Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

rargphlam posted:

the body was too loud for my friend, i am afraid he's a false, please advise

the body opened for pallbearer down here last year. I was more pre-occupied thinking if I should call the police to check any local dumpsters for dead hookers than being concerned about my hearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

rargphlam posted:

Send him to a Yob show.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

rargphlam posted:

:sever:

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Wormphlegm kicks mega rear end.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i took this girl to a swans gig and she fainted

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 14, 2016

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dyna Soar posted:

i took this girl to a swans gig and she fainted

swans was the band that convinced me that earplugs are a good idea

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
meanwhile Michael Gira doesn't wear earplugs lol

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Sonic filtration is a good idea

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I saw a a dude with a the Body shirt at work recently and it just made me really depressed that they relocated from Providence to a place that doesn't suck

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only recent doom album I have been listening to has been cough's let it pray because I'm really burned out on the genre.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

fantasy zone posted:

The only recent doom album I have been listening to has been cough's let it pray because I'm really burned out on the genre.

it's in a rut, been so for years now. it's more important to have vintage amps than to make good songs.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

fantasy zone posted:

Interesting you'd say that since Let It Prey is just Windhand and Electric Wizard thrown into a blender.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

fantasy zone posted:

There's still some good poo poo out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkC5IJ-39UI

https://serialhawk.bandcamp.com/album/searching-for-light

https://marijuana.bandcamp.com/album/the-enemy

https://authorandpunisher.bandcamp.com/album/drone-machines

https://blackout666.bandcamp.com/

https://beiramusic.bandcamp.com/

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
sludge has become a meaningless now I guess

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

nerve posted:

Interesting you'd say that since Let It Prey is just Windhand and Electric Wizard thrown into a blender.

Local band thing plus while it's doing nothing new its really good at what it does and I still appreciate that. Plus yeah it's going to have windhand influence because one of the main guys is also apart of windhand

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

fantasy zone posted:

sludge has become a meaningless now I guess

the whole stoner metal thing kind of made it meaningless. not that sludge really had a definite genre conventions back in the day.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I feel like sludge has become synonymous with stoner doom now. My understanding is it originally meant doom metal and hardcore punk mixed together. Bands like Eyehategod or Acid Bath. Now it just basically means stoner doom, maybe with one or two faster sections.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

I feel like sludge has become synonymous with stoner doom now. My understanding is it originally meant doom metal and hardcore punk mixed together. Bands like Eyehategod or Acid Bath. Now it just basically means stoner doom, maybe with one or two faster sections.

crowbar were called doomcore by the music press at some point.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

crowbar were called doomcore by the music press at some point.

The deathcore band Black Tongue call themselves doomcore which I think is stupid.

Doom labels are stupid.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Doom labels are what separates us from the animals.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

fantasy zone posted:

Local band thing plus while it's doing nothing new its really good at what it does and I still appreciate that. Plus yeah it's going to have windhand influence because one of the main guys is also apart of windhand

I like Cough, their second album most. Wish they'd come through

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Surprised nobody has said anything about the Boris/Earth tour that's going through America right now. I caught the Chicago show last night. Boris are playing Pink with some of the new deluxe edition tracks interspersed throughout the set, plus some other new stuff I haven't heard for the encore. Surprisingly, they were not that loud, but I think some of that is the venue--everyone seems to play at a safe volume at Metro. I was putting in earplugs for the slow, super heavy songs, but things like Pink and Woman on the Screen needed fully open ears to hear properly. Maybe it was different on the floor.

Also, I feel like a bad doom fan, but I just can't get into Earth. The modern stuff that they actually play is more appealing than the old drone material, but I just can't immerse myself in the atmosphere they're trying to create. Also Dylan Carlson's voice is funny, but that's neither here nor there.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 15, 2016

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Earth is not exactly gripping music and it has virtually nothing to do with doom metal in my opinion. I really like some of his albums, but almost all of them are more like background music than something I would actively listen to.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

skasion posted:

Earth is not exactly gripping music and it has virtually nothing to do with doom metal in my opinion. I really like some of his albums, but almost all of them are more like background music than something I would actively listen to.

you heard the old stuff? pentastar, phase 3? it has everything to do with the modern stoner doom poo poo, from their overall sound to the style of their riffs.

hell, hex & the bees made honey is like the greatest metal band reinvention ever. they went from being hugely influential and basically spawning a genre to abandoning it yet still sounding like themselves.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 15, 2016

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

They're both slow and have distorted guitars that are tuned down, but I don't see Earth 2 as belonging in the same genre as Candlemass, or even close, really. Did early Earth influence stuff that came after that was definitely doom metal? For sure, but I think it's a stretch to say that it's doom metal itself.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I mean, drone metal is usually considered a type of doom, isn't it?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

I mean, drone metal is usually considered a type of doom, isn't it?

who cares

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Really depends on the individual act, doesn't it? I'm not saying Earth haven't had an influence on doom metal, they totally have, but I think it's really hard to say that something like Black Boned Angel's music has so much in common with that of Saint Vitus that we should think of them as the same thing.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

skasion posted:

Really depends on the individual act, doesn't it? I'm not saying Earth haven't had an influence on doom metal, they totally have, but I think it's really hard to say that something like Black Boned Angel's music has so much in common with that of Saint Vitus that we should think of them as the same thing.

genres are basically useful for defining music very broadly. visionary artists never quite fit within any established boundaries.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Dyna Soar posted:

genres are basically useful for defining music very broadly. visionary artists never quite fit within any established boundaries.

see: toto

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Yacht rock rules!

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Dyna Soar posted:

Yacht rock rules!

It always bums me out how Steely Dan gets included in the Yacht Rock genre. I mean I get it, but I think their inclusion in that "genre" is not really fair to them. Steely Dan rules and I'll fight about that.

edit:
Thanks for posting these. I'll be checking out Serial Hawk, Beira and Blackout.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 15, 2016

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Surprised nobody has said anything about the Boris/Earth tour that's going through America right now. I caught the Chicago show last night. Boris are playing Pink with some of the new deluxe edition tracks interspersed throughout the set, plus some other new stuff I haven't heard for the encore. Surprisingly, they were not that loud, but I think some of that is the venue--everyone seems to play at a safe volume at Metro. I was putting in earplugs for the slow, super heavy songs, but things like Pink and Woman on the Screen needed fully open ears to hear properly. Maybe it was different on the floor.

Also, I feel like a bad doom fan, but I just can't get into Earth. The modern stuff that they actually play is more appealing than the old drone material, but I just can't immerse myself in the atmosphere they're trying to create. Also Dylan Carlson's voice is funny, but that's neither here nor there.

I was there too, and it was a total blast. Love the hell out of Earth, and was totally satisfied by their set despite missing the first two songs (Dylan's voice is hilariously unfitting though). Boris slayed, and managed to do a lot with just a couple of smoke machines and the venue lights.

Also, Dylan came onstage for Boris' encore and tore through Ouroboros is Broken, which is my personal show highlight along with Just Abondoned Myself.

NuclearPotato fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 15, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

NuclearPotato posted:

Also, Dylan came onstage for Boris' encore and tore through Ourouobos is Broken, which is my personal show highlight along with Just Abondoned Myself.

Was that what that was? I at first thought it was something from Amplifier Worship, and every setlist.fm entry said they played two newish unreleased songs. Guess I have a correction to make to my review.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I love every single Earth album.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Yeah, it was absolutely Ouroboros. For reference, the Hibernaculum version:

https://youtu.be/ZjVajZ1Wp48

The other song was probably Kilmeister, their contribution to the Ninja Slayer soundtrack, but I'd have to see a video from the show to be certain.

https://youtu.be/ASnJfVIK8lE

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I went to the Earth/Boris show.

I enjoyed both artists performances very much and thought they were complementary to each other on the bill.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

butros posted:

I went to the Earth/Boris show.

I enjoyed both artists performances very much and thought they were complementary to each other on the bill.

This much is true. Apparently Shitstorm (a grind band with members of Torche) were supposed to be on this tour as well. THAT would've been jarring.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I'm going to the SF show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:

Was that what that was? I at first thought it was something from Amplifier Worship, and every setlist.fm entry said they played two newish unreleased songs. Guess I have a correction to make to my review.

Those songs are from an EP they released this year called Mr. Shortkill. I noticed they were selling it at the table, but I think it was $30 and that's just a bit too much for a 3 song thing. Got the Pink vinyl instead.