Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I remember getting that book back in the Eighties. I remember a line in there about how Kershner was concerned about Carrie Fisher, but it was never explained why he was concerned or what the problem was. (Fisher has admitted to using cocaine during the shoot.) You would never find a line like that these days in any official "Making Of' book.

It's a great read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I was in my local games shop today, and I stopped to have a look at the FFG Star Wars board games. I really appreciate that the guys behind X-Wing and Armada consistently draw their inspiration from the old EU. It is really nice seeing Victory II destroyers and ships like the E-Wing or the Hound's Tooth still getting brand new releases in spite of their Legends status.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I keep meaning to get around to playing the FFG board game. I've heard good things about it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rebellion? It's alright, it's got some good ideas but theres a bit too much randomness and it takes up way too much time money and space for what it is. Worth a shot if you happen to get your hands on a copy for cheap though. Their other SW stuff is pretty good though, XWing is super fun in particular.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

StashAugustine posted:

Rebellion? It's alright, it's got some good ideas but theres a bit too much randomness and it takes up way too much time money and space for what it is. Worth a shot if you happen to get your hands on a copy for cheap though. Their other SW stuff is pretty good though, XWing is super fun in particular.

I was looking at the Armada stuff. I'm interested in fleet action games since playing Battlefleet Gothic on steam.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Armada's pretty good. I personally don't have enough money or space to get into it but it's real fun

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So far my favorite EU author is James Luceno. He seems to have a really good sense of world building while still feeling like Star Wars. Really like cloak of deception and the darth plagieus novels. They felt consequential and like they actually filled in behind the scenes stuff that the movie can't get into. I just read bloodlines I was disappointed by the fact that the story did not feel like it had a lot of consequence to it and that many things went undeveloped. Like don't spoil the next movie but give me a little more detail on The First Order, Luke and Ben etc.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

So far my favorite EU author is James Luceno. He seems to have a really good sense of world building while still feeling like Star Wars. Really like cloak of deception and the darth plagieus novels. They felt consequential and like they actually filled in behind the scenes stuff that the movie can't get into. I just read bloodlines I was disappointed by the fact that the story did not feel like it had a lot of consequence to it and that many things went undeveloped. Like don't spoil the next movie but give me a little more detail on The First Order, Luke and Ben etc.
Go read his Wookiepedia article. He's a really cool guy outside of his writing as well.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Luceno is a mixed bag for me. I really liked Plagueis and Labyrinth of Evil. But his duology in the Vong series was loving horrible, and I found Tarkin boring as hell. The unifying Force was decent enough.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

VaultAggie posted:

Luceno is a mixed bag for me. I really liked Plagueis and Labyrinth of Evil. But his duology in the Vong series was loving horrible, and I found Tarkin boring as hell. The unifying Force was decent enough.

I'm just willing to write off anything post- Vision of the Future as unsalvageable. Okay, Survivor's Quest doesn't count.

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 9, 2016

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I just finished reading Wraith Squadron for the first time. Are these the best Star Wars books ever written by someone other than Matthew Stover? They're so much fun. I'd almost forgotten the EU could be fun.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The first three republic commando books are good but be forewarned that they still provide diminishing returns.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

I just finished reading Wraith Squadron for the first time. Are these the best Star Wars books ever written by someone other than Matthew Stover? They're so much fun. I'd almost forgotten the EU could be fun.

Yes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

VaultAggie posted:

I remember liking that Duology with Han Solo and the Space Gypsy accidentally thwarting a dangerous conspiracy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsieurChoc posted:

I remember liking that Duology with Han Solo and the Space Gypsy accidentally thwarting a dangerous conspiracy.
Weren't the Ryn rabbit people? Or was that someone else?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 10, 2016

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Weren't the Ryn rabbit people? Or was that someone else?
You're thinking of the Kushiban from the YJK books. The Ryn were space-Roma who could play their noses as musical instruments and call droids with them.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

cptn_dr posted:

There is a serious argument to be made for yes, yes they are.

Don't be sad when Stackpole comes back to write another Rogue Squadraon book. Allston is back right after that with Starfighters of Adumar. Which doesn't have Wraith Squadron in it. But is one of my favorite Star Wars books. So much fun.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

There is a serious argument to be made for yes, yes they are.

Don't be sad when Stackpole comes back to write another Rogue Squadraon book. Allston is back right after that with Starfighters of Adumar. Which doesn't have Wraith Squadron in it. But is one of my favorite Star Wars books. So much fun.

Even Isard's Revenge isn't too bad. It's a totally inconsequential but fun adventure story, which puts it in a good place in a franchise filled to the brim with HUGELY CONSEQUENTIAL (but terrible) novels.

I guess it does depend on how much Corran you can take, though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't mind corran too much a part from his planet wide state funeral. He's just wedge Skywalker. The rogue books are still a good read. Captain needa's cousin saves the world in one book

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Author inserts are unforgivable, but when your author insert is used to tell Kevin J. Anderson what a hack he is, I'll forgive you anyway.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
New trailer for rogue one up. Trailer owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frdj1zb9sMY

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

VaultAggie posted:

HNNNNNGH.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Oh man, the Death Star literally blocking out the sun is extremely my poo poo.

EDIT: Hey this means the Eclipse superweapon is canon again! :boom:

EDIT 2: Realtalk though I am loving bored to death of desert planets. At this point Empire is the only movie without one, right?

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 12, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Whatever MesaPlanet is at least doesn't seem to be Tatooine/Jakku endless sand though. More of a hard rocky wasteland

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jivjov posted:

Whatever MesaPlanet is at least doesn't seem to be Tatooine/Jakku endless sand though. More of a hard rocky wasteland

Could be a reinterpretation of Despayre. Mix the jungles with some rock.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

According to the Tarkin novel the DS was being built over Geonosis, though maybe by this point it's been moved. It'd be neat if it actually was Despayre, which apparently almost got put into the end of ROTS.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

VaultAggie posted:

Oh man. Get hype.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

December is sooo far away.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

God I hope it's good

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

VaultAggie posted:

So this is basically Wraith Squadron: the film, right?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Jazerus posted:

So this is basically Wraith Squadron: the film, right?

As someone who just finished Iron Fist for the first time, god I hope so.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think the best thing about that trailer is the heroic interpretation of the Imperial March. Just sounds awesome.

I'm also wondering if the scene of the starship fleeing a collapsing cave is actually a ship trying to escape a planet imploding from a superlaser strike. Because that would be loving incredible.

Third observation: did anyone else think of this when she faced down the Tie Fighter?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 12, 2016

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Chairman Capone posted:

According to the Tarkin novel the DS was being built over Geonosis, though maybe by this point it's been moved. It'd be neat if it actually was Despayre, which apparently almost got put into the end of ROTS.

That would be cool, but Despayre is definitely one of those names that reads way better than it sounds. Although to be fair this is the franchise that gave us Savage Opress, so anything's possible.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Is it December yet

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
gently caress ep 8 and 9. I want more of this!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Would love to see Gavin and his dog wife fall in love, tumblr would have a loving meltdown.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Rocksicles posted:

Would love to see Gavin and his dog wife fall in love, tumblr would have a loving meltdown.

Me too, friend. Me too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Stupid sexy Bothans.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rocksicles posted:

Good meltdown or bad meltdown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Wheat Loaf posted:

Good meltdown or bad meltdown?

Trick question. Surely all meltdowns are good?