Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

VERY COOL MAN posted:

hhv and vinyl-digital are both german record shops that sell bootlegs; they don't sell bootlegs exclusively but the fact that they're pretty much the only places that you can order this pressing from (or at least the first to stock it) and the fact that the catalog number, etc. are identical to the 2012 press are pretty damning evidence. that said german bootlegs are of generally high quality and i bought the poo poo out of this

Hmmm, so they must still be using the XL plates with the missing samples then. Was wondering which version of the album they'd be using. We'll never get a complete version of this record!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

caligulamprey posted:

I didn't even see the thing about the remastering. Wonder how that'll pan out.

I have a friend who's a huge This Heat fan who hadn't heard the Camberwell Now material. Bugs me that they slipped through the cracks almost entirely.

The Ghost Trade is an album I'll throw on whenever I'm in the mood for Some Motherfuckin' Drums:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofXF-CyOsAo

I completely missed this era of music and holy poo poo is it so good. I don't have the money for these issues but ughhhhhhhhhhhh

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Completely esoteric bullshit, but I'm pretty happy:

Just missing one 7" to complete the discography. Saw Queer Salutations on sale for like $100 a month ago and balked at the price. Saw it again a couple weeks ago and bought it for $35. Gotta love discogs.com sometimes.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

lu_ducky posted:

Hmmm, so they must still be using the XL plates with the missing samples then. Was wondering which version of the album they'd be using. We'll never get a complete version of this record!

people who already have a copy have said that it's an unmolested version of frontier psychiatrist, at least, which means it may very well be pressed from lossless digital like most other german boots. in any case my copy will be delivered by friday and i'll post a trip report when i have time

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone picked up the Melvins Stoner Witch, Stag or Houdini represses? Wondering how they sound.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Vinestalk posted:

Just missing one 7" to complete the discography. Saw Queer Salutations on sale for like $100 a month ago and balked at the price. Saw it again a couple weeks ago and bought it for $35. Gotta love discogs.com sometimes.

this is good poo poo

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Enos Cabell posted:

Anyone picked up the Melvins Stoner Witch, Stag or Houdini represses? Wondering how they sound.

I picked up the Houdini reissue and it was plenty clean and clear on the audio front. There's good space in the recording and those heavy songs feel like they have some good weight to them. I'm pretty satisfied with the Houdini release at least. Stoner Witch is on the list for the next pickup.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

lu_ducky posted:

I picked up the Houdini reissue and it was plenty clean and clear on the audio front. There's good space in the recording and those heavy songs feel like they have some good weight to them. I'm pretty satisfied with the Houdini release at least. Stoner Witch is on the list for the next pickup.

Cool, think I'm gonna go snag all three.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Vinestalk posted:

Congrats

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
I'm just starting to collect a few vinyls.

I was planning on only getting a select few from albums I've loved for many years, but I saw this randomly and decided to get it:

The album is pretty snazzy!

TeamJesus fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 3, 2016

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
We need some loving Hum represses because holy poo poo poo poo's way to expensive for original pressings.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Anybody here buy from Collectors Choice? They do a lot of reissues, special editions, and box sets of vinyl.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I've actually bought some CDs from them, not any records though

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Dogen posted:

I've actually bought some CDs from them, not any records though

So did I back in the 90s. I got a neat 8-disc set of "One Hit Wonders" from Europe. It had songs on it I hadn't heard in 20-30 years.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
WHAT A HORRIBLE DAY TO HAVE A VINYL HABIT

But what's this on the back??

Symphony of the Night soundtrack?? :getin:

Also, these fuckers are basically going to rob me this week too:

Twin Peaks Original Score

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
I moved heavy poo poo today.

They also conveniently provide more horizontal surfaces for stacking poo poo on top of.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Oh poo poo are those la scalas? How are they?

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
[quote="Peas and Rice" post="462974608"]

But what's this on the back??

Ooh la la, want Dracula's Curse and Simon's Quest.

The map artwork on that on you got is pretty awesome:

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Is this the same as the existing 90s release? Except cheaper? Which is surprising for a Mondo release...

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

703 posted:

Ooh la la, want Dracula's Curse and Simon's Quest.

The map artwork on that on you got is pretty awesome:

Yeah, the map art is part of what convinced me to get that album. The only one I don't care about in that series is Super Castlevania IV but I might as well get the entire set, right?

Also, I'd give an internal organ or two to get goat's unchosen paths (Dracula's Curse done in a hard rock style) on vinyl. But it's a fan-made release so that'll happen about never.

Giga Gaia posted:

Is this the same as the existing 90s release? Except cheaper? Which is surprising for a Mondo release...

It looks like it. TP is my favorite Lynch / Badalamenti score so that's an instabuy even before the awesome art design and gimmicky color vinyl.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It's absolutely horseshit that the Twin Peaks record isn't black as midnight on a moonless night

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Giga Gaia posted:

Peas and Rice posted:

Yeah, the map art is part of what convinced me to get that album. The only one I don't care about in that series is Super Castlevania IV but I might as well get the entire set, right?

Also, I'd give an internal organ or two to get goat's unchosen paths (Dracula's Curse done in a hard rock style) on vinyl. But it's a fan-made release so that'll happen about never.

It looks like it. TP is my favorite Lynch / Badalamenti score so that's an instabuy even before the awesome art design and gimmicky color vinyl.

It's a reprint approved by Lynch and Badalamenti, and Mondo said there is no super special colored edition for this one, so everyone gets the same thing.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The resurgence of vinyl has led to Rust in Peace getting reissued. Hopefully it ain't the remastered versions.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Barry posted:

Oh poo poo are those la scalas? How are they?

I absolutely love them. Just been playing a few hot stamper / TAS / MFSL bullshit records I have for fun and can't get enough of them. What's crazy was I was actually setting up a road trip this weekend to drive like 2 hours to demo/buy a pair of Klipsch Belles but then the La Scalas popped up on CL for like less than half the price and 15 minutes away. It'd been nice to have Belles but I ain't mad.

Original AA crossovers, so I'll probably need to rebuild them to change the caps but no big rush.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

JehovahsWetness posted:

I absolutely love them. Just been playing a few hot stamper / TAS / MFSL bullshit records I have for fun and can't get enough of them. What's crazy was I was actually setting up a road trip this weekend to drive like 2 hours to demo/buy a pair of Klipsch Belles but then the La Scalas popped up on CL for like less than half the price and 15 minutes away. It'd been nice to have Belles but I ain't mad.

Original AA crossovers, so I'll probably need to rebuild them to change the caps but no big rush.

Holy balls, those are some serious loving speakers.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Alec Eiffel posted:

The resurgence of vinyl has led to Rust in Peace getting reissued. Hopefully it ain't the remastered versions.

Any info on this? The closest thing I can find to a current release (beyond a picture disc pressed a couple years ago) is https://www.musicdirect.com/store/megadeth-rust-in-peace-limited-edition-180g-vinyl-lp which states it's a remaster of the original mix, which is horseshit, because he rerecorded half the record the last time he went to remix it because the master tapes were missing.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Allen Wren posted:

Any info on this? The closest thing I can find to a current release (beyond a picture disc pressed a couple years ago) is https://www.musicdirect.com/store/megadeth-rust-in-peace-limited-edition-180g-vinyl-lp which states it's a remaster of the original mix, which is horseshit, because he rerecorded half the record the last time he went to remix it because the master tapes were missing.

drat. Well, nevermind!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

JehovahsWetness posted:

That's so awesome, I'm jealous. If at some point I move into a singe family home and have some more space for some big rear end speakers, I'd like to try out the Klipschorn/La Scala/Belles. My current mains are some Klipsch KLF-20's and they've treated me very well over a period of about 15 years.

Right Brigade
Aug 11, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

The stereo master tapes weren't missing; it was some of the multi-track tapes. All the 2004 Megadeth reissue CDs were new mixdowns from the multi-track tapes. I can confirm the Capitol Vault 180g Rust in Peace is the original 1990 mix. I've read the newer picture disc is sourced from the 2004 remixed, re-recorded abomination, though.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Right Brigade posted:

The stereo master tapes weren't missing; it was some of the multi-track tapes. All the 2004 Megadeth reissue CDs were new mixdowns from the multi-track tapes. I can confirm the Capitol Vault 180g Rust in Peace is the original 1990 mix. I've read the newer picture disc is sourced from the 2004 remixed, re-recorded abomination, though.

Oh, brilliant, this is exactly the sort of info I was looking for.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Is there any reason to go for a turntable with a belt over something with a direct drive?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Is there any reason to go for a turntable with a belt over something with a direct drive?

Nope.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Motor noise and vibration are the most common side effects for DD you'll see mentioned. As to how much this actually factors into your enjoyment depends on how much audiophile kool aid you've drank. I think every turntable I've ever owned had been DD and it's not something I've ever worried about.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My DD turntable is over 30 years old and I've never had an issue with it. No noticeable motor noise or anything.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I think they've changed the design of DD turntables to make those issues not happen anymore

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Anyone ever install an Ortofon 2m Blue? Any tips?

I keep reading about how dudes are ripping cables out during installation and that has me freaked out on doing it myself.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i found a copy of tender prey at a flea market and i bought it

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I got Rust in Peace. It's the original. It's awesome!!

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Davincie posted:

i found a copy of tender prey at a flea market and i bought it

drat...nice find

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
A crappy record store near me had the Lush box set from Record Store Day lying around. Here are some download codes if anyone wants them.