Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

How hard is it to do the pinion bearing? Do you need a press or anything like that, or do they just pop in and out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

No idea, I just got a whole new (used) diff with LSD to swap in.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Nice composition on the fox pics :3:

This is big fat paulie, and this is his big fat rear end. :D

Get it back together yet?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Fart Pipe posted:

So I finally got some time and shop space to tear into the Forester. Some bearing in the rear has been getting louder for like, 4 years and it finally got bad enough that I had to stop driving it. It makes noise on throttle and nothing while coasting so Im thinking its the pinion bearing in the diff. I wanted to swap it to an LSD anyway so nows the time. I started tearing stuff apart the other day, the big rear end bolts for the control arms are such a pain in the dick

My rear end is ready

Drivers side mostly apart

Its time for all new bushings so I just ordered Whiteline everything, control arms, diff and sway bar ends. I already did the trailing arms a while back. If this finally fixes the drivetrain slack Ive had since I got this car you'll be able to see my erection from the space station.

Soon the Whitelining will be complete

And the best work Ive done in the shop recently was slamming 10k BTUs of cool, dry air into the window

Since I have to wait for the bushings in the mail I might be ambitious enough to strip and paint all the stuff I have off like the diff and control arms, maybe the rear knuckles. One of my customers was selling an old Craftsman grinder so I traded a lawn mowing for it. I already have one thats almost the same one. Now I can have 4 different levels of wire wheels for quick prep work

Mine

The new old one

Picked up the LSD diff this morning, $175 for one with 130k on it already pulled out of the car which I didnt think was too bad.

Ooooh hello there fellow Forester owner.... GG that rust tho!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

Nice composition on the fox pics :3:

This is big fat paulie, and this is his big fat rear end. :D

Get it back together yet?

I didnt get the Subie back together yet. Im gonna strip and paint all the old girls structual parts, I have nothing productive to do this late at night, haha.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ooooh hello there fellow Forester owner.... GG that rust tho!

One of the best cars ever made. Simple and not pretty, utilitarian. I love utilitarian.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Fart Pipe posted:

One of the best cars ever made. Simple and not pretty, utilitarian. I love utilitarian.

I have two now, one is a 99 Limited and the other I just got is a 2000 Forester GT - basically has a detuned WRX motor. Bit of work to be done on that one to resurrect the engine. I hve a thread going if you are interested in looking them over :)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Fart Pipe posted:

Got both of the BABs out today without damaging them :slick:

Witchcraft :aaa:

Dismembering mine has been postponed till next weekend, let me know what else you can think of that you want off it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Been chipping away work on the Forester. Got the subframe out and Ive been grinding on it for a few days now. I know for sure Ill never do this again, what a tedious job. This car is lucky it has sentimental value to me since I bought it from a friend of mine who is no longer with us and its been good to me for a few years.

Right after I got the subframe out

After some cleanup

I couldnt grind all the rust off so I treated everything I could with rust converter

Then I painted it with oil based tractor paint, same stuff I used on the 56 IH. I jammed as much paint as I could get into all the cracks and crevices I couldnt get to with the grinder

I got a coarse and a fine wire brush for the pedestal grinder for the lateral links and stuff

Tried out the coarse one real quick but I was done for the day so I just did a small spot

My friend with the 48 Ford finally got it painted this week. He did the fenders, box and a few other parts in the last month and then he did the cab this week so he could bring it to our favorite show all year this weekend. He called out of work on Wednesday saying that his daycare had an emergency closing so he had to stay home with the kids, haha. This is the first paint job hes ever done on a whole vehicle, its acrylic enamel, I think, with no hardener so its a one shot deal until it dries all the way a month or two from now. I think it came out pretty good and the color is amazing

The 48 and Bernice at Milltown

People loving love the C10 with the patina like that, they all say to clearcoat it and drive it but Ive been doing that for 6 years now and I think the old girl deserves some body work and new paint. Im gonna keep the same colors cause the green is so 60s and great and then probably an off-white for the top instead of the bright white it was originally.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I have two now, one is a 99 Limited and the other I just got is a 2000 Forester GT - basically has a detuned WRX motor. Bit of work to be done on that one to resurrect the engine. I hve a thread going if you are interested in looking them over :)

Yesss, bookmarked!

kastein posted:

Witchcraft :aaa:

Dismembering mine has been postponed till next weekend, let me know what else you can think of that you want off it.

Just the rear hubs and control arms I guess if you havent messed with the BABs, haha. Ill text you

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fart Pipe posted:

The 48 and Bernice at Milltown

Still the best drat truck in AI.

Subframe looks fantastic too :D

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

Still the best drat truck in AI.

Subframe looks fantastic too :D

Thank you, shes still the most reliable thing I own too, just a good old truck.

The Forester better appreciate the love Im giving it. Gonna have a nice tight rear once I paint it and put those poly bushings in.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Don't you dare paint that goddamn truck.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

.... That truck is yours??? Holy poo poo I gotta read this thread from the beginning.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Fart Pipe posted:

Gonna have a nice tight rear

And we all know how important that is, don't we?
:v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm glad you're going to paint the C-10. It's only original once, but at the same time that old girl deserves a steady hand and some lovin'.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm glad you're going to paint the C-10. It's only original once, but at the same time that old girl deserves a steady hand and some lovin'.

No. No. No. No. No. Absofuckinglutely not. You paint Bernice and I'm painting mine.

Bernice has character, don't erase it.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 9, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The paint I agree, but you guys haven't seen the rockers and probably the cab floors. They definitely need work* and at that point you've already got the bottom half looking new but in primer, so you've gone from awesome patina to low-rent and without a very expensive airbrush job making it look patina'd again, the only real solution that looks good is a new paintjob.

* fortunately there's at least 1-3 vendors selling repro panels for every part of those trucks at every auto swap meet in the country. Plus Raybuck and LMC.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

.... That truck is yours??? Holy poo poo I gotta read this thread from the beginning.

Valt! has one that is very similar but yeah I've been driving it for 6 years since I pulled it out of the greenhouse where it had resided since the Reagan era.

Yeah as much as I would love to keep the patina because it is great there are problems that need to be addressed. Both doors are pretty hosed on the inside, rusted almost halfway up the passenger side one so much that the bottom inside flaps in the breeze. I have 2 good doors to put on. Both rockers are rusty and I have the replacements for them too. Cab corner on the passenger side has a hole and some of the cab structure on the drivers side isn't good. The bed is the worst part and is pretty much just flying in close formation with the frame. All the wood is gone.

I plan to start fixing that stuff this year and that will mean those spots will be primered and won't look good. I'd never do fake patina since I kinda make fun of that, the cool part about patina is that it is original so to fake it is, eh, not my bag.

I'll try to remember to get some pics of the rust later today.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
The upside is that it's the best color for '67-'72s so a respray of the original color won't be the worst thing in the world.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

After a point you have to admit it isn't patina it's structural rot, keeping the truck on the road for another few decades is better imo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, all 67-72s have rocker issues. It's just lovely unprotected steel down there.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Fart Pipe posted:

Valt! has one that is very similar but yeah I've been driving it for 6 years since I pulled it out of the greenhouse where it had resided since the Reagan era.

Yeah as much as I would love to keep the patina because it is great there are problems that need to be addressed. Both doors are pretty hosed on the inside, rusted almost halfway up the passenger side one so much that the bottom inside flaps in the breeze. I have 2 good doors to put on. Both rockers are rusty and I have the replacements for them too. Cab corner on the passenger side has a hole and some of the cab structure on the drivers side isn't good. The bed is the worst part and is pretty much just flying in close formation with the frame. All the wood is gone.

I plan to start fixing that stuff this year and that will mean those spots will be primered and won't look good. I'd never do fake patina since I kinda make fun of that, the cool part about patina is that it is original so to fake it is, eh, not my bag.

I'll try to remember to get some pics of the rust later today.

I could see taking super detailed photos of just the areas to be repaired and then having vinyl or airbrushing done to make it look like that again (leaving the rest alone), but yeah, out and out faked patina is bullshit.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

So it looks like I wont be able to finish the Forester in time for my registration running out tomorrow. Ive got some serious "while youre in there" disease right now and Im going to have to strip and paint everything I have apart. That and my bushings dont get here until tomorrow anyway.

The paint Im using is fantastic, oil based enamel and it seems solid as hell once it dried on the subframe. Just got done stripping the control arms and then Ill do the diff tomorrow and if I have time the front subframe.

After checking out all the poo poo in the rear I think the front diff subframe bushings were the ones causing the slack in the drivetrain, they seem super loose. I got the "lock" bushings to tighten them up, it has poly washers that pinch in between the floor and the bottom brackets for the frame.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

This poo poo always takes way longer than I plan but its coming out pretty good I think. Finished stripping the control arms and painted them.

Same thing with the differential.

Sorry about the lovely pic. Using my D40 and I dropped it a while back and broke both the built in flash and the hot shoe.

Since now I have the time I started stripping the rust off of all the bolts and treating them with RPM (rust prevention magic). Its mostly a wax where you heat the stuff up and melt it on. Hopefully it keeps the stuff from getting stuck the next time I have to take stuff apart, especially the BABs.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
gently caress those plastic rear endlinks, throw in Audi A4 front endlinks instead.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I probably will later on. The new bushings should make it a little better for now though. I want to put money into the C10 next so just prioritizing project money.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Fart Pipe, what kind of paint are you putting on those suspension bits? I am dropping the rear subframe on my project and need to do the bushings anyway...

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I would appreciate a list of the different chassis/suspension metal restoration products you are using, if you could.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Ive just been stripping them with various wire wheels and cups on an angle grinder and then painted them with this

I probably should have used primer though since it chipped pretty easily when I was pressing the bushings out of the subframe. Not that anyone will see it once its reinstalled so Im just going to touch it up before I put it back in just for rust prevention.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I just found out that my favorite dog in the world died last night, my step moms long haired chihuahua. Im super sad now, he was a good little guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cxPVLGEhP8

He was a tripod and I loved him so much. I got to babysit him any time my parents went away and we always had a great time and Id always try to steal him and keep him :'(

Gonna miss the little man, he had so many problems but was always happy and stoked to be alive :smith:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Awwwww. :glomp:

Pets are so hard to lose, but if you never felt loss, you'd never appreciate what you have.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Sorry for your loss man :(

Tripod dogs are the fuckin best though, I knew a three-legged basset hound that would wonder miles away from home all the time.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Goddamnit Tim, that's heartbreaking :(

Losing dogs is the worst loving thing. I'm giving mine some extra attention when I get home today.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Noise Complaint posted:

Goddamnit Tim, that's heartbreaking :(

Losing dogs is the worst loving thing. I'm giving mine some extra attention when I get home today.

I'm 29. I got my dog when I was 12. He's been from Texas to Florida to Virginia to Guam and now California.

When he dies, I will be beyond loving wrecked. Even just thinking about it makes me start to get choked up.

Sorry about the pupper dude :(

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Thanks for the condolences duders, Im gonna miss that little guy so much.

Still cleaning the hardware on the Forester. Im gonna pack all the threads and stuff with grease when I put it back together to hopefully keep the rust away unless someone has a better idea.

It finally rained here so I had to go out and do some actual work and make some money which was great. I dont have much left to do before putting all the poo poo back together on the Subie, I cant wait to see how much better the rear end will be.

e: Oh yea, after doing some reading I think the bearing noise I was having is the center diff bearings and not the rear diff. I still wanted to do the LSD and bushing swap plus stop the rust on the subframe and stuff but still, that would suck if I still have to do those bearings.

Guess Ill find out when I get it back together.

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 14, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I would use antiseize instead of grease.

Also, my condolences :(

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Holy poo poo I'm dumb, yea Im gonna get one of those costco sized jars of that.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

So guess who has two thumbs and is probably going to buy a turbo Forester in the next couple days?

Its cheap and I cant help myself oh god.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Let me know what you want off my 00 for the FXT and/or your red one... still slowly pillaging it for parts. Depending on what else I need to get done this weekend, it might get stripped down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Oh poo poo yea, I actually have this weekend free so I may just come up and help you strip.