Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Kaysette posted:

Wizards are the best healers because no one takes damage once they shut down encounters.

Preventative medicine, yo.
\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CaptCommy posted:

Roll20 announced today that official D&D modules will be available through them now, starting with Lost Mines of Phandelver. That's pretty cool.

Then you're playing Lost Mines of Phandelver though, so ew.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Starting a game with some friends in September, the DM and I have experience but no one else does

I might end up having to roll a fighter or something, i'm not sure if we'll need someone to lead the party in a certain direction

if not i'm going with my bard, i played her in my last campaign and it was great, I was simultaneously comedic relief and the voice of reason, which was a weird line to toe

anyway here's a first draft of my character portrait, i think the fact that i drew it in paint adds to the charm

she'll play bagpipes, obviously

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Yet to meet a bard that doesn't play bagpipes tbh.

So how does a Conjuration wizard make things. My DM insists that it's basically a green lantern thing so it can't be used to conjure anything more complex than a plank of wood, and poison is right out.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Eh, it might not be the most original, but it's fun so who cares? The "official" musical instruments in the handbook aren't particularly entertaining otherwise

Honestly it's not even my first choice, but i haven't been able to figure out how to make a piano reasonably work

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jul 29, 2016

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Thumbtacks posted:

Eh, it might not be the most original, but it's fun so who cares? The "official" musical instruments in the handbook aren't particularly entertaining otherwise

Honestly it's not even my first choice, but i haven't been able to figure out how to make a piano reasonably work

Keytar.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm almost positive he'll veto that but I might make the argument that keytars are loving awesome and I don't really see a rebuttal. That just might work.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I wasn't trying to poop on your idea, it's definitely the best for a reason.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Combine Bagpipes and keytars.

A very large melodica.

Else

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jul 29, 2016

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I kind of want a giant grand piano on wheels with spikes on one side and i can ram into people while playing frantic classical pieces

but i think i'll stick with bagpipes, just because they're the funniest instrument

that, or a triangle

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Thumbtacks posted:

Starting a game with some friends in September, the DM and I have experience but no one else does

I might end up having to roll a fighter or something, i'm not sure if we'll need someone to lead the party in a certain direction

if not i'm going with my bard, i played her in my last campaign and it was great, I was simultaneously comedic relief and the voice of reason, which was a weird line to toe

anyway here's a first draft of my character portrait, i think the fact that i drew it in paint adds to the charm

she'll play bagpipes, obviously
Fingerguns and Dreamworks face? You monster.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
She has a limp and only sits in chairs if she can spin them around and sit on them backwards like a coach giving the team a pep talk. The little details are the fun ones.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

You're all missing the obvious choice. The accordion. It even straps to your chest so you don't have to drop it to cast spells.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Dear god you're playing Girl Riker

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
That's...weirdly accurate, actually. And completely unintentional.

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 29, 2016

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It was not a criticism!

(In case you were unaware, Riker's devil-may-care seat stylings were due to Jonathan Fakes having back issues.)

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I always wondered about that. I assumed it was a weird character nuance he decided to have.

I played a basically identical character last time I played (sans limp, she was a spy and I figured a limp would hinder my ability to disguise myself or what have you), and the other three players were a dwarf with a sense of honor and justice, and two guys competing to see who could be the edgiest, they always said little to nothing and stayed in the shadows. Which is where I got the bagpipe idea, I bought some on a whim and used them to continually ruin moments of dramatic tension the two edgelords kept trying to stir up.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Our party is currently a half orc cleric of Thor who is a former sailor, an elf bear totem barbarian who was raised by wolves and hosed a bear, allegedly, and my infernal pact warlock, who worships Satan, but not in the edgelord sense. Every cult of Satan I've come across is a New Age, healing crystals Enya enthusiast group, that every now and then will have a bloodsplosion as a demon appears and randomly sacrifices an attendee, and no one seems to notice or care this happens.

The best character is out of commission though. He is a fire genasi dragon sorceror with a green dragon ancestor that refuses to believe earth magic exists, despite the fact we interact with druids on a regular basis. He is also a foot tall, and an ancient blue dragon otaku demanded we gave the genasi to him so he could complete his Doki Doki! Genasi! figure collection. We were about to die, so we surrendered him to the dragon, and he gave us some magical cosplay props from the last con he went to. We're waiting for him to escape again, as this isn't the first time his tiny fire man has been captured as an amusing trinket.

We are managing to have fun in spite of the system, it feels weird.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

TheWyrmDude posted:

We are managing to have fun in spite of the system, it feels weird.

This tagline should be on the back of the books.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Summon Instrument (Pipe Organ)

A 2000 pipe organ appears installed in a suitable nearby surface. If no surface is present the spells instead summons a tin whistle and a pair of bongos. The pipes are pumped by an elderly man (Geoff) in a flat cap. Geoff is immortal, but will do nothing but pump the bellows or, if asked nicely, provide situation-appropriate sheet music.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

goatface posted:

A 2000 pipe organ appears installed in a suitable nearby surface. If no surface is present the spells instead summons a tin whistle and a pair of bongos. The pipes are pumped by an elderly man (Geoff) in a flat cap. Geoff is immortal, but will do nothing but pump the bellows or, if asked nicely, provide situation-appropriate sheet music.

He will however put on a nasty face if you pronounce his name Gee-off

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

djw175 posted:

And Jiff is right out.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

djw175 posted:

It's pronounced "Geoff."

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Thumbtacks posted:

Functional piano key necktie.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Singing or oratory are the best bard "instruments" because your hands are completely free and your dm can pull any bullshit.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Screamcore

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

goatface posted:

Motivation - "The spirit of the bellows MUST be appeased!"

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Wanna make a bard luchador with a Dia de Meurtos themed skeleton mariachi band as his hype crew. He will sing enrapturing serenades to inspire people, and rousing speeches to his enemies as he gives them a hurricanrana while wreathed in flame.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The skeleton based economy strikes again.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

They will be paid a livable wage for their services.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You could use angels. They must have a load of trainees who aren't good enough yet to sing and play in a proper heavenly host. Hire them on the cheap as they learn their trade, give them a day out. They don't have to be fully there, they can astrally project. Translucent presences you can direct with a baton.

Would probably put some enemies off too. Bunch of teenage angels ghosting into their lair and playing mariachi music.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm thinking about my bard more and I just realized I've never played a class with spell slots or cantrips or anything, I don't even know how they mechanically work.

How exactly do those work with bards? Am I expected to solely cast poo poo (and heal, probably) or am I going to be stabbing/beating things to death with weapons and/or my instrument of choice? Presumably if I roll with bagpipes I probably shouldn't try and beat people with them, that will go poorly. Probably a crossbow. Since bagpipes are two handed am I gonna need to swap to it a turn before I need to cast something? People seem to have different opinions on this, at least online.

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 29, 2016

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Your cantrips can pretty much be your basic way to fight poo poo while your spells are complete momentum changers. Early on it's better to just chill in the back and play your harmonica magically or whatever, but you can just do you and chase your bliss if it's stabbing dudes instead.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Thumbtacks posted:

I'm thinking about my bard more and I just realized I've never played a class with spell slots or cantrips or anything, I don't even know how they mechanically work.

How exactly do those work with bards? Am I expected to solely cast poo poo (and heal, probably) or am I going to be stabbing/beating things to death with weapons and/or my instrument of choice? Presumably if I roll with bagpipes I probably shouldn't try and beat people with them, that will go poorly. Probably a crossbow. Since bagpipes are two handed am I gonna need to swap to it a turn before I need to cast something? People seem to have different opinions on this, at least online.

Spell slots are just a representation of how many spells you can cast of a certain level of power per long rest. There's no reason you can't use a weapon and in fact frequently will have to if you run our of spell slots that day or don't have a spell that is useful for the exact situation you're in.

As an example, magic missile is a first-level spell, and let's say you currently have three first-level spell slots and two second-level spell slot. If you cast Magic Missile once, you expend one of those first level spell slots and can now cast a first-level spell only two more times that long rest (with limited class-specific exceptions where you can regain some spell slots without a long rest.) Some spells like magic missile can also be cast at levels above first level for extra damage or effect, so you can choose to burn one of your two second-level spell slots as well to get an extra missile.

Cantrips are weaker at-will spells that have no spell slots, you can cast an unlimited number per day.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Cantrips are the caster version of "I attack," except casters also get actual spells to do cool poo poo with

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
oh, i see. alright cool, thanks friends

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
It also depends heavily on what KIND of bard you are. Valor bards will want to join the fray with a polearm as their bread and butter (or stand in the back with a crossbow); a lore bard is more likely to stay in the back and use Vicious Mockery. If you don't plan on using a weapon as much (ie: bagpipes), go Lore and grab said Mockery cantrip.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

404notfound posted:

Cantrips are the caster version of "I attack," except casters also get actual spells to do cool poo poo with

Casters also get multiple cantrips, and they tend to be interesting than just attacking as well. Shocking Grasps is "I attack, my roll has advantage if the target wears metal, and the jerk can't make an attack of opportunity when I run for it after I hit". Thorn Whip is "I attack, and get to do an impersonation of Scorpion as I pull the target closer".

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 30, 2016

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Vanguard Warden posted:

Cantrips also get multiple cantrips, and they tend to be interesting than just attacking as well. Shocking Grasps is "I attack, my roll has advantage if the target wears metal, and the jerk can't make an attack of opportunity when I run for it after I hit". Thorn Whip is "I attack, and get to do an impersonation of Scorpion as I pull the target closer".

5e badly needs something along the lines of weapon specializations from Basic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

KingKalamari posted:

5e badly needs something along the lines of weapon specializations from Basic.

Someone volunteer to make a 6e project built on the combined library of TSR BECMI/2e books the way 5e was built on WotC editions.