Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

We can't negotiate with ISIS because they're fascists to the core, the point of their existence is violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I didn't see the debate, but this made me cackle like a maniac:

quote:

He says he is a feminist, but does not cry often. He is asked to look at a photo of Ant and Dec, but he does not know who they are. “I apologise humbly to Ant and Dec,” he says.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Breath Ray posted:

I think we can and should negotiate with Isis. Negotiating is when two groups don't share aims and seek a compromise.

Good idea. Off you go, let us know how you're getting on. ISIS will be more than willing to help in that, they'll even make a video.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Why is looking at pictures of Ant and Dec part of a political debate?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Baron Corbyn posted:

Why is looking at pictures of Ant and Dec part of a political debate?

I suppose it's one of those horrid "would you have a pint with candidate X" type questions.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Praseodymi posted:

Owen Smith trying to steal Corbyn's "Get everyone round the table" stuff...

...with ISIS.

He really is bloody useless, that the best two candidates the PLP could find to challenge Corbyn were Smith and Eagle speaks volumes as to why they're losing control of the party.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

"These airstrikes are wrong, at a time when negotiations are still going. The coalition forces have acted in a reckless and provocative manner. Both sides need to get around the table, drop the rhetoric, and come to an agreement."

-owed smithiband

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Junior G-man posted:

I didn't see the debate, but this made me cackle like a maniac:

'A feminist, but does not cry often'?

Add another one to the ever-increasing stack of peculiar comments from Owen Smith about women, I guess.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Breath Ray posted:

I think we can and should negotiate with Isis. Negotiating is when two groups don't share aims and seek a compromise.

Maybe if we asked nicely they would make the yazidi women just normal slaves instead of sex slaves.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/765883142624382976

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Unless this means "I think May is doing a fine job of killing the poor" these "Labour Supporters" can gently caress right off.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

You can be dissatisfied without thinking any of the alternatives are better.

Theresa May also has the benefit of the entire press pushing each other out the way to tongue her arse.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
UKIP's leader in Wales has resigned the UKIP whip in the Assembly. :munch:

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Praseodymi posted:

We can't negotiate with ISIS because they're fascists to the core, the point of their existence is violence.

That's loser talk. We've negotiated with all sorts of unsavoury types before with great results. Just look at Iran and Sinn Fein brought into the international community. One of Isis's greatest PR things is they're different to anyone who's come before but they aren't.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Praseodymi posted:

Unless this means "I think May is doing a fine job of killing the poor" these "Labour Supporters" can gently caress right off.

It doesn't say who do you like best, it's asking if they're doing their job well. Theresa May is doing a decent job of being the Tory leader and not being David Cameron, and keeping her head down apparently

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Theresa May also has the bonus in the current post-Brexit xenophobia that she/Home Office unlawfully deported thousands of foreign students. UKIP would be proud.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Breath Ray posted:

That's loser talk. We've negotiated with all sorts of unsavoury types before with great results. Just look at Iran and Sinn Fein brought into the international community. One of Isis's greatest PR things is they're different to anyone who's come before but they aren't.

Sinn Fein had a purpose beyond being as reprehensibly evil as humanly possibly.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Breath Ray posted:

Not too sure about Iran but I'm pretty sure neither of them are fascists, you just don't like them.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Breath Ray posted:

They arent new.
Theyre just the biggest of their kind.

But comparing them to Iran and sinn fein.

Uh
No

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 17, 2016

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Junkozeyne posted:

That's conflating two different issues though. Most countries agree that anything physical that you have can be warranted even if it would incriminate you. A key to a safe, a device like an RSA token or even your fingerprint to unlock a biometrical locked device are things that you have and you have to cooperate with the courts. The other issue is whether content of your mind can be warranted for possible self-incrimination. It's a contested issue if you have to actively remember stuff like a password and I would argue that if that isn't self-incrimination then you pretty much gut the whole concept of it. If the police wants to access the contents of locked physical devices they are welcome to try to overcome the encryption but expecting your cooperation is worrying.

But that was a legal question settled within months of the first combination lock being sold. If the way into a warranted premises is only in someone's mind they still have to open it up. RIPA Ch.3 was about codifying the previously common-law offence in a new context to avoid throwing the dice in court, as has tended to be the trend in English law since World War 2.

Guavanaut posted:

In the case in question what the CACP want amounts to the powers given under RIPA in the UK, that an individual can be compelled on pain of criminal charge to hand over an encryption password, which does not currently exist in Canada. Opponents are saying that it amounts to self-incrimination, and therefore should not be allowed. That's similar to what Liberty said in the UK, but they were going against far more powerful forces than a police chiefs' lobby and during a period of mass moral panic, so it fell on deaf ears. That's the bit that I'm hoping falls flat on its rear end.

In the case of compelling a service provider to hand over information, that's the bit that has just been declared unconstitutional without a warrant, one with proper judicial review rather than rubberstamped. That's a different issue to the self-incrimination one, but exists in the same arena, and also one where Canada diverges from recent UK policy.

You can set a precedent in more ways than through common law court cases, if Canada plays hardball against the police chiefs on the first issue, especially during a time when the UK is discussing entry into the European marketplace on the Canadian treaty model spearheaded by someone who both thinks that entry into the European marketplace on the Canadian treaty model is realistic and is also outspoken on civil liberties, and during a time that the EU themselves have said that government-mandated backdoors and forced decryption are bad, it could lead to some policy backtracking.

I don't know enough about Canadian law to comment on the exact circumstances, but I strongly suspect requiring full judicial review (or anything other than a rubberstamp with review at trial) of disclosure will last about ten seconds when they realise just how large a task that is. When simple traffic offences can require dozens of disclosure notices (checking phone records to see if a device was in use can take 5 or 10 requests on it's own) then unless you're going to employ hundreds of new judges it'll fall to pieces immediately.

The vast, vast majority of RIPA Ch.2 disclosures are this sort of very simple thing. The IP Bill does address some of the more contentious edge cases around using that data in ways that represent a more severe infringement on civil rights, and I'll be very surprised if the Canadians don't settle on to that sort of system (or perhaps the one in most of the USA where it's handled as an administrative subpoena - effectively the same thing but with even less oversight).

And Canada forcing us to drop RIPA as part of a trade deal (which just isn't going to happen, but let's play along for the sake of the argument) wouldn't be setting a precedent by any sane interpretation of the words or the concept.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Praseodymi posted:

Not too sure about Iran but I'm pretty sure neither of them are fascists, you just don't like them.

I didn't say they were. I just said they were unsavoury. Basically I don't believe in Isis exceptionalism. Again, the point of negotiation is to explore the possibility of peaceful coexistence.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Breath Ray posted:

I didn't say they were. I just said they were unsavoury. Basically I don't believe in Isis exceptionalism. Again, the point of negotiation is to explore the possibility of peaceful coexistence.

You're dumb.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

This is great lmao

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Praseodymi posted:

You want 50% of current labour supporters to gently caress off?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37104864

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/17/owen-smith-suggests-islamic-state-should-be-involved-in-syrian-p/

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/aug/17/isis-should-get-round-the-table-with-uk-middle-east-says-owen-smith-labour

youch

he's definitely going to walk it back as soon as an advisor can pass him a note

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

mediadave posted:

Makes a change from McTernan wanting 90% to.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

And Canada forcing us to drop RIPA as part of a trade deal (which just isn't going to happen, but let's play along for the sake of the argument) wouldn't be setting a precedent by any sane interpretation of the words or the concept.
Canada won't force the UK to drop RIPA as part of a trade deal with them. The EU might force the UK to harmonize data law as part of any new trade deal with them though, which if the EU continues with their interpretation of known vs. possessed things in the absence of UK input, in combination with the North American model, might set a (social/cultural) precedent that causes the UK to reinterpret the current legislation of mandatory disclosure and other more recent legislation on encrypted data (which may or may not include all data which is not data).

If won, it is at the very least an encouraging sign of pushback against self-incrimination based on thought, which will hopefully spread.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

ronya posted:

he's definitely going to walk it back as soon as an advisor can pass him a note
He doesn't need a note, he needs this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcrPoIyTf-c

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

You're dumb.

I'd like to know what you disagree with and why otherwise push off

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

tooterfish posted:

He doesn't need a note, he needs this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcrPoIyTf-c

I dunno about you but I'd far rather Owen Smith not get a competent press officer.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

As abysmal as these are for labour its not totally surprising. In here job as PM May has blocked chinese spies from melting down power plants and hosed of on holiday, there really isn't much yet (that can't be pawned of as a continuation of the last government) to actually be dissatisfied with.

Even as someone who despises May from her time at the Home Office if someone rang me up and asked me I wouldn't really say I was dissatisfied with what has happened so far perhaps because I'm dreading whats still to come :ssh:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

We don't know. We would all hope that it happens quickly, we would all hope they stop being a murderous terrorist organisation and try and bring about peace

EDIT: wait wtf "Owen's experience of helping to bring about peace in Northern Ireland is that eventually all parties who truly believe in delivering peace have to be around the table." What did Owen Smith have to do with the Northern Ireland peace process lmao. Wasn't he still working for Pfizer back then?

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 17, 2016

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

I dunno about you but I'd far rather Owen Smith not get a competent press officer.
I'm just a bit angry that he'd just hand the Tory press that on a plate. Some are already ignoring Corbyn's comments and spinning it as "Labour would negotiate with ISIS!!!11!"

The thick oval office needs a talking to, not a note.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
He SPADed for the northern ireland secretary before that, 2002-2005

ie largely overseeing decommissioning and not letting it run off the rails. the hard work had already been done - inasmuch as he played a role, he didn't screw it up though

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Breath Ray posted:

I'd like to know what you disagree with and why otherwise push off

I disagree with your continued posting.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

vodkat posted:

As abysmal as these are for labour its not totally surprising. In here job as PM May has blocked chinese spies from melting down power plants and hosed of on holiday, there really isn't much yet (that can't be pawned of as a continuation of the last government) to actually be dissatisfied with.

Even as someone who despises May from her time at the Home Office if someone rang me up and asked me I wouldn't really say I was dissatisfied with what has happened so far perhaps because I'm dreading whats still to come :ssh:

Similarly, I'm not too terribly pissed off with her except for one glaring omission that she didn't replace Hunt.

I'm sure there are things that are going on backstage which will piss me right off when they become public knowledge, but mostly right now things have been pretty quiet.

I mean, if I was polled I'd probably say I was dissatisfied on principle, so

tooterfish posted:

I'm just a bit angry that he'd just hand the Tory press that on a plate. Some are already ignoring Corbyn's comments and spinning it as "Labour would negotiate with ISIS!!!11!"

The thick oval office needs a talking to, not a note.

He, like the rest of his PLP rebel comrades, needs to do his job or dehumanise himself and face to deselection.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

I disagree with your continued posting.

Put ppl you dont like on ignore instead of whining

Baron Corbyn posted:

We don't know. We would all hope that it happens quickly, we would all hope they stop being a murderous terrorist organisation and try and bring about peace

EDIT: wait wtf "Owen's experience of helping to bring about peace in Northern Ireland is that eventually all parties who truly believe in delivering peace have to be around the table." What did Owen Smith have to do with the Northern Ireland peace process lmao. Wasn't he still working for Pfizer back then?

Wow great minds eh!

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Breath Ray posted:

Negotiating with ISIS would make heads roll.

Literally.

mediadave posted:

50% of labour supporters are loving morons so yes, I would like them to gently caress off into the sea.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The big disaster out of the debate this morning isn't Owen Smith's appeasement towards ISIS. Nope, it's Jeremy Corbyn's ignorance of Ant & Dec.

Is it just me or is the idea that you have to have staffers to brief you on pop culture so you can pretend to be normal not really cynical, unpleasant & disingenuous?

Just reminds me of The Thick of It where Hugh is forced to watch bits of Eastenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
Unless they are taking part in a quizshow I do not care if MPs can identify celebrities and it does not affect my voting decisions.

• Locked thread