Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This is bad for Corbyn.

This is also bad for Labour. Spending members dues to disenfranchise them is deeply loving cynical. But then of course that's fully in their intentions, to get people disenchanted & leave the party. Hope folk sit through it.

2000 - Russian submarine K-141 Kursk explodes and sinks in the Barents Sea. So there you go. 16 years ago today.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Wow they're going to try and claim costs and it could go to the supreme court, top stuff lads

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/764103179244040192

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wait they're going to claim costs against the people who took the party to court?

loving laffo.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

:siren:Faragestache:siren:

https://twitter.com/MrMichaelSpicer/status/764102079325544449

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Ah jaysus

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
I think Farage suits a mustache perfectly :godwin:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So what if someone got a refund during the period between the first decision and the appeal?

Doubt they would've processed any refunds in the couple of days between the original judgment and today's appeal court ruling. That would seem imprudent

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
More side to that moustache than the one he wanted.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

That is the most revolting thing I've ever seen. And the moustache doesn't do a lot to negate it.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

The Labour Five have been refused the right of appeal to the Supreme Court.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Shadow Scottish secretary Dave Anderson, who's double jobbing with the NI brief, has admitted he doesn't really have time to do both and would quite like it if Ian Murray would please come back and do the job

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/268959/exclusive-labours-shadow-scottish-secretary-wants-quit-role/

A bit embarrassing that

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Wait they're going to claim costs against the people who took the party to court?

loving laffo.

I don't know anything about your legal system, but surely if the suit had enough merit to win initially it has enough merit that everyone pays their own costs?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

His name is Mr Egaraf and he comes from a place far away :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

Shadow Scottish secretary Dave Anderson, who's double jobbing with the NI brief, has admitted he doesn't really have time to do both and would quite like it if Ian Murray would please come back and do the job

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/268959/exclusive-labours-shadow-scottish-secretary-wants-quit-role/

A bit embarrassing that

Is that really news?

Only a tory front bencher could honestly say "Yes I actually think that the cabinet jobs work better when you have to do two of them at once and would only be improved by cutting more people from the cabinet"

Like I don't think that:

quote:

Mr Anderson said: “It’s really hard to see it at the minute whether I’ll be able to do it because we’ve been in a strange position.

“Really, to an extent, we’re in a position where we will just have to work our way through and see where we get to. Clearly the election of the leader has distracted from what’s going on.

“Obviously the outcome will dictate what we look like as a frontbench team going forward. I hope that whoever wins, that my colleagues see the need for us all together.

“I’d be delighted to pass this job on to someone else if they’d be happy to do it. That would give it the attention that it fully deserves.

“If that doesn’t happen I’ll carry on trying my best and working with good people up here, working with colleagues wherever I can, but I think the job does deserve to have a standalone person doing it.

“That’s out of my control and sadly that’s outwith the control of the leader we have got.”

He added: “I have a lot of time for Ian Murray. He’s a great friend of mine and will continue to be.

“I’m hoping that if and when the leadership contest ends, Ian comes back on the front bench at Westminster as well as what he’s doing up here, in whatever capacity he wants and whatever capacity the leader offers him, whoever the leader is.

“But clearly we are in very, very strange political waters. There’s no point trying to pretend anything other. If we did we would just be kidding ourselves and kidding the public and that would just be nonsense.”

Is exactly scandalous.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 12, 2016

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/C4Ciaran/status/764102594272849920

Ouch.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

:moustache: :allbuttons: :moustache:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Is that really news?

Only a tory front bencher could honestly say "Yes I actually think that the cabinet jobs work better when you have to do two of them at once and would only be improved by cutting more people from the cabinet"

I think the Shadow Scotland secretary coming out and saying "Listen I'd prefer not to be here" isn't exactly good optics for Labour in Scotland

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
to be fair, that would be my response too

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the Shadow Scotland secretary coming out and saying "Listen I'd prefer not to be here" isn't exactly good optics for Labour in Scotland

The shadow scotland secretary saying "I think it'd be the responsible thing if the Edinburgh MP would accept the job" however seems prudent?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

It is what it is. There's one Scottish Labour MP, he doesn't want to work with Corbyn. It's not good but the dude currently doing the job saying "I should only be doing one job" is pretty fair. I mean in the ranking of problems for Scottish Labour I think this is quite low down.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

He looks like he quantum leaped from a 1970s raunchy sitcom.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
God loving damnit I wanted mustaches to come back into fashion and that gently caress has probably gone and ruined it.

I did say I wanted a PM with a mustache a couple of days ago, we've not had once since Macmillan and Atlee. I should not have bought that monkey's paw.

TinTower posted:

His name is Mr Egaraf and he comes from a place far away :colbert:
Sounds Turkish or Romanian, which makes sense for anti-Nige.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Meanwhile, Liam Fox continues to be tragically clueless about everything relating to his new job:

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/764099940037582848

Don't worry about Brexit, everything will be OK because we can just trade on WTO terms!!!!11!

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Well that is hosed up.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

The shadow scotland secretary saying "I think it'd be the responsible thing if the Edinburgh MP would accept the job" however seems prudent?

You can say that without saying you can not give the job the attention that it deserves which seems rather unadvisable

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
I gotta say the whole leadership election seems to be getting handled in a way meant to harm the party as a whole as much as possible. Like the whole blocking new members/suing the party/appealing the court's decision may have only served to make things even more acrimonious... because it's over 130K new members and I suppose 140K+ are Registered Supporters anyway?? Maybe we're all Tory moles?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Meanwhile, Liam Fox continues to be tragically clueless about everything relating to his new job:

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/764099940037582848

Don't worry about Brexit, everything will be OK because we can just trade on WTO terms!!!!11!

I mean it's Liam Fox (disgraced former minister, now minister again) we're talking about, incompetence should be taken for granted.

I'm more interested in what sort of businessmen he'll be bringing round to his ministerial office this time.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
This could have been avoided if Corbyn had stood down when he lost the confidence of his MPs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can say that without saying you can not give the job the attention that it deserves which seems rather unadvisable

You can't say "yeah I can do two jobs no problem" without sounding arrogant either.

"I will do two if I have to but things would be better if Scotland's Labour MP was willing to represent Scotland" is both honest and prudent.

The other option is doing a Hunt and running away from the reporter.

Pissflaps posted:

This could have been avoided if Corbyn had stood down when he lost the confidence of his MPs.

It could also have been avoided if Guy Fawkes had blown up the houses of parliament but possibly that might not be preferable?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

waffle posted:

I gotta say the whole leadership election seems to be getting handled in a way meant to harm the party as a whole as much as possible. Like the whole blocking new members/suing the party/appealing the court's decision may have only served to make things even more acrimonious... because it's over 130K new members and I suppose 140K+ are Registered Supporters anyway?? Maybe we're all Tory moles?

It's all meant to be discouraging new members, who are overwhelmingly pro-Corbyn. So that the party can go back to having a fraction of the members, but they are mostly ideologically "correct" according to Progress. Which is why folk can't let this get them down, it's giving in to these people.

Pissflaps posted:

Yes, & World War 2 could have been avoided if only Britain & France conceded the Danzig corridor to Germany in 1939 like Hitler wanted. And then the next unreasonable demand. And the one after that. And then another one, ad nauseum. Sometimes you have to stand up & say no more though.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 12, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well I mean the past trends have shown that being overt cunts has done absolute wonders for the anti-corbyn lot's popularity so I look forward to excavating another few hundred thousand trots to stuff the party with in the coming months.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Yes, & World War 2 could have been avoided if only Britain & France conceded the Danzig corridor to Germany in 1939 like Hitler wanted. And then the next unreasonable demand. And the one after that. And then another one, ad nauseum. Sometimes you have to stand up & say no more though.

:godwin:

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

You can't godwin on pissflaps, it only works if you use metaphors built around the Kursk, possibly the battle of Kursk too I dunno

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

A better way of avoiding it would have been not throwing hundreds of thousands of men from across the world into a meat grinder just because an expired treaty with Belgium in 1914.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

It's Pissflaps. He only understands pedantry & hyperbole. You've got to speak his language if you make the foolish mistake of engaging with him, as I just did.

Anyway, don't you have someone to call a coconut in a shamelessly racist way that you'll then go on to try & sweep under the carpet like it isn't something incredibly embarrassing & shameful for a liberal to do?

Guavanaut posted:

A better way of avoiding it would have been not throwing hundreds of thousands of men from across the world into a meat grinder just because an expired treaty with Belgium in 1914.

And another better way would be inventing a time machine & go back to whoever current humanity's common ancestor is & killing them as a child. But that's just getting silly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Anyway, don't you have someone to call a coconut in a shamelessly racist way that you'll then go on to try & sweep under the carpet like it isn't something incredibly embarrassing & shameful for a liberal to do?
Locke called people a lot worse than coconuts.

quote:

And another better way would be inventing a time machine & go back to whoever current humanity's common ancestor is & killing them as a child. But that's just getting silly.
I'd fund a project to do this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I'd fund a project to do this.

I mean, I think I can say conclusively that you're either lying or it doesn't go anywhere, so I wouldn't bother IMO.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

forkboy84 posted:

It is what it is. There's one Scottish Labour MP, he doesn't want to work with Corbyn. It's not good but the dude currently doing the job saying "I should only be doing one job" is pretty fair. I mean in the ranking of problems for Scottish Labour I think this is quite low down.

Corbyn could give the job to a Lib Dem.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

No, please, go on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Cerv posted:

Corbyn could give the job to a Lib Dem.

Not sure Phillips would go for it.

• Locked thread