Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

AM2R is very good and I spent the last couple days playing the hell out of it. Got myself to 99% items and can't find the last one. Metroid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Welp. RIP AM2R. Taken before its time. I'm surprised it took that long, honestly.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Hardly surprising, Nintendo is really iron fisted when it comes to things like this, or anything involving their games.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Materant posted:

Welp. RIP AM2R. Taken before its time. I'm surprised it took that long, honestly.

Its in the wild now, it broke containment. It will reproduce and flourish and thrive in this desolate void where we haven't had a Metroid game in 10 years. 10 years! The other one wasn't authorized

I hope Metroid Dread, if it ever comes out will be Samus hunting down and trying to wipe out this game... of her hunting down and wiping out metroids.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

FeyerbrandX posted:

Its in the wild now, it broke containment. It will reproduce and flourish and thrive in this desolate void where we haven't had a Metroid game in 10 years. 10 years! The other one wasn't authorized

I hope Metroid Dread, if it ever comes out will be Samus hunting down and trying to wipe out this game... of her hunting down and wiping out metroids.

Yeah, I won't say where, but I managed to find working downloads very easily after it was 'taken down'

AM2R is great so far.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm a little skeptical. Only a site which mirrored the files got hit with a DMCA takedown notice, DoctorM64 who actually made AM2R said he received no such notice. I wouldn't be surprised if it was some over zealous law firm who issued the notice rather than Nintendo themselves.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Federation Force comes out in a week.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Bruceski posted:

Federation Force comes out in a week.

That doesn't count because :goonsay:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I mean we're all pretty down on it but its gotta count for more than Other M, certainly.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm a little skeptical. Only a site which mirrored the files got hit with a DMCA takedown notice, DoctorM64 who actually made AM2R said he received no such notice. I wouldn't be surprised if it was some over zealous law firm who issued the notice rather than Nintendo themselves.

There seems to be some speculation that a lot of the DMCA takedowns that Nintendo fanworks have been receiving in the past several years are largely the work of a fan--or possibly a former employee of NoA--and have no actual legal backing, but nothing solid on it as far as I know.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I'm sure everyone knows by now but the takedown was indeed by Nintendo and by now even the official site has removed the links. Magnet links for torrents and such are pretty much everywhere though so it's not really difficult to find it. All I'm really worried about is if DoctorM64 will be able to publish any of the updates that he was planning on.

I want to believe Nintendo intentionally waited until a day or two after the release as they must have been aware of the project for ages now. American trademark laws are hosed up so it's kind of understandable. Then again, they didn't even bother to acknowledge the anniversary despite a new game in the series coming out, so who knows.

That aside I seriously like AM2R despite a few flaws. I should replay ZM and Super because I'm honestly considering it might be better than both. Maybe not Super. It beats Fusion at least.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Nintendo's been on a tear lately. They also took down the archives.org site that uploaded scans of Nintendo Power.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Y-Hat posted:

Nintendo's been on a tear lately. They also took down the archives.org site that uploaded scans of Nintendo Power.

If Nintendo's not being stupid and backwards-thinking about something it's not a day that ends in Y.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
It's really strange, though. It's like someone else is running that part of the company in recent times.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

At least Nintendo waited until they were finished with AM2R to go all copyright lawyer on their asses, giving people plenty of time to download it for themselves. Squeenix wasted no time sending out cease and desist letters to the person making the Chrono Trigger fan game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

At least Nintendo waited until they were finished with AM2R to go all copyright lawyer on their asses, giving people plenty of time to download it for themselves. Squeenix wasted no time sending out cease and desist letters to the person making the Chrono Trigger fan game.

Was that ever proven?

They sent out a cease and desist to the Chrono Trigger 3D remake but that's because the guys behind it were trying to profit from it and I've heard the Crimson Echoes cease and desist was faked because of some stupid drama behind the scenes.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I didn't know that there was a 3D remake. LOL at faking a cease-and-desist though. I'm sorta hoping that's true just because holy poo poo what a bunch of idiots.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

I didn't know that there was a 3D remake. LOL at faking a cease-and-desist though. I'm sorta hoping that's true just because holy poo poo what a bunch of idiots.

That's the first I've heard of it. There was a goon involved in the Crimson Echoes mod, posted a bunch in the Chrono Trigger LP from... was that last year? They were riding the "There was a C&D" train pretty hard.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

RickVoid posted:

That's the first I've heard of it. There was a goon involved in the Crimson Echoes mod, posted a bunch in the Chrono Trigger LP from... was that last year? They were riding the "There was a C&D" train pretty hard.

I've seen a complete or near complete version of Crimson Echoes. It's not too great, really. Tried way too hard to fit in so many different fan theories that it got in the way of a good narrative.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

We return!

One of us said this phrase during this episode for reasons unrelated to the LP itself and I realized that it perfectly describes exactly what this LP is all about.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The good news is that almost all the bad things about Prime 2 are confined to the Bog.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Bruceski posted:

The good news is that almost all the bad things about Prime 2 are confined to the Bog.
As much as Prime 2 is my favorite in the trilogy, I can't disagree.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Oh God I got some bad flashbacks to the room you bumbled into 5 minutes in. You're not ready for the bullshit it gets to pull for you since you don't have the proper item.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I remember being surprised that you get to go into that central room so early in the game. Its location makes it seem like an endgame area, but no, it's just another powerup room.

The algorithm for solving sliding puzzles is pretty simple, really. You go row by row or column by column, and the trickiest part is that the last two tiles in any row or column have to be put in place at the same time - so in a 3x3 puzzle, you put tile 1 in the upper left, then move tiles 2 and 3 next to each other and snake them into position together. 4 and 7 then slot into the left side, and you rotate 5, 6, and 8 until they're in the right places. It's a bit easier in a larger puzzle because you have more space to work with. Generally, the puzzles in games are pre-scrambled so that a short sequence of moves will solve them, but the general algorithm works for any puzzle and just takes more moves.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Bit of an off-day there.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Doesn't the Dark Missile Trooper have scan data?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

C-Euro posted:

Doesn't the Dark Missile Trooper have scan data?

Yep, he's a unique fight too.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I guess I forgot to scan him! Oh well, this was never guaranteed to be a 100% scans run anyway. :shrug:

I might be misremembering I think Trilogy had the ability to keep scan data between runs, allowing you to get missed scans if you played again without having to scan everything again? I could be totally wrong though.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

FPzero posted:

I guess I forgot to scan him! Oh well, this was never guaranteed to be a 100% scans run anyway. :shrug:

I might be misremembering I think Trilogy had the ability to keep scan data between runs, allowing you to get missed scans if you played again without having to scan everything again? I could be totally wrong though.

You're correct. Starting a new game from a finished file keeps the scan data, so you can get any you missed the first time.

Also a minor caveat: Whatever that giant armored spider-thing is that Metroid Prime was riding in, that came along with the phazon meteor. Metroid Prime itself was already on Tallon IV though, according to Retro. Seems the Chozo had a few of the little bastards sitting around in a lab on Tallon IV for some reason or another. Prime was the (un)lucky(?) one which survived the meteor impact and got bizarrely mutated by all the phazon exposure.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

"Then the stock went down again when they realized Nintendo didn't make it." "Should have sold immediately."

That's why it went down. Stocks go up when more people buy it, down when more people sell it.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I always thought the Missile Trooper seemed like it was supposed to be where you got the Launcher back instead of just having it sit around in a container, but they scrapped the idea at some point and kept the massive underwhelming fight as a kind of left over.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

FPzero posted:

Bit of an off-day there.

In this episode, Fae demonstrates her rights to free speech by being FPist and giving him poo poo, and he exercises his free apeech in taking her to the bog.

The free exchange of ideas, everyone.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Speaking of missed scans, from here on out you can scan Samus's ship and get the logbook data for that. If you scan it at the beginning of the game, it just says that it's too damaged to fly and you'll get no data from it.

Prime 3 has its problems, but I like it better than this one. I definitely like the central gimmick in that game far more than the dark world mechanic here. Also, it has my favorite group of lore in the entire trilogy.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 17, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

KieranWalker posted:

You're correct. Starting a new game from a finished file keeps the scan data, so you can get any you missed the first time.

Also a minor caveat: Whatever that giant armored spider-thing is that Metroid Prime was riding in, that came along with the phazon meteor. Metroid Prime itself was already on Tallon IV though, according to Retro. Seems the Chozo had a few of the little bastards sitting around in a lab on Tallon IV for some reason or another. Prime was the (un)lucky(?) one which survived the meteor impact and got bizarrely mutated by all the phazon exposure.
Unless later games retconned things, in which case we'd talk about circumstances as they came up, Metroid Prime was not native to Tallon IV. Rather, it came with the Phazon meteor that struck Tallon IV decades from Prime 1's events. The Chozo referred to it as "the Worm" ("Born from parasites, nurtured in a poisoned womb..." and "From the stars it came...") and in turn referred to Phazon as "the Great Poison". Similarly, the armored shell and weapons systems were either mutations it developed after encountering the Space Pirates or materiel it outright stole like the parasite it is. :goonsay:

Prime 2, like I've said before, is my favorite in the trilogy. In particular I'm the sort of person who won't play many games but will get deeply into a limited selection, which is why at a guess I probably have a month or few of playtime in World of Warcraft. Anyway, because I will get deeply into one game or another my preferences for replay tend towards things like combat and other gameplay for which the charm doesn't wear off all that quickly. And Prime 2's combat is probably the best in the series; you have a variety of toys to play with, most are available very early, and none of them really end up eclipsing each other.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FPzero posted:

Whatever. I think you mentioned it earlier but there are some hilariously easy to miss scans in this game. I seem to recall the boss for Torvus Bog having five different scans :shepface:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Whatever. I think you mentioned it earlier but there are some hilariously easy to miss scans in this game. I seem to recall the boss for Torvus Bog having five different scans :shepface:
I was going to say that there are a mere four scans for the Torvus Bog boss, but there is one enemy that only appears in that fight, so you're right. Also the next area's boss (which, true to the area, is the best boss fight in the trilogy) and the final boss have five separate scans. Naturally, there are no multi-scan bosses in Prime 3.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Y-Hat posted:

Naturally, there are no multi-scan bosses in Prime 3.
There's at least one I can think of, but regardless Prime 3 did cut down on the amount of potentially missed lore from 1 and 2.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Unless my memory fails me, moths tend to flutter around lights in the dark because they're trying to navigate, something they normally use the moon for. The moon, being a few hundred thousand miles away, keeps a relatively stationary position, which lets the insect go in a fairly straight line. This gets pretty screwed up when the light is a lot closer and they end up spiralling around it because they end up constantly trying to correct their course.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I've seen people being idiots about the definition of free speech before, but cheating in a video game? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

AlphaKretin posted:

I've seen people being idiots about the definition of free speech before, but cheating in a video game? :psyduck:

What, you never played Diablo 2 with that twinked out teenager when you questioned why they did what they did they just cried free speech?

• Locked thread