Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

define what makes a woman though

you can't

so the word has no meaning? its just whatever you want it to mean? come on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

a clown posted:

im mad youre using this sick samus av

Why

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
theryre both stupid dipshits but this part seems reasonable?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It is conflating gender role and physical sex where I feel the transgender issue goes off track. A boy who plays with dolls should not feel like they are "really" a girl--they should instead feel it is perfectly okay for they, a boy, to play with dolls. Do you see what I mean?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Because the definition with an a. next to to it literally says so.. I said they are not distinct, and they really aren't--gender is sometimes used to refer to something besides physical sex, but in general usage both words have the same meaning and in fact most people conflate "gender" with "gender roles". How hard are you going to work to just avoid saying that you're wrong?

the definition of 1. isn't even anything to do with biological sex, it's a definition of a grammatical term you stupid stupid stupid bitch

a subclass within a grammatical class (as noun, pronoun, adjective, or verb) of a language

OPEN YOUR EYES AND READ

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I bring you the loving dictionary and you're claiming it's not saying what it says, and then you link the definitions and it says that they are the same thing. it links to the loving definition of sex. The two are conflated to be the same, because in common usage they are.

See, now I'm mad.

HUR IN COMMON USAGE moving the goalposts like a moron

half the people also think creationism is real so forgive me if 'common definition of a word' isn't a good enough reason to deny people's identity

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard

Orkin Mang posted:

so the word has no meaning? its just whatever you want it to mean? come on

No, just that there are different valid definitions. As in, more than one, less than infinite. Probably less than 10.

a clown
Oct 13, 2012

by Smythe

because i want to use it bitch

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Do you not know what a dictionary is!? I swear to Alla-

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

drop your argument my friend. it is not worth the effort

you're right, it's sleep time.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

im just wacky like that

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

a clown posted:

i mean, you sound like a fag.

this is every response to every post on something awful

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Do you not know what a dictionary is!? I swear to Alla-

you're right, it's sleep time.

Moridin920 posted:

the definition of 1. isn't even anything to do with biological sex, it's a definition of a grammatical term you stupid stupid stupid bitch

a subclass within a grammatical class (as noun, pronoun, adjective, or verb) of a language

OPEN YOUR EYES AND READ

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

define what makes a woman though

you can't

a vagina and a pair of ovaries

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
OR TAKE LITERALLY ONE MINUTE AND GOOGLE 'sex and gender difference' AND PERUSE THE NUMEROUS SCHOLARLY ARTICLES TELLING YOU YOU'RE WRONG

https://www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/resources/sexuality-definitions.pdf
http://vcampus.uom.ac.mu/soci1101/431_distinction_between_sex_and_gender.html

honk honk

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

a vagina and a pair of ovaries

so, people who have had a hysterectomy or an oophorectomy aren't women anymore?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 18, 2016

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

i know some chinese guys who will pay huge money for unwanted dicks. like think of a number you think is outrageous and dohble it

a clown
Oct 13, 2012

by Smythe

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

i know some chinese guys who will pay huge money for unwanted dicks. like think of a number you think is outrageous and dohble it

im thinking of 2 billion dollars

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
You're not even arguing it's not true. The dictionary literally says it. It. Literally. Says. It. In the post you quoted, multiple times, it's right there. You're just arguing for it's own sake.

Moridin920 posted:

OR TAKE LITERALLY ONE MINUTE AND GOOGLE 'sex and gender difference' AND PERUSE THE NUMEROUS SCHOLARLY ARTICLES TELLING YOU YOU'RE WRONG

See, I could do that, or I could do what I did, and check the loving dictionary.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

a clown posted:

im thinking of 2 billion dollars

gently caress off no you weren't

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
orkin is trying to blow away the hair to see if venus has a dick or a vagina i hope that was very clear, i thought about adding a caption that said "i am blowing away this hair to see if venus has a dick or a vagina" but i really wanted the piece to stand on its own.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PBS Newshour posted:

orkin is trying to blow away the hair to see if venus has a dick or a vagina i hope that was very clear, i thought about adding a caption that said "i am blowing away this hair to see if venus has a dick or a vagina" but i really wanted the piece to stand on its own.

layered as all great art is.thankyou

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You're not even arguing it's not true. The dictionary literally says it. It. Literally. Says. It. In the post you quoted, multiple times, it's right there. You're just arguing for it's own sake.

See, I could do that, or I could do what I did, and check the loving dictionary.

lol you're so proud of your ignorance it's breathtaking

the loving APA and other numerous medical articles? nah lol I CHECKED A DICTIONARY AND READ IT WRONG therefore I'm right :downs:

8-Bit Scholar posted:

YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT BIOLOGICAL GENDER/SEX AND THAT DEFINITION IS THE DEFINITION OF A GRAMMATICAL TERM how loving retarded can you get

it's like if something said 'female is the connector the male pins go into' and you think that's talking about humans

you know way this is happening? because you think you're right and you're so biased that you can't even read a sentence with an open mind without twisting it to support your own erroneous point. it's fuckin' sad. READ THAT poo poo AGAIN. it's not talking about biology.

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!

Moridin920 posted:

https://www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/resources/sexuality-definitions.pdf
http://vcampus.uom.ac.mu/soci1101/431_distinction_between_sex_and_gender.html

honk honk

so, people who have had a hysterectomy or an oophorectomy aren't women anymore?

Oh I get it now.

So transgender people still shouldn't be allowed to switch which bathroom they go to, because they switch their gender roles and not their sex!

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

it's a knickknack, patty wack. give that frog a loan

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i have a really hot body

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Orkin Mang posted:

i have a really hot body

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mean jesus look in 'How to write 101' for college everyone gives you the Manual of Style right it's a basic basic textbook from the Oxford University Press

even it

Chapter: Correct and Preferred Usage posted:

Sex refers to the biological characteristics of males and females. Gender includes more than sex and serves as a cultural indicator of a person’s personal and social identity. An important consideration when referring to sex is the level of specificity required: specify sex when it is relevant. Choose sex-neutral terms that avoid bias, suit the material under discussion, and do not intrude on the reader’s attention. See also , Age and Sex Referents. Note: Use man or men when referring to a specific man or group of men, woman or women when referring to a specific woman or a group

thinks you're wrong as gently caress and it's not a feminist text or anything it's just 'here's how to write an essay'

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fartmaster posted:

Oh I get it now.

So transgender people still shouldn't be allowed to switch which bathroom they go to, because they switch their gender roles and not their sex!

Hey, you get it now.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Orkin Mang posted:

i have a really hot body

I'm really pretty

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hey, you get it now.

oh so I am right when it supports your ultimate goal of regulating where people pee hahahahahahahahahaha

honk honk

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
jk I look like rasputin

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard

Lord Binky posted:

jk I look like rasputin

Rasputin got laid constantly though, from both genders.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i cant wait for jim the first woman president

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DrowningInDreams posted:

Rasputin got laid constantly though, from both genders.

he had a big dick tho

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Moridin920 posted:

he had a big dick tho

hey another way we look the same

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
sorry about youre thread op

i mean it was poo poo to begin with but hey look at this as an opportunity to try a new thread out!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I regret reading, and now posting, in this thread.

ama

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

I regret reading, and now posting, in this thread.

ama

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!
I knew this one kid who's last name was Tran years ago and I invited him to my pool party one time. I think I remember him being reluctant to take off his shoes and swim because he said his feet were super white and it was embarrassing, but I pointed out that everyone's feet are like that and then I think he swam. Maybe he didn't know how to swim? Idunno

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Thanks for a good thread tonetta. I skimmed the middle part but I think everyone has scratched their itch for a little while regarding this forum's idiosyncratic approach re this issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Thanks for a good thread tonetta. I skimmed the middle part but I think everyone has scratched their itch for a little while regarding this forum's idiosyncratic approach re this issue

You can just click ny question mark if you want the A/T, I didn't really reply to much else

• Locked thread