Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

e: no

1965 – US President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Voting Rights Act of 1965 into law.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'll call myself a Jute if it pisses off the Regressive Left.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Guavanaut posted:

I'll call myself a Jute if it pisses off the Regressive Left.

Is "Regressive Left" the new name for Cultural Marxism or SJWs, I can never remember

Also LOL at the EDL ranting on Facebook about how they are going to return to Nottingham, only this time the police aren't going to hold them back! As if the police weren't the only thing stopping them from getting their heads kicked in by a crowd ten times bigger than them.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
non jews saying 'is so-and-so a jew' rather than 'is so-and-so jewish' carries with it a (((certain implication))) of the speaker's intentions, is all

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

UberJew posted:

non jews saying 'is so-and-so a jew' rather than 'is so-and-so jewish' carries with it a (((certain implication))) of the speaker's intentions, is all

Are you a taxi

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

UberJew posted:

this is ridiculous

i mean it might be valid, but it's still bloody ridiculous

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

this is ridiculous

:staredog:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

V. Illych L. posted:

this is ridiculous

in person it applies less because you can tell whether they're being venomous or not when you hear it said but on the internet where the white nationalist and bnp types are on a resurgence (impact of global trumpism, after all) it's getting real common and harder to distinguish

tons and tons of totally random people on twitter et.al who have nothing to do with politics or who I really would not have expected to be crazy have started talking about THE JEWS in the old sense, or going (((all))) about things

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

MikeCrotch posted:

Is "Regressive Left" the new name for Cultural Marxism or SJWs, I can never remember
I think it can more generally apply to sections of the left that oppose Liberal values, used as a sick burn by people that think that the whole of the left love enlightenment liberalism.
"How can you call yourself a leftist and yet oppose absolute freedom of speech, not very progressive huh :smug:"

The other use is when other sections of the left go overboard with the multiculturalism and end up defending regressive practices, like defending FGM because it's part of North African culture or banning Maryam Namazie from discussing the problems with Islamic theocracy because it might make someone racist.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

The other use is when other sections of the left go overboard with the multiculturalism and end up defending regressive practices, like defending FGM because it's part of North African culture or banning Maryam Namazie from discussing the problems with Islamic theocracy because it might make someone racist.
Is there a problem with just calling these people loving morons?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sorry, I meant people of moronish descent.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

tooterfish posted:

Sorry, I meant people of moronish descent.

Hi

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Come on, people.

It's Moronic descent.

We can't keep getting this wrong, people will think we're dumb or something.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Guavanaut posted:

banning Maryam Namazie from discussing the problems with Islamic theocracy because it might make someone racist.

Feel compelled to mention again that this didn't happen and Maryam Namazie did in fact speak at Warwick. Whatever did happen which resulted in the student union telling the organisers that she was banned was almost certainly incredibly stupid, but no-one stood by it as an act of principle.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Cerebral Bore posted:

Can't rig an election overnight, y'know?

I was slightly worried about that three day gap needed to determine a leader - fortunately the election is being conducted by Electoral Reform Services, so should be no shenanigans.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

this is ridiculous

I would be lying if I said didn't automatically read "Are you a Jew?" with an outrageous German accent.

It's one of those phrases along with "Let me see your papers." that just... has that unfortunate goose-stepping overtone to it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

josh04 posted:

Whatever did happen which resulted in the student union telling the organisers that she was banned was almost certainly incredibly stupid, but no-one stood by it as an act of principle.
There were still SU members openly calling for a secular Marxist to be banned from criticizing the religious structure that they grew up in from a Marxist-feminist perspective, for what they claimed were left wing reasons. That's what leftists mean when they say 'regressive'.

That and some of the badly-informed rhetoric around cultural appropriation that's a near imperceptible tilt of the glass from "whites should not mix with other cultures."

I think most of it can just be summed up with 'students'.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Prince John posted:

I was slightly worried about that three day gap needed to determine a leader - fortunately the election is being conducted by Electoral Reform Services, so should be no shenanigans.

I was referring more to the Labour Right's mad scramble to disenfranchise as many voters as possible, but I suppose that good old-fashioned ballot stuffing isn't inconcievable either.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Louis CK has a whole bit about how 'Jew' is both the polite term and the slur for a Jewish person, with the only difference being the tone of voice.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Prince John posted:

They need to have a chance to badger him into resigning for the good of the party, be reasonable.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

jabby posted:

Louis CK has a whole bit about how 'Jew' is both the polite term and the slur for a Jewish person, with the only difference being the tone of voice.

what on earth does hungarian and alleged sexual predator Louis ck know about judaism

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Breath Ray posted:

what on earth does hungarian and alleged sexual predator Louis ck know about judaism

There were Jewish people in Hungary.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Were.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I think spending a significant amount of your life in New York makes you halachically jewish. Not sure on that, so don't quote me.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

TomViolence posted:

I think spending a significant amount of your life in New York makes you halachically jewish. Not sure on that, so don't quote me.

Depends, how do you feel about bagels with salmon and cream cheese?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Breath Ray posted:

His grandfather was Jewish.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

There were Jewish people in Hungary.

Is.

Well, a few.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

I guess they are probably thanking their lucky stars the current Hungarian government currently hates the muslamics too much to pay attention to them

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

MikeCrotch posted:

I guess they are probably thanking their lucky stars

Right that's it, you're suspended from the labour party.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

Depends, how do you feel about bagels with salmon and cream cheese?
Is this a trap question?

Because they're good, but I have a suspicion that they're also bourgeois. If to the wall I must go, then I will keep one in my pocket so the bullet will pass straight through the hole and not ruin it.

They're also rules-lawyery as hell, because they're meat and dairy in the same meal by the standards of any vegetarian or vegan, but because you can't milk a fish it's fine. Maybe that's why they're so associated with Ashkenazi Jewish culture, they can eat them and then put the plate in a shabbat mode dishwasher.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why do you need to put salmon and cream cheese on a bagel?

It's fine on bread.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

Regressive Left is the newest way to refer to Cultural Marxists after the alt-right noticed that 'Cultural Marxism' is a literal Nazi thing (Kulturbolschewismus) and figured it's harder to lure in soft-racists if they used literal nazi words.

NB: 'Cultural Marxism' has always been a far-right snarl-word alternative for 'sociology' because these people think analysing society in any way is a left-wing thing out there to steal their video games.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

It's fine on bread.
It is. But bagels are still a bread, and the texture is a bit different to normal white sliced. They're nice toasted with just a small amount of butter too.

It's like asking why I need to put sausages in a cob* instead of a sandwich. It's good in either but sometimes a change from sliced bread is nice and there's a cultural thing around them too I guess.

*A small circular British argument that is worse than boatchat.

Tesseraction posted:

NB: 'Cultural Marxism' has always been a far-right snarl-word alternative for 'sociology' because these people think analysing society in any way is a left-wing thing out there to steal their video games.
There is always a part of society that really can't deal with critical theory. I first noticed it with Anita Sarkeesian's video game videos where she literally says at the start "this is simply an analysis of the work from a certain standpoint, to make plain certain underlying themes that may occur, and does not mean that you're not allowed to enjoy it or that it's a bad game" and people still reliably lost their poo poo over each and every video.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

There is always a part of society that really can't deal with critical theory. I first noticed it with Anita Sarkeesian's video game videos where she literally says at the start "this is simply an analysis of the work from a certain standpoint, to make plain certain underlying themes that may occur, and does not mean that you're not allowed to enjoy it or that it's a bad game" and people still reliably lost their poo poo over each and every video.

I think you're a fellow reader of the DE thread but for the rest of the people in this thread it's exactly like this - Anita Sarkeesian / Feminist Frequency did simplistic videos showing entry-level critical analysis of consumable media. Not saying you're a bad person for liking X or Y show, but asking you to consider how it views women compared to men.

Naturally dudes felt this ruined their cisboners forever more and declared her internet hitler times one million and launched a quixotic crusade against her.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

I admittedly only recently started paying any attention to internal party politics but aren't student politicians often the kind of people who go on to become SPAD's and eventually parachute candidates? In which case it's worth keeping an eye on the buggers to see what kind of baggage they'll be bringing with them.

Jack Straw was formerly president of Leeds University Union and then of the NUS. Many years later the then current Leeds UU student executive had his honourary lifetime Union membership revoked and name expunged from the record - it was literally scratched off the plaque of previous presidents - for various crimes against their sensibilities which he committed while in government (I don't recall exactly what they were). Then a few years later another exec voted to have him reinstated and the name was put back on, over the scratch marks.

This true story tells you the majority of what you need to know about student politics.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

It is. But bagels are still a bread, and the texture is a bit different to normal white sliced. They're nice toasted with just a small amount of butter too.

It's like asking why I need to put sausages in a cob* instead of a sandwich. It's good in either but sometimes a change from sliced bread is nice and there's a cultural thing around them too I guess.

*A small circular British argument that is worse than boatchat.

If you toast your cheese and salmon sandwich I don't know what's wrong with you. Bagels are nice toasted but I wouldn't eat one raw.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cold sliced smoked salmon on normal toast is delicious.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I like eggs benedict with salmon instead of bacon. Goes well on a bagel too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're going to do that you should put an egg on it and do it properly.

big scary monsters posted:

I like eggs benedict with salmon instead of bacon. Goes well on a bagel too.

Eggs benedict has salmon in it anyway doesn't it? Otherwise it's just half an egg and bacon butty with a suspicious choice of dressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
I'm not keen on salmon but as a similar bread example I could eat Foie Gras on white bread but its much better on toasted brioche with a glass of Sauternes.

I will show myself to the wall.

• Locked thread