 gunlances right now) but I blaze through the game after that

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Team Stab posted:

Please don't even worry about this. I've been taking it slow, too. I'm like Village 4 and HR 4 from launch day. Most of us love running newbies through their ranks if you're worried about getting your urgents done.

I mean, think of it this way. If we're lucky, we'll get Monster Hunter 5 in a year. If we're realistic, we'll get Monster Hunter 5 Ultimate in 2 years. There's nothing wrong with savoring what we already have a little.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Team Stab posted:

Don't even worry about it. I got the game on launch and I'm HR1 because I only did village quests, and even then that was mostly because I focused on key quests for progression and villager requests. These games take time for most people to progress in, especially if you're trying to narrow down good weapons/styles/arts for your playstyle. Just go at whatever pace works for you.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, I got 24 Dash Extract from a high rank Meowster Hunter run on Gypceros. Matching the colors really makes a difference, and that's a good enough reason to fill up your roster with cats, even if you only use, like 3 of them for fighting.

Specto
Jun 28, 2010
Teo's bow is so good. I finish solo high rank stuff like a minute faster than with other weapons, and I still have improvements to make. I wonder what they were thinking when they decided on it's stats.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

I want to play Horn some more today but I am a daft bastard at remembering the songs and notes :(

Have you tried noting them down on a piece of paper? Once you do two or three hunts they'll stick.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Squidtentacle posted:

Speaking of kinsects, does anyone have a list of Gen's kinsects? For some reason I can't seem to find one anywhere, so I've been upgrading blind.

Apparently I'm an idiot, so here's something for anyone else who might need it: http://www.gameskinny.com/cyd8a/monster-hunter-generations-kinsect-upgrade-guide

Looking at this, going for speed probably would've been a better idea for the Astalos IG than power, with the affinity boost and red + white duration boost, but Monarch Alucanid's not a bad option still. Looks cool too.

maybe I shouldn't be deciding my kinsects based on how they aesthetically match up with my glaives

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Squidtentacle posted:

maybe I shouldn't be deciding my kinsects based on how they aesthetically match up with my glaives

BLASPHEMY

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Specto posted:

Teo's bow is so good. I finish solo high rank stuff like a minute faster than with other weapons, and I still have improvements to make. I wonder what they were thinking when they decided on it's stats.

now just wait until you have Load Up
it's considered "bad" before then

maybe not bad but just not too different from every other bow

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
So I've been doing guild quests with a friend of mine, just got to HR4.

Ive been using "BuJaBuJaBu" armor all through low rank and did pretty well. A lot of what I've seen online says to just keep that armor until I get to Glavenus and farm up its set.

Are there any other sets with a bit higher armor and useful skills to tie me over in the mean time? I'm still fairly new to the series and am trying to learn monster patterns while simultaneously learning Greatsword.

Both of us tried fighting the katchawatcha last night and failed. We could likely get it with another try, but it makes me worry about what else is in 4 and 5 before we even see glavenus.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I played a little mh4u last night and you really feel the uncapped fps in that game, even in a g rank party. Just a lot smoother in many areas.

Also the colors are just a lot more vivid in general for some reason. It was a very strange feeling after dumping like sixty hours in MHG.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

Holy poo poo, I got 24 Dash Extract from a high rank Meowster Hunter run on Gypceros. Matching the colors really makes a difference, and that's a good enough reason to fill up your roster with cats, even if you only use, like 3 of them for fighting.

How do you unlock High Rank Meownster Hunter?

crazkylo posted:

Are there any other sets with a bit higher armor and useful skills to tie me over in the mean time? I'm still fairly new to the series and am trying to learn monster patterns while simultaneously learning Greatsword.

Both of us tried fighting the katchawatcha last night and failed. We could likely get it with another try, but it makes me worry about what else is in 4 and 5 before we even see glavenus.

There's a High Rank version of Bujabujabu with the exact same skills.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

crazkylo posted:

Ive been using "BuJaBuJaBu" armor all through low rank and did pretty well. A lot of what I've seen online says to just keep that armor until I get to Glavenus and farm up its set.

Glav is in HR3 of online, you missed him!

Rathalos armor is better IMO especially if you have an attack charm.

If you have a two slot charm you can mix Rathalos with Ceanataur and I think Bhna feet and that should get you attack+razor sharp+weak exploit but you don't really need that with GS.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

crazkylo posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/4t7dgo/mix_set_for_late_lowrank_with_razor_sharp/?st=iqq63r76&sh=b6bdbd44
This armour set is pretty good, the pants look dumb though. You'll need a 2 slot talisman or one slot on both your talisman and weapon for the attack up s, but it's decent even without that.

The worst part is not being able to have colour changing hair like the BuJa set but oh well.

E: Here's a more GS specific set https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/4t4lim/mhg_early_gs_set_w_fast_charge_quick_sheath/
There's one that gives crit draw instead of sheathing in the comments but it's a bit harder to make.

Herbotron fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 27, 2016

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!

Rascyc posted:

Glav is in HR3 of online, you missed him!

Rathalos armor is better IMO especially if you have an attack charm.

If you have a two slot charm you can mix Rathalos with Ceanataur and I think Bhna feet and that should get you attack+razor sharp+weak exploit but you don't really need that with GS.

I figured everyone meant to wait for Glavenus in high rank, whoops!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Although as GS you might be able to get focus by now so you might want to wait for someone to chime in on where to get that by HR4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I'm HR5 and about to fight glavenus in village. I'm still using bujabujabu, any good armor set for HBG?

• Locked thread