Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

5 inches of width is a hell of a difference in tight bays.

(:pervert:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I actually overheard a guy at Autozone say 'bumber'

As in "when he backed in, he accidentally hit my bumber"

That's like someone actually calling it a 'manuel' transmission

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

angryrobots posted:

Well look at the bright side, if you had started in the a.m. on this project and decided you had time to diy, it probably wouldn't have gone to plan anyway. :v:

And just a friendly reminder that with the shutoff valve closed, the power must remain off because you have a bomb with nowhere for the water to expand.

Mostly closed :v: But yes, the breaker is staying off. Which is another source of irritation - seems like most heaters are shipping with 5500W elements, which would be just great if my house had 30A service to the heater. Nope, it's got 25A.

And I did start in the morning, it took that long to excavate my workbench and see the true horrors.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Holy poo poo, gently caress today, gently caress this retarded company and gently caress shithead customers. Your vehicle just ate 2 alternators in the space of 3 hours in the exact same way, I'm not giving you another when I tested the second one myself before giving it to your girlfriend. Also don't loving insult me by saying dealing with car parts is below you and I should be taking the alternator back because "customer service" right after that. Shithead.

Other rear end in a top hat, I'm trying to help you avoid slicing up your harness because you don't know what god damned converter you need on your brand new truck. gently caress you.

Shithead #3, Yamaha has outboard 2 strokes with oil injection meaning you don't have to premix. They are not four strokes. Trust me on this, I loving OWN ONE PERSONALLY AND HAVE DONE THE loving JOB YOU ARE TRYING YOU IRREDEEMABLE gently caress NUGGET.

gently caress you company, Don't loving change over your wiper blade manufacturer and change out all your florida stock in the middle of the rainiest part of the year in loving FLORIDA.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Mostly closed :v: But yes, the breaker is staying off. Which is another source of irritation - seems like most heaters are shipping with 5500W elements, which would be just great if my house had 30A service to the heater. Nope, it's got 25A.

And I did start in the morning, it took that long to excavate my workbench and see the true horrors.

If it's got #10 awg copper to the unit, you can change it out for a 30A breaker.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Pulled the lower element panel, it's full of rust. Tank is toast, the drain valve is stuck shut, and the shutoff valve on the inlet broke in the mostly-closed position. :suicide: All of this about an hour too late to get same-day installation from Home Depot on a new unit. In theory I could DIY that poo poo too but I just about trashed my back just moving all of that poo poo in/out of the garage, plus time to rent a trailer, rip the old one out, install the new one, and haul the old one to the dump.

Water heaters suck. My house had 2 40 gallon tanks when we moved in. One had a failing inlet nipple and it was replaced before we got in. Well, one of the tanks died a year ago, the other one had the replacement nipple fail because dumbass repairmen don't care about electrolytic corrosion. :(

I just replaced the second one with a higher-capacity one a few weeks back. It is an annoyingly fiddly job to DIY. Not hard, but annoying. Mine was gas, so there was another set of steps.

Water heater maintenance, people -- wash the rust out of the bottom of the tank, keep them clean. Not hard, but water heaters seem to be the first thing people ignore.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Don't forget to test the pressure relief valve with regularity. Water heaters make wonderful bombs if those fail. They also make the most satisfying sounds when they do explode.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

McTinkerson posted:

Don't forget to test the pressure relief valve with regularity. Water heaters make wonderful bombs if those fail. They also make the most satisfying sounds when they do explode.

To wit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bU-I2ZiML0&t=70s

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

angryrobots posted:

If it's got #10 awg copper to the unit, you can change it out for a 30A breaker.

Haven't pulled the wiring, but it's going to be a non-issue anyway. Found a local guy with a year+ of 5-star Yelp reviews to do the job on Monday morning, and he's got 4500W units. To The Locator's point, you really don't need to heat the water up that much Even with either one (or possibly both) elements dead, my hot water was still warm just from cooking in the garage all day.

Given how much of a pain in the dick it is to get everything prepped to swap out the heater, I think I'm going to try actually checking the anode every year or two and replacing it as needed. I honestly never even knew it was a thing until I started messing with it this week.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

That's cool, pun intended.

Electric water heaters turn on the elements sequentially, top first (because heat rises) until tstat is satisfied, then bottom element cycles on. So most likely the bottom element/tstst/wiring has an issue, leaving you with just the top element cycling on and off and never heating the whole tank. :engleft:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

Just went go karting. gently caress my knees hurt, those things are not meant for normal sized humans.

Still fun though :v:

I've got two coworkers both thinking about building a small kart track on their property and I am doing everything I can to encourage both of them.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Given how much of a pain in the dick it is to get everything prepped to swap out the heater, I think I'm going to try actually checking the anode every year or two and replacing it as needed. I honestly never even knew it was a thing until I started messing with it this week.

Ask This Old House had a thing on that at some point a while back and I was amazed neither I nor anyone I talked to had ever heard of it before. Seems like it should be an obvious thing everyone knows about. Of course I've had my house a over a year now and completely forgot about it.

Galler fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 14, 2016

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Galler posted:

I've got two coworkers both thinking about building a small kart track on their property and I am doing everything I can to encourage both of them.

I imagine a kart track would be similar to a swimming pool ie you would want someone you knew to own it rather than yourself. Good call on the encouragement

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

That and my back yard is only like 60ft x 55ft so it wouldn't be much of a track. They both of a few acres which should be enough room to have some fun.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Its amazing the difference the water quality makes to water heater life too- My parents place is like mine- 100% rainwater for potable use, so the hot water service has never been on anything other than that. We pulled it out about 5 years ago to replace the electric with a solar collector/electric boost unit and the elements were like they had come out of the box, the PRT valve was pristine and the anode, which had never been replaced, still had around 60% of its material left.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So the pissing cat continues to pee in the same spot no matter what I do. I had the idea that maybe if I buy a motion sensing air freshener and sit it right in that spot it might scare him away. I'd of course need to fill it with water so I don't poison him but how cruel does this sound?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

So the pissing cat continues to pee in the same spot no matter what I do. I had the idea that maybe if I buy a motion sensing air freshener and sit it right in that spot it might scare him away. I'd of course need to fill it with water so I don't poison him but how cruel does this sound?

My parents use an automatic air freshener to do this.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
e: spread out double post, wtf

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rhyno posted:

The SSScat is basically that, but uses compressed air cans r134 like every can of "compressed air".

https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-KIT19001-SSScat/dp/B000RIA95G

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Galler posted:

Ask This Old House had a thing on that at some point a while back and I was amazed neither I nor anyone I talked to had ever heard of it before. Seems like it should be an obvious thing everyone knows about. Of course I've had my house a over a year now and completely forgot about it.

No kidding.

Funny enough, my mom only recently (in the last year) replaced the water heater in that house for the first time, after nearly 33 years. Considering the rate we burned through faucet seals, dishwashers, and clothes washers, I'm utterly shocked how long it lasted. It probably helped that the hot water needs were much lower by the end, because I suspect it was seriously at least half full of sediment. It had to get dragged out of the garage by the plumber's truck.

This was in between replacing one of the heat pumps at 32 years, and she's finally replacing the other heat pump after 34 years. On one hand, "they don't make them like they used to", on the other I bet her peak electric bill in the summer drops low enough she might actually consider never starting the swamp cooler again.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The fiance and I have decided we want to do a roadtrip for our honeymoon. We decided on the southwestern U.S. (I've never been further west than Oklahoma, she lived in New Mexico for a year in high school) and so far on our list of places to visit we have the Barringer Crater, Grand Canyon, Four Corners, and Denver (:420:)

We both have the week off work so while we can't stay very long in each place I'm open to suggestions on what to see that we haven't thought of or what to skip.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I was gonna buy a house and had a verbal acceptance of my offer with the vendors and all, then they dicked me around for a month refusing to sign and then sold to someone else on Friday. Slightly annoyed because it was a cool house, not much comes up in my price range (small town) and it had wicked garage space (a double and a single and a double carport and a workshop) but oh well

Now I'm looking at a much larger house with more land for 50 grand less...... With no garage and the entire interior needing to be relined....

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Get rid of it already

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

Get rid of it already

UNCONDITIONAL LOVE.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Sausage Party is one of the most dusgusting, foul, outragous and straight up hosed up movies you will see. The food orgy has to be seen to be believed.

I loved every second of it, goddamn it is GLORIOUS - 9/10 without a doubt

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Previa_fun posted:

The fiance and I have decided we want to do a roadtrip for our honeymoon. We decided on the southwestern U.S. (I've never been further west than Oklahoma, she lived in New Mexico for a year in high school) and so far on our list of places to visit we have the Barringer Crater, Grand Canyon, Four Corners, and Denver (:420:)

We both have the week off work so while we can't stay very long in each place I'm open to suggestions on what to see that we haven't thought of or what to skip.

What time of year? That makes a significant difference in Arizona at least. There are a number of cool things to see if you are coming from 4 corners to the Grand Canyon - Petrified Forest & Meteor Crater before you get to Flagstaff, and Sunset Crater just north of Flagstaff.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

gimpsuitjones posted:

I was gonna buy a house and had a verbal acceptance of my offer with the vendors and all, then they dicked me around for a month refusing to sign and then sold to someone else on Friday. Slightly annoyed because it was a cool house, not much comes up in my price range (small town) and it had wicked garage space (a double and a single and a double carport and a workshop) but oh well

Now I'm looking at a much larger house with more land for 50 grand less...... With no garage and the entire interior needing to be relined....

If you're planning to stay there forever it's hard to beat more land. Build what you want, where you want, how you want. Good luck.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Buying land and building is more daunting than buying a pre-built house that needs some work and renovating, which in turn is more daunting than buying a good condition house which is good to go.

Cost seems to go in the opposite direction though, so I think I may end up doing the first option.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Sausage Party is one of the most dusgusting, foul, outragous and straight up hosed up movies you will see. The food orgy has to be seen to be believed.

I loved every second of it, goddamn it is GLORIOUS - 9/10 without a doubt

Thanks collegehumor.com

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Goldeneye Source is pretty fun. Tryna get a bunch of people to get the game so we can LAN like the old days.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Previa_fun posted:

My wife and I did something similar with the Blue Ridge Parkway for our honeymoon. We stayed at a different bed and breakfast each night. It was really great. Can't make any suggestions for you, other than to say that road trips are a blast and better than going on a cruise like every other person suggested to us.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

gimpsuitjones posted:

Buying land and building is more daunting than buying a pre-built house that needs some work and renovating, which in turn is more daunting than buying a good condition house which is good to go.

Cost seems to go in the opposite direction though, so I think I may end up doing the first option.

The thing is you can always start a big rear end building and do it as you have funds.

Got some money? Prep the ground, get concrete poured exactly how you want. Got some more? Start buying material. Assemble as time and funds allow.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My pops Ranger finally poo poo the bed so I am going to let him borrow my car to drive to and from work until he gets a new one. Besides when he taught me how to drive a standard a decade ago he hasn't driven one since I was an infant. Should be funny, I just hope he doesn't smoke my clutch.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I curbed my right rear wheel on my car today. Damage is minimal and easily fixed. I was more worried about the tire(mpss) that costs more than the rim(AG m590) does.

I just totally forgot how wide my car is after riding my bike 95% of the time these past few weeks.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Propane tank was empty.

Go unscrew tank to remove, so I can cook some delicious steak while wife is gone.

Feel some resistance when I try to slide tank out from under grill, lean in a bit more to lift it out.

Turns out a rattle snake took up shop under there, and that when you throw an empty propane tank at a snake on concrete it bounces pretty far.

Also fairly sure I could have beaten Usain bolt.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

^^^^^ lol. Nothing like fear assisted speed.

The heat is killing my productivity today. I managed to re-arrange vehicles and get 3/4 wheels removed from the mj before heading for ac, beer, and pickles. On the plus side, one of the rear drums is definitely sticking, but with the new fuel pump I just put on, I barely noticed so I'm thinking the old fuel pump was toast for some time before it failed completely.

Excited to see how it runs with fresh gas and non sticking brakes, maybe the 2.5 is bearable (it's not).

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Left or right?

Left pro: more contrast
Left con: might make 3x6 room feel too dark

Right pro: makes 3x6 room feel light
Right con: less contrast

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

blk posted:

Left or right?

Left pro: more contrast
Left con: might make 3x6 room feel too dark

Right pro: makes 3x6 room feel light
Right con: less contrast
I'm practically colorblind, but my wife says right. She says left is too brown and doesn't match the floor, and you can add contrast with accessories.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Right. Left is a bit too dark and might make such a small room feel too dungeonesque.

Unless that's what you're going for. :v:

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Right color looks nicer imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The Locator posted:

What time of year? That makes a significant difference in Arizona at least. There are a number of cool things to see if you are coming from 4 corners to the Grand Canyon - Petrified Forest & Meteor Crater before you get to Flagstaff, and Sunset Crater just north of Flagstaff.

Early October. We'll be coming west on I40 from Arkansas if that makes a difference.

I almost wanted to check out Roswell, too; though I imagine there's not much there beside alien kitsch. It might end up being too far out of our way, though.

• Locked thread