Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

LemonyTang posted:

Owen Smith: We've gotta heel the Labour party.

He's got a thing about that, huh.

I think he might be talking cobblers? :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

haakman posted:

Tech minded UKMT goons i need your advice.
Just moved house. Use BT both before and after. Move to the new place on 24th July. BT state we won't be on broadband until 24th August! There is an existing connection but previous tenant didn't cancel their connection and therefore we have to wait 4 weeks... apparently this is due to procedure rather than technical issue - as if the previous tenant contacted them it would take 24 hours.

We can't get Virgin and I can't get anything from BT on the phone - they simply won't budge. Any tips/magic words for BT to get a wriggle on?

The previous tenant moved out 4 months ago.

Technically no, that's how it is. If you can get through to a manager of some sort who had the authority to bypass it and are really charming you might get some luck but I doubt that's gonna happen. I had to wait once and my old man worked for BT.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Getting a little bit bored of Owen just saying 'We've got to win Jeremy!'

I realise that's basically his strongest attack but come on....

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

haakman posted:

Just moved house. Use BT both before and after. Move to the new place on 24th July. BT state we won't be on broadband until 24th August! There is an existing connection but previous tenant didn't cancel their connection and therefore we have to wait 4 weeks... apparently this is due to procedure rather than technical issue - as if the previous tenant contacted them it would take 24 hours.

We can't get Virgin and I can't get anything from BT on the phone - they simply won't budge. Any tips/magic words for BT to get a wriggle on?

That happened to me a couple of years ago. We asked the landlord if he could get in touch with the previous tenant and get them to cancel, but weirdly he didn't seem that interested in helping. I ended up calling and pretending to be the tenant to cancel, and it worked out.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

haakman posted:

You are going to have to wait the 4 weeks, its a strict regulated by OFCOM policy that Openreach can't touch.

Just identify what mobile broadband you can get in the area and use one if them; either via a mobile hotspot, via your router if it can use a dongle, etc. Mobile broadband has dramatically dropped in price in the past couple of years and now is affordable for normal use.

ukle fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 4, 2016

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

quote:

Labour officials have begun sending out lists of “registered supporters”, the people who have forked out 25 quid to take part in the party’s leadership election, in an effort to weed out anyone who is deemed not be a “genuine Labour supporter”. And according to a senior figure in the Labour Party in Croydon, “This includes, for example, anyone who tweeted that they voted Green in the 2015 General Election.

A lot of wasted £25 quids there. They're also banning anyone that uses blairite.

http://www.thecanary.co/2016/08/04/use-one-simple-word-labour-will-now-ban-leadership-election-vote/

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

serious gaylord posted:

A lot of wasted £25 quids there. They're also banning anyone that uses blairite.

http://www.thecanary.co/2016/08/04/use-one-simple-word-labour-will-now-ban-leadership-election-vote/
Corbynista is literally the same as Blairite lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Are they going to start stalking people who didn't put their Twitter/Facebook on the form?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

namesake posted:

Still the next leadership debate when Jeremy is to be replaced is going to be hilarious because this just a major swing left from previous ones.

It'll swing right back around because there's no way another hard left candidate will get nominated.

Unless Labour does so badly in the GE that the 20 or so super-safe hard left seats comprise 20% of the PLP. I guess that could be Corbyn's master plan.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

serious gaylord posted:

Can't see why it would happen but if I get barred I did pay on my credit card so in theory could do a charge back.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Just catching up on this date and Corbyn is far too polite, just letting Owen waffle along.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Funny that Labor is now known as the anti-semite 'bad guy' party. Good thing Thatcher loved Jews.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Smith was pretty bad. Not directly answering the nationalisation question for example, even though he's given some good answers at Q&As even only yesterday. Not sure why he didn't level criticisms at Jeremy's use of by-elections and local elections as evidence of growing support/'victories', that poo poo is ridiculous to hear from JC himself. Also not why Smith didn't directly criticise the (widely recognised) lack of an effective media strategy etc.

Jeremy by contrast was mostly pretty cool, good on his policy detail. I wish he had been so clear for the last 9 months.

My god though that audience was loving embarrassing.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 4, 2016

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Also did this get posted yet http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/02/the-perils-of-being-a-duke-nosy-tourists-at-your-castle/

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

haakman posted:

If your account is active search for the BT-FON network and enter your BT details. Our neighbour's signal is often better than our own router.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

El Grillo posted:

Smith was pretty bad. Not directly answering the nationalisation question for example, even though he's given some good answers at Q&As even only yesterday. Not sure why he didn't level criticisms at Jeremy's use of by-elections and local elections as evidence of growing support/'victories', that poo poo is ridiculous to hear from JC himself. Also not why Smith didn't directly criticise the (widely recognised) lack of an effective media strategy etc.

Hint: it's because he's rubbish, even at the PR thing that is supposed to be his principal advantage over Corbyn.

Noxville fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 4, 2016

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

El Grillo posted:

Sorry that you've had the blindfold pulled away from your eyes and now have to realise, like the rest of us, that Owen Smith is an empty suit and his chances of winning a general election are at best as small as Corbyn's. But the truth can be liberating.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

El Grillo posted:

Jeremy by contrast was mostly pretty cool, good on his policy detail. I wish he had been so clear for the last 9 months.

My god though that audience was loving embarrassing.

Consider the possibility that corbyn did OK but not like fantastic and that in a debate against May, Smith would be entirely dismantled.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Also I know nobody likes the D word, but the Labour right should probably consider that Jeremy Corbyn will continue to be prominent in the party until MPs that aren't totally hated by their CLPs make up the bulk of the party. There's really only one way you get there from here.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

So the Bristol renting market is awful, particularly for one beds.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

30.5 Days posted:

Also I know nobody likes the D word, but the Labour right should probably consider that Jeremy Corbyn will continue to be prominent in the party until MPs that aren't totally hated by their CLPs make up the bulk of the party. There's really only one way you get there from here.

Dickings?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

30.5 Days posted:

Naw man haven't you heard, Chakrabarti is only up for a peerage because she covered up labour anti-Semitism in that report.

Ugh I thought you were exaggerating but jeez https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/aug/04/shami-chakrabarti-peerage-labour-tensions-corbyn

If there's one person Labour could justify putting in the upper house it'd be her. At least the stupidest voices are coming from without the Labour party:

quote:

The Board of Deputies of British Jews, the leading group representing the Jewish community, also criticised the decision, as it was not happy with the antisemitism report. Marie van der Zyl, its vice-president, said: “It is beyond disappointing that Shami Chakrabarti has been offered, and accepted, a peerage from Labour following her so-called ‘independent’ inquiry.

“The report, which was weak in several areas, now seems to have been rewarded with an honour. This ‘whitewash for peerages’ is a scandal that surely raises serious questions about the integrity of Ms Chakrabarti, her inquiry and the Labour leadership.”

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JoylessJester posted:

So the Bristol renting market is awful, particularly for one beds.

i could have told you that

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

drat, that's a pretty rage-stirring article.

quote:

The Duchess has previously spoken of how she attempted to keep the family grounded during their privileged upbringing, buying a separate Aga to make sure the children learned how to cook for themselves.

“I wanted a normal life for them,” she said. “I hated the idea of their growing up not being able to do anything from themselves.

“So although the cook has her own kitchen down the corridor, it was important that we had our own Aga somewhere.

quote:

In an interview with Tatler, the society magazine, he said: “It didn’t really work because we couldn’t get in or out without going through crowds.

“And because we lived in the keep, there were no private gardens, so the children just ended up staying inside the whole time.”

Instead, the family moved to a private residence in the Scottish borders for the summer, allowing around 600,000 curious tourists to visit Alnwick, before returning for the winter.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Child sex abuse inquiry: Dame Lowell Goddard resigns as head of independent investigation posted:

Dame Lowell Goddard has resigned as head of the independent inquiry into child sexual abuse, the Home Secretary has said.

The embattered New Zealander became the third chair of the inquiry to resign after controversy over holidays and comments she made about not understanding English law.

The high court judge was appointed as chair of the inquiry by then-Home Secretary Theresa May after the two previous charis were forced to stand down over their links to establishment figures.

Home Secretary Amber Rudd said in a statement: "I can confirm that Dame Lowell Goddard wrote to me today to offer her resignation as Chair of the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse and I have accepted.

"I want to assure everyone with an interest in the inquiry, particularly victims and survivors, that the work of the inquiry will continue without delay and a new chair will be appointed.
"I would like to thank Dame Lowell Goddard for the contribution she has made in setting up the inquiry so that it may continue to go about its vital work."

Justice Goddard, who is Britain's highest paid civil servant, worked for 44 days in New Zealand and Australia since taking up her role in April last year, The Times reported.
This is in addition to her 30 days of annual leave - which equates to three working months outside the UK.

The inquiry, which was originally set up in 2014, has been long-set by delays following changes of chairwomen and the postponement of public hearings into several politician figures while police investigations are under way.

Justice Goddard also raised eyebrows by saying she was unsure of English law when she was asked about the delays caused by police investigations and did not seem to know whether her investigation should take priority.

When Ms May reconstructed the inquiry in March 2015, she gave it statutory powers which means it can compel any British citizen to give evidence.

The 67-year-old receives a basic salary of £360,000 a year but could receive more than £5 million in pay and perks as the inquiry could potentially last a decade, as a lawyer for the victim warned The Telegraph last week.

These perks include £40,000 worth of flights from the UK to New Zealand for her and her husband, an annual £110,000 rental allowance and £12,000 per year for utility bills.

The investigation has already cost £18m and 100 fresh allegations are made to it every week - a quarter of which are forwarded onto the police - but no evidence has yet been heard.

Source: Indy

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
loving hell that's a poo poo show

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

JFairfax posted:

loving hell that's a poo poo show

It's almost as if people are being appointed to head this inquiry who, for one reason or another, aren't fit for the task. That's three now.

Hmmm.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Chucat posted:

This is getting a bit irritating.

Reply with "I'm voting Corbyn mate"

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I will grant permission to use lad as an alternative

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/761319556031864832

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'd probably be a bit cagey about telling them how you're going to vote given how many people they're trying to disenfranchise.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

That's a gained Council seat for Labour I'm assuming

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Namtab posted:

Reply with "I'm voting Corbyn mate"

Errr I think that's classified as anti-Semitic, misogynistic bullying.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

serious gaylord posted:

Help help my constituents are at my office asking questions, this is bullying *purges all suspected dissenters for thought crimes*

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Chucat posted:

This is getting a bit irritating.
Bulk mail app on my iphone
having meetings on London Fields
up on the blog so everyone knows
we're being new labour, with a vintage feel

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Brutal.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

ITBFJC?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

LeoMarr posted:

Funny that Labor is now known as the anti-semite 'bad guy' party. Good thing Thatcher loved Jews.

You're crap at this.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Coohoolin posted:

And latent sweaty sock bigotry.

Looks down at Union Jack socks me mam bought me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
To be fair to Owen Smith (And I don't have to be), he is in a pretty unenviable position if you were in his shoes.

Corbyn doesn't do personal attacks, so if Owen Smith attacks him he looks like an utter dick. Unfortunately he can't attack Corbyn's policies either, because the Labour Members quite like those too. Which means he's left with trying to personally attack Corbyn in a way that doesn't make it look like he's doing it and trying to be more Corbyn than Corbyn himself when it comes to policies.

I think he's doing the best he can with that hand and it isn't a terrible showing from the guy all things considered. But Corbyn wasn't unpopular with the membership when this started and his politics weren't unpopular either, so this was never winnable for Smith.

Also since I don't have to be fair to the guy, I can point out he's a loving idiot for trying this when the deck was so clearly stacked against him.

• Locked thread