Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Basically. A repertoire of one elite primary pitch, one average secondar pitch, and a bunch of lovely tertiary pitches gets simplified to an elite primary pitch and an average tertiary(in terms of usage) pitch and you don't need anything else

You also eliminate the problem a lot of guys have in that they tire after 60-70 pitches and lose velocity/command in the middle of a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Accident Underwater posted:

You also eliminate the problem a lot of guys have in that they tire after 60-70 pitches and lose velocity/command in the middle of a game.

This reminded me of Zack Greinke. How many times have guys turned their careers around (as starters) after being sent to the pen? In 2007 after 14 starts the Royals put him in the bullpen for the rest of the year, in 2009 he won his Cy Young. And has never been 'bad' again until arguably this year.

With him it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was totally mental and he just wasn't trusting he'd last long enough throwing his best stuff all game, still I don't remember that happening with many other guys.

e: I guess I have a potential example staring me in the face as a Royals fan if Danny Duffy can keep his run going. Probably something I just haven't noticed that goes on a lot.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tigers just got the Braves to take Mike Aviles in a trade. Al Avila has the Dombrowski magic.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

This reminded me of Zack Greinke. How many times have guys turned their careers around (as starters) after being sent to the pen? In 2007 after 14 starts the Royals put him in the bullpen for the rest of the year, in 2009 he won his Cy Young. And has never been 'bad' again until arguably this year.

With him it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was totally mental and he just wasn't trusting he'd last long enough throwing his best stuff all game, still I don't remember that happening with many other guys.

e: I guess I have a potential example staring me in the face as a Royals fan if Danny Duffy can keep his run going. Probably something I just haven't noticed that goes on a lot.

Wasn't he diagnosed as bipolar?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wasn't he diagnosed as bipolar?

He has depression / anxiety.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Grittybeard posted:

Ryan Dempster was a starter from 1998-2003, the Cubs picked him up in 2004 as a bullpen reclamation project, he became the team's closer for 2005-2007, went back to being a starter (and went 17-6 with a 154 ERA+ in 2008, good for 6th in Cy voting) and was a good enough starter through 2012 that the Rangers sent the Cubs Kyle Hendricks for him at the deadline.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Rand alPaul posted:

Tigers just got the Braves to take Mike Aviles in a trade. Al Avila has the Dombrowski magic.

On the flip side, the Braves got the Tigers to take Erick Aybar, which I wouldn't have thought possible.

Aybar has actually been hitting pretty well of late, but he still couldn't field for poo poo and he's an idiot on the bases. Little bit of difference in salary, I guess, maybe a million or so. The minor-league catcher seems like org depth.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Reports that Dansby coming up Wednesday!

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Reports that Dansby coming up Wednesday!

Little surprised, thought they would leave him down through the Southern League playoffs and then bring him and Albies up together once that was done. Exciting though, likely means they will have him in Atlanta from Opening Day on next year.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
I don't know if this link will work but here is Gary Sanchez killing a ball.

Edit: I'm bad at posting look it up yourselves

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

humpthewind posted:

I love Gary. This is turning into a pretty fun rebuild.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

humpthewind posted:

First homer
http://m.mlb.com/video/v1057887983?player_id=596142

Second homer
http://m.mlb.com/video/v1058058983?player_id=596142

Edit:
I forgot to say that Sanchez and Judge and the rest of the young yankees are cool and good.

https://twitter.com/YankeesWFAN/status/765696785922846720?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 17, 2016

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

CubsWoo posted:

Ryan Dempster ... was a good enough starter through 2012 that the Rangers sent the Cubs Kyle Hendricks for him at the deadline.

Hendricks was a fringe prospect at best at the time of the trade, he was basically a throw-in on a deal that happened because the Rangers weren't willing to pony up for Greinke(a huge mistake in retrospect)

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Dear Theo please sign Papelbon for the minimum and kick the tires on him because I want the other Cubs fans in SAS to have another questionable player on this team to feel guilty and conflicted about when they come into the game

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Hope the Cubs sign Paps and no one gets fired for playing this when he comes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgpZ0fUixs

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So this Yankees series vs the Jays is...fun?

What the gently caress is happening in the world?

theacox posted:

Hope the Cubs sign Paps and no one gets fired for playing this when he comes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgpZ0fUixs

Doesn't Paps also insist on being the closer? So the Cubs are seriously considering picking up noted clubhouse cancer and relegating Chapman to the setup role?

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 17, 2016

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

CubsWoo posted:

Dear Theo please sign Papelbon for the minimum and kick the tires on him because I want the other Cubs fans in SAS to have another questionable player on this team to feel guilty and conflicted about when they come into the game

Yes...put the lovely player and person on my team to troll other fans of my team. This is a good thing I want to happen

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It would be absolutely twisted to see Paps take a swing at Kris Bryant down the stretch. Wonder how my fellow Cubs fans would grapple with that one!

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I like that all non-Cubs fan posts are becoming chaos related to the Cubs burning to the ground.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
There is absolutely no way Papelbutt takes the closer roll away from Chapman and I sincerely hope that keeps him very far away from my team.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I want to see Papelbon throw a huge baby fit when he loses the closer job with some scrub team in Azerbaijan

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Papelbon honestly can't be any worse than Joe Smith or Clayton Richard or (insert lovely relief pitcher that has been bad in the Cub bullpen this year) and the presence of many former Red Sox players and front office will dull his angry edges

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

CubsWoo posted:

Papelbon honestly can't be any worse than Joe Smith or Clayton Richard or (insert lovely relief pitcher that has been bad in the Cub bullpen) this year and the presence of many former Red Sox players and front office will dull his angry edges

Yeah, supposedly Lester likes the idea of Papelbon on the Cubs.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

:siren: DAMIEN MAGNIFICO :siren:

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

R.D. Mangles posted:

:siren: DAMIEN MAGNIFICO :siren:

Translation: Braun is dead.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I hope the Cubs sign Papelbon and he punches Maddon in the face.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

theacox posted:

Translation: Braun is dead.

No, I had just never heard of him before today and I'm obsessed with the fact that there's a guy named DAMIEN MAGNIFICO. I like Braun even if he's besmirched my people.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

No, I had just never heard of him before today and I'm obsessed with the fact that there's a guy named DAMIEN MAGNIFICO. I like Braun even if he's besmirched my people.

words can't begin to describe how much I hate you.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Well, Braun is still dead. RIP.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
I seriously can't believe the Braves could get anything for Aybar. I mean, granted, what they got wasn't anything to write home about, but still.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Poque posted:

words can't begin to describe how much I hate you.

oy vey iz mer

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N: Chase Utley has hit two home runs including a grand slam in his first game back in Philly. He's gotten about a half-dozen ovations tonight, and took a curtain call for each dinger.

V: Would like to hire any and all available Mets and Phillies fans to boo/cheer for Chase every time the Dodgers play the Giants.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I about fell off my chair when I saw highlights of the first standing O. This is the town that booed Santa Claus

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
:lol: Ryan Howard and Chase Utley both homered it's like it's still the mid-2000s.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MrMojok posted:

I about fell off my chair when I saw highlights of the first standing O. This is the town that booed Santa Claus
Yeah but Chase Utley is the greatest Phillie since Mike Schmidt and was the best player on the city's only championship team in the last 30 years.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/AldoSoto21/status/765726254834196480

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Dingleberry Jones posted:

I seriously can't believe the Braves could get anything for Aybar. I mean, granted, what they got wasn't anything to write home about, but still.

This Braves management team has had their fuckups but I do like that they tend to fix them sooner rather than later.

Markakis is really all they need to clear off the books now, will be quite a bit of salary flex room after that.

SlumPrincess
Jan 1, 2006

Soon....soon I'm gonna make you a star

How is this legal? Rules state that the player must be on or over the playing surface, and standing on the wall doesn't seem like it should be enforced.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Walls are in play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Amen

But dear lord do I wish Ian Kinsler was the more talked about jewish player

• Locked thread