Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Vintersorg posted:

The MSI 1070 - what is a good idle temp? Right now it's about at 38C according to CAM - 60C when playing WoW. Those ok?
Idle temps are not worth looking at unless you are troubleshooting a problem, i.e. you have seen symptoms and want to know what is causing them.

If you have not seen issues/crashing/etc and you are just curious if your temps are okay, you check out load temps. 60 is indeed very low for gaming, not even close to problematic. And it is true that recent video cards are totally okay up to at least 80-85 range, somewhere around there you start to lose performance as it will slow down to avoid getting hotter. Some older cards run hotter, sometimes much hotter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Billa posted:

No, I don't think so.

Somebody else posted the same problem with their 480. Nobody responded though iirc. A brief google search showed someone else saying the same thing after the Windows patch, although rolling back didn't help, but I didn't see any actual solutions either :/

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

I bought a pair of R9 280X cards in order to sell them on ebay...

This sad story is exactly why I only sell things to friends/people at work on the office intranet. I might take a hit of 50 bux or whatever (mates rates), but it's worth it because I never have to deal with ebay/gumtree scammers.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

This sad story is exactly why I only sell things to friends/people at work on the office intranet. I might take a hit of 50 bux or whatever (mates rates), but it's worth it because I never have to deal with ebay/gumtree scammers.
Makes sense. I personally love selling stuff on kijiji or craigslist, if I don't have a friend or coworker that is interested. You meet them in person at a coffee shop or wherever, they see the item before they pay and they pay cash. No expectation of any return policy and no way to appeal or dispute or anything. If you're willing to be patient you generally make a similar amount of money anyway, because you don't pay any transaction fees or other fees. The one caveat is you need to live in a decent size city, not huge but decent size. If you live in a relatively small town there may just not be enough buyers.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Lt. Chips posted:

I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, so please correct me if there is a more appropriate location.

I replaced my graphics card (GTX 760) with a GTX 1070 over the weekend. Nearly everything is working perfectly after driver updates. The only issue is text in Chrome. It looks....messy. What is strange is that this is only occurring in Chrome. MS Edge, for example, looks normal.

Here is what the top of this page looks like in Chrome:

As a contrast, here is what it looks like in MS Edge:

Its not the biggest issue in the world, but just enough to annoy the hell out of me. I have absolutely no idea where to even begin trouble shooting this, and Google has turned up nothing. Since text looks fine in other browsers I am assuming its a setting in Chrome itself. Any thoughts?

Looks like the encoding for messed up, no idea why a graphic card did that. Take a look at this:

http://superuser.com/questions/821092/chromes-fonts-look-off

Or toggle auto detect encoding as described here:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95290?hl=en

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Lockback posted:

Looks like the encoding for messed up, no idea why a graphic card did that. Take a look at this:

http://superuser.com/questions/821092/chromes-fonts-look-off

Or toggle auto detect encoding as described here:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95290?hl=en

The second link did it! Looks much better now. Thank you very much.

I still have absolutely no idea what happened or how the text tuner fixed it, but it worked.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Edit: Perhaps I will read the entire OP before asking any questions. Apologies.

fishing with the fam fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 9, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Lt. Chips posted:

Edit: Perhaps I will read the entire OP before asking any questions. Apologies.

Well I dunno, that really depends what info you're looking for lol

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Thanks again guys :) makes sense since the fans aren't in under 60. My CPU idles at 28 with just fan power in my case so I was a tad concerned of it being higher. But now that I'm using my brain and realize a fan is on it. :lol:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Col.Kiwi posted:

Makes sense. I personally love selling stuff on kijiji or craigslist, if I don't have a friend or coworker that is interested. You meet them in person at a coffee shop or wherever, they see the item before they pay and they pay cash. No expectation of any return policy and no way to appeal or dispute or anything. If you're willing to be patient you generally make a similar amount of money anyway, because you don't pay any transaction fees or other fees. The one caveat is you need to live in a decent size city, not huge but decent size. If you live in a relatively small town there may just not be enough buyers.

My problem has always been morons who think I will accept their absurd low ball offers and get pissed when I say no. I just give old poo poo to my friends now.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Anyone here have an MSI 1080 seahawk, by chance? Managed to catch one in stock at NewEgg, and after I pulled the trigger I started reading complaints about coil whine. Just wondering if anyone has first hand experience with it and how loud it actually is - the card will be inside a noise-insulated case under the desk, so as long as it's not an ear-piercing shriek I'm hoping I'll be OK.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Jazzzzz posted:

Anyone here have an MSI 1080 seahawk, by chance? Managed to catch one in stock at NewEgg, and after I pulled the trigger I started reading complaints about coil whine. Just wondering if anyone has first hand experience with it and how loud it actually is - the card will be inside a noise-insulated case under the desk, so as long as it's not an ear-piercing shriek I'm hoping I'll be OK.

Coil whine can happen with any card.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jazzzzz posted:

the card will be inside a noise-insulated case under the desk

I don't think you'll hear it.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

DrNutt posted:

My problem has always been morons who think I will accept their absurd low ball offers and get pissed when I say no. I just give old poo poo to my friends now.
Oh yeah, those guys suck. I never ever put my phone number, I just let people email me through the automated form on the website. So if they send me a really dumb lowball offer I don't even reply so they don't have my real email address, can't pester me once I take the ad down. There are often an annoying amount of lowballers but just ignoring them isn't too bad if you don't have your phone number on there.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Col.Kiwi posted:

Oh yeah, those guys suck. I never ever put my phone number, I just let people email me through the automated form on the website. So if they send me a really dumb lowball offer I don't even reply so they don't have my real email address, can't pester me once I take the ad down. There are often an annoying amount of lowballers but just ignoring them isn't too bad if you don't have your phone number on there.

Sometimes people will lowball just for the sake of lowballing to see if you will bite. But if I turn them down they will be willing to negociate anyway. Ive had my phone numbers up in ads and Ive found I am able to get the prices I want if you just text people in a convincing fashion.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Skuto posted:

Majority of RX 470 that were announced have 8 pin plugs. Or do those cards just work if you plug a 6 pin into that?

This is from a couple pages back, but my Powercolor 470 came in today so I decided to test it by plugging a 6 pin into the 8-pin. The card doesn't seem to care and happily stayed between 1150 and 1270 MHz while I was running overwatch for 20 minutes or so.

Naffer fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 10, 2016

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Is there anything like memtest86 for GPUs ? I have a nvidia strix gtx 970 and I'd like to look if my memory has any problems.

I've had had some problems while playing Dark Souls 3, randomly (some times it takes hours, other times just a few minutes) the vide-card crashes and my monitor stops getting the video signal (the light in it starts to blink like the when only the monitor is on but the computer is off) sometimes I still hear some windows sounds in the blank screen and I have to turn the pc off/on on to reboot.

Tried to reproduce with 3dmark and other bench tool but it's only when I play DS3 that this happens (and one time playing Shadows of Mordor) other games run fine.

So.. anything for me to be sure it's hardware and not some software problem ?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

ZZZorcerer posted:

Is there anything like memtest86 for GPUs ? I have a nvidia strix gtx 970 and I'd like to look if my memory has any problems.

I've had had some problems while playing Dark Souls 3, randomly (some times it takes hours, other times just a few minutes) the vide-card crashes and my monitor stops getting the video signal (the light in it starts to blink like the when only the monitor is on but the computer is off) sometimes I still hear some windows sounds in the blank screen and I have to turn the pc off/on on to reboot.

Tried to reproduce with 3dmark and other bench tool but it's only when I play DS3 that this happens (and one time playing Shadows of Mordor) other games run fine.

So.. anything for me to be sure it's hardware and not some software problem ?

If,you want a memtest for vram use this https://folding.stanford.edu/home/memtestcl-a-gpu-memory-tester-for-opencl-supports-ati-and-nvidia-gpus/

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Looks like what I was looking for, thanks !

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

hurray my 980 to 1080 evga step up was approved :toot: does anyone know how much of a stickler they are about, "Please send in all your accessories with your original product- excluding CD, Manual, T-Shirts, Posters or promotional games?" I actually kept most of the box in tact with the unused pieces so hopefully they don't charge me an extra 10 bucks or something because I didn't return some screws or a rubber cover.

edit: good lord i actually never took off some clear plastic cover on... some sort of window over a filter?

Tweak fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 10, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Linus did another video on the Razer Core. Experimentation! :science:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D79GsrEqe4

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

I bought a pair of R9 280X cards in order to sell them on ebay...

I always search buyers' addresses after selling something on ebay. The first guy who bought my 380 gave me an address that returned literally hundreds of results suggesting he was a scammer. I was able to cancel the sale right away but it took four calls to ebay to report the buyer, get the negative feedback he left me deleted, and get the first fees for that sale refunded. Never again, it's not worth the small premium you typically get from selling on ebay.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

PSA: I was getting some weird crashes in overwatch and apparently it turned out to be the gigabyte oc software. On a 1070 g1

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

PBCrunch posted:

I bought a pair of R9 280X cards in order to sell them on ebay.

What's the going rate for a 280X these days? Buttcoiners still snatching them up? I replaced my 280X with a 1070 and might try to get rid of it on Craigslist.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Massasoit posted:

PSA: I was getting some weird crashes in overwatch and apparently it turned out to be the gigabyte oc software. On a 1070 g1

I have to revert to stock settings (remove OC) when playing Overwatch because it would go all black except some of the HUD items. I haven't played in a couple weeks so maybe some updates fixed that but it was drat annoying.

Paul MaudDib posted:

The standard recommendation for midrange gaming is a 6600K with a Z170 motherboard. If you have a Microcenter around, you could get the 6600K with an Asrock Z170M for $210 + $95 - $30 bundle discount + tax, - $20 rebate, which would work out to around $275 here.

Is this a deal microcenter does a lot because that's a drat good price and has me considering upgrading my i5 2500k. Still I don't know that it would be a very noticeable upgrade. DDR3 1600 to DD4 3000 would be nice, though.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Larrymer posted:

Is this a deal microcenter does a lot because that's a drat good price and has me considering upgrading my i5 2500k. Still I don't know that it would be a very noticeable upgrade. DDR3 1600 to DD4 3000 would be nice, though.

Pretty consistently, at least. I finally pulled the trigger on a 2500K to 6600K upgrade but I was looking in early April and they had the same deal going. I think it might actually have been $199 instead of $209 then.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Larrymer posted:

I have to revert to stock settings (remove OC) when playing Overwatch because it would go all black except some of the HUD items. I haven't played in a couple weeks so maybe some updates fixed that but it was drat annoying.

Microcenter uses CPU + Mobo bundles as loss leaders hoping that you'll buy the rest of the PC there too. They're selling this stuff under cost.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
There's a GTX 1060 for $216 right now on Jet, if the 1060 ends up reliably cheaper street prices than a RX 470/480 there's no reason to buy the AMD cards, right?

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Twerk from Home posted:

There's a GTX 1060 for $216 right now on Jet, if the 1060 ends up reliably cheaper street prices than a RX 470/480 there's no reason to buy the AMD cards, right?

Unless you want freesync.
The rx 470 can be had for ~170 with the Jet deal when it's in stock depending on the model. It's worth noting that Walmart just made an offer to acquire Jet so I wouldn't be surprised if the days of Jet buying people items from Newegg at a discount are nearing an end.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Barry posted:

Pretty consistently, at least. I finally pulled the trigger on a 2500K to 6600K upgrade but I was looking in early April and they had the same deal going. I think it might actually have been $199 instead of $209 then.

Apologies for the continued derail, but did you notice a huge difference from it? Also I'm using 3 1080p screens for iRacing but otherwise just game on 1 screen. I'm currently running a GTX 1070 and it keeps 60 fps in Witcher 3 except in some cities with a lot of NPCs it'll drop to 40s. Doom says it's getting 60 but sometimes it feels stuttery (Vsync-adaptive on in the game settings, though this isn't an option in Gefore Experience since I have more than 1 screen :argh:).

i5 2500k OC @ 4.4
8 gb DDR 3 1600 (2x2 and one 4 gb stick :doh:)
GTX 1070 OC

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 10, 2016

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
My CPU overclock (6600k) works fine most of the time, but when I let the computer idle into standby mode or whatever, it will pretty consistently cause my computer to crash, then the BIOS says that it defaulted all of my poo poo - no more overclock, no more XMP profile etc.

What the hell is up with this? It clearly has nothing to do with pushing the overclocks too hard, because everything works amazing and without a hitch in actual games and applications with no signs of strain whatsoever... until the computer goes into standby, ie the least taxing state a computer can exist in without being completely off.

My Zotac 1070 also defaults back to stock overclocks every once in a while after a reboot. I don't think it's related but that's annoying too.

Ugh. Any thoughts?

Larrymer posted:

Apologies for the continued derail, but did you notice a huge difference from it?

I made the same upgrade and am super glad I did. Everything, including Witcher 3, does run better. Even regular everyday computer tasks are improved.

Won't change your life though. Basically, if you use your computer a lot and have some disposable income, do it. But if money is tight it would be fine to hold on until the next CPU generation or so.

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 10, 2016

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I'd say buy 16GB of dual-channel DDR3-2133 or 2400 (they're around the same price) and a G-Sync monitor. I'd say just the G-Sync monitor, but I think your RAM configuration will cause unnecessary stuttering. You'd get new RAM with a Skylake upgrade, but honestly just buying the RAM is cheap and your CPU is fast enough. Head to the overclocking thread if you're on the latest BIOS.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

Microcenter uses CPU + Mobo bundles as loss leaders hoping that you'll buy the rest of the PC there too. They're selling this stuff under cost.

This happened to me, I went in there to buy only a 6600k cpu with the intention on building the rest on Newegg, ended up with a case, motherboard, and ram as well.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Larrymer posted:

Apologies for the continued derail, but did you notice a huge difference from it? Also I'm using 3 1080p screens for iRacing but otherwise just game on 1 screen. I'm currently running a GTX 1070 and it keeps 60 fps in Witcher 3 except in some cities with a lot of NPCs it'll drop to 40s. Doom says it's getting 60 but sometimes it feels stuttery (Vsync-adaptive on in the game settings, though this isn't an option in Gefore Experience since I have more than 1 screen :argh:).

i5 2500k OC @ 4.4
GTX 1070 OC

It's hard to provide concrete evidence and this might not be the thread for it, but the difference is noticeable. It's not night and day by any means, but the small increases from the CPU/RAM/newer architecture in general add up to a decently higher frame rate and just generally a more responsive computer. Was it categorically "worth" it, strictly speaking as money spent vs performance increase vs my 2500K system? Probably not, but I don't regret it at all.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Barry posted:

What's the going rate for a 280X these days? Buttcoiners still snatching them up? I replaced my 280X with a 1070 and might try to get rid of it on Craigslist.

if you find out please post here, I'm in the exact same boat as you.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
An overclocked 3770k is also a good option

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Larrymer posted:

Doom says it's getting 60 but sometimes it feels stuttery (Vsync-adaptive on in the game settings, though this isn't an option in Gefore Experience since I have more than 1 screen :argh:).

i5 2500k OC @ 4.4
GTX 1070 OC

Doom with vulkan should be in the hundreds if you are running 1080p.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Thanks for the thoughts on upgrading or not. I have wife approval but I'm still hesitant. I don't want to do the RAM only since when I upgrade it'll be worthless too. :v: I should probably just do the whole shebang.

Trump posted:

Doom with vulkan should be in the hundreds if you are running 1080p.

Frames are capped at 60 and it even says it on screen (via steam overlay) but at times it doesn't feel as fluid and a little clunky/jerky. Hard to describe I guess. Maybe that's my stupid RAM setup with where 2 sticks are 1 timing and the other is different.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Larrymer posted:

It's what got me to finally buy parts to build my PC (after buying a case way back). I was putting a part list together for a while and waffling about it, then saw $20 off the CPU and $30 off mobo there and ordered immediately.

...now I just need a GPU deal to actually put a GPU in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Larrymer posted:

Thanks for the thoughts on upgrading or not. I have wife approval but I'm still hesitant. I don't want to do the RAM only since when I upgrade it'll be worthless too. :v: I should probably just do the whole shebang.

Frames are capped at 60 and it even says it on screen (via steam overlay) but at times it doesn't feel as fluid and a little clunky/jerky. Hard to describe I guess. Maybe that's my stupid RAM setup with where 2 sticks are 1 timing and the other is different.

I know this seems fairly high effort, but if you willing to do this you can see this in a graph to confirm your suspicions and its actually quite easy. Use Fraps and use the benchmarking feature to output a CSV file. Then use a program called FRAFS bench viewer - ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/frafsbenchview/files/ :siren: sourceforge link) and either load or simply drag the CSV file there. You can play with the settings, but typically noticeable dips and stuttering is plainly visible.

Now, determining the root cause is a whole other matter, but its nice to know things are really happening.

For example, this is a graph of what is techically 99 fps (and this is what in game counters would show due to sample rate) but its actually stuttering garbage bullshit on screen

This is the same thing but without a frame cap. Technically 90 fps, but as you can see, not really.

Where as this below is a very smooth experience and the displayed framerate is actually quite accurate.

From there you can use tools such as GPUZ to see what the limiting factor is in very basic terms, however that will only get you so far.

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 10, 2016