Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Getting really into this show called Play School lately. I just love the message it sends and finding out what's through the square window.

Oh and if you like Play School too there's this show called Thomas the Tank Engine that I watch also. It's got some great stop motion animation and again, really great messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Getting really into this show called Play School lately. I just love the message it sends and finding out what's through the square window.

Oh and if you like Play School too there's this show called Thomas the Tank Engine that I watch also. It's got some great stop motion animation and again, really great messages.

STILL TRYING WAY TOO HARD TO FIT IN

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Yeah I'm really going out of my way here.:jerkbag:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

facebook jihad posted:

I watched an episode of Rick and Morty the other night just to see what the fuss was about. It was bad.

A cartoon show nerds love actually being bad? What a surprise!

It's hit-or-miss, some episodes are great if you like meta poo poo (I love meta poo poo) but some of them are way too tryhard edgy

Swan Curry posted:

She writes children's books now

Is her webcomic now exclusively for being preachy then or what

(actually I'm thinking about it and the kids' books are probably preachy too, I mean all kids' books are really heavy-handed with their morals, that's kind of the point, but I definitely remember doing a teeny tiny eye-roll at some of them when I was little like "jesus, book, I already have a mom :rolleyes:")

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Actually I think you'll find Rick and Morty is a mature cartoon for adults because it has violence and jokes about balls and farts in it :smug: checkmate, haters.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I used to roll my eyes when people wrote about this thing they used to like but can't anymore because of the drat fanbase man ! :argh:

And then the retardo guy fawkes mask fad started and I couldn't really watch V for Vendetta anymore, so I can see where theyre coming from

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Applewhite posted:

Actually I think you'll find Rick and Morty is a mature cartoon for adults because it has violence and jokes about balls and farts in it :smug: checkmate, haters.

Lick-lick-lick my balls! Ha-ha! I say it all the time!

AIDS!

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

What the gently caress

People ruin everything. gently caress people.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Applewhite posted:

It's one of my favorite works by Dan Harmon, the other being the sophisticated HarmonQuest show where he plays knock off D&D with his friends and got tricked into giving a kobold a handjob and paying them 70 gold.

Moon Atari posted:

Pearl with a gun.

I don't actually know that piece I'm afraid.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

unpacked robinhood posted:

I used to roll my eyes when people wrote about this thing they used to like but can't anymore because of the drat fanbase man ! :argh:

And then the retardo guy fawkes mask fad started and I couldn't really watch V for Vendetta anymore, so I can see where theyre coming from

The Internet is full of dumb people; if they talk about a thing they like for long enough they will inevitably ruin it. It stands to reason.

Mad Lupine posted:

What the gently caress

People ruin everything. gently caress people.

relevant username

Mad Lupine just wanted to enjoy his dog dick in peace. He never asked for it to get all tied up in dumb fandom poo poo.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
All the kids whose real father was newgrounds eventually grew up to experiment with animated concepts where you combine a cute, crudely drawn thing like hello kitty with a dark adult topic like saying the word friend of the family

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
if you watch anything except the news and documentaries about wwii you are a child and should be ashamed

sit in a dark room and grit your teeth and ruminate about manly things like war and sports and hemorrhoid cream or nerds on the internet won't like you

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

if you watch anything except the news and documentaries about wwii you are a child and should be ashamed

sit in a dark room and grit your teeth and ruminate about manly things like war and sports and hemorrhoid cream or nerds on the internet won't like you

Try not to be a pedo about it thats all

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I mean there are plenty of different forms of entertainment out there that isn't loving children's television hth

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I think you'll find it's the other way around and nerds on the internet won't like you tell them they're weirdos consuming products designed for children.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Applewhite posted:

This sounds like Family Guy and has piqued my interest.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Wulfolme posted:

This sounds like Family Guy and has piqued my interest.

If you find the fact that Peter's chin looks like balls to be hilarious, get ready to laugh your rear end of because in Rick and Morty every alien has balls hanging off it somewhere.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Why am I so lonely and not getting everything I want instantl....oh look a cartoon.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

I started Mr Robot last night. Seems pretty good so far. The second ep. had an opening that was sooo gay for Kubrick it was cool and fun.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Rick and Morty seemed a little hit or miss but it definitely had some funny parts. What I don't get is when you get a comedy show and people examine the finer points of the over arching plot like its a drama. Even callbacks to previous characters in something like Always Sunny barely need it, so why do people talk about character arcs in poo poo like Rick and Morty and Archer and all of these nebulous 'adult' cartoon series.

Watch a show and have some laughs and that's where you should stop probably. You can buy one (1) piece of merchandise that you can wear around the house with close friends.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Panch posted:

Rick and Morty seemed a little hit or miss but it definitely had some funny parts. What I don't get is when you get a comedy show and people examine the finer points of the over arching plot like its a drama. Even callbacks to previous characters in something like Always Sunny barely need it, so why do people talk about character arcs in poo poo like Rick and Morty and Archer and all of these nebulous 'adult' cartoon series.

Watch a show and have some laughs and that's where you should stop probably. You can buy one (1) piece of merchandise that you can wear around the house with close friends.

Look at all these words I didn't read.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Panch posted:

The "character arcs" of Rick and Morty are purely a fan concoction. Iirc Dan Harmon has explicitly spoken out against any sort of arc or continuity in the show beyond a bare minimum required to maintain a coherent series.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Applewhite posted:

The "character arcs" of Rick and Morty are purely a fan concoction. Iirc Dan Harmon has explicitly spoken out against any sort of arc or continuity in the show beyond a bare minimum required to maintain a coherent series.

Yeah that's cool and good and confirms that I hate all fans of things.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
i can't even watch rick and lovely because their fans are so loving obnoxious

there's nothing undiscovered out there any more because by the time you make an episode of some bullshit you've got 800 billion dweebs making wikis and tumblrs and having fuckfights over which character does what and goodness is it feminist or not and loving christ i hate you all

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Why are you guys even visiting the wikis and Tumblr? It's not like they're posted on the screen while the show airs, or you need to access them in order to watch the show. Like, finding them takes effort and they can't be stumbled upon.

In all my time watching and enjoying Rick and Morty I have managed to do so without ever viewing a wiki or seeing more than maybe 1 or 2 items of fanart and I have no idea how this stuff could bother anyone not actively seeking it out.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I've never interacted with a "fandom" beyond dedicated SA threads and times when it leaks into general culture (see: Game of Thrones, where there's a goddamn reaction editorial on the goddamn Verge with a Feminist Reading of every goddamn episode now) and I couldn't be happier with that

The only time an SA thread got anything close to general Internet-fandom-tier material was in the case of Homestuck, where you had people C&Ping meltdowns from Tumblr in the best case and typing up big point-by-point responses to well-known Fan Speculation discussion sites in the worst case

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Applewhite posted:

Aw, I wanted to there to be deep rooted psychological effects from Morty killing that alien he rescued. :(

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Aw, I wanted to there to be deep rooted psychological effects from Morty killing that alien he rescued. :(

I think my favorite individual scene is when Summer is mad at the parents about something and Morty points out the window and shows her the unmarked grave where he once had to bury his own dead body as a way to get her to shut up and stop whining about dumb bullshit

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

loquacius posted:

I think my favorite individual scene is when Summer is mad at the parents about something and Morty points out the window and shows her the unmarked grave where he once had to bury his own dead body as a way to get her to shut up and stop whining about dumb bullshit

Rick and Morty is great because it mocks the very concept of canon, and then every so often reminds you that if they took continuity seriously, Morty would be a wreck

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Rick and Morty is funny and popular so it makes sense that people are posting about how it's crass and immature and dumb and a waste of time for babies on a forum where "I'm gay" and "cuck" had to be wordfiltered

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Applewhite posted:

Why are you guys even visiting the wikis and Tumblr?

You don't have to go looking for it. Sometimes that bullshit finds you.
Like, let's say you're looking at topics in GBS, and you see something pop up about a kinda pisswarm CN channel show your 11yr old watches. You tried watching the show with him a few times, decided it was about as entertaining as watching pancake batter get mixed, but innocuous enough that you're not worried about your 11yr old's development getting hosed up by it.
So you click the thread to see what take-the-world-too-serious goons have to say, especially when hosed with by fyad-never-take-anything-serious-hopefuls.
Then you learn that 'knotting' is a thing in that thread. And it's a thing that has overlap with skeevy adults that have to sexualize every form of childrens' media they come in contact with. You didn't have to go looking for the wikis or the tumblrs, they somehow loving found you.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

loquacius posted:

relevant username

Mad Lupine just wanted to enjoy his dog dick in peace. He never asked for it to get all tied up in dumb fandom poo poo.

Please do not mock my spirit animal.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

loquacius posted:

I dunno if Rick And Morty is suitable for kids

Sure it is (any excuse to post this).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc8uyJTDhjw

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Sometimes when you're dealing with a fuckman, you just gotta tell him to suck your dick.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i like crabcakes

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wrapping this up. Remember he is talking about children's cartoon characters.

johntfs posted:

Ethnic destiny is bullshit, but in this case it's bullshit backed up by the Gems' magic-science. Is it really so hard to believe that a Quartz/Amethyst would be made/built with the physical and mental skills to perform as a warrior with the idea that they could emerge from their hole and act in that role? That Amethyst's "basic training" took place as she was being grown in the Kindergarten? Especially given what we know about the racist/fascist nature of Homeworld?

Sure once any Gem leaves the Kindergarten, they could, theoretically, learn and do anything. A Jasper could take up knitting. A Peridot could become a poet. However, while they're growing in the Kindergarten, they get the traits and skills that Homeworld assigns to them. You can't choose your parents. Like that.

johntfs posted:

Eugenics is irrelevant because it involve breeding and genetic manipulation which Gems (mostly) don't do.

Let's say that I've made a self-driving car and a tiny device to pass me butter on the table, both of which have become intelligent. Is it racist to say that the car is better equipped to take me to the grocery store than the Butter-bot?

For all the comparisons to humans, bees and the like, Gems most closely resemble robots. They are purpose-built artificial beings who are constructed and programmed with the ability to carry out the type of tasks for which they have been built. I admit that to be "head canon" but nothing I have seen in the series or read here has persuaded me that I'm wrong. That said, Homeworld either cannot or will not erase their ability to exercise free will

johntfs posted:

It's kind of interesting to compare the themes of Steven Universe to those in Wreck-It Ralph. FYI, there's going to be some spoilers here for Wreck-It Ralph because I'm not willing to turn my post into a redacted NSA document to keep from spoiling a movie that came out three years ago. So, if you want to keep from being spoiled, just scroll the gently caress on down.

So, Wreck-It Ralph tells the story of Ralph, a video game villain who longs to be more valued for his role in his game. The movie makes no bones about the concept that hero or villain, the characters are in games designed to be entertainment for the humans playing. Ralph and his fellow villain are not evil, they're just doing their jobs. The main conflict in the movie is precipitated when Ralph, who is tired of being disrespected in his game, decides to go to another game to become a hero. While Ralph's decision ultimately helps unmask and defeat a truly evil being and right an injustice, in the end Ralph accepts his lot in game life and balance is restored to the video game universe. In Ralph's universe who you are seems to revolve very much around what you do and how well you do it.

Steven Universe takes a somewhat different tack. Individuality and freedom of choice are paramount there. What a Gem is made to do is far less important than who she is and what she chooses to be. The character of Pearl was made to be a kind of servant to higher ranking Gems. However, over her lengthy lifetime Pearl has become a talented mechanic and technician, along with being a highly skilled warrior. Moreover, Pearl's functions within the team take a backseat to her emotional relationships with the team members, who are far more family than simply a team.

Therein lies the difference between the two themes. Wreck-It Ralph tells us that everyone is important because everyone has a role to play and a job to do and everyone deserves respect because they do those jobs. Steven Universe tells us that everyone should be valued regardless of their function, that you are more than what you do.

johntfs posted:

Peridot makes up for that by being nerdorable. She has a more sour version of whatever that thing is that Felicia Day has that entrances nerds into following on Twitter and elsewhere.

Peridot is Felicia Night.

johntfs posted:

This is Something Awful, a Cluster of nerd-goons. We're nothing if not pedantic.

johntfs posted:

Pearl probably dropped acid with Timothy Leary at least once.

johntfs posted:

We haven't actually seen Gem excrement (and don't want to) but that's my take as well. Gems can mimic human bodily processes for enjoyment/some other purpose (having a Steven) if they choose to but derive no real benefit from this aside from the enjoyment/purpose.

It puts an interesting spin on Gem relationships, especially romantic one. Human live in a permanent biochemical stew of hormones, neurotransmitters and genetic predispositions. If a person finds another person to be desirable, it's generally on that basis. For humans the path to love can be said to be lust => like => love. There's an initial physical attraction followed by social compatibility that deepens to full commitment.

Gems don't have that biochemical stew within them unless they want it. For Gems the relational path seems to be like => love => lust.
A gem meets another gem/human and ends up liking that being. If they like them enough, they may choose to commit to them in love. If that happens a Gem may shift her light form in order to feel and express that love in physical terms. We call Gems "gay" or "lesbian" but the truth seems to me to be more complex. Ruby and Sapphire are lesbians in the sense that they both present as females. Sapphire is more properly "Rubysexual" and Ruby is "Sapphiresexual" because there's no indication that either of them feel any desire for anyone other than each other.

johntfs posted:

Take the lesson of bitter experience that was taught in Wander Over Yonder. Don't feed the troll. If they post pretentiously pretty pictures,look at them or not and then just scroll past. The large majority of psychologists agree that the best way to encourage positive behavior and discourage negative behavior is to praise/reward the former and ignore (as much as possible) the latter.

johntfs posted:

[In response to some guy complaining about him talking about cartoon character orgies]

I really can, but if you want to get into this, fine. I admit the example was extreme and unnecessary, but I stand by the sentiment behind it. Even if we as the audience never hear a word about it, I want the Gems to have had rich, exciting histories and to have lived intensely. I want them to have done things that might be not at all appropriate for characters in a children's cartoon to have done. Even if it remains invisible and unknown, backstories help flesh out and support characters.

You want to read something I consider to be sickening? "So, after the war had ended, Rose, Garnet, Pearl and their newfound companion, Amethyst, retired to the Temple near what would become Beach City. There, for the next 4500 years (excepting a couple of minor incidents), the Crystal Gems lived quiet lives of perfect dignity, behaving themselves and upsetting no one."

[AKA have a bunch of cartoon character orgies]

johntfs posted:

This is where I live.

I have a job in the service industry involving direct contact with the public. I have to be polite and professional. When some douche complains about all the n----r oval office Welfare Queens while he tries to buy cigarettes with food stamps, I have to be smiling and silent and say "Yes, sir, no, sir, thank you very much and come again, sir," in a tone that sounds like I mean it.

There is a church in my town that is pastored by a man who came to it because The Devil, threatened to kill him if he did not leave his previous church. So he left his previous church. And somehow this is a point of pride to him. The people in that church love their cowardly lunatic pathway to Jesus and you never really know who knows who from where. So, it's best to be quiet.

I love Steven Universe not just for the characters and stories but for what it tells me. It tells me that not all is lost. That there is hope for things to get better, because right now, on a children's cartoon progressive thought, kindness, tolerance and understand are winning. So I sometimes get overenthused and wander astray. It's not abotu sex for me. It's about freedom and power and choice, about the refutation the Gems' fictional existence represents to the people who re-elected a man who wants pregnant women to be choiceless brood mares unless it is personally inconvenient to him.

Because that's where I live.

johntfs posted:

I'm not. Some of you are seeing what you want to see. Pearl stabbing Hitler in the face with her spear isn't "appropriate for a children's cartoon character to do" but I really want to think she did it, because that would be cool. As for the sex thing, yeah, I push the boundaries there. Part of that is just a case of not quite getting when to stop typing. However, another part of it is that I know that there are plenty of people who are only too happy to pull the boundaries in as tight as they will go.

"Dude! You can't talk about gay stuff in a kid's cartoon! Think of the children, man, think of the children!"

Sometimes I push too hard. That said I'll off it and tone it down. I'm not trying to be obnoxious, unlike some people *cough*BotL*cough* I could mention. Steven Universe is a show that works so well on so many levels with its subtlety and density. It fires up my imagination and speculation so that I sometimes forget to edit and filter like I should. I'll probably forget again when the show comes back, if not sooner. If/when I do, just give me smack to remind me.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Holy gently caress this guy should kill himself

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Nirvikalpa posted:

Seriously hope that guy is not allowed around children

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Nirvikalpa posted:

Maybe he wound up re-evaluating his life after this and is much improved as a person now, perhaps he found religion and now writes Steven Universe articles for the Christian Times. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Nirvikalpa posted:

Hard to tell if he's a teenager or just a stunted adult.

• Locked thread