Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
stuck in new jersey
every day some new fresh hell
worse than my scrote smell

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Is the italian Mob still a thing in Jersey ? I imagine that the russians are more hardcore and swept them in to the gutter.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
google says the DeCavalcante crime family is still a thing over there fwiw

e: oh my bad looks like they're on the outs and the 'Five Families' have basically taken their turf over (so yeah mafia is still a thing - looks like they're hurting pretty heavily in modern day though)

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 10, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Northern New Jersey is very nice, lots of forests and quiet suburbs :)

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Shoutout to Beattystown, New Jersey, am I right???

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Volume posted:

Fighting villains from afar,
You gotta find first gear
In your giant robot car!

You dig giant robots!
I dig giant robots!
We dig giant robots!
Chicks dig giant robots!

Nice!

OP you gotta give the people what they really want!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koesW3xMKtY

I am not ashamed to admit that I made my own DVD's of this entire series complete with a custom start screen that blasted the title theme.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
so how about that Wawa place?

my best Jersey story was driving thru Millville which looked like the parts of Detroit that still have houses that havent burnt down yet

whats everybody's fav NJ turnpike rest area? Personally i cant decide between Walt Whitman and Molly Pitcher...proly have to go with the one with the Roy Rogers w/ the Fixins Bar (Walt Whitman iirc but its been awhile so idk)

NJ gets a lot of unnecessary flack and id still much rather live there then Pennsylvania or even Virginia

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 10, 2016

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013

Hector Beerlioz posted:

My grandma lived outside Atlantic City. Mom would take me to this place called Storybook Land. It was great, they had a maze made out of playing cards and a giant whale.

Anyone else been there?

Was there all the time as a kid, it was pretty awesome. I remember the food, the alice in wonderland stuff, and a giant mother goose statue right at the front.

WaWa is pretty cool.

I've been to lots of other states, but I've only ever lived in New Jersey (that I can remember, PA for a couple months as a baby). We have really nice suburbs like 5 minutes down the road from really lovely suburbs, so if you were visiting and were someplace horrible you probably should've driven 10 more minutes. Camden is 10 minutes from Haddonfield, for example.

The proximity to the ocean, Philadelphia, New York, and DC is pretty cool and I'm probably not gonna move out of the state ever

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I lived in NJ for 2 years and never saw any giant robots

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kitsunegari posted:

We have really nice suburbs like 5 minutes down the road from really lovely suburbs

Yeah I live right by Paterson too :haw:

fartinlewis
Mar 1, 2016
Jersey, the jewel of the British Islands and where you can enjoy the famous Royal Jersey potato variety

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Mariana Horchata posted:

my best Jersey story was driving thru Millville which looked like the parts of Detroit that still have houses that havent burnt down yet

whats everybody's fav NJ turnpike rest area? Personally i cant decide between Walt Whitman and Molly Pitcher...proly have to go with the one with the Roy Rogers w/ the Fixins Bar (Walt Whitman iirc but its been awhile so idk)

NJ gets a lot of unnecessary flack and id still much rather live there then Pennsylvania or even Virginia

Millville was really depressing when I drove through their on my way to the racetrack. A distinct dead feeling.

Cherry Hill is also weirdly depressing. Just a ton of strip malls plopped down in the middle of nowhere.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

treiz01 posted:

I am not ashamed to admit that I made my own DVD's of this entire series complete with a custom start screen that blasted the title theme.

hell yeah

now stop talking about new jersey you fuckmen

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

JustAwful posted:

Guelph is OK. I live in Kitchener. What a shithole.

wanna hang out

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

treiz01 posted:

Seriously it's a crime it never came to DVD or even vhs

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Volume posted:

Seriously it's a crime it never came to DVD or even vhs

I completely agree. If you follow the recommended videos after the one I posted you will find the first season. Episode two features Bruce Campbell as the main antagonist!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Coop really was a hero goons could relate to. He was lazy, fat, and incompetent but he had a giant robot so that made cool.

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013

George Zimmer posted:

Millville was really depressing when I drove through their on my way to the racetrack. A distinct dead feeling.

Cherry Hill is also weirdly depressing. Just a ton of strip malls plopped down in the middle of nowhere.

There are nice parts of Cherry Hill, or at least nice towns surrounding it.

I work near Millville (for like 2 more weeks) and it is A loving SHITHOLE.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Yeah, Haddonfield is really, really nice.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

isn't that where Halloween takes place lol

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mariana Horchata posted:

Everyone I've known in Jersey talks about it like it's the food of the gods. Bitches it's barely better than modern Quik Check and every other state I go to has an equivalent now.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Everyone I've known in Jersey talks about it like it's the food of the gods. Bitches it's barely better than modern Quik Check and every other state I go to has an equivalent now.

Quik Chek stepped their game up pretty heavily and has been a godsend in the parts of NJ that don't have Wawa yet, but Wawa was our savior in college since you can go in drunk as gently caress at 3AM and get a freshly made meatball sub on the spot

Also nobody but wawa has the sweet cream cheese stuffed pretzels and those things are clear proof that god exists and loves us

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

letting the days go by
let the water hold me down

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Organized crime is a cancer on society

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Quik Chek stepped their game up pretty heavily and has been a godsend in the parts of NJ that don't have Wawa yet, but Wawa was our savior in college since you can go in drunk as gently caress at 3AM and get a freshly made meatball sub on the spot

I cannot count the times my roommates and I drunkenly stumbled the mile to wawa at 3 am, dead of winter, pouring rain, whatever.

WaWa is the best when you're hosed up and in college

psychokitty posted:

letting the days go by
let the water hold me down

this was a pizza hut

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Once I was driving up a part of the NJ coast during the off-season. The area was basically one road running North/South on a small strip of land, beach on one side bay on the other. It was about 11 at night. There was nothing open, no residence lights on. The only light other than the traffic and streelights came from every single Italian restaurant on the 10-15 miles I drove.

I'm like 90% sure one of my best friends growing up was in a mob-connected family too.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Kitsunegari posted:

this was a pizza hut

now it's a peaceful oasis

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

psychokitty posted:

now it's a peaceful oasis

I miss the honky tonks, Dairy Queens and 7-11s :(

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I miss the honky tonks, Dairy Queens and 7-11s :(

you got it

you got it

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

They're trying to build a Wawa 5 minutes from my house but the rich buttheads around me are protesting it, saying it'll cause massive increases in traffic and noise, etc.

The building site is on the major highway for the area, said highway is already infested with gas stations and convenience stores so I really don't see how one more is going to make that big of a difference (even if it is the One True Convenience Store)

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

JustAwful posted:

Guelph is OK. I live in Kitchener. What a shithole.

My wife went to school in Guelph and her family lives in Cambridge.
It seems ok.

THank you

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Big Beef City posted:

My wife went to school in Guelph and her family lives in Cambridge.
It seems ok.

THank you

wanna hang out

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Celluloid Sam posted:

wanna hang out

I would but I'm like 13 hours away from that area.
I do like to visit and go down to the old mill thing or whatever it is that's on the river, that seems like a nice area.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Maybe the next time we go to visit the fam I can slip away for a little bit and you can drive over from Guelph and the dude from Kitchener can pop over and we can meet in that giant parking lot with the waterfall sign by canadian tire and whatever else is over there and slap each others dicks around. I'd like that.

Also why the gently caress do you Canadians have so many god drat black felt and neon lettered signs? It's everywhere and you don't even notice.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Decebal posted:

Is the italian Mob still a thing in Jersey ? I imagine that the russians are more hardcore and swept them in to the gutter.

I'm sure the Italian mob is still there to an extent. I lived in Fort Lee for a bit and new a couple Russian guys, they didn't even pretend to be hardcore. There were a couple places with real concentrations of Russians (this was in 2001-2002). The rich ex-oligarchs who bled Russia dry after perestroika and then fled with their ill-gotten riches settled in Fort Lee. The hardcore Russians, the kill-your-own-kid-to-make-a-point-to-a-rival kind, had settled in Fair Lawn. The one thing I can point to which corroborates this to an extent is that Fair Lawn was ground zero for money counterfeiting at the time. A lot happens in 15 years so idk what it's like up there now.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Big Beef City posted:

I would but I'm like 13 hours away from that area.
I do like to visit and go down to the old mill thing or whatever it is that's on the river, that seems like a nice area.

Elora? It's beautiful I used to live there under a bridge

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh poo poo there two episodes with Bruce Campbell

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

Kitsunegari posted:

Was there all the time as a kid, it was pretty awesome. I remember the food, the alice in wonderland stuff, and a giant mother goose statue right at the front.

WaWa is pretty cool.

I've been to lots of other states, but I've only ever lived in New Jersey (that I can remember, PA for a couple months as a baby). We have really nice suburbs like 5 minutes down the road from really lovely suburbs, so if you were visiting and were someplace horrible you probably should've driven 10 more minutes. Camden is 10 minutes from Haddonfield, for example.

The proximity to the ocean, Philadelphia, New York, and DC is pretty cool and I'm probably not gonna move out of the state ever

Ive lived here my entire life as well, but primarily in northwest NJ, but now as I approach the idea of home ownership it does temp me to move out. Just across the Delaware property taxes drop BY HALF.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

no one takes the robots out anymore because its loving impossible to turn left when its important and no one ever wants to deal with the MVC or those stupid loving inspections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Bacon Hat posted:

no one takes the robots out anymore because its loving impossible to turn left when its important and no one ever wants to deal with the MVC or those stupid loving inspections

They reduced the inspection criteria, nowadays it's all safety-based and not emissions-based, and it takes 30 seconds instead of 10 minutes. I've never seen the line take longer than 5-10 minutes since they switched over, it's pretty great.

• Locked thread