Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MustardFacial posted:

I, for one, am enjoying watching everyone get mugged. I am also enjoying watching the Russian athletes shoot everyone.

Don't forget police raping firefighters, and all the athletes hotel rooms being robbed.

The Olympics are a loving joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

iwentdoodie posted:

The Olympics are a loving joke hilarious this year.

I fixed that for you!

Not a valid position if you actually live there

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
YEAH.

Eat a dick pile of steel, I figured out how to break this fucker down without a manual. Now off to the friend's to get welded (and reinforced).

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

the spyder posted:

Was there someone on here who could get cheap LM4/LM7/L33 engines due to rusted out 00's era vehicles? I think it was Kastein, but I can't remember. I was offered the perfect shell to swap a 5.3 into...

An L33 would be the best option for a 5.3, but a lq4 or lq9 would be even better. Any junkyard should have shitloads available.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Saw Suicide Squad tonight. I went in with no hyped up expectations and also not being a huge follower of comic books or even comic book movies and thought it was decent. Fun popcorn movie anyway. Margot Robbie as Harley Quin though ticked all the right boxes. :awesome:

Paging Cat Terrist to tell me how bad it really is. :v:

Re: Olympics -- One of the programs on NPR had an interview with one of the long-distance swimmers wherein she mentioned she was loading up on pro- and antibiotics to deal with swimming in the disease infested Rio waters. I think I just said "Nope nope nope nope nope" the entire time I was listening.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Elmnt80 posted:

An L33 would be the best option for a 5.3, but a lq4 or lq9 would be even better. Any junkyard should have shitloads available.

Which one can handle the most boost? Because I happen to have this BW 366 turbo siting around......

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

An iron block 4.8 with a stock bottom end that was pulled out of a junkyard with well over 100k miles took 60+ dyno pulls under varying amounts of boost, all the way up to 26psi in a hot rod magazine test. They couldn't push it higher due to spark issues. The only difference between the 4.8 and the 5.3 is the crank has a different stroke.

If you do get an iron block 5.3, get a set of 799 casting heads off of an l33 motor for a cheap head upgrade, with an ls1 intake and a good cam before boosting it.

Edit: Also, if you go for an iron block 5.3, preferably get one from after 03 when they fixed the piston slap issue that some 5.3s suffered from.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 6, 2016

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

the spyder posted:

Which one can handle the most boost? Because I happen to have this BW 366 turbo siting around......

LM7, probably. 9.5:1 stock, iron block/heads.

The whole LS family doesn't take to boost very well without a rebuild, but it or one of the 4.8L versions are probably your best bet.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

the spyder posted:

Pretty much all of them. Denmah tends to use 6.0 motors 'cause why not, but Hotrod (I think) built up a 5.3 to 4-digit horsepower, and it turns out it was actually a 4.8 with nothing done to it since it came out of the junkyard. So, really, whatever you can get your hands on, but I'd imagine a bigger cube motor would make a bit more power.

Elmnt80 posted:

Any junkyard should have shitloads available.

Not here on the west coast. Anytime an LS/LM/LQ truck hits the pick n pull around here, the motor is pulled within minutes to hours. I have an email alert through row52, and twice now I've rushed to the yard and by the time I get there the motor is already in the air with a crew of guys pulling it.

E:

Elmnt80 posted:

The only difference between the 4.8 and the 5.3 is the crank has a different stroke.

Different pistons, too.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

LM7, probably. 9.5:1 stock, iron block/heads.

The whole LS family doesn't take to boost very well without a rebuild, but it or one of the 4.8L versions are probably your best bet.

You can bump the compression to 10:1 with the heads I mention and the flat top pistons from a 4.8.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

iwentdoodie posted:

Also, this is news to me. Doesn't Denmah usually just stick in whatever he has at hand without any sort of rebuild? I recall him bragging about never touching the ring gap or anything.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Raluek posted:

Pretty much all of them. Denmah tends to use 6.0 motors 'cause why not, but Hotrod (I think) built up a 5.3 to 4-digit horsepower, and it turns out it was actually a 4.8 with nothing done to it since it came out of the junkyard. So, really, whatever you can get your hands on, but I'd imagine a bigger cube motor would make a bit more power.
E:

Different pistons, too.
They put heads, intake and a cam on it, along with all arp studs/bolts. The bottom end they didn't even open up and check. And yeah, forgot about the pistons being flat top instead of dished on the 4.8. :eng99:

E: http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1109-stock-gm-ls-engine-big-bang-theory/
There is the article we keep yammering about.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Raluek posted:

Also, this is news to me. Doesn't Denmah usually just stick in whatever he has at hand without any sort of rebuild? I recall him bragging about never touching the ring gap or anything.

Look at the LS willys though, he oiled the track 2 weeks in a row.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/lsx-willys-destroys-motors-in-two-weeks-and-sets-personal-best-of-9-6-at-141-mph/

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm going to take this as us saying the ls truck motors are good options, just don't combine nos with dat turbuh.

E: god drat, go back and reread those numbers they were getting with that setup before they slapped the turbos on. This does nothing to kill my perverted desire to own a 4.8/5.3 swapped 3rd gen camaro or firbirb.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 6, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elmnt80 posted:

I'm going to take this as us saying the ls truck motors are good options, just don't combine nos with dat turbuh.

E: god drat, go back and reread those numbers they were getting with that setup before they slapped the turbos on. This does nothing to kill my perverted desire to own a 4.8/5.3 swapped 3rd gen camaro or firbirb.

I've got a 5.3 on an engine stand and a Chevelle with an empty engine bay, and I'm itching to get the time and money to marry the two. I feel you, man.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Previa_fun posted:

Paging Cat Terrist to tell me how bad it really is. :v:

I'm actually really hoping the critics are wrong and it's good

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The sad thing is, I could get all the major components except the trans and most of the odds and ends for under 5 grand thanks to work. I've got a regular who is into 3rd gens who has told me about a few shells for under 500 and I could get a full running drop out of any gm truck motor I wanted for dirt cheap from a couple of junkyards we're really friendly with. The only sticking point is the transmission. T-56s are spendy and T-5s won't meet up with the power requirements. And I don't want to run a 4l60/65/70 for some reason that basicly amounts to "but I want a stick in it!" despite having a boss and another co-worker that could show me how to rebuild them with their eyes closed.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm actually really hoping the critics are wrong and it's good

It's...alright. Not great, not terrible. The plot was rather disjointed but otherwise it was fun. I wonder more and more if a lot of the criticisms of comic book movies are due to the limitations of the medium of a ~two hour film and directors getting more and more ambitious with the stories they want to try to tell in that time frame.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Previa_fun posted:

It's...alright. Not great, not terrible. The plot was rather disjointed but otherwise it was fun. I wonder more and more if a lot of the criticisms of comic book movies are due to the limitations of the medium of a ~two hour film and directors getting more and more ambitious with the stories they want to try to tell in that time frame.

Marvel seems to manage it and to be honest, it wouldnt have taken that much different to make Batman v Superman work - to me it seemed to have been butchered in post production. It's just more I think Marvel and of all people Ryan Reynolds with Deadpool have it figured out how to make CBM's work.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elmnt80 posted:

The sad thing is, I could get all the major components except the trans and most of the odds and ends for under 5 grand thanks to work. I've got a regular who is into 3rd gens who has told me about a few shells for under 500 and I could get a full running drop out of any gm truck motor I wanted for dirt cheap from a couple of junkyards we're really friendly with. The only sticking point is the transmission. T-56s are spendy and T-5s won't meet up with the power requirements. And I don't want to run a 4l60/65/70 for some reason that basicly amounts to "but I want a stick in it!" despite having a boss and another co-worker that could show me how to rebuild them with their eyes closed.

Just save up for the T-56, or live with a shift-kitted automatic. Sadly, those are your options.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I took my cats to the vet for their booster jab s. Both are the picture of health. Thanks for reading

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

fridge corn posted:

I took my cats to the vet for their booster jab s. Both are the picture of health. Thanks for reading

Please post pictures of said cats.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Raluek posted:

Just save up for the T-56, or live with a shift-kitted automatic. Sadly, those are your options.

NV3500?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Was supposed to go to the jazz festival downtown today but the forecast reads rain all afternoon. Can't even clean my car to pass the time if it is about to open up. Time to clean the house out of bordem again.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Raluek posted:

Oh, they'll take it and make power. Until they dont.

Most of them are high compression motors, and they really don't want any more than 6-8psi if you want it to live longer than a zika baby.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Raluek posted:

Yeah, that's about the way it goes. Junkyard T56 is my unicorn. I've struck out on 2 LS F-bodies so far.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Yeah, that's about the way it goes. Junkyard T56 is my unicorn. I've struck out on 2 LS F-bodies so far.

Craigslist. You can buy a wrecked car cheaper than the transmission.

Last week there was an 00 Z28 with rear end damage and no title, but was running and driving, for $1200.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

iwentdoodie posted:

Craigslist. You can buy a wrecked car cheaper than the transmission.

Last week there was an 00 Z28 with rear end damage and no title, but was running and driving, for $1200.

And then what do you do with a shell that you can't crush because you don't have the title? Cut it up? A lot of work to save $1k.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

meatpimp posted:

And then what do you do with a shell that you can't crush because you don't have the title? Cut it up? A lot of work to save $1k.

You don't need a title to scrap it. Any professional scrapyard is going to have the paperwork for them to take it as is. In NY anyway.

Gingerbread House Music fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 6, 2016

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Ohio only needs the title if the engine's still mounted in the car. You can scrap a car with the engine in the trunk.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

meatpimp posted:

You pull all the running gear and scrap it? Bill of sale is fine, and they run the vin to see if it's reported stolen.

Edit: also, rugby 7s > football.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 6, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Dagen H posted:

Ohio only needs the title if the engine's still mounted in the car. You can scrap a car with the engine in the trunk.

Last time I scrapped a car in Ohio, they needed the title and checked the VIN in a couple places on the chassis. :shrug:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Is anyone doing anything for the Historics Week at Monterey? I'll be around a few of the days, and given I lived in the area for a decade, I know some seriously awesome (and empty!) roads we could do a drive/ride on. Please post in the AI FB group, ask someone in #ai, or send me an email to djcommie gmail. I'll probably have my newly recommissioned 323 Wagon but may have a Porsche 968 if I can wrangle it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Stayed up way too late last night (well, this morning really), but no big deal since I have nothing to do today so could sleep in.

Well, I should have been able to sleep in. Stupid missionary/witness's or whatever pounding on my door way too loving early (I guess they need to get their proselytizing in before it gets too hot) waking me up. I don't care what your stupid religion is, waking me up on a Saturday morning after only 4 hours of sleep isn't going to get me to buy into whatever your particular cult is, and is going to get me to yell at you to get the gently caress off of my property and stop knocking on my door and ringing my doorbell (because knocking once, or even twice, is clearly not enough to make sure nobody is home or is going to answer the door. Fucktards).

In all seriousness, what makes anyone think that ringing the doorbell AND then knocking loudly, and then a few minutes later doing it again, and when that doesn't work, repeating it a third loving time is going to have any result other than getting whoever is in the house loving pissed off?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
The power of christ compels them.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The Locator posted:

Stayed up way too late last night (well, this morning really), but no big deal since I have nothing to do today so could sleep in.

Well, I should have been able to sleep in. Stupid missionary/witness's or whatever pounding on my door way too loving early (I guess they need to get their proselytizing in before it gets too hot) waking me up. I don't care what your stupid religion is, waking me up on a Saturday morning after only 4 hours of sleep isn't going to get me to buy into whatever your particular cult is, and is going to get me to yell at you to get the gently caress off of my property and stop knocking on my door and ringing my doorbell (because knocking once, or even twice, is clearly not enough to make sure nobody is home or is going to answer the door. Fucktards).

In all seriousness, what makes anyone think that ringing the doorbell AND then knocking loudly, and then a few minutes later doing it again, and when that doesn't work, repeating it a third loving time is going to have any result other than getting whoever is in the house loving pissed off?

Thats when you open the door half naked and start screaming in latin at them. But I'd still trade you. Finally fell asleep a bit after 6 am, only to be woken at 8 by a phone call saying I needed to come in and unlock the store because our opening manager was late. He arrived about 5 minutes after I got there. Fell back asleep about 9, only to wake up an hour later for my actual shift.

And we have 0 customers due to the rain with no signs of it letting up. And I'm here for 11 hours today. I should have stuck to loving driving, I made the same amount of money. :smithicide:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The Locator posted:

Whereas my postman guy lightly brushes the door knocker then runs off with my ebay packages and dumps them in the sorting office.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My postman writes the 'they weren't home' slip at the office with someone else's handwriting and then despite me being home all day marks it as undeliverable since no one answered the door. Oddly these are the same days absolutely no mail, junk or otherwise shows up.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

iwentdoodie posted:

The power of christ compels them.

The bed is on my foot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

spog posted:

Whereas my postman guy lightly brushes the door knocker then runs off with my ebay packages and dumps them in the sorting office.

My postman doesn't even try anyone's doors. Their policy is that apartment dwellers are scum and don't actually deserve postal service, so all mail and packages goes to the rental office. In a complex of literally hundreds of apartments.

• Locked thread