Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Golden Goat posted:

I never did the emblem stuff, just the main story. It's like Mario where it's just random missions to get an emblem, right?

there's five emblems per level, one for finishing and then the other four are always Get 100 Rings/Find the Lost Chao/Finish in X Minutes/Hard Mode

also there's emblems for getting all A ranks and emblems for the chao garden stuff but those are easy to cheat at with the mythical animals and animal reuse glitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

My island in phantom brave is getting a bit crowded

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYHXUylYJy8

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I went into a weird rabbit hole of playing Adventure Island games because... I dunno. I just need to beat the last world of AI2 which thankfully has a world select so I don't have to leave the drat console on to continue from where I left off.

Maybe I will finish I am Setsuna one of these days but I also got into Gotta Protectors and horse solitaire game so...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't know why but I played a lot of Adventure Island 2 on the NES, I wound up renting it like a dozen times as a kid for whatever reason. I think I just really liked the dinosaur companions you could ride.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

What do you think of Final Fantasy 12 IZJS?
I'm not really far enough in for it to be any different from regular FF12. I'm a big fan of vanilla FF12, but it'll be nice for the optimal strategy not to be "every character has tons of white magic and powerful melee attacks."

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I don't know why but I played a lot of Adventure Island 2 on the NES, I wound up renting it like a dozen times as a kid for whatever reason. I think I just really liked the dinosaur companions you could ride.

Same, though as with most NES games I was insanely bad at it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

i ended up switching to gen2 because the gen1 catch rate is heinous. i randomized types but i'm thinking of starting over without randomized types because that can be a pain.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm pretty hype for multilayer coming back to Rock Band

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm playing through Dark Souls 1 with my brother using a connectivity mod, and it works very well.

The first half of the game is still undoubtedly the finest the series has ever been. Even Blighttown felt fun to traverse, even as my brother and I got into each other's way a lot on the thin platforms.

A few times we got invaded by players who could kill us in one hit but only took about an eighth of their health in damage from one of our own backstabs. poo poo's annoying, and we feel no shame in Alt-F4ing

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm not really far enough in for it to be any different from regular FF12. I'm a big fan of vanilla FF12, but it'll be nice for the optimal strategy not to be "every character has tons of white magic and powerful melee attacks."

It doesn't change strategies too drastically but it does remove that "Master of all Trades" feeling the original system had.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

Maybe you are all babies. Goon Babies.

What's everybody playing this week?

I finished up Ys VIII last night and spent this morning trying to 100% the map but I think I missed some side stuff that opens up the final area because I don't know a single word of Japanese and just guessed at all the sidequests in the game and failed like half of them (time limited, sadly). Im going to finish Ys Origin and Fire Emblem Revelations today hopefully. Then maybe Pokemon X because the Sun/Moon info has got me itching for some Pokemon.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

I really liked that Mad Max game, for what it was.

Same. It got me to do a watch-through of the movies for the first time in years last week, which ended up being the first time my wife watched Beyond Thunderdome. There was a lot of "so that's where this pop culture reference comes from."

As for current gen stand-outs, I'd say the big ones for me have been Bloodborne, Nuclear Throne, Bravely Default/Second, Link Between Worlds, Destiny (yeah eventually I got sick of the garbage but I put a good 200 hours into it and enjoyed it for what it was), Xenoblade Chronicles X, and entries in long series that I never tried before now like Total War: Warhammer and Monster Hunter 4.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 2, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Posting from the dentists office. About to get a tooth pulled :ohdear:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

In Training posted:

I finished up Ys VIII last night and spent this morning trying to 100% the map but I think I missed some side stuff that opens up the final area because I don't know a single word of Japanese and just guessed at all the sidequests in the game and failed like half of them (time limited, sadly). Im going to finish Ys Origin and Fire Emblem Revelations today hopefully. Then maybe Pokemon X because the Sun/Moon info has got me itching for some Pokemon.

Ohhhh I liked Ys VII, what's the new one like?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

precision posted:

Hopefully they give you happy pills to make it not so bad. Last time I needed teeth removed, it took all of 2 minutes once the anesthetic set in because the teeth (two wisdom teeth) came out in one piece each. They gave me a small vicodin scrip, I went back to work in the morning, and in a couple days I was pretty much back to 100%.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bloodychill posted:

Hopefully they give you happy pills to make it not so bad. Last time I needed teeth removed, it took all of 2 minutes once the anesthetic set in because the teeth (two wisdom teeth) came out in one piece each. They gave me a small vicodin scrip, I went back to work in the morning, and in a couple days I was pretty much back to 100%.

Yeah the anesthetic just set in, my whole face is numb. Those needles were the stuff of nightmares. I'm supposed to go straight to work after its done. Vicodin owns

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

precision posted:

Do it like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4_PoPHKdUk

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Oh man that reminds me. I was playing Death Road to Canada with the BF and it's new to us and we played one run that ended in a horrible sewer accident.

So for the second run we decided to create custom characters of ourselves and literally first event that happens is he has a bad tooth and has to remove it somehow, thing is he's had a horrible time with dentists specifically one that diced up his tooth but failed to remove everything and it really hosed him up. Having a similar horrible in-game event happen to his character was both pretty funny and freaked him out a bit. His character died afterwards in a mall cause he lost a lot of health ripping that tooth out with a plier.

My character died later on because we wanted to train guns at a shooting range with the lights off. It was a short run.

His teeth are fine now I got him to go through a whole treatment plan last year but he still hates the dentist.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm playing Abzu today and oh my god is it lovely

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

Ohhhh I liked Ys VII, what's the new one like?

The gameplay is fantastic, they've hit their stride with the party system by cutting down on the bloat and making a smaller cast where every character is extremely fun to play. It's the biggest Ys game yet, the world is huge with lots of sidequests (about a 40 hour game which is crazy). I had a blast with it but there are parts of the game that are straight up 60+ minutes of bad cutscenes and dialogue that really don't need to exist which is a shame. I'll be buying the English version next year and getting the platinum for sure.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like the Ys party-based games, but my greatest criticism of both VII and Celceta was that they are incredibly easy if you have any sort of inventory of healing items on hand. Obviously you could just not use them or not gather them, but I've never been a fan of intentionally handicapping yourself to make up for a game's lack of challenge. If it's in the game I'm using it. Does Ys VIII still have that issue or maybe they do something like limit how much you can use in say a boss fight? If I were running the show I'd make it so that you can use one healing item and then you're locked out until either the fight is over or you die, and balance the fights around that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What are the new Ys games most similar to anyway I remember playing the first two or three and they were like side-scrolling and really simple I don't know maybe my memory is busted

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Secret of Mana?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

In Training posted:

Then maybe Pokemon X because the Sun/Moon info has got me itching for some Pokemon.

i'm doing the same rn, it's fun

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

precision posted:

What are the new Ys games most similar to anyway I remember playing the first two or three and they were like side-scrolling and really simple I don't know maybe my memory is busted

The older ones are like 2D Zelda combat only with very few puzzles/exploration and running at 3x speed, the newer ones are still sort of that but have multiple characters and a few other gimmicks.
There's surprisingly little actually like them.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Jonas Albrecht posted:

So, we're about halfway through Generation 8 of Consoles, how's everyone feeling about it? Are video games still good? Is this the last gen? What are the standout titles?

I got really into simulation games this year. I'm looking forward to {url=http://www.beforegame.net/]Before[/url], a game where you look after a tribe of cavemen. It looks relaxing and fun, and I hope it is good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

I like the Ys party-based games, but my greatest criticism of both VII and Celceta was that they are incredibly easy if you have any sort of inventory of healing items on hand. Obviously you could just not use them or not gather them, but I've never been a fan of intentionally handicapping yourself to make up for a game's lack of challenge. If it's in the game I'm using it. Does Ys VIII still have that issue or maybe they do something like limit how much you can use in say a boss fight? If I were running the show I'd make it so that you can use one healing item and then you're locked out until either the fight is over or you die, and balance the fights around that.

You can still heal spam your way through a boss but personally I just didnt use healing items during boss fights. i personally like when games have that option because you can just ignore it to challenge yourself and people who dont want to bother can lessen teh difficulty as they see fit. like in all the post-SOTN castlevania games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It took nearly 6 months but I fininshed Fire Emblem. What an awesome package of games.

Casual breaks the game design kinda but theres no way in hell I would have been able to clear Lunatic Classic (im not that good at FE) so it was a unique challenge level.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
I just bought a 1080 for like £580 (it was a good one) but then was wondering about the new consoles and that if they were like every 3 years for 350-400 would that stop me upgrading my PC anymore since I would normally get a new PC every 3-5 years.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

You can still heal spam your way through a boss but personally I just didnt use healing items during boss fights. i personally like when games have that option because you can just ignore it to challenge yourself and people who dont want to bother can lessen teh difficulty as they see fit. like in all the post-SOTN castlevania games.

I like when you eat the peanut in SOTN Alucard throws it in the air and you have to hold up to catch it with his mouth and it heals like 1hp

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i've been playing a lot of yoshi's island lately.

i know it's not really a new game, but it's still fun.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Instant Sunrise posted:

Fun don't need to be new.

I played more Zero Time Dilemma and Holy poo poo Mira's backstory is nuts

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

I like when you eat the peanut in SOTN Alucard throws it in the air and you have to hold up to catch it with his mouth and it heals like 1hp

I hate that I know that it heals 80 and feel the need to correct you.

Also you can infinitely farm them out of the upside down succubus boss fight room which is why I've done the Galamoth boss fight healing only with peanuts.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Instant Sunrise posted:

one of my all-time favorite games ever. good choice imo

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's never a bad time to play Yoshi's Island.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Phantasium posted:

I hate that I know that it heals 80 and feel the need to correct you.

Also you can infinitely farm them out of the upside down succubus boss fight room which is why I've done the Galamoth boss fight healing only with peanuts.

Oh, that's a pretty non-trivial amount of HP. I'm glad I was wrong.

You are better at SOTN than I am because I can't beat Galamoth without Beryl Circlet abuse :saddowns:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Phantasium posted:

It's never a bad time to play Yoshi's Island.

touch fuzzy get dizzy, best level.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Instant Sunrise posted:

touch fuzzy get dizzy, best level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl3gm_TDdaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Oh, that's a pretty non-trivial amount of HP. I'm glad I was wrong.

You are better at SOTN than I am because I can't beat Galamoth without Beryl Circlet abuse :saddowns:

My most stupid killing of him involved the Gravity Boots to go through his arms while he's doing the lightning attack with his arm outstretched since you're invincible while you're doing a high jump, and then jump kicking off his head which takes more damage.

• Locked thread