Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Doc Block posted:

:ssh: He secretly lived, and *did* go to Montana, but instead of raising rabbits he began digging up dinosaur bones, and got so good at it and learned so much about dinosaurs that he was asked to come inspect some rich a-hole's theme park on some island down by Costa Rica...

The less said about the political officers weird crossdressing house where he was roommates with Meatloaf the better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
they likely tested the caterpillar drive on other subs first or retrofitted older subs for it, while the Typhoon was the first class specifically built around it

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Internaut! posted:

sending an experimental boat loaded with nukes to park off DC and not stocking enough food for the crew is actually 100% pure soviet

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
My gripe is that Sean Connery should have known that GRU could be infiltrating anywhere, especially a lowly cook

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I didn't appreciate how insane the other Russian sub was until I read more about it.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/russias-alfa-class-was-the-terrifying-hot-rod-sub-of-th-1637540064

:science: Lead-bismuth cooled fast reactor. :science:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The Russian-to-English language transition was dope.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

John Denver Hoxha posted:

So, was Jack Ryan or Captain Rameus right about Admiral Halsey?
I kinda think Rameus was right that he was reckless and the win at Leyte really was just a miracle .

Rameus was right, but for narrative reasons and because Ronald Reagan, we had to be shown that Alec Baldwin smart and USA always right, gently caress you commie.

Halsey was acting with extreme negligence and almost got thousands of US sailors, airmen, etc... killed at Leyte because he thought his dick was big and tried throwing it around

Halsey was extremely lucky that US sailors and pilots back then were balls of steel crazy bastards, and also lucky that the Japanese were even more incompetent than Halsey's mistake.

Vasily Tokarev
Jul 29, 2016

by Smythe
Crimson Tide: Also A Good Sub Movie

As a matter of fact, I may spin up 1-5 and 20-24 this weekend :gary: :yarg:

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
I love the discussion of that little exchange, I thought it was an interesting side debate within the film (and those little moments were part of why I could stomach the over the top jingoism that had its way of coming out in clancy books... I miss the guy even if I wouldn't agree politically or think his novels were anything amazing) You bring up a good point, basically Halsey was integral in winning the Pacific in WWII even if he blundered his way through many of the encounters (something to be said for luck I guess) and I doubt that Clancy would be much for talking disrespect on him.

I also just remembered, (it was a Gawker article so please don't get too mad at the source) some folks at the CIA wrote a parody version of it made more realistic in terms of how office politics work and how much investigation into soviet naval uniform fitting procurement is involved

http://gawker.com/read-the-cias-parody-version-of-tom-clancys-most-famo-1440143480

[it's very long, and it isn't like hilariously funny, but I think the fact that bored people in the CIA did it was pretty funny, here are a few quick chapters]

quote:

Here it is—the CIA's tribute to one of its biggest fans—in its entirety.

The Hunt for Red October: The Untold Story
A recent best-seller—made into a box-office hit—describes the adventures of a CIA analyst caught up in a whirlwind of danger and excitement as events of cataclysmic importance unfold before his eyes. While the novel has intrigued and entertained millions of readers, few have even suspected that there is a core of truth in this otherwise fantastic account. Only the loyal cadre of CIA analysts—locked in silence by a legally- binding contract—know the real story, a story more frightening than any work of fiction could ever convey. Now, the truth is revealed.

Warning: any resemblance to persons living and working in the CIA is no accident. Everyone should expect to find a little of themselves—and a lot of everyone else—in this story.

Episode One

The year was 1984, a time of stagnation in the Soviet Union, and of comfortable routine in the CIA’s Office of Soviet Affairs (OSA). It began as the most ordinary of days. Jack Ryan, intrepid CIA analyst, strode into work after a brisk twenty minute walk in from the parking lot. In fact, Jack had been able to do without his evening jog since the parking situation had tightened and he found he was getting his aerobic exercise walking in from the Kamchatka zone of the Agency lot. Jack liked that: it was efficient.

Jack didn’t actually need to work at the CIA: he was independently wealthy, or had been until he got the Fairfax County personal property tax bill on his new Trans AM. Mostly, Jack liked the highly charged atmosphere of short deadlines and constant surprises. He found the frequent coordination battles a healthy outlet for his aggressions; otherwise, he might have found himself hollering at his wife and kids and kicking the family Lab. Instead, he hollered at other analysts and kicked the laser printer.

This morning—a very ordinary morning—Jack grabbed a cup of coffee and headed for his computer terminal to read his morning mail. That was another thing he liked about the CIA—tens of millions of dollars worth of top-of-the-line computer equipment to back up the analytical efforts of the Agency’s crack intelligence officers. Jack quietly paged through the traffic that had come in during the night. Suddenly he froze, his eyes fixed on the screen.

Episode Two

Yes, it was a very ordinary day at the CIA—the system was down, and Jack turned off his terminal and went off in hunt of a doughnut and the latest rumors on the pending reorganization. He returned, sated with pastry and gossip, to sort through the findings from his mail box. Suddenly a tidbit of intelligence caught his attention. According to an allied intelligence service, the prototype of the new “Oktyabr” class submarine had been launched a week early. The prototype, predictably enough, was called “Red October.” “For once I’d like to see them call a vessel the ‘Trotskiy,’” Jack snortled to himself, “or the Academician Sakharov!’ That’ll be the day.” He got an extra loud guffaw out of that one. Jack prided himself on his keen understanding of the Soviet bureaucratic soul.

Even more intriguing was the picture and analysis which accompanied the news of the launch. The new submarine, photographed while still in dry dock, appeared to have a strange pattern on the side formed of two large black circles—almost like the ears on a Mickey Mouse cap, to Jack’s mind. British intelligence speculated that these portals were part of a sophisticated new submarine propulsion system. The portals allowed water to flow into the sub to the propeller—an impeller in this case. It was located inside the sub, masking the sound of the bubbles, which provided the characteristic submarine signature. Such a sub would be almost impossible to detect with existing technology.

The implications were mind-boggling. A new generation of Soviet submarines, undetectable and loaded to the gills with ballistic missiles. This would undoubtedly upset the balance of forces between the superpowers and destabilize the existing world situation. Jack knew that the U.S. had nothing similar in the works for its own submarines—it would be years before the Navy could catch up with the Soviet technical lead. In the meantime, the Soviet submarine fleet could strike the U.S. mainland at will, undermining the guarantees provided by the MAD doctrine—that no superpower would launch a first strike against the other for fear of retaliation. Now, a massive and undetectable Soviet first-strike was well within the realm of the imagination. Clearly, this should be written up—the fate of the free world depended on it.

Episode Three

Perhaps more important, Jack’s career depended on it. His paper, The Evolution of Soviet Submarine Cadre Policy: Problems and Prospects, had been in review for quite a while and was unlikely to see the light of day any time soon. Originally, this had been a fast-track project meant to hit the streets quickly. Jack was given one month to research and one month to draft. That was three years ago, and now he was no longer sure what exactly the paper said, and he cared less. In the meantime, what with redrafting, adding, subtracting, recasting, refocusing, highlighting, and toning down, he hadn’t actually gotten anything else out. Anything. For three years. Jack needed this piece badly.

He burst into the office of Edgar Platonoff, his branch chief, afire with enthusiasm for the intelligence mission for the first time in three years. As he explained the significance of the launch of the “Red October” to Ed, visions of spin-offs danced through his head. Congressional briefings, surely a briefing at the NSC and the Joint Chiefs, perhaps the Coast Guard and even the President! Then there were the foreign travel possibilities—briefings in every NATO country, then on to the other allied intelligence services, from Mexico to Vanuatu. And maybe—a Stakhanovite award.

Ed burst his bubble. “Just how far along are you on that article? It’s due on Friday—you have three days left.”

The article. “The New Soviet Naval Uniform: Costing the Burden.” Jack hadn’t made much progress in costing the burden, but he had a pretty good idea that there wasn’t one. In fact, the only real reason for writing the piece was that Leo Hawkins, his group chief, had been intrigued by the color photos in Tyl I snabzhenie (a journal first) and requested the piece. He kept asking about its progress. Jack would mumble something about methodology and regressions, and that usually scared Leo away for the time being.

Ed wasn’t so easy to scare, though. He knew what a regression was and had begun to suspect that Jack didn’t. Jack decided to go for the direct approach: “Listen, Ed, this is a hot intelligence issue, a heck of a lot more important than the new naval uniform. We ought to get something out today. If we don’t, DIA will get a hold of this, and...” Jack gave Ed a moment to absorb the implication of that possibility.

Ed was momentarily stricken by the thought of what DIA might do with the information, but not long enough to save Jack. “I want to see that draft on Friday. Then we’ll talk about some kind of note on this.”

Jack left Ed’s office shaken. The fate of the free world was in his hands, and it looked like he’d end up dropping the ball.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
The spy who loved me is a good movie with submarines

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts

Hector Beerlioz posted:

The spy who loved me is a good movie with submarines

And Caroline Munro was in it :love:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

numberoneposter posted:

I didn't appreciate how insane the other Russian sub was until I read more about it.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/russias-alfa-class-was-the-terrifying-hot-rod-sub-of-th-1637540064

The alpha was a cool looking expensive pile of poo poo.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

John Denver Hoxha posted:

And Caroline Munro was in it :love:

Curd Jürgens omg :jackbud:

He was also a sub captain in The Enemy Below, another cool and good submarine movie Robert Mitchum was trying to blow up his sub

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Applewhite posted:

Raiders of the Lost Ark would have turned out exactly the same way even if Indiana Jones had stayed at home.

Applewhite, no. Remember how they the Nazis were digging in the wrong place? That because the staff they built was based on the measurements from th image of the amulet that was burned in that guys hand. The staff they made was the wrong length so the map room led them to dig in the wrong area. Since Indy could read both sides he was able to discover the ark and because of that the Nazis found it. If indy stayed at home they never would have found it.

E: dang if indy stayed at home they would have just stolen the amulet from marion no problem and would have found the ark, wow ur right.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Vasily Tokarev posted:

I'll take a look through my kindle at current stuff and write up what's good.

Please do, this is all good poo poo. Reading The Lieutenants now and wow, Griffin is really determined that everyone knows exactly what guns every character has on them at all times

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
i think you will find that if indy had stayed home he couldn't have told the americans where the ark was once it had melted everyone's face. so the nazis would have hung onto it and it would be in a huge german warehouse instead of an american one

then when the warehouse got bombed to bits in 1945 it would have blown up the ark and unleashed face-melting demons on the whole world

:colbert:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

the one thing I remember about this movie is that it starts in russian and switches to english on the word "armageddon" which is the same in both languages. pretty clever imo. also the vhs tape we had was red.

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 13, 2016

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Clipperton posted:

Please do, this is all good poo poo. Reading The Lieutenants now and wow, Griffin is really determined that everyone knows exactly what guns every character has on them at all times

WEB Griffin's obsession with making all of his characters obscenely wealthy and able to just hop in the family jet to go save the day gets a little wearisome.

Trojan.exe
Feb 22, 2011

I never said I was a role model
Where can you find pleasure
Search the world for treasure
Learn science technology
Where can you begin to make your dreams all come true
On the land or on the sea
Where can you learn to fly
Play in sports and skin dive
Study oceanography
Or sit in the grandstand
When your team and others meet

In the navy
Yes, you can sail the seven seas
In the navy
Yes, you can put your mind at ease
In the navy
Come on now, people, make a stand
In the navy, in the navy
Can't you see we need a hand
In the navy
Come on, protect the mother land
In the navy
Come on and join your fellow man
In the navy
Come on people, and make a stand
In the navy, in the navy, in the navy (in the navy)

They want you, they want you
They want you as a new recruit

If you like adventure
Don't you wait to enter
The recruiting office fast
Don't you hesitate
There is no need to wait
They're signing up new seamen fast
Maybe you are too young
To join up today
Bout don't you worry 'bout a thing
For I'm sure there will be
Always a good navy
Protecting the land and sea

In the navy
In the navy
In the navy
Come on be bold and make a stand
In the navy, in the navy
In the navy
Come on, protect the motherland
In the navy
In the navy
In the navy, in the navy, in the navy (in the navy)

Who me?

But, but, but, I'm afraid of water.
Hey, hey look
Man, I get seasick even watchin' it on the TV!

They want you, they want you in the navy

Oh my goodness.
What am I gonna do in a submarine?

They want you, they want you in the navy

In the navy
In the navy
In the navy
In the navy, in the navy
In the navy
Come protect the motherland
In the navy
In the navy

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
I read it when I was young. I thought it was good. The film is good too, although they miss a whole plot arc about the other soviet submarine which I think they pretend to scuttle or something (can't quite remember).

The other books of his I read I enjoyed too. But then I was like 15.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

numberoneposter posted:

105% on the reactor possible. But not recommended.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

it was a piece of poo poo, like all russian subs

its one of those sort-of conspiracies that admiral rickover pretended to be terrified of the soviet submarine fleet to ensure his own programs would get funding from congress

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ewan posted:

The other books of his I read I enjoyed too. But then I was like 15.

15 is the demographic that can read and understand what is happening in Clancy's books, but lacks the more developed thought processes that tell them "this is schlock".

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Clear and present danger is the best Clancy movie.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cheesetriangles posted:

Clear and present danger is the best Clancy movie.

I would argue murky strife

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LegoPirateNinja posted:

its one of those sort-of conspiracies that admiral rickover pretended to be terrified of the soviet submarine fleet to ensure his own programs would get funding from congress

I enjoy how the article goes on about how 'quiet' the alpha was. lmbo

Did you know that one alpha is the longest sub in the world?

it was cut in half

Vasily Tokarev
Jul 29, 2016

by Smythe
Just started reading "Flight of the Old Dog" by Dale Brown. It's the first in a long series of aviation / spy novels. The writing is okay I guess. The plot is a little out there, but it was written in the 80's so I can forgive it.

The star of this book is the Old Dog- a top secret B-52 test platform that they use to test weapons / gear on before it gets loaded onto real planes. The blunt nose has been replaced by a sharp SST style cone, rotatory AMRAAM and HARM launcher, radar absorbing skin, this new tech called GPS, and other poo poo.

My one huge gripe is that this guy really likes the phrase "RING LASER GYRO." because everything has one... including a train. :stare:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I don't think it's a proper bookstore unless there are Clive Cussler novels in the bargain bin

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

LegoPirateNinja posted:

All Russian mil tech seems to fall within a range of "just works" or "looks better than it is."

That being said the audacity of their projects is commendable, the Alpha being one of them.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

ded posted:

I enjoy how the article goes on about how 'quiet' the alpha was. lmbo

Did you know that one alpha is the longest sub in the world?

it was cut in half

funny thing about that "caterpillar" drive in the movie: the russians didnt have anything like it, but we did.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Vasily Tokarev posted:

Just started reading "Flight of the Old Dog" by Dale Brown. It's the first in a long series of aviation / spy novels. The writing is okay I guess. The plot is a little out there, but it was written in the 80's so I can forgive it.

The star of this book is the Old Dog- a top secret B-52 test platform that they use to test weapons / gear on before it gets loaded onto real planes. The blunt nose has been replaced by a sharp SST style cone, rotatory AMRAAM and HARM launcher, radar absorbing skin, this new tech called GPS, and other poo poo.

My one huge gripe is that this guy really likes the phrase "RING LASER GYRO." because everything has one... including a train. :stare:

Dale Brown is really mediocre, but at least he hasn't gone nuts to the point of having a talking self-aware B70 Valkyrie poke its nosecone up McNamara's butt for being the guy who cancelled the B70 program IRL. Which happens in a novel that both exists and wasn't written by Chuck Tingle.

Vasily Tokarev
Jul 29, 2016

by Smythe

blowfish posted:

Dale Brown is really mediocre, but at least he hasn't gone nuts to the point of having a talking self-aware B70 Valkyrie poke its nosecone up McNamara's butt for being the guy who cancelled the B70 program IRL. Which happens in a novel that both exists and wasn't written by Chuck Tingle.

Keep going, I'm almost there

Vasily Tokarev
Jul 29, 2016

by Smythe

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I don't think it's a proper bookstore unless there are Clive Cussler novels in the bargain bin

I have read every single one of these books.

I like when the IRL Clive Cussler shows up in the book to help out with something small.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
These pictures from inside a Typhoon class sub are amazing:

http://ru-submarine.livejournal.com/17486.html

Highlights include:

- missile launch tube hatch

- lots of buttons

- the reactor room

- torpedo rack and tube hatch

- submarine-themed video game for sailors to play off duty

- swimming pool

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Do nuke subs just operate submerged all the time when at sea?

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
yes

underwater they move faster, they can't be detected by satellite, and they're impervious to weather

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
"like a swimming pool in a submarine" feels like it should be an expression but I guess i'ts not

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Vasily Tokarev posted:

I like when the IRL Clive Cussler shows up in the book to help out with something small.

Lmbo.

What's a good one to read?

Vasily Tokarev
Jul 29, 2016

by Smythe

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Lmbo.

What's a good one to read?

Everyone reads Sahara. I'm a fan of Dragon: In 1945, a B-29 bomber carrying a third nuclear bomb to Japan is shot down over the sea off the coast of Japan. In 1993, terrorists want to restore Japan's former glory by taking out the United States economy by planting nuclear bombs.

If you're looking for airport fiction, you can't go wrong. There's a ton of them. He's super old now. His kid (who he named after his main character in the books loving lol) is writing them now.. and there are a ton of different spin-off series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Cussler

Scroll down to the bibliography for the list

Vasily Tokarev fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Clipperton posted:

Cheers for this. What are some good mil fic books written in the last few years? Looking for small-unit level stuff with proper combat, not a bunch of scenes of guys walking down Pentagon corridors or terrst-hunting in New York or whatever

Not really what you specified, but I remember Without Remorse as being my favorite Clancy novel. Mostly because it's about one man trying to redeem himself through both a personal and a military mission, rather than Clancy's normal wanking over military hardware.

And Down Periscope is the best submarine film.

• Locked thread