Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

New Roadkill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOhl6oVpEes

I particularly like Finnegan's pronunciation of Renault and Peugeot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KozmoNaut posted:

Trap sprung.

I'm a Star Wars nerd, sue me :D

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

so were two of the orig trilogy. empire was legit af tho

Jedi, maybe. A New Hope however was literally like nothing ever seen before on screen. Sure it was a basic Heros' Journey but the rest of it really had no peer until Empire came out - just look at how so much of A New Hope still holds up 40 years later... then have a look at what was released around it's time and how awful they are.

So I'd call ANH great given it was 1977 and they invented technology to make it happen as well as the immense influence it had on cinema

Empire of course is legit one of the greatest films of all time.

The critique for Force Awakens that it's a rehash of ANH and Empire is true but lets face it, Disney needed to win an audience back after the prequel poo poo fighs. It's a play it safe movie and it did it really well - it's cool to be a Star Wars fan again :D

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

88h88 posted:

New Roadkill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOhl6oVpEes

I particularly like Finnegan's pronunciation of Renault and Peugeot.

The fat guy is the kind of guy who lists rusted out poo poo for restored car prices with "no lowballers i know what i got, you gotta take the tree growing through it, too."

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, I've never seen quite a collection of outright poo poo like that before.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The fact he has a ROADRUNNER just gathering dust is a crime against humanity

For fucks sake, get that fucker running again for sell it to someone who will

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The fact he has a ROADRUNNER just gathering dust is a crime against humanity

For fucks sake, get that fucker running again for sell it to someone who will

Not even gathering dust. Actively rotting.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

Not even gathering dust. Actively rotting.

What the gently caress is wrong with him?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Any form of the bachelor/ette/in paradise franchise crap makes me want to drink sulfuric acid. This is terrible. Why do people watch this?

Turn off the volume and enjoy the view

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with him?

He probably paid $2000 for it in 1983 and isn't dragging it out of the weeds until someone shows up with 200,000.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

There was much sadness in that video, too many cars just sat rotting. :/

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

88h88 posted:

There was much sadness in that video, too many cars just sat rotting. :/

You know what we have to do.

In 2016, a crack mechanics unit was sent to prison by a Prius-driving court for assaulting some dude with a shitload of rare cars with trees growing through them. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security impound lot to the Automotive Insanity underground. Today, still wanted by probably a bunch of rednecks or something, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you know a battered car, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire The Gay-Team.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

In 2016, a crack mechanics unit was sent to prison by a Prius-driving court for assaulting some dude with a shitload of rare cars with trees growing through them. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security impound lot to the Automotive Insanity underground. Today, still wanted by probably a bunch of rednecks or something, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you know a battered car, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire The Gay-Team.

There's guys like these everywhere. Hoarding cars, letting them rot. Some of them would be worth $20,000 after you put $25,000 into them, and the old fucks would rather let them rot than take less than $10k.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Powershift posted:

There's guys like these everywhere. Hoarding cars, letting them rot. Some of them would be worth $20,000 after you put $25,000 into them, and the old fucks would rather let them rot than take less than $10k.

Yep, there's a guy near Albuquerque who posts his whole lot every few days but he wants too much so nothing ever sells.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

I'm just at a complete loss at that mentality. Especially when you see something truly remarkable and worth a god awful amount of money if you just even stored it in a garage.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Barrett Jackson is to blame for all of that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Adiabatic posted:

If I have to suck a cock to get a Road Runner then so be it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Barrett Jackson is to blame for all of that.

This is very true. So many cars have been "brought back" when they should have stayed dead. Unless you are an absolute goddamned expert on the exact model you're looking at, there's no way to buy a musclecar from the '60s without taking a good chance of getting taken. Patch panels for every part of the car, cars being cut apart for a modern "resto" cut-and-shut... just too much risk.

Dad had a '69 GTO Judge in the mid-'90s and we sold that because it had a couple repair spots and wouldn't be a long-term collectable... gently caress, that thing would be considered a "survivor" now.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
At what point does it officially change from 'car' to 'heap of junk in the shape of a car'?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

88h88 posted:

My old man sold his Vette, Trans Am, and Road Runner when my mom got pregnant. No wonder we used to fight all the time.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Is anyone else excited about the LV3 V6? It's the new GM 4.3/ LT1 with two cylinders lopped off.

Super light and compact plus GM parts bin.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Could it be the new swap gem for those few cars where even an LS is too long?

I've kinda wanted to do a 4.3 build since I had my Blazer a while back.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Wrar posted:

Is anyone else excited about the LV3 V6? It's the new GM 4.3/ LT1 with two cylinders lopped off.

285HP out of 4.3L. That's the GM I know!

edit*

Just look how cute it is!

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 12, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Specific output is the dumbest metric ever. How much do all those extra HP/L drive up the cost while still leaving you with a physically larger engine?

Plus the thing about throwing cubic inches at the horsepower problem means the engines are way less stressed than some 20:1 compression, 9k rpm screamer. There's a reason GM motors are generally known for their longevity.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

meatpimp posted:

This is very true. So many cars have been "brought back" when they should have stayed dead. Unless you are an absolute goddamned expert on the exact model you're looking at, there's no way to buy a musclecar from the '60s without taking a good chance of getting taken. Patch panels for every part of the car, cars being cut apart for a modern "resto" cut-and-shut... just too much risk.

Dad had a '69 GTO Judge in the mid-'90s and we sold that because it had a couple repair spots and wouldn't be a long-term collectable... gently caress, that thing would be considered a "survivor" now.

Is it bad that I'd rather buy a muscle car that's mostly new steel so I don't feel remotely bad that I'm not going to do anything like a restoration? I mean, I love a good full on clean car, but I really want something stupidly loud and moderately fast I don't have to feel bad about racing sometimes.

This is why I'm going to end up with a Maverick or late 70's Camaro that would look at home in a Mad Max movie.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

88h88 posted:

thats the difference between you and me, chief.

i don't need a road runner.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Holy poo poo Makita makes an 18V air conditioned jacket.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Wrar posted:

It appears to have been on the market for a couple years now but seems like a good swap option once they start hitting the JY

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Enourmo posted:

Specific output is the dumbest metric ever. How much do all those extra HP/L drive up the cost while still leaving you with a physically larger engine?

Plus the thing about throwing cubic inches at the horsepower problem means the engines are way less stressed than some 20:1 compression, 9k rpm screamer. There's a reason GM motors are generally known for their longevity.

Less... stressed? A engine built with proper airflow dynamics and tolerances will get great gas mileage, horsepower, and last a long time. :confused:

Am I missing something here? The ecoboost makes 330~hp out of a 2.7 with 12psi. Which, even without the boost is 210hp or 78~hp, far better than the GM which sits at 66.

And the ecoboost is also known for reliability and isn't a "screamer".

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 12, 2016

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

spog posted:

At what point does it officially change from 'car' to 'heap of junk in the shape of a car'?

Wars have been fought over the answers to lesser questions.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

ratbert90 posted:

Less... stressed? A engine built with proper airflow dynamics and tolerances will get great gas mileage, horsepower, and last a long time. :confused:

Am I missing something here? The ecoboost makes 330~hp out of a 2.7 with 12psi. Which, even without the boost is 210hp or 78~hp, far better than the GM which sits at 66.

And the ecoboost is also known for reliability and isn't a "screamer".

It's much bigger than this engine physically. This is ~24Wx~24Lx~28H. You could put it in drat near anything but an Opel GT. I looked at car-part and they're in the 1.5-2k range as people have gradually wrecked newer Silverados and GMCwhatevers.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Wrar posted:

It's much bigger than this engine physically. This is ~24Wx~24Lx~28H. You could put it in drat near anything but an Opel GT. I looked at car-part and they're in the 1.5-2k range as people have gradually wrecked newer Silverados and GMCwhatevers.

Fair enough; it's just not something I am super excited about. :shrug:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah I guess what I meant was volume-specific output is a better metric in my book than displacement-specific. That pretty much disqualifies turbos since turbos and intercoolers tend to be bulky.

Superchargers are a little better, but also put more stress on the engine since it takes shaft power to run them. The old GT500s, for example, made about 500 hp from that 5.4, but it took (roughly, it's hard to get numbers for stock hardware) 150 hp to run the blower, so the internals are effectively experiencing the stress and conditions of a 650 hp NA motor. So it's harder to get longevity.

That leaves high-power NA engines, which are what I was thinking of since that's what this V6 is. You can optimize for airflow and whatnot (once you've maxed out basic tuning, I mean), but the main power increases there come from either revving higher or upping compression, both of which put more stress on the internals. Smaller-displacement motors tend to have shorter strokes/crank throws, which means a shorter lever arm, so to get the same torque at a given RPM (and thus the same hp) you need to put more force through that rod/piston assembly.

Wow this got more in-depth and technical than I thought. Tl;dr big motors that make power "inefficiently" have benefits on a road car and I definitely appreciate them more than I used to.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The proper metric with which to judge is area under the curve/weight.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I was programming with headphones on. Ever see lightning strike a transformer next to your office? It made me jump 5 feet in the air.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

ratbert90 posted:

I was programming with headphones on. Ever see lightning strike a transformer next to your office? It made me jump 5 feet in the air.

I'm more interested in the origin of your red title. What's the story?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

God drat you fuckers talking about cheesesteak, now I'mma eat some for lunch.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

I'm more interested in the origin of your red title. What's the story?

I primarily deal with infosec and follow several IT related threads including the information security fuckup thread in YOSPOS.

There is a bunch of people in the infosec field that dislike AV because all the AV programs are terrible and the security issues they cause are worse than the terrible detection they provide.

This is a INCREDIBLY hot topic in the IT thread and don't you dare bring up how AV is bad. OSI Beandip gave 5 people a few months ago gigantic red titles about how their opinion on AV is bad. This title was from somebody in the IT thread who was pissed I dared bring up AV again.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

ratbert90 posted:

I primarily deal with infosec and follow several IT related threads including the information security fuckup thread in YOSPOS.

There is a bunch of people in the infosec field that dislike AV because all the AV programs are terrible and the security issues they cause are worse than the terrible detection they provide.

This is a INCREDIBLY hot topic in the IT thread and don't you dare bring up how AV is bad. OSI Beandip gave 5 people a few months ago gigantic red titles about how their opinion on AV is bad. This title was from somebody in the IT thread who was pissed I dared bring up AV again.

You don't say *opens up newspaper* please do go on

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

ratbert90 posted:

Gotcha. Nerd Stuff. I use Microsoft's built-in AV. That should get a red title on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

meatpimp posted:

Gotcha. Nerd Stuff. I use Microsoft's built-in AV. That should get a red title on its own.

Nope, actually, that's the generally recommended least likely to gently caress your poo poo up these days. :shobon:

• Locked thread