Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Raluek posted:

Nope, actually, that's the generally recommended least likely to gently caress your poo poo up these days. :shobon:

Unlike some of the others, Microsoft isn't stupid enough to put an executable unpacker with buffer-overflow exploits in ring 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Gotcha. Nerd Stuff. I use Microsoft's built-in AV. That should get a red title on its own.

Windows defender is the least bad! Congrats!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I use defender and adblock and I haven't had any kind of viral issue since like 2010, and that was a malware infection that somehow got into the wireless router itself. :psyduck:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Woop woop, got approved for a 6% raise starting next month. :toot:

Might be handy now that I've got to maintain a Porsche :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Enourmo posted:

I use defender and adblock and I haven't had any kind of viral issue since like 2010, and that was a malware infection that somehow got into the wireless router itself. :psyduck:

Huh, are they exploiting the ability to upload custom firmware now, and flashing an owned version of dd-wrt or something? Sounds interesting. Although, a lot of those embedded systems have telnet open and a bunch of known vulns and such, but I didn't know anyone was taking advantage of them. Neat.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Jesus gently caress nothing ruins the start of a weekend faster than seeing the aftermath of a fatal motorcycle accident :cry:

Probably someone from my work too

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Raluek posted:

Huh, are they exploiting the ability to upload custom firmware now, and flashing an owned version of dd-wrt or something? Sounds interesting. Although, a lot of those embedded systems have telnet open and a bunch of known vulns and such, but I didn't know anyone was taking advantage of them. Neat.

Yeah I don't remember details, all I know is the router at my mom's place suddenly started routing any website request sent from the computers to random spam sites. Had to do a hard reset on it and it never had a problem again.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

BraveUlysses posted:

Jesus gently caress nothing ruins the start of a weekend faster than seeing the aftermath of a fatal motorcycle accident :cry:

Probably someone from my work too

drat man, that's something you definitely can't unsee. Best I can say is try to keep your mind off of it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
One week of Pokemon Go, end result: 68 miles walked. :toot:

Also, this wasn't there last night:

Wonder if it was stolen or not.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Many Bothans died for location of the second Death Star, not the plans for the first. This one is the first victory the Rebels had over the Empire mentioned in the opening scroll of A New Hope.
I always liked the idea that it wasn't even especially dangerous, it's just that Bothans are loving useless;

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Had my annual review (only a month late) and got all excellents across the board and $1/hr raise! Plus, I've got Monday off for my birthday! Everything's coming up Milhouse!

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Also, this wasn't there last night:

Wonder if it was stolen or not.

$100 says it was a a DUI-n-run. Wonder why the rear hatch opened, maybe driver frantically smashing unlock buttons as the car sank?

Great photo though, hahah.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

$100 says it was a a DUI-n-run. Wonder why the rear hatch opened, maybe driver frantically smashing unlock buttons as the car sank?

Great photo though, hahah.
Found a link:
http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/car-crashes-into-canal-in-leicester/story-29612636-detail/story.html

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Magnus Praeda posted:

Had my annual review (only a month late) and got all excellents across the board and $1/hr raise! Plus, I've got Monday off for my birthday! Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Our review/raise schedules are really screwed up. Our review is on the calendar year, so we have to complete them in Dec/Jan and get the results by mid February after they worm their way through the HR bureaucracy . Our annual merit cycle, which is in theory based on that review - October 1st effective date. :iiam:

So it's only a month and a half away. Hoping for a nice raise, had my 4th 'Exceeding Expectations' (the highest grade) in a row, and thanks to a promotion last November, I'm in the very low end of my pay scale, which also is calculated into the merit raises (the closer you are to the top of scale, the lower the possible increase).

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

$100 says it was a a DUI-n-run.

Nailed it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Has a pretty demanding week at work and it's the weekend now but I'm feeling a case of the sadbrains which isn't normally my style. I feel like I'm letting my wife and kids down because after five days of rear end kicking work I need to let my mind settle but with a two and four year old that just doesn't exist. It's not like my wife has it all handed to her at home with the kids either.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

The Locator posted:

Our review/raise schedules are really screwed up. Our review is on the calendar year, so we have to complete them in Dec/Jan and get the results by mid February after they worm their way through the HR bureaucracy . Our annual merit cycle, which is in theory based on that review - October 1st effective date. :iiam:

So it's only a month and a half away. Hoping for a nice raise, had my 4th 'Exceeding Expectations' (the highest grade) in a row, and thanks to a promotion last November, I'm in the very low end of my pay scale, which also is calculated into the merit raises (the closer you are to the top of scale, the lower the possible increase).

That is... bizarre and arcane.

I work for a nonprofit with a total of four employees (including my boss, the E.D.), so stuff kinda gets done on a "what's actively on fire" basis.

Our raises are based, largely, on what the budget will allow. My boss actually apologized that my raise was so small given that I'm making $10-$15/hour less than what I should be based on the work I do. On the plus side, only 7 more years and I get my student loans forgiven!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Magnus Praeda posted:

That is... bizarre and arcane.

I work for a nonprofit with a total of four employees (including my boss, the E.D.), so stuff kinda gets done on a "what's actively on fire" basis.

Our raises are based, largely, on what the budget will allow. My boss actually apologized that my raise was so small given that I'm making $10-$15/hour less than what I should be based on the work I do. On the plus side, only 7 more years and I get my student loans forgiven!

How big are your loans that it wouldn't be vastly faster to pay them off with an extra 20-30k a year?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Is it a type of loan like the UK system I was under where the loan is at such a low rate that you never ever pay them off at anything other than the smallest contributions?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Liquid Communism posted:

How big are your loans that it wouldn't be vastly faster to pay them off with an extra 20-30k a year?

If he works for a non-profit they're paid off in 10 years if he makes IBR payments.
PSLF is a great thing and if you plan to stay in public service for a decade, it is insane to pay more than the minimum.
PSLF is also tax free for the balance, unlike IBR alone.

nm fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Aug 13, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, but 10 years at 20-30k under the going rates for his position means that for it to be a break-even that payoff needs to be $200k-300k.

That's a bit on the high side.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Liquid Communism posted:

nm posted:

If he works for a non-profit they're paid off in 10 years if he makes IBR payments.
PSLF is a great thing and if you plan to stay in public service for a decade, it is insane to pay more than the minimum.
PSLF is also tax free for the balance, unlike IBR alone.

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, but 10 years at 20-30k under the going rates for his position means that for it to be a break-even that payoff needs to be $200k-300k.

That's a bit on the high side.

I have an M.F.A. in Poetry from one of the best programs in the country and completed all but the thesis for my M.A. in English Lit. I have enough student loans to buy a house and nobody pays that much for poems, trust me. And since I do plan on staying in public service for a decade or more, it makes the most sense to keep doing a job I believe in at a place I really like. Besides, I make enough to pay my mortgage and all my bills and still go out for dinner and a movie with my wife occasionally. Do I always make the choice that makes the most financial sense? No. But if I did, I'd be in sales or marketing and absolutely hating life.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Anyone use RainX blades and fluid? Using both and it is leaving like a slime trail across my windshield.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Magnus Praeda posted:

I have an M.F.A. in Poetry from one of the best programs in the country and completed all but the thesis for my M.A. in English Lit. I have enough student loans to buy a house and nobody pays that much for poems, trust me. And since I do plan on staying in public service for a decade or more, it makes the most sense to keep doing a job I believe in at a place I really like. Besides, I make enough to pay my mortgage and all my bills and still go out for dinner and a movie with my wife occasionally. Do I always make the choice that makes the most financial sense? No. But if I did, I'd be in sales or marketing and absolutely hating life.

Okay, that makes more sense.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm waiting at the Walmart parking lot for a guy to show up and check out the BMW. Might be able to sell it finally!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Wrar posted:

I'm waiting at the Walmart parking lot for a guy to show up and check out the BMW. Might be able to sell it finally!
I just got back from selling my spoiler. Hurray $40!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Anyone use RainX blades and fluid? Using both and it is leaving like a slime trail across my windshield.

I think that's more or less the point of RainX blades. They deposit RainX on your windshield. Read the packaging, it might tell you to run them while dry for a while to buff the layer of RainX smooth.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
gently caress, miscommunication meant it was a bust. Oh well.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
The Miata is getting annoying to engage first from a stop and is exhibiting wheel hop and general bad feeling. It really got worse when I went sliding around with Ziploc a few years ago at an AutoX and I've sort of just nursed it along every year. So I imagine there's going to be a few bushings that need to get swapped out once the season is over. Good thing is I have to warm up on the Subaru because everything back there is toast on my butt and it wiggles like a bastard in winter (trailing arms and diff bushings planned BEFORE winter). :(

The Mazda 5 needs a transmission fluid change (gently caress, been meaning to forever and I'm lucky so far *knock on wood*), belts, belt tensioner, and probably a good oil spray before winter. I've knocked off all the house related poo poo I've been meaning to forever and it's time I catch up on the cars. This fall we stop paying daycare for the last kid and we've finished paying off our cars. Hellloooo Miata work ahead.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Sockington posted:

This fall we stop paying daycare for the last kid and we've finished paying off our cars. Hellloooo Miata work ahead.

Oh yah it gets so much cheaper from here on out... :haw:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
What the gently caress?

http://www.wral.com/police-gunshots-fired-in-crabtree-valley-mall-no-suspects-in-custody/15926525/

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Ugh. At my friend's family's annual kegger party but I don't think I am gonna make it too much longer. The heat and humidity is nuts and I already sweat through my shirt. God drat I am a disgusting human. Of course I didn't drive myself so I an gonna have to get an Uber or something.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So nobody actually heard gunshots? Haha.. The new "yell fire in a crowded theater" is upon us I guess.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
triangle town center is leaking

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Goddamnit. Spent all morning cleaning the garage, rerouting the front brake lines on the C10 so they wouldn't get crushed by the suspension (had the banjo fittings backwards, fixed this but didn't bleed so now it has no brakes whatsoever), cleaning the garage some more, and then ripping my workbench out of the way for the first time in 9 years so I could get at the water heater.

Pulled the lower element panel, it's full of rust. Tank is toast, the drain valve is stuck shut, and the shutoff valve on the inlet broke in the mostly-closed position. :suicide: All of this about an hour too late to get same-day installation from Home Depot on a new unit. In theory I could DIY that poo poo too but I just about trashed my back just moving all of that poo poo in/out of the garage, plus time to rent a trailer, rip the old one out, install the new one, and haul the old one to the dump.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

That sucks. My water heater is just over 11 years old now, and the water here is complete poo poo, so I'm expecting to have to get it replaced fairly soon.

I don't have a vehicle to haul one in either, so will have to look into having it delivered and done by someone else.

On the bright side, don't really need a water heater out here in Buckeye during this time of year, the water out of the 'cold' side is running about 98 degrees. loving shallow pipes from above ground storage tanks.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Just went go karting. gently caress my knees hurt, those things are not meant for normal sized humans.

Still fun though :v:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Goddamnit. Spent all morning cleaning the garage, rerouting the front brake lines on the C10 so they wouldn't get crushed by the suspension (had the banjo fittings backwards, fixed this but didn't bleed so now it has no brakes whatsoever), cleaning the garage some more, and then ripping my workbench out of the way for the first time in 9 years so I could get at the water heater.

Pulled the lower element panel, it's full of rust. Tank is toast, the drain valve is stuck shut, and the shutoff valve on the inlet broke in the mostly-closed position. :suicide: All of this about an hour too late to get same-day installation from Home Depot on a new unit. In theory I could DIY that poo poo too but I just about trashed my back just moving all of that poo poo in/out of the garage, plus time to rent a trailer, rip the old one out, install the new one, and haul the old one to the dump.
Well look at the bright side, if you had started in the a.m. on this project and decided you had time to diy, it probably wouldn't have gone to plan anyway. :v:

And just a friendly reminder that with the shutoff valve closed, the power must remain off because you have a bomb with nowhere for the water to expand.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Enourmo posted:

Yeah I guess what I meant was volume-specific output is a better metric in my book than displacement-specific. That pretty much disqualifies turbos since turbos and intercoolers tend to be bulky.

Superchargers are a little better, but also put more stress on the engine since it takes shaft power to run them. The old GT500s, for example, made about 500 hp from that 5.4, but it took (roughly, it's hard to get numbers for stock hardware) 150 hp to run the blower, so the internals are effectively experiencing the stress and conditions of a 650 hp NA motor. So it's harder to get longevity.

That leaves high-power NA engines, which are what I was thinking of since that's what this V6 is. You can optimize for airflow and whatnot (once you've maxed out basic tuning, I mean), but the main power increases there come from either revving higher or upping compression, both of which put more stress on the internals. Smaller-displacement motors tend to have shorter strokes/crank throws, which means a shorter lever arm, so to get the same torque at a given RPM (and thus the same hp) you need to put more force through that rod/piston assembly.

Wow this got more in-depth and technical than I thought. Tl;dr big motors that make power "inefficiently" have benefits on a road car and I definitely appreciate them more than I used to.
How does that Chevy engine compare to the NA 3.5L V6 from Ford. It's pushing 300+HP NA. Physical size, that is. They could have at least started with one of the bigger V8s before cutting it down.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 13, 2016

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ilkhan posted:

How does that Chevy engine compare to the NA 3.5L V6 from Ford. It's pushing 300+HP NA. Physical size, that is. They could have at least started with one of the bigger V8s before cutting it down.

The 3.5L never went over 300. And the 3.7L tops out at 305 as used by Ford.

Edit: 29.4" x 23.9 x 27.6

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 13, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Locator posted:

That sucks. My water heater is just over 11 years old now, and the water here is complete poo poo, so I'm expecting to have to get it replaced fairly soon.

I don't have a vehicle to haul one in either, so will have to look into having it delivered and done by someone else.

On the bright side, don't really need a water heater out here in Buckeye during this time of year, the water out of the 'cold' side is running about 98 degrees. loving shallow pipes from above ground storage tanks.

My water heater is so old it's almost legal to drink alcohol.

I wonder if the home depot install is worth it or not, I'm guessing it's cut-rate contractors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

iwentdoodie posted:

The 3.5L never went over 300. And the 3.7L tops out at 305 as used by Ford.

Edit: 29.4" x 23.9 x 27.6
Oops. Yeah, meant the 3.7L.

So the difference is like 5" in one dimension. Thats close enough...

• Locked thread